Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Denuvo DRM Thread

Ravielsk

Magister
Resident Evil Village crack completely fixes its stuttering issues
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/resident-evil-village-crack-completely-fixes-its-stuttering-issues/

Pirates saved RE8 users from stuttering. Now they are happy... As long as they would download cracked version and play cracked version. Imagine all hypocrites who are suffering stuttering because they don't want to use free pirated version...
But Denovo doesn't affect performance! Denovo told me so! /s
The fact that gaming customers didn't give Denovo the boot by now is just embarrassing. So much for vote with your wallet I get.

The problem is that modern gaming is infested with casual fags who have little to no understanding of how computers work so they let themselves be easily hoodwinked into believing even the most random of BS. A lot of the had 0 experience with DRM solutions of old and just end up approaching the whole topic form a purely "social perspective", which means they assume that anyone against Denuvo is a whiny pirate. I recommend reading threads like this one for Shining Resonance Refrain where that is essentially the stance many assume. Thing is they are correct, its whining if you dont care about(or more accurately understand) this sort of stuff.

To them its a non-issue because it has not yet made their lives harder but as we recently learned with Might and Magic X when it starts making their lives harder its already too late to do anything.

lightbane

Arcane
Isn't enough to merely do DRM checks when launching the game, they have to make sure they do it while performing regular video game activities.
Not only that, but IIRC they have Denuvo perform more and more intrusive checks, since checking the connection to the server every few animation frames in one of the latest A. Creed games.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there honestly still an open question about Denuvo and performance at this point?

I thought it had been pretty conclusively proven that depending on where the triggers are added it can impact everything from loading times to general framerate.

Isn't enough to merely do DRM checks when launching the game, they have to make sure they do it while performing regular video game activities.

Checks/triggers are normally added at random parts of the game to make it harder for crackers to remove.

Most Denuvo games right now can have hundreds of triggers spaced out through the whole game, makes it much harder for crackers to find them all and remove them. Makes it a bit of a cat/mouse thing with crackers having to hunt down every potential trigger individually.

Just adding them at the start would make the performance impact less significant but also make it easier to crack.

deama

Prophet
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/resident-evil-village-crack-completely-fixes-its-stuttering-issues/

Pirates saved RE8 users from stuttering. Now they are happy... As long as they would download cracked version and play cracked version. Imagine all hypocrites who are suffering stuttering because they don't want to use free pirated version...

Its funny how history repeats itself. I remember how Assassins Creed 1 was basically unplayable on steam because it would stutter every 2 seconds due to the game trying to connect to a server Ubisoft shutdown years prior.
Wasn't this for assassin's creed 2? The one where they forced you to connect to a server every chapter or so and verify your authentication? I remember the crackers eventually making a virtual private server for that and slowly "spoofing" the checks so the game thinks it's communicating with the actual server.
Man, I didn't realise it back then that in 10 years we'd be dealing with that shit often, and it's probably gonna get worse too.

On a side note, I recently bought need for speed heat at a discount and whilst playing I noticed that occasionally the game would stutter, kinda like it just dropped 5-10 frames or something, every few minutes or so. Not really a big deal while playing, but interesting to notice considering it uses denuvo.

Ravielsk

Magister
Wasn't this for assassin's creed 2? The one where they forced you to connect to a server every chapter or so and verify your authentication? I remember the crackers eventually making a virtual private server for that and slowly "spoofing" the checks so the game thinks it's communicating with the actual server.
Man, I didn't realise it back then that in 10 years we'd be dealing with that shit often, and it's probably gonna get worse too.

On a side note, I recently bought need for speed heat at a discount and whilst playing I noticed that occasionally the game would stutter, kinda like it just dropped 5-10 frames or something, every few minutes or so. Not really a big deal while playing, but interesting to notice considering it uses denuvo.

Yes, I still have the original AC2 disc that I can no longer play because its registered to a account on a server that no longer exists(to a email address from a provider that also no longer exists), so I am entirely unable to play it without cracks. But there Ubisoft had the basic decency of moving that game onto Uplay, with AC1 they did not even bother informing people that the game needs a server that does not exist anymore.

Either way its a retarded problem to have especially now more than 10 years after release.

ferratilis

Magister
Imagine how terrible your DRM has to be that even shills at Digital Foundry would call you out for your bullshit. They have asked both Denuvo and Capcom for response, we'll see what happens.

flyingjohn

Arcane
This is actually great publicity for denuvo.
Anybody making custom drm instead of established ones will probably think twice. Denuvo devs can just say:
"Sure,you can make whatever other drm you want and we will integrate it with our solutions. Unfortunately,we can't guarantee it won't be a another village since we are only responsible for our own drm.
Did we also mention it is cheaper to hire us then make your own drm?"

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
This is actually great publicity for denuvo.
Anybody making custom drm instead of established ones will probably think twice. Denuvo devs can just say:
"Sure,you can make whatever other drm you want and we will integrate it with our solutions. Unfortunately,we can't guarantee it won't be a another village since we are only responsible for our own drm.
Did we also mention it is cheaper to hire us then make your own drm?"
They are still co-responsible.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there honestly still an open question about Denuvo and performance at this point?

I thought it had been pretty conclusively proven that depending on where the triggers are added it can impact everything from loading times to general framerate.

If you check the past 8 or so pages, you'll see it only remains an open question because the people looking for Denuvo's impact, are measuring the wrong things.

The majority of Game-engines scale in non-linear ways with CPU power; the exception are games assuming a fixed time between frames (e.g. that 30 frames = 1 second)
Denuvo remains a primarily CPU based affair,
and for some reason they're measuring framerates with a GPU bottleneck, instead of comparing CPU usage at a sensible baseline (e.g. 60 FPS @ high)

The non-linear scaling of game engines actually mean that by giving it 5% more CPU cycles, the impact can even be something absurd like 50% more frames (assuming no GPU bottleneck),
or even the inverse, which is a big reason stutters are commonly observed with Denuvo.
I have a post somewhere that breaks down a few ways games approach their update/physics cycles.
While such things are interesting statistics in the context of a specific game, they're unfortunately useless in quantifying the actual impact of Denuvo and its ilk.

Denuvo shills make good use of the ambiguity that allows too:
Look at this guy, he benchmarked them and found good performance on both! (because he hit a GPU bottleneck)
You're all just a bunch of entitled manbabies who want to pirate games!

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

If you check the past 8 or so pages, you'll see it only remains an open question because the people looking for Denuvo's impact, are measuring the wrong things.

The majority of Game-engines scale in non-linear ways with CPU power; the exception are games assuming a fixed time between frames (e.g. that 30 frames = 1 second)
Denuvo remains a primarily CPU based affair,
and for some reason they're measuring framerates with a GPU bottleneck, instead of comparing CPU usage at a sensible baseline (e.g. 60 FPS @ high)

The non-linear scaling of game engines actually mean that by giving it 5% more CPU cycles, the impact can even be something absurd like 50% more frames (assuming no GPU bottleneck),
or even the inverse, which is a big reason stutters are commonly observed with Denuvo.
I have a post somewhere that breaks down a few ways games approach their update/physics cycles.
While such things are interesting statistics in the context of a specific game, they're unfortunately useless in quantifying the actual impact of Denuvo and its ilk.

Denuvo shills make good use of the ambiguity that allows too:
Look at this guy, he benchmarked them and found good performance on both! (because he hit a GPU bottleneck)
You're all just a bunch of entitled manbabies who want to pirate games!

Metro Exodus was an interesting one as it seemed to affect a whole raft of things, from loading times to general performance.

I guess the specific impact depends heavily on where devs stick the triggers, and if they combine Denuvo with other DRMs.

Sentinel

Arcane
An important update for Resident Evil Village players on Steam:

• FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) from AMD is now supported. FSR supports higher frame rates on PC for an improved gaming experience.

• Adjustments have been made to optimize the anti-piracy technology.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The fact that gaming customers didn't give Denovo the boot by now is just embarrassing. So much for vote with your wallet I get.
It is not denuvo.
It is capcom's own version of it on top of denuvo that is causing all the issues.
Denuvo mostly just kills frame consistency and loading on older hardware.

I love how all those AAA publishers aren't content with using ONE form of DRM, they have to stack two or three different DRM services onto each other, leading to obvious conflicts and resulting in performance hits :lol:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

It is not denuvo.
It is capcom's own version of it on top of denuvo that is causing all the issues.

I love how all those AAA publishers aren't content with using ONE form of DRM, they have to stack two or three different DRM services onto each other, leading to obvious conflicts and resulting in performance hits :lol:
"If we stack our DRM it will make it super-duper hard to crack! What could possibly go wrong?" - Idiot Publishers

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This post is quadruple ROT13 encrypted, just try and read this, hackers! :smug:

On a serious note, stacking multiple things like that do often add exploitable chinks you can use to get past the others.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

It is not denuvo.

"If we stack our DRM it will make it super-duper hard to crack! What could possibly go wrong?" - Idiot Publishers

I honestly wonder how much money they make from the few pirates that buy it from impatience vs the cost of licensing denuvo and developing their own DRM to integrate with it.

I don't know their deal with denuvo, but I gather denuvo licensing isn't cheap.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

It is not denuvo.

I honestly wonder how much money they make from the few pirates that buy it from impatience vs the cost of licensing denuvo and developing their own DRM to integrate with it.

I don't know their deal with denuvo, but I gather denuvo licensing isn't cheap.
Imagine if overreliance on denuvo causes a gaming crash and the subsequent death of DRM. That would be amazing.

racofer

Thread Incliner
paypigs continue to get a worse experience than glorious pirates
UULRJgT.png

dFTM3Pe.png

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Imagine how terrible your DRM has to be that even shills at Digital Foundry would call you out for your bullshit. They have asked both Denuvo and Capcom for response, we'll see what happens.

You say "shills" but I always liked that guy's videos. Super straightforward and simple and the result of hours of mindnumbing tedium on his part, constantly restarting stuff with slightly different settings and hardware. Maybe the other people on that channel put out shittier videos but I wouldn't know as I always skip theirs

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

You say "shills" but I always liked that guy's videos. Super straightforward and simple and the result of hours of mindnumbing tedium on his part, constantly restarting stuff with slightly different settings and hardware. Maybe the other people on that channel put out shittier videos but I wouldn't know as I always skip theirs

IIRC there was some drama with DF cucking to ResetEra, but regardless they put a lot of work and research into their videos and that should be applauded.

Can't handle the bacon

I almost never play AAA games because I'm not completely retarded, so I don't have this issue with denoobo. I did cuck out and play RE8, but it was on a console.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom