Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

praetor

Arcane
I must take most of this back... I did more PvP and found the issue.

In Dark Souls, when I couldn't/didn't want to toggle out of a combo, I'd block instead of rolling away (I just got used to that). Here, since blocking isn't instant, it doesn't let you escape a stunlock. If you mash roll instead, you escape it, and I've been enjoying PvP much more since I realized that. The lack of backstab fishing is refreshing, and the guard break critical is incredibly fun. All weapons still seem to break too much poise, though. I know some degree of poise works because my arrows didn't stagger several of the people I invaded, but melee weapons seem to break a ridiculous amount of poise.

it seems PvP poise is kinda broken and you were right that poise for PvP is ignored or somehow totally different. i've come across a couple threads on gamefags (lol :P) where people tested it with friends and it seems pretty much all weapons stagger on 2nd hit (one i was reading earlier today claimed he staggered a friend with 80 poise on the 2nd hit of a falchion). seems like more patches will be needed before things start functioning properly

btw, why did they remove the aiming for spells? i've seen a couple of people complain they did that, and ENB's 2nd vid confirms they did that. are strong casts and "hold casting" also removed?

Kanedias

Savant
They were removed for "balance reasons", or at least that's the explanation I got.

By the way, the Covenant of Rodents is amazing, and it's not just Forest Hunters 2.0, as I thought.

If you enter the area they protect, they forcibly summon you into their world as a gray phantom, and all the enemies there are hostile to you, and won't attack the host. In addition, the area they are in has hundreds of Pharos Lockstones which unlock more traps and more enemies, so with dedication they can turn these zones into a trap hell. The covenant leader offers some consumables that break your equipment as well (think scraping spear in firebomb form). I got snatched by them a couple of times and it was a really nice game of cat and mouse through the level (no pun intended), as they tried to use the traps and enemies to kill me.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Had to take this with my phone and yeah it looks very blurry but notice the way the shadows interact with the main character where one side of his body is iluminated and the other is in shadow, this effect sadly didn't make it to most areas (again I am guessing it is a compromise for performance) but it still looks good. I downloaded the patch since launch so I couldn't say if it is different from the release version
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg181/abrecabron/IMG00525-20140312-1428_zpsf49ce7ba.jpg

praetor

Arcane
They were removed for "balance reasons", or at least that's the explanation I got.

By the way, the Covenant of Rodents is amazing, and it's not just Forest Hunters 2.0, as I thought.

If you enter the area they protect, they forcibly summon you into their world as a gray phantom, and all the enemies there are hostile to you, and won't attack the host. In addition, the area they are in has hundreds of Pharos Lockstones which unlock more traps and more enemies, so with dedication they can turn these zones into a trap hell. The covenant leader offers some consumables that break your equipment as well (think scraping spear in firebomb form). I got snatched by them a couple of times and it was a really nice game of cat and mouse through the level (no pun intended), as they tried to use the traps and enemies to kill me.

is the area they protect mandatory? if not, what would be a players' motivation be to venture there other than engaging in some varmint cleansing? cool treasures? (but yeah, it does sound pretty awesome and in a way it's the new gravelord covenant, except limited to 1 area... would be cool if they expanded on it a bit in a DLC or something)

Kanedias

Savant
Well, there are optional bosses there, and one of the areas they protect connects to a mandatory area (though there are other ways to reach it). I don't know what else is there yet.

Anyways, first half of the game done!

ibo9mkHzjKK5RP.gif
iw3FZ6wNak9iG.gif

tocry.png
This doesn't even categorize as a downgrade, it's a straight up redesign in my opinion.

The Rat King invasion thing seems to punish the host, not the gray phantom. If you die as a host - you die and lose humanity/health. A grey phantom just seems to re-appear in their own world without consequences? That's what I noticed anyhow.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
THIS IS RUMOR CONTROL

I just started the tutorial area before going online and downloading anything.

Version 1.00, calibrations 1.0 (lol?).

When you start, note any stalagmites or rocks. Awful looking and jagged. They almost look like a solid color of white or something. Lighting in many areas seemed slightly washed.

So I did the start area, killed some hollows, explored. Make sure you explore! So then I got to the chick that lets you level up. Bright area, but could still see some washed looks here and there.

I then downloaded the 125 MB patch (version 1.01, calibration 1.03).

Version 1.01, calibrations 1.03

First thing I noticed was HOLY SHIT the game seemed much smoother. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I went back to the rocks and stalagmites in the tutorial area. Now mind you, this is a old system and they still looked like ass, but compared to before it's like someone added added textures and shadowing. They were no longer a solid white colour. Areas seemed darker, light seemed more brilliant, and even the frame rate seemed a little smoother.

DLC items are fucking garbage btw. You're not missing anything.

I am now sitting on my fiancee's feet. My game actually game in early so I have all day tomorrow to play it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Are there some interesting covenants for people playing singleplayer?
is there a way to become hollow, instead of looking like such an anime fag?

Kanedias

Savant
There's a covenant that opens up a new area with a bonus boss, so yeah, there's a single player covenant. Most of them (read, all of them but that one) are oriented towards multiplayer, though.

You become a hollow when you die and the more times you die the worse you look.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks Kanedias!

@CK, from what I have seen so far, you actually dont. I know this is a japanese game and i mdont want to be reminded of that whenever I see my characters face

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Finally got this game last night. Got a cool t-shirt and a copy of the black armor edition. Played for about 2 hours. Picked the sorcerer class. First thing I noticed was how fast she casts the soul arrows. I Managed to die in the first two minutes by falling off the side, next to the path. Killed these two big monsters in the area after the bonfire, saw a coffin by a lake, and I thought, "What could go wrong?" Oh. Then i made my way to Manjula, where I accidentally joined the covenant that makes the game harder because I thought I was hitting the no button, then i switched and hit the yes button on the 3rd prompt. It's all I ever wanted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom