Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
In DS1 all weapons of the same type also use the same moveset

Except that's not true. Not that i used every weapon available but the long sword was obviously different from the broad sword and the claymore was obviously different from the bastard sword, where as in DS2 all weapons of the same class have the exact same move set.

Special weapons have special move sets sure (often shitty ones) but that's the case in either game and was not what i was talking about. My plan for this character was to stick to blunt weapons for the theme but it's actually kinda pointless to use anything other than the mace since the morning star, the hammers etc all move the same. Maybe that was the case too in DS1 haven't used much blunt weapons there but it wasn't the case with bladed weapons.

Did you test both one handed and two handed movesets? I'm pretty sure Long Sword and Broad Sword don't have exact same moves. Long Sword 2H moveset is the reason why it's one of my favorite weapons in the game and why I win most Bellbro fights. I really doubt Broad Sword has those attacks. Been a long time since I tested it though.

Blunt weapons do mostly have the same moves and it's the reason I find them too boring to use.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Long sword has multiple poke attacks that broadsword doesn't (rolling, 2h running, 2h r2).

It's what made it such a favored weapon in PVP.

Short sword (and hollow soldier sword) have similar moveset to longsword except they also have 1h poke attacks (r2).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
In DS1 the differences in moveset between weapons of the same type, if they are any, are minimal (mostly different Heavy Attacks) - and it's swords that tend to have them, the other weapon types don't. In DS2, at least for swords, there's 2 completely different movesets for weapons of the same type (see longsword vs heide knigth sword).
But again you have to take Powerstances into account.

My plan for this character was to stick to blunt weapons for the theme but it's actually kinda pointless to use anything other than the mace since the morning star, the hammers etc all move the same.

It's not pointless because the weapons have different stats and properties that have a substancial influence on their performance.
And again this is also the case for DS1.

Wunderbar

Arcane
My plan for this character was to stick to blunt weapons for the theme but it's actually kinda pointless to use anything other than the mace since the morning star, the hammers etc all move the same. Maybe that was the case too in DS1 haven't used much blunt weapons there but it wasn't the case with bladed weapons.
morning star can cause bleed build-up.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Man those DLC bosses lmao. Finished the second DLC, onward to the last one and then i'm going to give Souls a rest before i start DS3, this time for real. I'm frikking exhausted DS2 is longer than i expected.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Man those DLC bosses lmao. Finished the second DLC, onward to the last one and then i'm going to give Souls a rest before i start DS3, this time for real. I'm frikking exhausted DS2 is longer than i expected.
DS2 is longer than 1 and 3 combined, or at least it feels like that.

In which order are you playing DLCs? What's the last one? Do you plan on completing 100% of what you can do?

|I don't see why not. Casting speed increases and at 43 you get one extra cast on all your spells. AND you also get agility.

Sure if it's that important. I'm satisfied with cast speed I have at 30 and one extra cast doesn't seem like a big deal since I can just use an herb in situations when I run out of spells. And those don't happen that often. I'd rather put those points in VIT/END/VGR. But then I never made pure FTH build so not sure how that works with it.

Alphard

Magister
ok some sort of myazaki curse won't let me complete this game.
i have tried the game ""demo"" twice and twice i dropped it . now i was intentioned to complete it, i bought on steam and it won't launch at all . it seems no one has my same problem on the web. all posts are 5 years old and talk about white screen but my game won't launch at all

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't think going above 30 attunement was really needed though.

|I don't see why not. Casting speed increases and at 43 you get one extra cast on all your spells. AND you also get agility.

How much points would you give DS2 vanilla out of ten?

About 8 out of 10. It's not as bad as i though it would be, essentially still a Souls game, just has some rough edges that in a lesser game would have dragged the score at least to a 6 but flawed or not DS2 is still not popamole trash so i can't give it a low rating (i guess this is why people say that despite everything DS2 is still way better than all the Souls clones out there). I'd say the part that won me over is that the levels are still very good. When i heard the level design was garbage i was worried as that was one of the things i liked best about DS1, but it's still actually good, at least as far as the individual maps go. The problem with the level design is more about the overall than the individual maps. When you take the game as a whole it kinda feels confused and disjointed, but the maps themselves are still good. Also, the fact some areas look ugly probably didn't help, but that has nothing to do with gameplay.

Actually, a good way to put it is that i don't feel the difference between the base game and the DLCs is that drastic. The DLCs are better thought out for sure but they are not so superior as to make the base game unplayable, which is what i sort of expected considering the reputation of the base game. The base game is definitely inferior but not so much as to feel like a completely different game.

The thing i liked the least are bosses. One, there's just too frikking many of them, and then over half of them are not that interesting and a couple are just rage inducing (like the Ornstein shit. What were they thinking). With the DLCs its even worst, despite the improvements in design, just because by that point you are just sick of boss fights and now you have to do multiple bosses within a short span of time and they are all harder than the bosses in the base game. It's not the fault of the DLCs but man the burn out is real, especially since now bosses are in full "git gud" mode where you have to make sure you dodge shit at the exact right time and they introduced shit like delayed attacks to trick you and weird hit boxes that can only be avoided with the invincibility frames and it's starting to feel like routine at this point. Like, i know i'm going to wipe dozen of times so why bother even trying pretending. On the last boss in the second DLCs, that samurai guy, i made all the mobs on the way extinct just so i could focus on the boss in peace.

I should have probably taken a pause before tackling the DLCs but then again from experience when i leave a game alone without finish it for a while i tend to start from scratch so i gotta finish it now or i'll never do it. Shouldn't have played DS1 and DS2 back to back i guess, bad idea.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DS2 is longer than 1 and 3 combined, or at least it feels like that.

In which order are you playing DLCs? What's the last one? Do you plan on completing 100% of what you can do?

I'm doing them by order of release.

I think the game is definitely longer, it doesn't just feel longer, but the problem is that it kinda feels longer than it should be. I'm at a point now where i'm not even paying attention to loot as i got so much shit there's no point even bothering tracking anything (i still try to look for everything for the sake of level exploration but when i loot something i barely read what it is). I'm also at SL 190 lmao so much for having a "build" i'm even putting points in intelligence now just to unlock the NPCs because why not.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can't, don't have a PS4. Next on the list are DS3 and Demon Souls on the PS3 emulator. After that, Seiko but i'll wait until i actually buy it, whenever that's going to happen. I got a copy i removed from some inventory but there's no point, might as well wait for the usual steam sale and play it properly.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't forget that DSII is also the only Souls game that made NG+ to have differences from NG so I guess as a proper completionist you gotta do that too. :troll:

Not now, that's for sure lmao.

Besides, i'm still not sold on NG+ now even less. All sense of progress, of character building is gone already. It would be like going back to Candlekeep right after finishing Throne of Bhaal i just don't think this mechanic is for me. Whenever i decide to replay this i think i'll rather use that PvE covenant that makes everything harder. I'll also go deprived right off the bat and try a jack of all trades build as there's really no point sticking to a theme, not in this game at least. I think i'll leave that for the other Souls games where that actually makes more sense.

After that, Seiko but i'll wait until i actually buy it, whenever that's going to happen. I got a copy i removed from some inventory but there's no point, might as well wait for the usual steam sale and play it properly.

Sekiro is a completely offline game so you're not actually losing anything by playing non removed version. Also it might just serve as a nice change of pace from Souls, though it does have some similarities still, like bonfires and estus.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think i'll play some turned base game next i'm completely sick of twitch games for now, i need a respite. Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, DS1 and now DS2. Enough lol

All sense of progress, of character building is gone already.

So what are your stats now? Could be a good idea to try some much heavier weapons and raise some more VIT to support them. Also points in END are never really wasted in my opinion, it always adds +1 stamina after a soft cap. Greatsword, for example, is a really nice weapon that hits like a truck and while slow, has some nice moves. I've actually won a lot of PvP fights with it. Could never win any PvP with slow weapons in DS.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fuck me that frozen level with those frikking horses.

I thought i'd gone through all the rage inducing shit this game has thrown at me but i guess it had one more ace up its sleeve lmao. It's the last level and i was looking forward for some rest but i guess i have to feel pain right up to the last second.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom