Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Actually. Fuck you for even dragging out the argument. I just wasted a shitload of time talking about something I don't even give much of a shit about.

Fuck you too asswipe. You started to throw shit for fun and got nailed for your stupidity. To think I actually like you.
Right.. So if I throw shit for fun, what makes you think I even give a shit about what I am talking about?

Instead. What happened. Was that I had a light comment, got dragged into fucking this bull shit. I don't give a shit about stupidity nailing or whatever. Winning or losing means jack shit to me, I'm pissed off either way.

Besides, you're a fucking retard if you like me.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Actually. Fuck you for even dragging out the argument. I just wasted a shitload of time talking about something I don't even give much of a shit about.

Fuck you too asswipe. You started to throw shit for fun and got nailed for your stupidity. To think I actually like you.
Right.. So if I throw shit for fun, what makes you think I even give a shit about what I am talking about?

Instead. What happened. Was that I had a light comment, got dragged into fucking this bull shit. I don't give a shit about stupidity nailing or whatever. Winning or losing means jack shit to me, I'm pissed off either way.

Besides, you're a fucking retard if you like me.

I guess that explains why you're a retard since you like yourself...

El Presidente

Arcane
I had many posts ITT, they're all gone like tears in the rain now. :negative:

This game is such a shitshow, I really wish there was one of those Internet Historian videos about its really bizarre timeline, it absolutely is a worthy subject of one of those, but they'd never do it cause it's widely considered to be one of the better current MMO alternatives. They never truly decided what to do with this game so everything is all over the place, including the fact they started with no plans to make expansions for it, then they turned around and made 2 of them, then they decided to drop the expansions and return to updates only, and then they went back once again to expansions for a third one. The game's Steam page is up for more than a year now and still didn't release over there cause they got scared of negative reviews for the game's awful performance. Class design is ridiculous and insane, as in, an actual insane person is likely behind those decisions. The game's sniper is hidden behind Thief. The game's forefront support is hidden behind Ranger. The game's paladin has a whole specialization that is about bows. The game's mage will now have a hammer to whack people in the face. The game's forefront tank is hidden behind Mesmer (an illusion mage), and is called Chronomancer. Nothing makes any sense whatsoever, reminds me of this:

qosktZ3.jpg

I'm fairly sure this is exactly how Anet designs these classes.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
People who cared about gw2 left very early on or soon after launch. People who stayed were just content eastern europeans, who preferred the non-subscription model. It is also overshadowed by the two biggest stories in the mmo space right now: WoW's and Blizzards downfall and FFXIV's rise.

I look back at my time in GW2 as a time of great darkness and self-hatred.

Chimera

Augur
The game's Steam page is up for more than a year now and still didn't release over there cause they got scared of negative reviews for the game's awful performance.

I'm fairly certain they would be eviscerated by their core audience with more justified vitriol than any newcomers could muster, for the very reason so many moaned when their Steam "launch" was initially announced: the lack of account linking.

It remains a contentious point to this day, regularly regurgitated on their reddit page, forums and elsewhere. The motivation is clear, they don't want to split any potential profit the new audience might garner with Valve nor be forced to comply with Steam's refund policy when it comes to their expansion packs... to say nothing of double-dipping on the diehards.

More damning still, almost every other major MMO managed this colossal technical feat that ArenaNet's representatives, sycophants and shills continually decry as "impossible."

Where I'm concerned, if Pearl Abyss can manage to swap NA publishers for Black Desert twice and still retain my ability to log into the same account via Steam, the GW2 guys have no valid excuse for prohibiting established accounts from playing characters they've used for years via what boils down to a new launcher.

Seethe

Arbiter
People who cared about gw2 left very early on or soon after launch. People who stayed were just content eastern europeans, who preferred the non-subscription model. It is also overshadowed by the two biggest stories in the mmo space right now: WoW's and Blizzards downfall and FFXIV's rise.

I look back at my time in GW2 as a time of great darkness and self-hatred.

Who cares that FFXIV is "rising"? The piece of trash is not even an RPG.

ADL

Prophet
Just logged in for the first time since Path of Fire and the DX11 client has completely refreshed the game in my eyes and added another expansion or two of viability before 'needing' a new game entirely. Before it was a stuttering mess really showing its age, now it has zero stutter and I'm getting even better frame rates than I was on DX9 which was already pretty good.

Got me looking into the new Cantha expansion and I'm probably gonna day one purchase it. Say what you will about Guild Wars 2 but the expansions have always been worth the price of admission.

Caim

Arcane
I tried this game a while back, but when I realized that your bag space and material storage are deliberately gimped so that they can sell more bag slots as microtransactions, gather tools break so that they can sell you unbreakable ones for about 35 euros a set, and will sell you free sources of resources on top of selling lootboxes I dropped the game. Which was a shame, because I really liked the questing and exploration mechanics.

I did see that you can buy gems with in-game money, but how bad is the grind to get to the useful stuff?

ADL

Prophet
I've seen a lot of monetization in MMOs and besides selling subscriptions, this is probably the best and most generous out of all of them to the point where I wonder how they keep the lights on. Considering they only put out expansions every 3-4 years and give everyone the seasonal DLC content for free (as long as you log in), selling things like cosmetics and unbreakable harvest tools is a small price to pay. Even the lootboxes are better than in other games because if you really want a specific mount, you can pay a little more and have the ability to pick it out.

The Elder Scrolls Online is probably the most comparable and they sell yearly 'chapters' (small expansions), quarterly DLCs, lootboxes with undisclosed odds, character slots, consumables, additional character classes and the equivalent of material depositing is locked behind a $15/mo subscription.

Caim

Arcane
Considering they only put out expansions every 3-4 years and give everyone the seasonal DLC content for free (as long as you log in), selling things like cosmetics and unbreakable harvest tools is a small price to pay.
It is never up to the consumer to fund unsustainable business practices. Having certain elements suck and you have to pay for them to not suck is just sneaking in an additional cost while the developer remains seated on the high horse of "pay once, then free". And that's on top of the XP boosters and other "rental" items of convenience (read: not sucking). Having purely cosmetic items that are of similar quality to what you can unlock by playing the game can work, but not if it comes at the cost of having actual stuff in the game.

And just because other games do it worse does not excuse Guild Wars 2 doing it. IIRC ESO has Windhelm and the surrounding area in the main game, then two additional sections of the region as mini-expansions, allowing Todd to sell you bits of Skyrim three more times.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I've seen a lot of monetization in MMOs and besides selling subscriptions, this is probably the best and most generous out of all of them to the point where I wonder how they keep the lights on. Considering they only put out expansions every 3-4 years and give everyone the seasonal DLC content for free (as long as you log in), selling things like cosmetics and unbreakable harvest tools is a small price to pay. Even the lootboxes are better than in other games because if you really want a specific mount, you can pay a little more and have the ability to pick it out.

The Elder Scrolls Online is probably the most comparable and they sell yearly 'chapters' (small expansions), quarterly DLCs, lootboxes with undisclosed odds, character slots, consumables, additional character classes and the equivalent of material depositing is locked behind a $15/mo subscription.
They keep the lights on by not having any major content updates unless it's part of the expansion which you have to pay for again. We had a total of 2 new zones added in like 3 years, before the first xpac launched. If you look at the scope of the expansions, those also pale in comparison to something like FFXIV. GW2 showed me that "sub-free" isn't a selling point, it's a detriment. Yes, you absolutely can grind in-game for the premium currency, but back when I was playing the regular methods yielded something around 1/4th of the minimum wage where I live.

dacencora

I've seen a lot of monetization in MMOs and besides selling subscriptions, this is probably the best and most generous out of all of them

SWTOR probably has the most generous monetization: sub once and you get all current content. Other MMOs typically will unlock all xpacs except the current one if you sub. On the other hand, the Cartel Market is pure cancer and removed any element of trying to do hard raids for cool gear because the best looking gear is in the cash shop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom