Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Game That Wasn’t There

AnalogKid

Scholar
Volourn said:
How the fuck is BG, FO, or the Gb games more complex than DA?
I have no desire to debate what the definition of "is" is. If you don't believe that the range of options and world-interactivity available to the player in games like FO and Wiz8 were not vastly more numerous, interesting, varied and actually affected the gameplay experience more than the ~8 damage++ "skills" that each of your _3_ characters were given in DA, then we just don't have any basis for discussion.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't blame Volourn for being unable to defend his positions. He's obviously not very bright.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Xor said:
I don't blame Volourn for being unable to defend his positions. He's obviously not very bright.
I am more likely to blame the position itself for being untenable.

Or maybe he picks such a position because he's not very bright... :mystery:

God damn it where did that smiley go.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If anyone seriosuly thinks FO, BG, or the Gb games are more 'complex' than DA they are plain, old fashion retarted. So embarassing to know that such morans actually exist in this sad, mad, bad, glad, fad, cad world of ours.

R00fles!

:retarded: :retarded: :retarded:

Volourn said:
If anyone seriosuly thinks FO, BG, or the Gb games are more 'complex' than DA they are plain, old fashion retarted. So embarassing to know that such morans actually exist in this sad, mad, bad, glad, fad, cad world of ours.

R00fles!

:retarded: :retarded: :retarded:

Pathetic and cowardly. No balls at all. Best if you head back to the Bio forums where people will lap up your BS, because anyone with half a brain will dismiss you elsewhere for this rubbish.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Continue not defending your position."

I have yet to see anyone in this thread really defend the other position.

"Best if you head back to the Bio forums where people will lap up your BS, because anyone with half a brain will dismiss you elsewhere for this rubbish."

Is that the best cumback you have? I'm hated more on the BIO boards than here. Trust me.

Volourn said:
"Continue not defending your position."

I have yet to see anyone in this thread really defend the other position.

"Best if you head back to the Bio forums where people will lap up your BS, because anyone with half a brain will dismiss you elsewhere for this rubbish."

Is that the best cumback you have? I'm hated more on the BIO boards than here. Trust me.

It isn't a comeback, it is a fact.

Fact is you have defended other topics vehemently. Strangely in this one, you only have one childish statement to make and keep repeating it like some religious nutcase. If that is what works for you, and keeps you believing in Bioware and their ever increasing retardedness, then power to you.

Still totally cowardly though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Fact is you have defended other topics vehemently. Strangely in this one, you only have one childish statement to make and keep repeating it like some religious nutcase. If that is what works for you, and keeps you believing in Bioware and their ever increasing retardedness, then power to you."

What a moran. I have defend this ebfore. Multiple times in multiple threads.

I have yet to see anyone else truly defend their position in this thread either so why in bejeebers should I when I have already done so in countless other threads? There's a reason why the search button exists buddo.

"Still totally cowardly though."

The biggest act of cowardice one cna show is accusing someone of being a coward for not doing something they've already done and the eprson making the auccsation doesn't have the guts to do themselves.

:thumbsup:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you've "defended" this "position" in multiple threads before, and therefore don't feel it's worth it to do so again, especially after this comment:

BIO smartens up their gamneplay

then why in the fuck do you even attempt to participate in these types of discussions anymore? I mean, you've spoken, and the masses have heard. Thus Sayest the Lord, right?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"then why in the fuck do you even attempt to participate in these types of discussions anymore? I mean, you've spoken, and the masses have heard. Thus Sayest the Lord, right?"

So, the amsses don't just read thsi thread and assume that the Codexian bullshitz is true when it's not. If someone wants more indepth analysis they can do some indepth search clicks.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Either that or they'll just attempt to play DA like the rest of us, decide that it's a game designed for brain-dead teenage fuckwads and be done with it.

How's that for in depth?

AnalogKid

Scholar
Crispy said:
Either that or they'll just attempt to play DA like the rest of us, decide that it's a game designed for brain-dead teenage fuckwads and be done with it.
Too bad that still means a sale for Bio. Since this thread seems all but dead, I might as well go OT: If only there was a legitimate try-before-you-buy option. It couldn't just be a 1-hour demo, because then we'd just get semi-cool intro sequences and the rest of the game filled with boring ass filler kkkombat. :roll:

Anyway, since games are moving to must-be-logged-in-to-play status anyway, I would love to see something like a free download, pay $2/hour or whatever while playing, up until you've payed the full price of the game, and then no more charges for extra play. This way, if you play the game for 10 hours and get sick of it and uninstall, you've paid for the amount of "enjoyment" you received. You didn't get fucked with a $60 coaster, and the publisher didn't get fucked by piracy. It'll never happen because then marketing and box art and total bullshit interviews and bribery inflated review scores wouldn't work as well. But a fella can dream, can't he?

Drakron

Arcane
They are not interested on that.

Dragon Age combat is acceptable at start, it only at Lothering it starts to fall apart so if you had a demo they would only put Ostagar and the Wildness since its were the game is at its best.

Also that is common tactic to gain good reviews, concentrating at the start of the game were the reviewer is going to play but not beyond that, Morrowind is a good example of that were Seyda Neen had Fargoth's Ring quest were its elements (wait for night, follow him undetected) are never used again.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Thread kinda derailed to TB or not TB.

What i can't understand, is why gaming industry is not catering to older gamers. I mean they are the guys with the money now. Why are 13 years old targeted? They have more time to play, yes, but that doesn't mean anything in terms of sales.

Thats a huge failure of the market IMHO, that no bigger company does some smaller, complex games with outdated graphics with smaller teams and shorter dev cycle (1 engine - like 3 games plus extensions, think KoTC).

MetalCraze

Arcane
They have more time to play
That's why games are only 4-8 hours long these days?

I remember hearing a retarded excuse for this like "games are made for adults who simply don't have time"
Except this one was coming from teenagers and housewives.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Who cares. We know that games are made for fags today and true bros dont get what they want. The question is why. Especially if allmost all the bros are fine with outdated graphics.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't mind short games. When it comes to game length, Fallout is long enough for me. That's the game length that I expect from cRPGs and a similar level of replayability.
As for the argument about lack of time...
I remember that I could play games 8 hours a day, seven days a week when I was a teenager.
Nowadays, I not only don't have as much time, but also I'm not interested in spending as much time playing games, especially cRPGs.
I share my gaming time between wargames, modding, cRPGs and some others. So, now I would spend about a half-a-hour to hour daily playing cRPGs. In this case 8 hour long cRPG is enough for me as long as I can play it tens to hundreds of times like Fallout.

Most RPG developers (read: Bio and Bethesda) look to sell millions of units, so they have very high budgets. The other RPG developers (read: Obshitian) also looks to sell millions of units, so they also have very high budgets. There isn't really a market right now for medium/low budget companies outside of stuff like Stardock, and they don't make RPGs. In an odd way, the best hope would be for AoD or something to get released with reasonable success and fairly well reviewed, so as to show the world that there is a market for lower budget games with certain types of gameplay and hope that more small budget studios open up as a result.

Melcar

Arcane
I propose we ban discussion of all high budget RPGs and instead just have news threads on indie and other low budget RPGs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"That's why games are only 4-8 hours long these days? "

FO is a recent game? Older games were, by and large, no longer than current ones. In fact, I'd say they were shorter.

Volourn said:
"That's why games are only 4-8 hours long these days? "

FO is a recent game? Older games were, by and large, no longer than current ones. In fact, I'd say they were shorter.

Eh, that's kind of true, actually. I guess you don't get the long ass epics anymore, but those were always the exception rather than the rule anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom