Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Recommended specs for scholar

Recommended Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz / AMD FX 8150 3.6GHz or better
Memory: 8GB RAM or better
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (700 series) or better / ATI Radeon HD 7850 (7000 series) or better
DirectX: 11
Network: Broadband Internet Connection
Hard Drive: 23GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX11 sound device
Additional Notes: Controller support: Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (or equivalent) recommended

i7 and 8gb ram :lol: , and it fucking runs on ps3 :lol:

http://bandainamcous.tumblr.com/post/114719000226/are-you-ready-to-experience-a-whole-new-dark-souls

The "next-gen" SotFS version is not gonna run on PS3. It's just the current PC version with updated API and some minor visual changes.

PS3 SotFS is a DLC bunde just like DX9 SotFS on PC.

^ pretty much. The only visual differences are a color filter, glowing soul absorb and forced dark rooms or areas. The only thing I can think that requires more resources is the fact that enemy aggro zones have been expanded meaning that mobs will chase you everywhere now.

nimateb

Augur
Bloodborne creator Hidetaka Miyazaki: ‘I didn’t have a dream. I wasn’t ambitious'

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

Not sure were to place this, so i place it here.

LOL I identify so much with that interview. I too didn't have a console when I was a kid and only read borrowed books, gaming magazines and comics. I remember passing the time imagining how the games would play, and inventing meanings to books I didn't understand.

Silva

Arcane
Thinking about getting this "First Scholar of something" remake.

Also, is a rogue/thief a viable yet ? Last time I played (around 1,5 year ago) it wasnt.

praetor

Arcane
judging by comments/first impressions on leddit:

if you thought DaS2 base was gank-central, avoid SotFS like the plague. there's a bazillion enemies everywhere now. it's basically gank squad after gank squad and more annoying than fun (particularly considering the durability bug is still not fixed, so you'll go through many weapons from bf to bf)

Perkel

Arcane
What do you mean?

I finished the game with a thief. I think it was easier than in the first one.

Although to be fair dex sucked.

What do you mean by easier ?
Doing one boss whole hour ?

"Thief" like class in not viable at all. Both bleed and poison are shit against pve and there are only handful of bosses that are viable with poison.
Archer. Now that is completely unviable class in ds2.

DX scales differently from STR because most of weapons are simply faster or have better reach than STR weapons. They are fine for PvP but again for PvE it becomes problem especialy gang squad pve where you need to put one good hit instead of 3-4 fast hits because they will club you to death.

BTW recently i tried spear class in DS2. At start i thought they are shitty but later on they are very powerfull and most of them have strike instead of thrust damage when you roll and do fast attack which is superb with that reach for fight stuff like armor clads or other heavy armor dudes.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I'm thankful now I never bought any DLC for dark souls 2. It makes that £20 upgrade price a little easier to stomach. Not that I'm rushing to buy it now. A nice steam sale and £10 or less will suffice.

Tried out the "demo" version for a bit. Lighting and ambient occlusion are noticeably improved and I guess shadows too. Doesn't seem to be much heavier on performance, runs perfectly on gtx 760 with 4.00x DSR (that's 3360x2100 on my 1680x1050 monitor).

Dark Souls isn't even challenging to me anymore and I still find Dark Souls II hard as fuck. I don't get how people manage to find it easier than first game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dark Souls isn't even challenging to me anymore and I still find Dark Souls II hard as fuck. I don't get how people manage to find it easier than first game.
Probably because hexing is/was op, and so is/was maces.

And a few other things.

Perkel

Arcane

It is all due to move sets.
I noticed it very early that most of bosses and enemies in DS2 have very short moveset list AND they are really linear in how to deal with them.

Take for example gargoyles in Belfry. You need to fight at 3 of them at the same time. Yet you can walk all you want because most of their movesets misses you and they are slow as fuck where in case of DS1 fighting without sunbro is actual challenge.

compare first time and next tries for bosses in two games:

Take for example normal path of DS ---> Taurus (hard first time) ---> Dragon (optional super hard first time) ---> Gargoyles (easy with sunbro, mediacore to hard without) ----> Capra (super hard first time) ---> Gaping (hard first time) ----> spider bitch (mediacore)

Then take DS2 common route ----> Last Giant (mediacore) ---- > DragonRider (easy as fuck first time) --- > Pursuer (depends if your roll. If not hard if yes piece easy) ---> Sentry (easy first time) ---> Ruin Sentinels (hard first time) ---> Lost Sinner (joke boss)

DS2 only very late bosses are good. As people said some of those bosses shouldn't even be bosses (sentry ?, pursuer ?, dragonrider ?)

Perkel

Arcane
Just tried new edition.

For 10$ it is worth it i think. New enemy placement is good so far. Haven't died yet but i was close. In FoFG i had few oh shit moment. If this will continue for rest of game then it is worth it.

Putting it down though. PoE is were it is now.

Murk

Arcane
What do you mean by easier ?
Doing one boss whole hour ?

"Thief" like class in not viable at all. Both bleed and poison are shit against pve and there are only handful of bosses that are viable with poison.
Archer. Now that is completely unviable class in ds2.

Poison is viable on many many bosses, with only a few obvious exceptions that are themselves poisonous and a few other less obvious exceptions like Vendrick himself (tho with his own mechanic, poison would render that boss fight even more pointless). I used poison on a lot of bosses in my SL 1 run and it works quite well, especially with a fast attacking dagger.

Poison aside, I don't know what "thief" means since there are no stealing abilities in game (other than picking up loot, I guess) but if you mean dex based light armor character who uses backstabbing and fast small weapons then yes, it absolutely is viable. Even when I was still on my level 800+ monster my regular weapon was a manikin dagger for a lot of PVE and PVP, with a rapier as a fallback for bosses and a longsword for pvp.

DX scales differently from STR because most of weapons are simply faster or have better reach than STR weapons. They are fine for PvP but again for PvE it becomes problem especialy gang squad pve where you need to put one good hit instead of 3-4 fast hits because they will club you to death.

I disagree, rapier is an amazing PVE weapon even with crap dex scaling because of the ridiculous counter damage it can do. I nearly always use rapier for boss fights except for those few bosses that take bonus damage from striking damage, in which case I'll use a high counter hitting hammer (crafstman's hammer for example.) This works for both very high level (level 800+ on ng +7, or low level like say my most recent twink character on NG0.)

Even with many enemies, rapier is great for tight areas so you can stab multiple enemies, or to simply give a quick stab then roll. It's obviously different than hitting 3+ enemies with a zwei or pancaking with a greathammer but then that's the whole point of using a different weapon. Likewise, Katanas are very powerful against bosses as well spears like the heide spear or, with the recent poisebreak buff, the santiers once again.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
It is all due to move sets.
I noticed it very early that most of bosses and enemies in DS2 have very short moveset list AND they are really linear in how to deal with them.

Take for example gargoyles in Belfry. You need to fight at 3 of them at the same time. Yet you can walk all you want because most of their movesets misses you and they are slow as fuck where in case of DS1 fighting without sunbro is actual challenge.

i dislike DaS2 vanilla as much as the next DaS1 fanboy, but this is utter bullshit. a) DaS2 bosses on average probably have more moves than DaS1, but like some examples in DaS1, they're used very very rarely. b) solo Gargoyles in DaS1 "actual challenge"? are you serious?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom