Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Escapist magazine gives 3,5/5 for The Witcher 2

serch

Magister
Sometimes, I have that disturbing feeling as if the gaming industry, press and mainstream consumers were really transforming themselves in what the Codex believes them to be. It's not like as we observe them and describe their behaviour but as if we were changing and defining them with our thinking, kinda planescapey, you know.

Captain Shrek

serch said:
Sometimes, I have that disturbing feeling as if the gaming industry, press and mainstream consumers were really transforming themselves in what the Codex believes them to be. It's not like as we observe them and describe their behaviour but as if we were changing and defining them with our thinking, kinda planescapey, you know.

You give codex too much credit. People here on codex like many a popamoles.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
the difference is that codexers install incline along with popamole and in some sterling cases cannot even bring themselves to torrent the latter

Captain Shrek

Its not buying games that leads to decline but in fact praising them. The unintelligent gamer vastly outnumbers intelligent (voiced) gamer.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Praisning? it's not bard circle but industry, based on greed and profit, all those assholes who pirated Troika and Black Isle games and buy DA2 and Skyrim are responsible for :decline:. F... ing profligates.
I wonder how TW2 will sell. :/

Captain Shrek

Commissar Draco said:

Answer that would surprise no one: Moderately. Don't expect a great success.

And you are wrong about blaming piracy for Troika/Black Isle decline. They failed because they did not understand average gamer. Believe me if you will, though I can's state a source (I don't have any): It was a good thing in many ways. And that will almost also be the reason why Obsidian will fail. Almost, because they will fail due to principles.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Commissar Draco said:
Praisning? it's not bard circle but industry, based on greed and profit, all those assholes who pirated Troika and Black Isle games and buy DA2 and Skyrim are responsible for :decline:. F... ing profligates.

Except Skyrim will almost certainly be better than anything Troika produced, which is about on par with DA2. Codex just likes to hate shit games while fellating other shit games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Holy shit, TW2 sold more than 200.000 in 1 week, and the DA games on PC barely surpassed this in their entire lifetimes. :salute:

Phelot

Arcane
I'm enjoying the game, but this:

"But we didn't want the game to be a piece of cake at the beginning like, you know, an interactive movie.

Is a pretty ballsy statement when a lot of the cutscenes have unnecessary QTEs, the very epitome of the term "interactive movie."

When I was interviewing that one elf on the prison barge, I couldn't see the "MASH LEFT MOUSE BUTTON!" QTE because it was in some background lights and was wondering what the fuck was going on. :lol:

Regardless of how good the game is, it was stupid putting this shit in, plain and simple. It doesn't happen that often, but it's lame, like the Kayran fight.

Speaking of which, I didn't see any mention of where you had to set the yrden trap in the game. Just that sorceress kept screaming at me. I eventually realized that the first two tentacles couldn't be targeted.... for some reason, and realized to go after the glowing ones. That reminded me of old NES games where you don't know what the fuck you're suppose to do to defeat a boss other than "shoot at the thing that blinks on and off" :lol:

QTE can be turned off

Only the "difficult" ones, whatever they might be.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Is that 200,000? or 2,000,000? Because 200k in the first week isn't impressive. 2mil in first week is. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Angthoron

Arcane
So, which of the Bio games sold 2 mil in the first week, Volly? Stats and links, please.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Angthoron said:

*Checks links. The first one has info about 1 weeks sales - 212k. The second and third has info about 10 weeks sales - 392k in 10 weeks, 269k in 10 weeks. Determine that OP is a faggot.*

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
Is that 200,000? or 2,000,000? Because 200k in the first week isn't impressive. 2mil in first week is. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
That is 200.000 and it is pretty impressive for a PC only title. Just for comparison, your precious DA sold 50.000 on PC on the 1st week. :smug:

Angthoron

Arcane
Havoc said:
Angthoron said:

*Checks links. The first one has info about 1 weeks sales - 212k. The second and third has info about 10 weeks sales - 392k in 10 weeks, 269k in 10 weeks. Determine that OP is a faggot.*

Which OP? If you mean the thread OP, I don't see why. If you mean me, I'd suggest you visit an eye doctor and buy a sarcasm detector.

UserNamer

Cipher
I started playing this and I don't get all the fuss about the difficulty of this videogame. Are people seriously retarded? I'm playing on normal and I don't understand what is supposed to be difficult about this. Or is the game going to get much harder?

(also thanks cd project for not reminding what insane is when you switch to it)

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:

DA:O sold 400k copies on PCs, 2mln on XBAWKS and 1,27mln on PS3.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
UserNamer said:
(also thanks cd project for not reminding what insane is when you switch to it)
Well it is in the manual, and the devs talked about it several times in videos an interviews.

Angthoron

Arcane
Havoc said:
Volourn said:

DA:O sold 400k copies on PCs, 2mln on XBAWKS and 1,27mln on PS3.

Yes, and that's lifetime and multi-platform. DA:O could only dream of a 200K launch week on the PC. I wonder what numbers the sales will be showing when Witcher goes XBAWX though.

Still, whatever the case, the 200K is already anything but mediocre. Sure, not a CoD salesfigure, but for a relatively niche, currently single-platform game, this is a very strong start.

Edit: Curious observation, DAO is missing US data on those charts. Hmm. I'd guess it was a 150K-ish launch then, not 50Kish, unless the charts do show EU and US both piled into EU for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom