Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
EDIT: unfortunately the game turns to shit in later chapters

Didn't find a thread for this one, so here is one. Basically I woke up January 1 with a massive action RPG craving, and in the last months I've chewed through Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor Martyr, Last Epoch and Wolcen. This one is 90% off on Steam currently meaning a total cost of 4,5 euros, so I thought "why the hell not?"

So far I'm very glad I did. Out of the four aPRGs I've played the past three months, it's shaping up to the biggest surprise in terms of expectations vs what I got out of it. Mainly because while it has decent combat and progression, it's quite a delight after playing three fairly modern, endgame-oriented aRPGs which focus solely on the meat and potatoes of gameplay and progression to be treated to a single player experience devoted entirely to hand-crafted maps with exploration, secrets and character that I just did not expect. Moreover, the quippy exchanges between Van Helsing and his companion, Lady Katarina (and more importantly, the latter's constant teasing of the former) often work quite well to fill out the empty spaces of exploration. Van Helsing is sort of the professional and effective killing machine to her scholarly and noble aloofness, and she wastes no opportunity mocking him for his shortcomings, which can be quite amusing and helps alleviate his gruff, edgy voice and super duper coolness.

The adamantly antiwoke among you needn't worry about what a strong, intelligent female mocking our masculine hero might mean for the game's politics - indeed, besides being unapologetically feminine, Katarina also has a model only sweaty gopniks could animate; complete with idle animations where she corrects her... ample bossom... as it jiggles about joyfully, like it had a will of its own to break free of a corset so squeezingly tightened it would make Lulu from FFX blush. 2013 sure was long ago.

The game itself consists of all the entries and DLC of the Van Helsing series scooped up and crammed into one, seamless game. So as far as the progression goes, it's crammed full of years of additive progression systems, but they've done the necessary streamlining (in the positive sense) here, so while you have a ton of systems, they all work together pretty well. You got your fairly large skill tree, you got your ability scores, but then you also manage the inventory, skills and stats of your companion Katarina, who can be kitted out to fill the roles you lack in - so if you're the tank, she's the ranged damage, if you're the glass cannon, she's the life-stealing frontliner, or if you're versatile she's a buffer and so on.

On top of this you got a perk system which is essentially like Feats from a D&D game - you unlock these very slowly through a reputation system.

EDIT: oh and I completely forgot power-ups. You got two resources for powering your skills in this game: Mana for casting skills and Rage for empowering them with power-ups that you upgrade in the skill-tree. Power-ups are a little weird and I don't recommend manualing them - pick one (_1_) power-up for each skill that you don't spam, then setup your power-ups in the menu and go into settings and set them to auto. This way you get the most bang for your power-up buck while not having to manually keep track of them.

It's actually kind of impressive how modern some of the progression feels - Diablo 4's skill tree is more or less a gutted version of Van Helsing's.

The item system is robust but very simple, however there's a fairly decent enchanting system on top which actually kind of reminds me a tiny bit of Last Epoch's (the best crafting system in any aRPG, it's not even close). Essentially there's a ton of different essence effects which cost different amount of Essence Points to put on an item, and each item has its own Essence Score. So you might find an average item with a high Essence Score making it a candidate for a substitution for a better item you're already wielding.

You also got a fairly simple crafting system where you can essentially combine two items to roll on a new one.

As far as I can tell, I haven't even discovered all of the progression systems yet, so there might be more than the above. At one point you get a hideout, and it looks like there might be some light base management involved as well?

As for the combat, I can only really speak to one of the game's six classes, which is the Bounty Hunter - your pistolero/rifleman archetype. I'm using dual pistols and while the skills are kind of mediocre, what elevates the combat is (1) the fact that you have 8 (!) active skills - an upgradable auto-attack, a right-click, and six additional skills on the hotbar - and (2) that the sound design is for the most part stellar. Firing mah pistewls just sounds good enough that I could do it all day.

One thing that is sorely missing, however, is a modern movement skill system with rolls and more activeness. My move skills are an invisibility button and a speed button, and it makes the combat much less dynamic than it could have been. The praise above also comes with the disclaimer that I'm nowhere near done with the game, so it has plenty of time to disappoint me and make me sour on it yet.

Besides the Bounty Hunter, the classes are The Protector, a mobile tank, the Umbralist, a sort of spellblade rogue, the Elementalist which is your mage, the Constructor which is your minion-class, and the Phlogistoneer, which is a mech-suit type of guy with traps and gadgets.

Like I said though - the main thing I’ve been enjoying so far is exploring the hand-crafted maps and uncovering secrets, often accompanied by the banter of the two main characters as they comment on whatever they discover.

On a final note, the world is very interesting. You don't find goblins and zombies in this one - you fight mechanized alchemical robot tin soldiers and weird Witcher-universe like creatures from slavic myths. It's very difficult to describe the setting because it is such a hodge-podge of unique concepts. It's set in fantastical, renaissance Europe spliced with Steampunk combined with gothic horror and slavic myth. It's sort of bizarre, which I like.

There's a mod for it called Van Helsing: Enhanced which balances a lot of the systems - I played around with and without the mod for a short while, so I can't speak to the mod in depth, but for my money it seems to be especially effective at handling difficulty scaling on higher difficulties, where the main game is completely off its rocker soaring to insane heights of impossible down to laughable levels of snooze-fest.

Be sure to grab the semi-updated version from Agent Orange here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yS2h5chn-HHHtChBMBVXkAJsVBMT4jRC/view (by the way, agentorange, is that you?)

There's also a Quest Fix mod that has minor quest fixes, but I've left it out of my own install as it and Enhanced change some of the same files, and I didn't want to risk a conflict.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
I remember trying this but then i realised all of the skills are active, no passives. Prime example of piano gameplay, not my cup of tea.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I remember trying this but then i realised all of the skills are active, no passives. Prime example of piano gameplay, not my cup of tea.

That's a misnomer. You have a whole skill tree solely devoted to passive skills, in fact. I just forgot to mention because I didn't put points into it until very recently.

As far as piano goes, that's not my impression, but it might be because of my class. I'm only spamming my left and rightclick. All my other skills I don't use off cooldown, only when I need to. In fact, three of my skills don't even have a cooldown, so pianoning them doesn't make much sense. The remaining three are two movement/defensive skills which I only use situationally, and then a summon. So I have a single skill that I use off cooldown somewhat regularly. And then I still have a skill slot open.

It might be very class-dependent though.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
For some images of what I mean, this is the active skill tree (for Bounty Hunter specifically, each class has their own tree):

CHx1usI.jpg

Each big round node is an actual skill, each square is a node that modifies that skill and each small round node is a power-up.

And this is the passive skill tree (again, each class has their own one):

sN4yLIY.jpg

Each big square is a passive skill, and each small square is a node that modifies that skill.

So yes, the game very much has a passive skill tree.

Katarina has three trees, which contain a mix of active and passive skills (her AI controls the actives).

And if you're curious, this is my perk screen. There's a ton of potential perks not listed - you unlock perks by essentially reaching milestones:

DFh0L7z.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thanks for sharing Grunker; what were your impressions of Wolcen as a SP game? Did you ever try Seven?

Wolcen is easily the weakest of the four games I played. It's in a fairly polished state now - especially the networking worked without any hitches for us so the multiplayer experience was great - there's just not anything interesting to say about it. It does nothing particularly well compared with other titles, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for single player. Basically it's an alternative to PoE if you're glutted on PoE and find that Last Epoch is still a bit too buggy and a bit too barebones on the endgame. Otherwise I think I'd skip it. The story is utter, useless garbage, almost bad enough to be amusing, but not really.

I haven't played Seven, no. It looks interesting though light on the progression elements?

EDIT: I enjoyed Mark of the Ninja very, very much though, and this looks essentially like an aRPG MotN?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I haven’t played Seven or MotN, but Seven looks interesting. I think it was roasted in its dedicated thread here bc people were made to expect an actual RPG but got an aRPG instead.

I’m not a connoisseur, not into PoE or even D2. D1 is my speed, so depth of progression doesn’t matter so much to me as the overall experience. I weigh aesthetics pretty heavily in this genre, and Seven looks plus sounds interesting. Given your right up of Van Helsing and the price ($5 USD), I’ll probably pick it and Seven up ($5 USD as well).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I haven’t played Seven or MotN, but Seven looks interesting. I think it was roasted in its dedicated thread here bc people were made to expect an actual RPG but got an aRPG instead.

I’m not a connoisseur, not into PoE or even D2. D1 is my speed, so depth of progression doesn’t matter so much to me as the overall experience. I weigh aesthetics pretty heavily in this genre, and Seven looks plus sounds interesting. Given your right up of Van Helsing and the price ($5 USD), I’ll probably pick it and Seven up ($5 USD as well).

Yeah I picked up Seven since it's on a massive discount, definitely looks interesting.

Van Helsing has good sound deign but the graphics aren't stellar. They're more servicable. Clear and distinct, like.

Mark of the Ninja isn't an aRPG at all. The closest genre description is something like "stealth platformer", but I don't like stealth games nor platformers, and I hecking loved it. I believe Darth Roxor penned a review here if you want to look it up. It's one out of very small number of games I'd describe as near-perfect in terms of living up to the design vision.

EDIT: I was wrong, it was Mrowak: https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8637

ArchAngel

Arcane
I remember I played Van Helsing at some point but I do not remember these skill trees. Is Van Helsing one that had a dedicated button for dodge, jump or something like that?
Also can you be a mage in Van Helsing or just sword and pistol?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I remember I played Van Helsing at some point but I do not remember these skill trees. Is Van Helsing one that had a dedicated button for dodge, jump or something like that?

Grunker said:
One thing that is sorely missing, however, is a modern movement skill system with rolls and more activeness

You're thinking of Victor Vran, maybe. Haven't played that.

Van Helsing said:

Grunker said:
Besides the Bounty Hunter, the classes are The Protector, a mobile tank, the Umbralist, a sort of spellblade rogue, the Elementalist which is your mage, the Constructor which is your minion-class, and the Phlogistoneer, which is a mech-suit type of guy with traps and gadgets.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Grunker said:
One thing that is sorely missing, however, is a modern movement skill system with rolls and more activeness

You're thinking of Victor Vran, maybe. Haven't played that.

Van Helsing said:

Grunker said:
Hmm it could be.
I might check out Van Helsing in this case.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
The first (and second?) Van Helsing games had different character systems. Auras and perks were stil there IIRC but the skills themselves were different and it was quasi-classless in that you could invest in melee/ranged skills however you wanted. They subsequently added other classes beyond the base hunter and split the base hunter across other classes. Now the hunter is just the ranged char. In 3/ultimate edition they settled on the system described by grunker.

I beat the first several times. I also played the ultimate edition into the second game, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much. The tower defense element is worse IMO, and I found the war scenarios tiresome compared to just questing and adventuring like in the first game. I'm sure I'll pick it up and finish it at some point, but I have a ton of games to play and no time, so it'll probably wait a few more months/years.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm sad to hear that questing and adventuring will be playing a smaller role - that's definitely the highlights of the game so far.

Anyway, a build update on the highest difficulty unlocked so far (Inhuman Ordeal 2). I'm using 10 active skills now lol:

Left Click is Glacier Blast, primarily because it is an auto attack that has a passive that generates mana. If I hit F1, Left Click swaps to Seeker Automatons, which summons a bunch of bots that debuff the enemies. You only need to summon these once so not a problem swapping them in on map change. F2 swaps back to Glacier Shot.

Right Click is Poison Blast which is my main AoE clearing skill. This is swapped with Precision Shot (F3, then F4 to swap back to Poison Blast) which is a channeled big badaboom single target shot for hueg enemies. Rarely used, but great when it is.

Q is Missile Vault - finally got an active movement skill! Also great as it fires out missiles with good utility.

W is Sphere of Timelessness - basically Time Stop.

E is Ghostly Mirage, makes a pair of Katarina copies for extra tanking.

R is Grapple Snare, which is very fun skill. You fire it at an enemy and hooks shoot out from that enemy and pull in other enemies in area. So you can use it in multiple ways; for example to bunch up enemies for Poison Blast, or to save yourself from an approaching enemy by using the skill on an enemy farther away, which will then pull in the close enemy.

A is Haste, basic bitch movement speed stereoid.

D is "oh shit" aka Ethereal Embodiment, invisibility and invulnerability.

I don't think I've ever played an action RPG that made me click so many buttons before, and it's certainly not a piano; using Grapple Snare off cooldown would be completely pointless, for instance (as would the last two skills, obviously). Q is used once in a while, E is off cooldown, and W is only for tough fights since the cooldown is a full minute.

My passives are Masterful Evasion for Dodge, Telekinetic Aura for ranged damage reduction (mainly a QoL skill that saves your squishy dude from dying to a bunch of small horde enemies that fire shots up your ass) and Invigorating Hit. This last one is the real kicker of the build, I don't see many Bounty Hunters going without it. Life Leech, Mana Leech AND Rage Leech in one gorgeous package. I haven't unlocked the Rage Leech node yet though.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok so it seems Final Cut is a different game than standard Van Helsing. It also has some high texture pack.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Ok so it seems Final Cut is a different game than standard Van Helsing. It also has some high texture pack.

Grunker said:
The game itself consists of all the entries and DLC of the Van Helsing series scooped up and crammed into one, seamless game.

They basically took all the content from the Van Helsing games, put it into one game, and merged all the systems, cutting and adding where necessary. The games has 11 full-length chapters lol. I'm 12 hours in and nearing the end of Chap 2.

Shaki

Arbiter
I wouldn't call Seven an RPG at all. I liked it, it's a pretty unique game with a lot of ambition and love poured into it, but it's closer to isometric open world Thief than an aRPG. I played it at release when it was buggy as hell, and apparently they improved and changed a shitload of systems since then, but I remember combat being super barebones and feel like an afterthought. Stealth was definitely the intended way to play. The biggest strength of the game was definitely exploration and level design, every obstacle could be approached in multiple ways, and the parkour shit was pretty cool. It was pretty fun experience overall, but not one I would associate with a typical aRPG gameplay in any way.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I wouldn't call Seven an RPG at all. I liked it, it's a pretty unique game with a lot of ambition and love poured into it, but it's closer to isometric open world Thief than an aRPG. I played it at release when it was buggy as hell, and apparently they improved and changed a shitload of systems since then, but I remember combat being super barebones and feel like an afterthought. Stealth was definitely the intended way to play. The biggest strength of the game was definitely exploration and level design, every obstacle could be approached in multiple ways, and the parkour shit was pretty cool. It was pretty fun experience overall, but not one I would associate with a typical aRPG gameplay in any way.
seven is one of the best things that happened to me. It feels like you are playing rpg, althought it doesnt have any systems to show for it.
Provided that you want to play sneak thief that is.

In the end though, game is too big, which becomes annoying

played the first game to completion twice which is super rare for me

nice game when it sticks with its knitting but gets a bit tiresome in the tower defence stuff

thinking of picking up this edition for a long time but ive heard reports the TD stuff gets front loaded in later games

is this true codex comrades

EDIT: nevermind i picked it up its 90% off at steam spring sale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/400170/The_Incredible_Adventures_of_Van_Helsing_Final_Cut/

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I really hope the winning formula of "explore big map with lots of side quests and secrets" doesn't stop, though your comments hint at it. Oldtown is a hint in that direction so far - it's still a cool map with good exploration, it's just massive so the content is spread out more thinly and it's chock full of enemies.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah I picked up Seven since it's on a massive discount, definitely looks interesting.

Van Helsing has good sound deign but the graphics aren't stellar. They're more servicable. Clear and distinct, like.

Mark of the Ninja isn't an aRPG at all. The closest genre description is something like "stealth platformer", but I don't like stealth games nor platformers, and I hecking loved it. I believe Darth Roxor penned a review here if you want to look it up. It's one out of very small number of games I'd describe as near-perfect in terms of living up to the design vision.

EDIT: I was wrong, it was Mrowak: https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8637

I may have not reviewed Mark of the Ninja, but I enjoyed it muchly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom