Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I think it's less healerless than having all the healing spells spread out amongst the classes. It also seems like certain classes are more healer-oriented than others. For example, the warrior's heals are more oriented to healing themselves with the support effect of giving everybody energy.

Dunno about tanking, though.

Prosper

Educated
my game will be largerly inspired by the creative and artisitc pieces you see inside Guild Wars 2, See the codex workshop for what i have done in concept so far.

+1 for guild wars

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Man, I am hyped about this game. I mainly play MMORPGs because they're like sandbox RPGs, except better than most single player offerings (in other words, besides the Gothic series, MMORPGs are better than all sandbox RPGs especially Beth's crap). One thing I always wanted from a sandbox game was emergent gameplay, and dynamic event chains that have persistent event chains are a good step toward that direction.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Mangoose said:
Man, I am hyped about this game. I mainly play MMORPGs because they're like sandbox RPGs, except better than most single player offerings (in other words, besides the Gothic series, MMORPGs are better than all sandbox RPGs especially Beth's crap). One thing I always wanted from a sandbox game was emergent gameplay, and dynamic event chains that have persistent event chains are a good step toward that direction.

:retarded: there are no good sandboxes around except darkfall

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
raw said:
Mangoose said:

:retarded: there are no good sandboxes around except darkfall
I never said any MMORPGs are good at being sandboxes, per say, but I meant that they are sandbox-like and a lot more fun to play than Oblivious and Morrowind. I also play them more like sandboxes than other people who just play to level. For example when I played WoW back in the day, I spent a lot of time exploring where I didn't even have quests or killable mobs, and doing auction house and other crap.

Besides, name a sandbox or sandbox-ish game (edit: didn't mean to type MMORPG) that you like to play besides Gothic I & II. Draq and Jarlfrank are disqualified from this challenge.

Also, Darkfall sucks (or sucked, when I played at release). Eve would be the best sandbox though I can't get into it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
Morrowind is perfectly boring without any mods, you gigantic faggot.
Fixed.

Get back to me when they add an AI mod so that the world actually exists and changes around you instead of just being there to give you quests and being a hiking simulator.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Mangoose said:

Well, I must say I'm also excited about the dynamic events thing, looks like it will be great fun exploring just for the sake of exploring and finding all these quests all of a sudden, joining inmediately and having fun, not grindin' your way to victory.

However, I am very butthurt about the changes in the combat system. They're removing the most tactical part of it's gameplay, which was one of the main features of the first game, and turning it into just another MMO. The removal of energy-management, no secondary profession, every class is self-sufficient, making the events a clusterfuck of people who are just taking care of themselves and trying to do the maximum damage... and you can't set your fucking skill bar FFS!!

I don't doubt it will be a fun game, all the changes they're doing to the world, making it more PUG friendly and more, well, dynamic, look excellent, but they're also removing GW1 essence and I get mad everytime I go to GW2Guru to see any news about the game and everybody is sucking the developers cock.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I'm also concerned about those things. Don't get me wrong, I'm not flip-flopping from my earlier position. If the current concepts get implemented I'd be just as butthurt, but I will abstain from an opinion because a lot of things are still tentative. Especially on the PVP end, where some skills will work differently (e.g. they said that Fear will last a lot shorter in PVP than in PVE). And actually it seems like the majority of GW2Guru are very much against the removal of energy management, and especially potions.

aron searle

Arcane
anyone can tell me how guild wars 1 played? because i never tried it.

PVE = Typical cRPG to begin with, but at later levels it was much easier to obtain max items (they would be given to you, literarily), the emphasis is on how you use skills, which ones you pick, and how well you play with a team.

Although it didn’t have a persistent world, it instead had levels, the advantage being that levels could be tailored to require at least a modicum of skill to complete them, and good skill and teamwork to complete them with bonuses.

You could complete the game with just henchmen, but some mission bonuses could really only be done with a good human team (some required you to split the team up and guard points for instance).

PVP = You can create a character which starts at max level / stats / lots of skills* and max weapons. (you can also play with your PVE char). I would very often be deleting char’s and creating new ones to try all different builds. The PVP focused on skill and teamwork, not “I have grinded 200 hours and have a sword of instant death”. Think of counter strike or whatever, but as a 3rd person RPG, it’s not about loot, its about skill and teamwork.

*You started with some skills, the rest were unlockable by winning matches

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Berekän said:
I don't doubt it will be a fun game, all the changes they're doing to the world, making it more PUG friendly and more, well, dynamic, look excellent, but they're also removing GW1 essence and I get mad everytime I go to GW2Guru to see any news about the game and everybody is sucking the developers cock.

same. i guess with the promotion came the inevitable dead of braincells. or freedom.

Tycn

Savant
I've probably said it before, but just for the record: this game will be dumbed down and most likely shit.

Angthoron

Arcane
Whacha basin' that on? No sarcasm or anything, would genuinely like to know, as I've actually started looking forward to this too much and would like someone to cool me down a bit.

Tycn

Savant
Angthoron said:
Whacha basin' that on? No sarcasm or anything, would genuinely like to know, as I've actually started looking forward to this too much and would like someone to cool me down a bit.
No secondary professions, 10 skill bar, mandatory skill slots including a healing skill, no dedicated healer class, gimped build diversity, potion based energy management.

Angthoron

Arcane
Don't mind most of it (didn't play GW1 much) but the quaffing does indeed stink. Oh well, frankly with the no tank, no healer model I can't really see GW2 becoming "hardcore" anyway - unless they really make the boss fights unforgiving and force kiting/trapping/positioning to be paramount. I don't see it happening though so, it's going to be a casual product enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom