Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Dutch on Fallout 3

Black

Arcane
Pr()ZaC said:
Remember Daggerfall?
We need to ask Todd that question.

Texas Red

Whiner
NiM82 said:
Mareus said:
I still don't understand why Bethseda decided to buy the Fallout brand. Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to just make their own game? I mean they changed everything, so why the millions wasted just on the name? :S

I don't get it..

I suspect as well as the brand name, they desperately wanted an established setting with lore. They don't seem to have any creative lore type people on team these days capable of conjuring up new worlds, heck they can't even do TES justice, judging from Oblivions retcon lore and pishy story. IIRC the original TES lore guys walked after MW.

You'd think with those millions they could afford some excellent writers, no?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ermmm. Actually they are perfectly affording excellent writers. Just check their writings at IGN, Gamespot, etc. Those writings are so good that they will help them sell millions.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I really think it had more to do with Bethseda's inability to create a new franchise with its own fleshed out style, story, lore, etc. It was either buy another IP or start licensing out other brands like Star Wars, Aliens, etc. I know that sounds like typical anti Bethesda stuff, but even Bioware hasn't been able to create an original franchise yet. I mean, their third attempt with an original world sounds like the most generic Tolkien esque shit ever.

Even though there is some brand name value, Bethseda was going to get massive coverage no matter what, at least matching the Mass Effect coverage for example.

crufty

Arcane
now now....

fallout 3 has a new name. Gears of War 2. If you're going to settle for second, settle for second best.

i kid i kid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom