Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The dumbest media comments and statements on games?

I think this is pretty hillarious and misleading: http://au.gamespot.com/features/6201002/index.html

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is quite possibly the best, cheapest current-gen game money can buy. It provides dozens of hours of open-world role-playing for a third of the cost of a new game. It could take you 50 hours to play through once, and it's worth playing through at least twice. That's because you're free to take any approach to the drama unfolding within its expertly wrought code. If you want to be a muscle-bound, bone-crushing defender of goodness and justice, you can be. Or, you can kill everyone you come across and wreck entire townships as a stealthy wizard. It's your world, and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion should be your game.

apparently having a variety of ways to kill people is role playing, so that would currently make TF2 one of the most popular RPG games. lol

baronjohn

Cipher
I gave up all hope when they started calling that piece of crap BioShock art.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
baronjohn said:
I gave up all hope when they started calling that piece of crap BioShock art.

I don't know about "Art", but the Art direction is amazing. I remember people commenting on Mass Effect's dialogs as Revolutionary. What a crock.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Nothing is as hilarious as this...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwin ... ead-review

To set the record straight, Neverwinter Nights basically contains four different elements: the campaign, the toolset, the DM client, and the multiplayer mode. The first of these is the brunt of the game, and it's by all means a lengthy, highly entertaining D&D campaign. It's comparable with and in many ways superior to BioWare's previous RPGs--or any other top-notch RPG to date for that matter. If Neverwinter Nights offered nothing other than this campaign, it would still be one of the best RPGs to come out in years.

A quote from the best known PC gaming magazine here in Italy. Italic also in the original. I'll spare you the rest.

...Oblivion is coming, and has kept all the promises, without exceptions.

I used to trust these guys. Thank thee, O Codex, for in thy words I have known the light.

GMC. Now that I think about it, perhaps TGM is as well known/ better known. Whatever. Now that I think about it, I stopped caring long ago.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I stopped caring a decade ago, when i left Italy. Those magazines were already getting shitty then. Only good thing about them was the software cds.

True. My Arcanum discs are from a copy of GMC. Ironically, I never bought that issue. A friend of mine wasn't interested and gave me the CDs.

Xi

Arcane
Every time a game is released, the media pretend that it's the first game ever made. All the games before it never happened!

These are the same people who could take a heaping shit and pretend that it was the best experience ever, until the next time they take a heaping shit, or the next. It's just all so shitty that each experience feels like the same old "best thing ever" experience, but it's really just another squat on the pot.

"OMG! This one is going to be amazing! *squeeze* OMG!!! YES!!! *fart* That was amazing!!!!!"

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't bother with the media when it comes to games anymore. I get all my reviews, suggestions, etc. from specialized communities like this one.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
"The nature of the medium prevents it from moving beyond craftsmanship [however elegant or sophisticated] to the stature of art."

-Roger Ebert, on videogames

DemonKing

Arcane
http://au.xbox.ign.com/objects/574/574497.html

From the end of the review:

Another Take
from Hilary Goldstein
It's a strange thing to consider, but I believe David Clayman may have underrated Jade Empire at a 9.9. There is no such thing as the perfect game, but there are a few rare gaming experiences that so transcend any failings, they might as well be considered perfect.

Disconnected

Scholar
Tintin said:
He is right.
Possibly about other things, or indicentally, but his argument about video games is... Essentially he says video games can't be art because would-be artists lacks the necessary level of control over how the audience experiences it. I trust it is obvious to you why that argument is no more or less true than it would be of any (other) art form.

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, because we all know that in professional gaming mags 99% equals roughly between 60 and 70% on a normal scale. Nice find.

Ghoulem

Erudite
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I don't bother with the media when it comes to games anymore. I get all my reviews, suggestions, etc. from specialized communities like this one.
But you can't trust us either. We're all hired by the International Croquet Foundation to downgrade the value of playing current games so you rather go outside and play croquet with your friends. Which is a great game, btw.

Tintin

Arbiter
Disconnected said:
Essentially he says video games can't be art because would-be artists lacks the necessary level of control over how the audience experiences it. I trust it is obvious to you why that argument is no more or less true than it would be of any (other) art form.

The "lack of control" in other art forms is nowhere near the level of video games....What other art form that isn't stupid new age stuff gives the audience control of the experience in the way that video games do?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If you want to enter into that debate to find out if video games are art or not, you'd first have to define what is art.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Gragt said:
If you want to enter into that debate to find out if video games are art or not, you'd first have to define what is art.
This is not an authoritative definition, but here's what ALOT of people would likely find to be justifiable enough.

Art is something that exists for the sake of itself. A painting is only for the purpose of being a painting. It's nice because it looks nice.

Now a mobile phone - it may have a sleek cool look. But you can't call it art, because it is a tool with a specific purpose. It does not exist for its own sake.

Really, all the work that establishment artists make is for no specific purpose other than making those things, like bubble-wrapped garbage and whatnot.

Art, for the lack of a better word, is something that is completely pointless. This is not to deride art, but that's what it is.

Games have a specific purpose. Entertainment and fun. Hence, they are not art. Now, a game is decorated with things. Things like art direction, graphics, music, Tony Jay voice acting,.etc. Those decorations are used only for the sake of decoration. We find them nice simply because they look nice. Those things would probably be art. But the core aspect of the game is its mechanics and rules. Everything else is just a little superfluous fluff. They don't make the game. If they were all that a game has, there would be no game left to put them on. It would just be a large mass of fluff with no game under it.

Look at Wizardry I-IV. No graphics. No sound. Just numbers. And names. And white lines on a black background. It is a game with all the material fluff removed, with only the core game left, the mechanics and the rules. And nothing else. That is what can be described quintessentially as a game. Nothing more. Nothing less.

spectre

Arcane
Now, now stop giving him those ideas. He's going to divide by zero before you know it.

EDITH: Bleh, can't resist the urge to play along.

You can't define art, because the definition is fluid and ends up as: art is what an artist does. If the artists does crap at the moment, so be it (and it was done already in case you were wondering). Or more specifically, to highlight one important correlation: it is what an artist does and gets away with the audience acknowledging as art.

If this indeed is the case, we can ask a series of questions - are people who make games artists, and is their artistic output acknowledged.

Then yes, we can proceed to look at the definition of a game - is the core of the game code and rules, with artistic (or quasi artistic elements slapped on top), can we have the game without them? You say we can.

Though I would challeng that. Games as a medium need to rely on presentation to a degree. Even if it's only ascii or text, you may not want to accept these as art (As you probably would with minimalist paintings etc.), but they still hold potential for artistic expression (text-based adventure games and ASCII art).

Tintin

Arbiter
Games have a specific purpose. Entertainment and fun. Hence, they are not art.

While I agree that games are not art, your reasoning is strange. Couldn't you say this about music as well? Music provides entertainment, and is fun to listen to and play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom