Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Escapist magazine gives 3,5/5 for The Witcher 2

Exmit

Scholar
TW 2 > Kotor if you like console popamoles

Kotor > TW 2 if you like RPGs

Thanks Suchy for telling us on which side you stand. :smug:

circ

Arcane
I don't know about the RPG part or difficult combat. I got it and ran it on default recommended settings, but apparently that was no good because everything ran at 5 fps or something, I could barely get the mouse to dialogue choices to click on stuff. So I go with what the graphics utility calls auto-detect settings, always disabling bloom and motion blur and shit like that. Still laggy as fuck. So I just go with low, and disable even more stuff, still pretty laggy and unplayable. So I seriously downgrade resolution, better, although it wants to run it in some weird kind of letterbox format, and it has some kind of fucked up motion smoothing enabled so everything has a little bit of lag when I do stuff, except I can now finally click on option tickers and dialogue choices without lag.

But I don't really want to combat like this, or RPG. And it doesn't really look that amazing anyway. Voice is a little better than TW1, but whatever.

Call me when you learn to optimize and make an engine without stupid design decisions, I'll go back to MUDding.

Kraszu

Prophet
I didn't get through first witcher yet so I don't care about the games much, but the reasons on why reviews reduce the TW2 are retarded. Too hard, and no enough hand holding? If the game would be like those reviews would want it to be then it would be worse that is the problem not the score.

Also Skyhigh auto health regen are bad in shooters because of how they interact with other elements of the game, auto regen doesn't automatically makes the game have those flaws.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Exmit said:
TW 2 > Kotor if you like console popamoles

Kotor > TW 2 if you like RPGs

Thanks Suchy for telling us on which side you stand. :smug:

I can't believe I took your side during the great 'Ban Exmit' push.... :oops:

Tell me one part of TW2 where there is a cover shooter mechanic for it to be a 'popamole', faggit.

abija

Prophet
Oh, that's one bad example. Both were launched with a plethora of bugs.

Exmit

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
TW2 has better C&C and branching storylines than KotOR. Fact. No really, this is pretty much indisputable. It also does moral ambiguity etc much, much better and it treats you like an intelligent individual way more than KotOR ever did.

Conclusion:

TW2 > KotOR if you are an intelligent individual.
KotOR > TW2 if you're a dumbfuck.

Thanks, Exmit, for telling us what kind you are.

C&C and storyline does not decide if a game is an RPG or not dumbfuck.

While TW 2 might have a better C&C and storyline than Kotor, it is not an RPG like Kotor.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Exmit said:
Lesifoere said:
TW2 has better C&C and branching storylines than KotOR. Fact. No really, this is pretty much indisputable. It also does moral ambiguity etc much, much better and it treats you like an intelligent individual way more than KotOR ever did.

Conclusion:

While TW 2 might have a better C&C and storyline than Kotor, it is not an RPG like Kotor.
It is not an RPG like Kotor. Kotor is not an RPG like Pool of Radience. There are different RPGs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh cool another round of Good Action-Adventure vs Bad RPG: which one is better and why?

Exmit

Scholar
Roguey said:
Oh cool another round of Good Action-Adventure vs Bad RPG: which one is better and why?

Kotor is good RPG. so good action vs good rpg if anything.

Angthoron

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Kotor > TW2 if you like games that work.

:x

What's the issue anyway, why's it not working? Incompatible with hardware or something else?

Angthoron

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Roguey said:

Keyword: one's good and the other's... bad. ME1 might be a better RPG than ME2, but it's also a very, very bad game with some deeply terrible, silly writing.

But this is a hilarious comparison really. KotOR is less of an action-adventure game than TW2 because?

I'll butt in at this point and say that I feel there's actually not enough combat in TW2. I'd have wanted more, and possibly with complex encounters, like with mages and knights and stuff. I've not finished the game yet, but C1 and C2 so far lacked proper combat sections.

And no, I don't count trash encounters that you can overpower in five seconds as "proper combat sections".

More like things from the end of the intro, like the courtyard fight vs a pack of knights. I really liked that part.

made

Arcane
bcuz u must pause teh game and give tactical orders to ure party while in twitcherer u just click click click really hard and really fast for teh win

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Exmit said:
Kotor is good RPG. so good action vs good rpg if anything.
What makes it good? Certainly not the gimped ruleset, boring combat, bad controls, standard Biowarian writing, or ways and means of role playing (a bad person who fights yet is unable to break their Precious Plot and sometimes does other stuff or a good person who fights and sometimes does other stuff. Also hope you like mandatory game-stopping puzzles and minigames that don't have anything to do with role playing).

Lesifoere said:
KotOR is less of an action-adventure game than TW2 because?
It uses a mostly-consistent RPG ruleset and uh... that's pretty much it.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Lesifoere said:
Roguey said:

Keyword: one's good and the other's... bad. ME1 might be a better RPG than ME2, but it's also a very, very bad game with some deeply terrible, silly writing.

But this is a hilarious comparison really. KotOR is less of an action-adventure game than TW2 because?

That's simple... The 'adventure' part is non-existent in Kotor. :troll:

made

Arcane
Angthoron said:
I'll butt in at this point and say that I feel there's actually not enough combat in TW2. I'd have wanted more, and possibly with complex encounters, like with mages and knights and stuff. I've not finished the game yet, but C1 and C2 so far lacked proper combat sections.

And no, I don't count trash encounters that you can overpower in five seconds as "proper combat sections".

More like things from the end of the intro, like the courtyard fight vs a pack of knights. I really liked that part.
Yep. Fewer gimmick fights, more complex encounters where the combat system could really come into its own. There are a couple of those (Letho, the headhunters, D. in chapter 2) but they are few and far between.

Angthoron

Arcane
made said:
Angthoron said:

Yep. Fewer gimmick fights, more complex encounters where the combat system could really come into its own. There are a couple of those (Letho, the headhunters, D. in chapter 2) but they are few and far between.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. There is a fairly decent combat system in the game, for the type of a game it is, it's just horribly under-utilized and you don't really get to see it shine properly, which then gives an impression that combat system is absent or undeveloped.

J_C said:
Exmit said:
Lesifoere said:

Conclusion:

It is not an RPG like Kotor. Kotor is not an RPG like Pool of Radience. There are different RPGs.

so we finally agree that mass effect 2 is too an crpg? an action crpg. the very best action crpg :troll:

circ

Arcane
I'm gonna play some more Twitcher 2 later. Well try to. I saw some tits and ass (WELL HIDDEN BY CLOTHING) in the intro movie, maybe there's more later??!

Anyway, can I change the view to something less TPS?

Xi

Arcane
Had a $30 dollar gift card on amazon.com burning a hole in my digital pocket. Picked this game up for $9.99, can't wait to give it a try! It seems like there is an inevitable love/hate relationship with the game. I'm hoping this equates to a more sophisticated game, with deeper, philosophical questions, lined with lots of moral ambiguity and very little hand holding.

For $9.99, I will, no doubt, enjoy it for what it is. Why? Because I don't give a shit about video game design anymore. Fuck it!

bloodlover

Arcane
I'm waiting for Zero Punctuation's review of the game. At least that should be fun to see.

Divinity: Original Sin
bloodlover said:
I'm waiting for Zero Punctuation's review of the game. At least that should be fun to see.

Yahtzee hated the 1st witcher, though he played the original version, before the enhanced edition was released. I don't remember what was his complainings, so I can't imagine if he will like or dislike W2.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Darth Slaughter said:
bloodlover said:

Yahtzee hated the 1st witcher, though he played the original version, before the enhanced edition was released. I don't remember what was his complainings, so I can't imagine if he will like or dislike W2.

Witching witcher, the first witcheres.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... he-Witcher

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom