Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Fall blathering at GameSpy

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Fall: Last Days of Gaia; Silver Style

The only thing worse than <a href=http://www.gamespy.com>GameSpy</a> or <a href=http://www.the-fall.com/>The Fall: Last Days of Gaia</a> is <a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-fall-last-days-of-gaia/508825p1.html>GameSpy <i>and</i> The Fall</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Strehse: The incident that causes the environmental change happens roughly 20 years before the story of The Fall begins in 2082 AD. A number of Terraformers are built by NASA to be transported to Mars, where they're supposed to increase the CO2 content in the atmosphere in order to pave the way for colonization. A few days before the transport, though, members of an unknown cult appear, take control of the machines, and activate the Terraformers. The amount of CO2 produced has devastating effects on the Earth's atmosphere and on the global ecosystem. The regions that did not fall victim to floods because of the melting poles were turned into wastelands and deserts.
<br>
<br>
There's no specific agenda or motivation beneath this; it was simply an idea I had in mind. Of course, one might start thinking about the way we're treating the environment while playing the game and draw their own conclusions. That, however, was not the one and only reason we created The Fall.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yeah, there's also the whole "ripping off Fallout wherever possible so scorned fans of Van Buren will buy our abortion clinic escapee of a game."
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>

Spazmo

Erudite
Here's more goodies:

Carsten said:
GameSpy: Does the game have turn-based or real-time combat?

Strehse: It's a real-time system that lets the player pause whenever he or she wants. There are also a number of optional auto-pause triggers to support you. One would be to halt the battle automatically when one of the party members is critically wounded or about to run out ammunition.

There's also a special combat mode called "Simulated Turn-Based." In this case the game gets paused automatically after a character or creature has made an action, or after two seconds if no action was performed. Turn-based fans might want to take a look at this approach.

Right... just like the "pause at end of round" option in Baldur's Gate that made everything REALLY REALLY TURN BASED!

Malak

Liturgist
fnordcircle said:
Tell me again why I'm supposed to hate this game from the start, but I'm allowed to like Freedom Force?

Because you can throw cars at stupid people in Freedom Force?

Shevek

Arcane
Before the dev went to the lengths of alluding to purchasing FO rights, hiring of a former BIS staffer, and so on, many were willing to give the game a fair shake. However, the overuse of the hype machine kinda backfired a bit. Im still semi-interested in the title but must admit that the developer's theatrics have turned me off some - it seems almost as they do not feel their game could stand on its own merits and must identify with other more competent titles in order to compete.

*spelling edit

Anonymous

There's also a special combat mode called "Simulated Turn-Based." In this case the game gets paused automatically after a character or creature has made an action, or after two seconds if no action was performed. Turn-based fans might want to take a look at this approach.

Fans of turn-based dont see it as turn-based, they see it as a form of real-time akin to a little kid flipping the lightswitch on and off.

And Freedom Force is fun, cool and different, on those simple features alone it's better than The Fall.

Crappywarrior

Novice
Another problem I have with Mein Fuhrer Developer is how he keeps claiming he's doing such and such for the fans. He goes on DAC, or wherever, to post a pic or something and look for compliment handouts, then the instant he gets criticism from the fans he's claiming to please, he immediately gets defensive and says his way is better because more people will like it.

I don't know. I'll probably still make the mistake of buying it in the end because he actually answered alot of questions correctly, for me. But the bit about the "Simulated turn based" was just goofy, and I'm willing to bet the NPC interactions are going to smell distinctly like the ones from BG2.

OMGZ!!11, you can have a love triangle with Sand and Storm!!11

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
LlamaGod said:

Fans of turn-based dont see it as turn-based, they see it as a form of real-time akin to a little kid flipping the lightswitch on and off.

Even people who are not fans of TB should understand why it isn't.

Spazmo

Erudite
I hate The Fall right from the get go because Carsten is an asshole and because Soldiers of Anarchy was garbage. Freedom Force, however, was fun and funny.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Freedom Force had one of the best settings and graphical style I've ever seen in a game, as well as being incredibly humourus. The Fall seems like just another one in the line of Fallout (or Wastelands even) clones that the game has spawned - not particularly bad, but not especially interesting either, at least to me. And I must agree that the insane hype Carsten kept posting didn't make me anymore positive.

I think one of the main reason we will never see a non-action super-hero crpg is because the thought of a superhero actually having character and pathos that develops through a strong story based game hurts developers heads. Where hulk-smash is so much easier and more marketing friendly.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
So this is why I'm supposed to hate The Fall
  • Carsten is a dork.
  • The game has obviously tried to borrow from the Fallout legacy to add to its hype.
  • It's not turnbased.
I enjoy Turn-based and non-turn-based games equally, from what I've found, so I don't care about number three. As for number one and two....why do I give a fuck? Why do you give a fuck? If Fallout had tried to ride the coattails of Wasteland (assuming Wasteland was more of a success) would that have made Fallout any less fun when you were playing it?

What if the Fall is fun? Will it matter then if Carsten is a fart-bubble-biting dork?

You people get a bug up your ass too much around here. Maybe I'm just too old to get on a crusade anymore, but if a game is fun, I'd play it even if the game was titled 'Derek Smart presents - Rape Fnordcircle's Mom with Fnordcircle's dick.'

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
There's also the fact that SS has a guy with a fucked up arm in their team :

stefan_hoffmann.jpg

Or the fact that from the screenshots the game looks boring like hell.

And Cartsen Hitler DOES look like a dork, see their website.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Seriously, is that the picture or what?

Thats a helluv an arm.

How does he type?

Spazmo

Erudite
fnordcircle said:
  • Carsten is a dork.
  • The game has obviously tried to borrow from the Fallout legacy to add to its hype.
  • It's not turnbased.

You're forgetting the part where both Soldiers of Anarchy and Gorasul--Silver Style's previous games--were viciously shit. And hell, how is it that the lead designer being a dork could not be a strike against the game?

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
fnordcircle said:
  • Carsten is a dork.
  • It's not turnbased.

You're forgetting the part where both Soldiers of Anarchy and Gorasul--Silver Style's previous games--were viciously shit. And hell, how is it that the lead designer being a dork could not be a strike against the game?

Exactly. People need to tell us why we should await the game and buy it, why will it be fun?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Uh.. Spaz, ALL game devs are dorks. And geeks. And losers. It's a fact of game dev life.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes, unfortunately, him too. And, Gaider. And, Sawyer. And all the rest too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom