Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The eternal question: first-person or isometric?

vote!

• first-person

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • isometric

• other

• Total voters
1st person.

It's the most realistic.

DoppelG

Scholar
Iso is my favorite viewpoint, then again this question is dumb seeing how one viewpoint is better for one genre and another viewpoint better for another genre and i like a lot of genres.
Very generalizing i would say:
cRPG: iso
Action RPG: iso or TPP
FPS: FP
Actiongame: TPP
RTS: iso

But even if there only was one very specific type of game that could make use of any particular viewpoint, then you still couldn't say that particular viewpoint is worse then all the other viewpoints.

wader2k

Novice
Wizardry 8 was ideal for ME......

I like 1st person...I think it's just what I cut my teeth on.....never did see an ISO I liked a lot.

DraQ

Arcane
wader2k said:
I certainly wouldn't say no to Wizardry 9 or some other good FPP party based dungeon crawler, I really enjoyed Wizardry 8 and want more, but FPP's appeal in party-based RPGs lies in it's retro style and "yay! we're adventuring" feel rather than it's actual merits - forcing party to behave like some sort of siamese sextuple is downright hideous when you think about it.

wader2k

Novice
DraQ said:
wader2k said:
I certainly wouldn't say no to Wizardry 9 or some other good FPP party based dungeon crawler, I really enjoyed Wizardry 8 and want more, but FPP's appeal in party-based RPGs lies in it's retro style and "yay! we're adventuring" feel rather than it's actual merits - forcing party to behave like some sort of siamese sextuple is downright hideous when you think about it.

Wizardry 9 ....<sigh>

I agree entirely ...... retro style and feel!

I had to grin at the image of a siamese sextuple!

8^)
Wade

Relayer71

Liturgist
Depends on the game, combat system, game engine, etc.

I preferred isometric until I played Wizardry 8 - that was 1st person done right. I guess I prefer 1st person with a turn based combat system, otherwise it feels like an FPS or action game no matter what.

Still, given a choice I would pick isometric. Or more clearly, isometric 2D.

Relayer71

Liturgist
wader2k said:
DraQ said:
wader2k said:

Wizardry 9 ....<sigh>

I agree entirely ...... retro style and feel!
I had to grin at the image of a siamese sextuple!

Definitely would have made more sense if your viewpoint changed to the group member you were controlling in that case. Still, I didn't mind it.

ixg

Erudite
Depends on
-the atmosphere you're going for
-if its single character or party
-the combat style
etc

questions like this are stupid

Topher

Cipher
Since someone mentioned that an adventure game style camera would be interesting I would like to point out Lost Odyssey for Xbox 360. While exploring the game world the camera is locked on the environment in a very similar way to old point-and-click adventures and your characters size changes depending on if you are moving around in the foreground or background area. It works quite well and is very refreshing but that's not to say it's not without flaws.

Sorry, I hope that made sense because it's sort of hard to describe and put into words.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
I could never really get used to first person in RPGs, or adventures. It's perfect for shooters, but such a narrow line of sight, coupled with the fact that you have to navigate your character and adjust "the camera" manually all the damn time just gets on my nerves, when I'm trying to solve complex puzzles, or quests. It's not immersive to me at all, just cumbersome and irritating.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's first-person isometric over-the-shoulder view for me.

Mareus

Magister
Depends really, but saying one is better than the other is dumb. I like all, depending on the genre and the game itself.

Suchy

Arcane
FP for me. Since Ultima Underworld and Betrayal at Krondor.
I don't like TPP - it has some bad taste left after Tomb Raider...
ISO - depends on game, but I usually like seeing from my char's point of view anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom