Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Murk

Arcane
Such is the path of the honorable, the righteous, the skillllled.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
LOL, so many down votes in that topic.

Man, his fans are fucking butthurt.

Cadmus

Arcane
I finished the game. I thought that the regular mobs in the NG+ would yield way more XP... This way I just prefer not to respec and mow them down with the great sword. That sucks. I also thought that shit would remain in the shops, lol so I didn't buy the looking glass knight set:((
Is the NG+ worth playing at all? What should I respec to? I have no idea how the magic works in this game. I tried a new char with DEX and the game seems so much easier, I killed many of the bosses on the first try, just walking around them and stabbing with the rapier forever, but the trash mobs annoy me because I can't just swing a big log to kill 3 in 1 hit.

Murk

Arcane
Mobs do give more souls, as do bosses. The quantity goes up per NG cycle.

The game changes a bit as there are quite a few more surprises and twists, and you're also far more likely to be invaded assuming you're playing online.

Try making a magic char and limit yourself to a specific subset of weapons. Like play a sorcerer who can only use curved swords and magic, no shields. Change up the style, basically.

Cadmus

Arcane
Mobs do give more souls, as do bosses. The quantity goes up per NG cycle.

The game changes a bit as there are quite a few more surprises and twists, and you're also far more likely to be invaded assuming you're playing online.

Try making a magic char and limit yourself to a specific subset of weapons. Like play a sorcerer who can only use curved swords and magic, no shields. Change up the style, basically.
I noticed they give more, but eh I was expecting more more, but I guess it will get better with the bigger mobs.
I got killed 3 times on the NG+ spawn by the falconeers, lololol. I panicked I would lose my souls from the endgame bosses.
How does a DEX build with a stabby small weapon deal with a group of enemies? With my GS I just stand there and swing once but with the rapier it was fucking annoying trying to kill more than 1 enemy.

I'm fucking lazy to read anything other than this thread, what stats do I need for spells?
For miracles it's faith and attunement? Does int do anything for faith characters?
fuck I'll go look it up.

Perkel

Arcane
Rapiers really are quite decent in DaS2. They have the kind of range you get from larger weapons, and use relatively little stamina (which is far more important than the attack speed, tbh) so you can get in a lot more hits. And with the stone ring, the difference in poise breaking is negligible anyways.

Even daggers can be somewhat decent with the new damage rings in the DLC. Although their range is so shit it's probably not really worth it. Also, the magnetic sword is OP as fuck.

Don't bother with bleed though, it's a total joke. Hit an enemy 15 times to trigger a bleed that deals the damage of 2 normal attacks. Utterly useless outside of pvp.

I killed more people with first dagger you get in multi than with any other weapon, spell or wathever. Only people who i couldn't match were cheaters since they couldn't die.

I think that stone ring + poison dagger + lightingshortbow is greatest combo in PvP.

Keep your distance, attack with dagger combo when they are out of stamina and run them over with shortbow if they will try to estus/moss themselves. If they do it rinse and repeat.

Since its normal attack is slash instead of thrust like in most poison daggers it mostly doesn't bouce off from shields

Perkel

Arcane
I finished the game. I thought that the regular mobs in the NG+ would yield way more XP... This way I just prefer not to respec and mow them down with the great sword. That sucks. I also thought that shit would remain in the shops, lol so I didn't buy the looking glass knight set:((
Is the NG+ worth playing at all? What should I respec to? I have no idea how the magic works in this game. I tried a new char with DEX and the game seems so much easier, I killed many of the bosses on the first try, just walking around them and stabbing with the rapier forever, but the trash mobs annoy me because I can't just swing a big log to kill 3 in 1 hit.

It is. You will be suprised many times how some things can differ. NG++ and more are basically the same as ng+.
What you can expect from NG+ are new red phantoms and some differences in enemy placement but not much. What matters is that you will be surprised many times which keeps game fresh.

Murk

Arcane
Good point, I haven't played in a while so a lot of the recent changes still escape my notice -- tho with SM tiers, he'd still get more action in NG+ than in NG.

Cadmus if you want even more souls, wear the silver serprent ring + tseldora or nahr alma gear. Or the symbol of avarice, heh.

As for hitting many enemies -- it depends on the attack. For example, katanas are dex weapons but their horizontal swings hit plenty of enemies. Same with stuff like the estoc's 1h slash (tho not quite a pure dex weapon.)

Try curved swords, or something like the short sword.

Cadmus

Arcane
Good point, I haven't played in a while so a lot of the recent changes still escape my notice -- tho with SM tiers, he'd still get more action in NG+ than in NG.

Cadmus if you want even more souls, wear the silver serprent ring + tseldora or nahr alma gear. Or the symbol of avarice, heh.

As for hitting many enemies -- it depends on the attack. For example, katanas are dex weapons but their horizontal swings hit plenty of enemies. Same with stuff like the estoc's 1h slash (tho not quite a pure dex weapon.)

Try curved swords, or something like the short sword.
I'm wearing the ring + jester's gloves and if something isn't trying to kill me I'll wear a 3rd item. I haven't actually checked if the clothes differ in souls gain bonus, do they?
Good idea with the katanas, I completely forgot about them!

Murk

Arcane
Jester's gloves are the only thing that grants more souls, the Tselodra set all give individual bonuses which stack, as they do with the silver ring.

Also, the Nahr Alma stuff gives more than the Tseldora stuff but it is only 2 pieces (robe + hat). Jester gloves are the same as Tselodra gloves I believe.

Anyway, if you really want more souls, just use an ascetic and kill one of the bosses again. Easiest way for me was to just PVP, tbh, and I'd regularly farm souls in the belfries.

Cadmus

Arcane
Jester's gloves are the only thing that grants more souls, the Tselodra set all give individual bonuses which stack, as they do with the silver ring.

Also, the Nahr Alma stuff gives more than the Tseldora stuff but it is only 2 pieces (robe + hat). Jester gloves are the same as Tselodra gloves I believe.

Anyway, if you really want more souls, just use an ascetic and kill one of the bosses again. Easiest way for me was to just PVP, tbh, and I'd regularly farm souls in the belfries.
I had some robe for souls as well, does it stack with the gloves and the ring?
I should be checking this shit in-game =/

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Cadmus Hmm, I find dual wielding rapiers to be excellent for trash mobs. So much so, I tend to get bored and change weapons/reroll. But maybe that's because I know the layouts and can rush/position to avoid getting overwhelmed. I dunno, I'm glad you tried it though and hopefully it gave you a taste of life without shields. Maybe the best weapon for you is the murakumo. It's a fun weapon with a pretty versatile moveset. The one handed R1s are fast and wide which will probably suit you for trash mobs. The two handed R2 is a pancake attack with knockback, so you can splat people or knock them off ledges etc. Really helped me out when I first did the Abyss Covenant. Had a lot of fun lining up the phantoms and smacking them into the abyss.

Damned Registrations That's a really good point about low stamina use, can't believe I forgot that! And yeah bleed sucks in PVE. Which pisses me off because I really like a lot of the weapons that do bleed damage. Especially the flamberge, such a sexy weapon:

Bloody%20Mary_zpsyfk1orgw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
huh i got back to game after a while (few months) loaded save from brume tower.

Starting to fuck shit up and died like a bitch. Huh i don't remember mobs having so much life in NG...
Started again. Also dead after a while. hmmm....

check my gear. Nothing upgraded, 50% allone knight gear without helmet (FS) 500 defense... hmmm..
check my weapon. Heide spear +10 ~420dmg
hmm...

facepalm.

I forgot that i played whole game with convenant of the champions.

Loaded up my lighting bolt churning chick. HOLY FUCK lighting bolts are fucking weak now.

DragoFireheart

Fromsoft saw DSP's videos and decided to nerf the shit out of Lightning spells to spite him.

DLC stuff is all about physical damage. Offensive miracles have been nerfed. Use 'em for support or don't bother at all. I think GRS/CSS are only decent there.

Murk

Arcane
With big enough number stacking, they'll be fine -- he's in NG so an infused + buffed weapon works I guess, but it may not be very effective given time constraints between casts.

In higher NG+ iterations even very high infused AR weapons like dark crypt sword or dark sacred chime hammer under perform against say giant warrior's club or even just good ol gatsu UGS. The % reduction of elemental damage really shows up, and the DLC mobs are especially resistant to elemental stuff compared to main game mobs. Was a good choice, IMO, as magic made too many things far too trivial. I guess that's why Bloodborne took it out entirely ;DD

Really tho, you should just slap on a +10 bandit knife or big ol STR weapon and backstab the bastards.

DragoFireheart

Or just use Craftsman's Hammer.

Everything loses to that thing in PvE. 130 counter damage, strike damage, can be gotten very early on.

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, it's one of the best for sure. Even has the good hammer moveset (like the club). If only its range wasn't such shit (especially when 2handing).

Murk

Arcane
-5 brofists for using most played out joke and misspelling ladle

further -5 brofists for failing to explicitly exclude mundane infusion

Murk

Arcane
hey that's now way to speak a memester

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom