Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
/comes to this thread expecting to read some impressions, instead finds a lot of talk about graphics.

:hmmm:

Azazel

Arbiter
PS3 footage, from two months back.

Unbelievable that From gutted the lighting in the shipped version within the last two months. They better have a good explanation for that.

The explanation is that the PS3 consistently drops the framerate as low as 16fps. :smug:

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
The
/comes to this thread expecting to read some impressions, instead finds a lot of talk about graphics.

:hmmm:

Somehow it's to be expected. The game goes mainstream and attracts the attention of worthless neofucks and the bethesda/bioware shit munchers. The only surprise is that they haven't started a petition demanding the inclusion of romance storylines

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sorry to say but anybody who plays the Souls games for the pretty graphics should go back to Skyrim; this game looks good enough (and the PC version will take care of that anyway) and you play the game for its gameplay

Bahamut

Arcane
Sorry to say but anybody who plays the Souls games for the pretty graphics should go back to Skyrim; this game looks good enough (and the PC version will take care of that anyway) and you play the game for its gameplay

Brah its not really about graphics, from showed much better and climatic lighting in pre release videos, and now people see this just after release, they have right to be a little disappointed

still, imagine if PC version will get better lightning, the butthurt would be glorious

praetor

Arcane
Brah its not really about graphics, from showed much better and climatic lighting in pre release videos, and now people see this just after release, they have right to be a little disappointed

still, imagine if PC version will get better lightning, the butthurt would be glorious

this. DeS had pretty damn atrocious graphics (almost a decade prior, the aforementioned Blade of Darkness had an engine several orders of magnitude better/more advanced, only the assets were really inferior) but excellent art design that made (near-)full use of the engine, DaS1 even more so... it's really disappointing seeing a company like From (that everybody thought was one of the last great "bastions" of gaming, a company with integrity) fall to such low marketing bullshit. i seriously hope patch1 fixed all that graphical bullshittery, but i doubt it (at the very least, even if they reverted to the old lighting model [or if it was the old one all along], all those "tiled to the maximum" textures and removal of asset details are 99,9% still in)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
There should be butthurt if the PC version doesn't get it. 8-year-old consoles not being able to handle it on a technical level is a reasonable explanation at least. How do you explain removing the lighting from the PC build as well? "We didn't feel like supporting it."?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Now now no need to cut each others dicks of in protestation; they probably did that because they had a simple conpromise; performance vs eye candy on 8 year old hardware.
Belive me guys the game looks good, the lighting is conpromised in some areas yeah but the overall mood is great.
We know that the demos we saw are from the PC version anyway so that will look pretty enough with bloom and all that good shit graphic fans love; me I rather have agood looking game with a stable framerate which might dip as low as 20 but with good reponse and great gameplay
If the PC version has better textures, better shadows and stable 30 FPS I am sold, everything else is gravy

>skyrim
>pretty graphics

good one mate:lol::lol::lol:

Azazel

Arbiter
Some of the changes to LOD, textures, and scene clutter are so drastic that without a side by side comparison I would never have realized they were the same areas.

Now, this is not the most egregious recent example of fake in-game footage by far, and I am greatly anticipating this game for the actual gameplay, but I would still like to see a false advertisement lawsuit against a publisher one of these days solely to put a stop to this shit.

Show what you launch, not what you wish you were launching.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why yeah, Skyrim with my ENB hooked up to my B-I-G HDTV look phat and fine to me brah, so me be killin em Caliente hotties in their chainmail bikinis too!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Now now no need to cut each others dicks of in protestation; they probably did that because they had a simple conpromise; performance vs eye candy on 8 year old hardware.
All this butthurt is jut because the PC release isn't simultaneous; obviously the consoles would look worst than PC footage, but they still look great and exactly as was advertised in console gameplay videos.

Dick move was what Rockstar did, using PC footage on GTA V when there isn't even a PC version announced. Making a multi-platform release and using the better footage is perfectly ok.

if you could mode the fuck out of dark souls 2 version from april 2013 like you can with skyrim it woud probably look better than fucking witcher 2:M

All this butthurt is jut because the PC release isn't simultaneous; obviously the consoles would look worst than PC footage, but they still look great and exactly as was advertised in console gameplay videos.

Dick move was what Rockstar did, using PC footage on GTA V when there isn't even a PC version announced. Making a multi-platform release and using the better footage is perfectly ok.
I would agree if it was just that, using footage from a superior version - that actually exists - to promote the game; but apparently the improved lighting model was running on an actual PS3 in an earlier version, as demonstrated by recent side-by-side videos such as the one linked in this very thread a couple of pages ago. That's just inexplicable to me, unless the wrong config flag went up in the retail version or something, which could be fixed by a patch, but info is still conflicting about the matter.

Anyway, I think gameplay is king, yes, but you'd have to be a hypocrite to say graphics don't contribute to atmosphere in this series - I was hyped up for the improved lighting, it would be a shame to have it just scrapped like that without any clear explanation.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I would agree if it was just that, using footage from a superior version - that actually exists - to promote the game; but apparently the improved lighting model was running on an actual PS3 in an earlier version, as demonstrated by recent side-by-side videos such as the one linked in this very thread a couple of pages ago.
I saw the footage, but nowhere it says that is from a PS3... in fact, it has Xbox controller UI, so it's probably the PC one...

praetor

Arcane

i feel like everybody is giving a free pass to From because everybody is a hypocrite on this site (it's totally wrong when "bad" companies do it, but it's ok when "good" companies do it), because in every other case when this happened the company was bashed. and then i'm the dark souls fanboy

I would agree if it was just that, using footage from a superior version - that actually exists - to promote the game; but apparently the improved lighting model was running on an actual PS3 in an earlier version, as demonstrated by recent side-by-side videos such as the one linked in this very thread a couple of pages ago.
I saw the footage, but nowhere it says that is from a PS3... in fact, it has Xbox controller UI, so it's probably the PC one...
I didn't realize there was no beta on the 360 - you might be right, probably PC footage then.

Azazel

Arbiter

I would agree if it was just that, using footage from a superior version - that actually exists - to promote the game; but apparently the improved lighting model was running on an actual PS3 in an earlier version, as demonstrated by recent side-by-side videos such as the one linked in this very thread a couple of pages ago. That's just inexplicable to me, unless the wrong config flag went up in the retail version or something, which could be fixed by a patch, but info is still conflicting about the matter.

Anyway, I think gameplay is king, yes, but you'd have to be a hypocrite to say graphics don't contribute to atmosphere in this series - I was hyped up for the improved lighting, it would be a shame to have it just scrapped like that without any clear explanation.

Config flags don't usually swap out textures en masse and remove scene clutter assets, though I guess they could be responsible for the drop in LOD across the board if that's the case.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

i feel like everybody is giving a free pass to From because everybody is a hypocrite on this site (it's totally wrong when "bad" companies do it, but it's ok when "good" companies do it), because in every other case when this happened the company was bashed. and then i'm the dark souls fanboy
No, they are just saying that if the gameplay is good (and it is good in DS2), than fuck graphics.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
If anyone is interested, EpicNameBro is now back from writing the official guide of FROM and is doing a walkthrough of the game.

He mentions the lighting issues at one point. And how FROM didn't get to do much of what they had wanted with it in the end. So my expectations of the PC version being like the gameplay demo have gone down quite a lot.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Free pass on WHAT? I told you, the game I'm currently playing looks just like the PS3 footage they released. There was better looking footage? Yes, but it will have a PC release, with confirmed better texture and effects, so what's the drama? The Twitcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 will also look better on PC than on consoles, as every PC port ever does. That doesn't mean they are lying by using PC footage.

If the PC release comes and the game doesn't look as good as the trailer, THEN you get rightfully butthurt.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Free pass on WHAT? I told you, the game I'm currently playing looks just like the PS3 footage they released. There was better looking footage? Yes, but it will have a PC release, with confirmed better texture and effects, so what's the drama? The Twitcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 will also look better on PC than on consoles, as every PC port ever does. That doesn't mean they are lying by using PC footage.

If the PC release comes and the game doesn't look as good as the trailer, THEN you get rightfully butthurt.

praetor has gone full retard.

Shall I start listing morons that can't read?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

All rabid fan bases are retarded, they get caught up in the zeitgeist, you'll need to give it about 6 months by which time the hype will die down. Only then will any reasonable discussion about the game take place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom