Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dragon Shouts Explained

Luzur

Good Sir
just read that Max von Sydow is gonna voice the PC mentor, a former member of the Blades.

Nael

Arcane
Luzur said:
just read that Max von Sydow is gonna voice the PC mentor, a former member of the Blades.

max-von-sydow-001.jpg

Jesus wept. :lol:

I also didn't realize that he was the actor who portrayed Vigo the Carpathian in Ghostbusters II.

Huh. Well there goes another British actor's self-respect. Thank God, Alec Guinness is dead.

Archibald

Arcane
torpid said:
Azrael the cat said:
As far as I can tell, even the utterly retarded console gamers don't like lore rape, assuming (and this is a big 'if') the lore was dumbed down enough and cliched enough for them to like it in the first place, AND if they were actually playing the series when the lore was made.

They love themselves some FF7 story, and they'll know their Zelda, their Resident Evil and their Halo stories inside out, even going so far as to read those sub-'Dick and Dora' books they sell as 'Halo extended universe' titles. Retcon Aerie's death and you'll have an army of angry consoletards baying for blood. They won't actually punish you saleswise until 2 games on, because they fall for the hype the first time around, but they get pissed off nonetheless and that hurts sales.

The console guys and the dumber-than-brick types jumped in to TES around Oblivion. No, wait...AT Oblivion. They consider Oblivion to be rock solid lore, and they'll get pissed at anything that rewrites it. Bethesda bought themselves freedom from lore for a while there, as they expanded the fanbase so much that most never played, nor cared about, the earlier games - but do you think the guys going around LARPING for days on end in Oblivion aren't going to care about the lore? Nope, I don't think Bethesda is going to be able to pull that one again for quite some time. And I can't see Todd successfully working within the structure of a lore-driven world.

I think you're overestimating the majority of players considerably. First of all, I doubt that many consoletards really care about the lore, aside from the LARPERs who show up on the Bethesda forums, and they're a minority of the player base. Most casuals I know who played Oblivion simply saw it as an open world action game, nothing more. Second, even if it turns out that a significant number of Oblivion players end up being pissed at Skyrim, there'll be a new batch of kiddies revved up by all the hype that'll replace them.

I think we should seperate consoletards into two categories: mainstream faggots and consoletards. Consoletards care about their games but just as Codex is small part of gaming community so are consoletards a minority in console owners. All of us should understand that consoletards aren`t our enemies, its mainstream faggots that we should unite against.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
MM1. Commie was playing the game and mapping by hand. That was a subtle reminder that he hasn't updated me on his status in the game ;)

Yeah....about that.... :oops: ..haven't had time to play much apart from grindan to level 4 finally! In a week or so I should finally be able to move forward a bit.

Luzur

Good Sir
commie said:
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:
MM1. Commie was playing the game and mapping by hand. That was a subtle reminder that he hasn't updated me on his status in the game ;)

Yeah....about that.... :oops: ..haven't had time to play much apart from grindan to level 4 finally! In a week or so I should finally be able to move forward a bit.

you are weak, you should be level 15 now.

Rhalle

Magister
Ming-the-Merciless.jpg

Max Von Sydow was about ten kinds of awesome as Ming the Merciless.

Therefore, there will be no more bashing of Mr.Von Sydow at the Kodex.

Thank You.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
Yeah I guessed. Too busy with 2W eh? ;)
(I think I'm pretty close to the end myself. Got only a small part of the soutnern continent left to map. Well "small"... it's about the size of Thalmont)

Rhalle said:
Max Von Sydow is about ten kinds of awesome.

Thank You.
Improved. :love:

He might just be the only good thing about Skyrim.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
commie said:
Sceptic said:
DraQ said:

There is unguarded chest in the C2 if you want some quick cash without combat. Bag of Garbage may be selled for not so bad for 4 level party 50 gp.
Also try complete quest in the Sorpigal Dungeon, Erliquin not far from you (also you may teleport to it from Sorpigal for one gem)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fowyr said:
There is unguarded chest in the C2 if you want some quick cash without combat. Bag of Garbage may be selled for not so bad for 4 level party 50 gp.
Also try complete quest in the Sorpigal Dungeon, Erliquin not far from you (also you may teleport to it from Sorpigal for one gem)

Thanks for the tips!

Sceptic said:
commie said:
Yeah I guessed. Too busy with 2W eh? ;)
(I think I'm pretty close to the end myself. Got only a small part of the soutnern continent left to map. Well "small"... it's about the size of Thalmont)

Rhalle said:
Max Von Sydow is about ten kinds of awesome.

Thank You.
Improved. :love:

He might just be the only good thing about Skyrim.

Wish it were so. 2W is also taking a break. If anything I've been only able to concentrate on games where taking breaks don't give me the "now where the hell am I up to and what was I doing?" feeling, like strategies. I'm on King Arthur ATM.

As for Max, well imagining Max voicing a bizzare, shiny eyed, overbloomed, badly animated 'beast' would be a travesty.

Doesn't sound so good. One thing I liked about TES (Well, that is, Morrowind) was that you're not some chosen one with special powers - just a random crappy dude. Well maybe the main plot said you're reborn something, didn't really ever seem important but I'm sure that never gave you some extra abilities - you had to cheat and murder your way to those.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
One thing I liked about TES (Well, that is, Morrowind) was that you're not some chosen one with special powers
That's pretty much all of them, including the spinoffs. Daggerfall has you stumble into the MQ almost incidentally - initially you're in the Iliac Bay to retrieve the letters, under the pretext of investigating Lysandus's death, but in the course of resolving these 2 problems you stumble into the larger one.

Regarding being the reborn Nerevar in MW, that's purposefully left ambiguous. There is a LOT of evidence pointing to it all being Azura screwing with the Tribunal and you are in fact just another random dude that she uses for her purposes.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Fucking desert around Dusk. Looks like teleporting to it with 4 level party was not really good idea.

Luzur

Good Sir
Sceptic said:
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
One thing I liked about TES (Well, that is, Morrowind) was that you're not some chosen one with special powers
That's pretty much all of them, including the spinoffs. Daggerfall has you stumble into the MQ almost incidentally - initially you're in the Iliac Bay to retrieve the letters, under the pretext of investigating Lysandus's death, but in the course of resolving these 2 problems you stumble into the larger one.

Regarding being the reborn Nerevar in MW, that's purposefully left ambiguous. There is a LOT of evidence pointing to it all being Azura screwing with the Tribunal and you are in fact just another random dude that she uses for her purposes.

in that case Skyrim is the first TES game to break away from this line and go total "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE" line instead.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Yeah, the "failed incarnates" do raise some questions, don't they?

Isn't it entirely possible that Azura was simply aiming at accuracy prophecy through superior rate of fire numbers of 'chosen ones'?

Weren't you pretty much a pawn of the Empire anyway?

Puppets holding other puppets' strings.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
in that case Skyrim is the first TES game to break away from this line and go total "YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE" line instead.
Yeah well with the pattern of decline started by Oblivious I'm hardly expecting Skyrim to suddenly do a 180 and reintroduce creative storytelling and ambiguous political plots into TES...

DraQ said:
Yeah, the "failed incarnates" do raise some questions, don't they?
Definitely, but they're not the only thing. There's the whole business with Nerevarine's arrival being too timely, just as the Tribunal's power is waning and Dagoth Ur's power is waxing, in other words when people are most likely to believe the Nerevarine prophecy, in other words at the ideal time for Azura to strike back. And of course there's the myriad of contradictions that surround the entire history of Nerevar - you'd think the Tribunal version is faked to cover their asses and the rebels' is the real one, except the latter doesn't quite add up, not to mention everyone's version contradicts everyone else's and there's no reason whatsoever to believe say Vivec's over Dagoth Ur's (in fact I'd be tempted to say Dagoth Ur is the most reliable, as he really has no reason whatsoever to be lying... except the guy's, well, not entirely balanced at this point)

Weren't you pretty much a pawn of the Empire anyway?
At least up to a point, debatably the whole thing is far more successful than the Emperor had planned... but there's still the fact that you're an Outlander regardless of race picked (even if you pick Dunmer, you're a non-Vvardenfell native), and the Nerevarine beign a non-VN (and ESPECIALLY a non-Dunmer) definitely helps the Empire's hold on the island, particularly as the Tribunal's power continues to diminish.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No amount of voice acting will save this shitty game. Just FYI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom