Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
qabWO6n.png

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
pretty good video, what kills oblivion and skyrim for me is the atrocious UI and the fact that it's The Medieval: Tree/Snow Edition, and not a legitimate alternative universe.

People leaving bethesda be damned, the latter is what made the previous TES work and if that is lacking - gg. should've hired a new writer.

Leonard DeVir

Educated
Watch the Kara video on the right on the YT page, second one down. It's better and 46% more fappable.
I wish I saw a Kara video, I just got this

TBH he does have a lot of good points. Im a fan of the Elder Scrolls lore, I absolutely loathe Oblivion (retrospectively, even one hour was too long a playtime), but Im charmed by Skyrim. Yes, the RPG part is dumbed down, which was a big letdown for me because Im perk/skill/stat crazy, and there are problems - but with modding you can more or less customize the game for your needs, and there are very good perk tree overhauls.

One of the biggest advantages of TES games is their ability to immerse, and even more with the right mods. And Ive read from a lot of people that they also love their immersion (damn LARPers everywhere) - first person, environment, books, background lore,... are very important, the nexus site even has its own Immersion sub category. Thats also the main reason why TESO will have first person view now, people complained so much about that they cut FPV that they turned around and implemented it. People play TES games for the setting and the lore/story mostly. One shouldnt judge the game before its out, but I think this will also be TESOs downfall in the end - you simply cant get immersed if there are 259 other people around you, shouting stuff with those shitty MMO abbreviations, glowing, buffing, jumping around like idiots and generally behave like they are squirrel ninja stroboscopes on caffeine, not to mention the usual middle IQ of 35 and age of 16. You cant mod it. There will be streamlined quests, because there is no other way to do MMO quests. No impact on the game world.

If you take away the big advantage of the immersive game world (no doubt people playing this will even care less about the lore and stuff. Also, Dunmer and Argonians are allied?) theres nothing left but "Generic MMORPG #413: TES" and you will have to attract the usual MMO crowd, but its a dieing genre and another bland MMORPG wont hook a lot of people. Coffin nail indeed. Its such a pity, despite the average games, the barebone TES setting with all of its world, lore, factions,... has (had?) so much wasted potential.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Only devotees of Sheogorath should be able to see the magical quest compass. And of course it would occasionally lead you astray on purpose (yeah jump in the lava pool, it's what you're supposed to do) or point in completely random directions.

Yeah that should be a mod. Someone go make it.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh god that would be so awesome, to have the ui be affected by the game and lore. God damn developer fucks have no creativity.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's coming out for XBox One and PS4 as well. Just when you think things can't get any better.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey Elder Scrolls fans, look, it's morrowind! Cool, right?
Hey fantasy fans, it's Harry Potter!
We can't show you any gameplay, but it's totally next gen and all.
Pre-order now!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another MMO for consoles? I wonder if this shit will fly. I guess they think tapping into the console audience will save them from becoming another TOR.

Akratus

Patron
Indeed, I do suspect it to be a case of the publisher getting anxious of the dreaded "MMO graveyard of bones where the WoW dragon is anxious to claim another victim" no doubt in their product's future, so they tell their developer they're going to expand their market. (Rather than improve the product, ofcourse, because that's never a good idea)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The good news is that it means ESO will probably be buy to play, without a subscription. Having it on consoles will quadruple their box sales and that combined with copious amounts of DLC should be more than enough to keep them in business. As a nice bonus side effect, being multi-platform will likely keep the ESO PC community from becoming as retarded as it otherwise would have.

:troll:

deuxhero

Arcane
The FF MMOs and DQ MMO show you can have console MMOs with subs.

I really want this to take down Bethesda when it bombs.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Right when I thought this might have potential, they decide to delay it by half a year so they can consolize it. God dammit.

DraQ

Arcane
The good news is that it means ESO will probably be buy to play, without a subscription.
That's not fucking "good news". That's something that might prevent it from crashing spectacularly and conspiculously in the blaze of nuclear fireball.

Right when I thought this might have potential
Ban Night Goat, thanks.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd rather it have a monthly fee than microtransactions. The latter are by far the bigger ripoffs but retards who cannot into finance just love them because they think they have freedom of choice. All the more reason to ban freedom.

halasterbc

Novice
TES in general. Thankfully, i barely remember its "lore", but i can only imagine the wonderful story behind that cotton crocodile that walks in 2 legs from oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom