Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I got the first two games with class DLCs from some earlier sale, is it worth getting the final cut?

Probably not if the last two parts are shit? I’m only in Chapter 3 so haven’t finished the first game yet so I can’t say for sure. If they keep up the exploration, I’d say yes. If it degenerates into tower defense and just enemies in maps, I’ll probably drop it myself.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Final Cut sounds cool on paper, but the last 1/3 of the game (ie. Van Hellsing III) is the weakest part. So much I rather play each two games separately and not touch the 3rd game.
And then you can't import character from VH2 to VH3 which is a bummer - can't got Wizardry 6-7-8 import path...

Sykar

Arcane
Thanks for sharing Grunker; what were your impressions of Wolcen as a SP game? Did you ever try Seven?

Wolcen is easily the weakest of the four games I played. It's in a fairly polished state now - especially the networking worked without any hitches for us so the multiplayer experience was great - there's just not anything interesting to say about it. It does nothing particularly well compared with other titles, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for single player. Basically it's an alternative to PoE if you're glutted on PoE and find that Last Epoch is still a bit too buggy and a bit too barebones on the endgame. Otherwise I think I'd skip it. The story is utter, useless garbage, almost bad enough to be amusing, but not really.

I haven't played Seven, no. It looks interesting though light on the progression elements?

EDIT: I enjoyed Mark of the Ninja very, very much though, and this looks essentially like an aRPG MotN?
The worst part about Wolcen is that it was completely different from what was promised on top of basically copying D3 on a lot of fronts like the modifiers for spells and abilities and of course story to a degree, like going up against the "primeavals" :lol:

I got the first two games with class DLCs from some earlier sale, is it worth getting the final cut?

Probably not if the last two parts are shit? I’m only in Chapter 3 so haven’t finished the first game yet so I can’t say for sure. If they keep up the exploration, I’d say yes. If it degenerates into tower defense and just enemies in maps, I’ll probably drop it myself.
I read up on it on Steam forums and it seems like they made some balance changes and let you play a single character through all 3 games which is not possible from 2 to 3 in the original trilogy. Also it has 6 classes instead of a mere 3 which is intruiging.
I got a decent amount of fun from the first two games of the trilogy and 5 bucks aren't hurting me so guess I am giving it a try.

flushfire

Augur
gave it a go. Its boring
Same impression. Not sure exactly what it is, just... nothing really stood out. Art direction is meh, and idk what it is about the feedback animations or audio but fighting felt unsatisfying for some reason. Also didn't like the FOV at 1080p, wanted to zoom out a bit more. Maybe it's just ARPG burnout, but I liked Grim Dawn better than this game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
gave it a go. Its boring
Same impression. Not sure exactly what it is, just... nothing really stood out. Art direction is meh, and idk what it is about the feedback animations or audio but fighting felt unsatisfying for some reason. Also didn't like the FOV at 1080p, wanted to zoom out a bit more. Maybe it's just ARPG burnout, but I liked Grim Dawn better than this game.
I did go for pew pew pistols. Ordered my ghost companion to just go in for carnage. So I need her to max body for both melee and suvrival. Then I just max baxic pistols along with power up for some aoe. Easy, boring, no dagger&pistol.
Also tried assassin cahracter but couldnt stand those constant back/frontlip animations lol

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My brother in RPGs, if you like charismatic hats, pistols and killing hundreds of filthy heretics and creatures, why not play Grim Dawn?

I did, a couple of years ago. I didn't like it much. I found it to be a boring version of PoE/Last Epoch.

This one isn't extremely strong on the aRPG system side - the reason I'm enjoying it so much are the single player aspects, chiefly the exploration, the world-building and the interactions between Katarina and Helsing. There are a ton of secrets in each chapter which makes the pacing great - you switch between KV banter, finding stuff, doing a puzzle, fighting monsters and viewing story segments.

I do enjoy the systems though, they're way better than I thought. I'm also playing at the highest difficulty possible (Inhuman Ordeal 2 currently) and the game is giving me a run for my money now. Fearless was OK in the beginning, Inhuman Ordeal 1 came right as my build blossomed so that was the easiest part yet, but Oldtown on Inhuman Ordeal 2 has had me dying a lot. Probably more than I remember doing in an aRPG these last few years.

Where this game is really particular lacking is dynamism in combat. The lack of active movement (for both you and the enemy) really makes the combat a numbers game more than an active playstyle question. A very tiny amount of enemies have a sort of hook-effect where they can pull you in, and when they do, it feels almost like the game is breaking a rule, because hardly anything else in the game except bosses or enemies with slow but hard-hitting attacks require you to move as a response to specific abilities (that is, beyond moving away from monsters attempting to attack you).

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thinking about it, this game is kind of a poster boy for why I didn't like Grim Dawn. Grim Dawn is essentially this game if you took out its single player aspects, which is the whole reason you play it. Without them it's just a mediocre aRPG.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
My brother in RPGs, if you like charismatic hats, pistols and killing hundreds of filthy heretics and creatures, why not play Grim Dawn?
for starters grim dawn doesnt start with you navigating the map, slaying krakens and what not, then finally hitting the real story where you are too weak to handle a crowd of bandits

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK, I started playing this and got to lvl 14. So far it is kind of average. I took Elementalist, playing on Hard. Class it terrible at taking hits (gets killed in 2-3 hits) and I would not say it does good damage either.
It is very irritating that I do not have click to move but I need to have attack on both mouse buttons (for example some enemies have ability to pull you towards them which ends up with you getting surrounded by enemies and dying before you are able to move your mouse to some empty space so you actually move instead of attacking).
On the other hand there seems to not be a real penalty to dying so I already zerg rushed couple of bosses until they died.

I am not a fan of rage system and needing to spam A and S buttons (so far) so most of my attacks can get a boost.
Also game has same shit like Diablo 3 where spell damage is % of your base weapon damage.. at this point I might as well play D3 again..

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I am not a fan of rage system and needing to spam A and S buttons (so far) so most of my attacks can get a boost.

This is the fourth time you could spare yourself the trouble by just reading the OP, so this time I’m not gonna quote it. Go CTRL+F it and stop manualing power-ups

ArchAngel

Arcane

This is the fourth time you could spare yourself the trouble by just reading the OP, so this time I’m not gonna quote it. Go CTRL+F it and stop manualing power-ups
Unless that does not use rage it does not help. I got one spell for AoE and one for single (which is move as well) and each needs rage in different situations.
Also single target one has two modifiers

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Unless that does not use rage it does not help. I got one spell for AoE and one for single (which is move as well) and each needs rage in different situations.
Also single target one has two modifiers

just read it and do what it says instead of banging your head against the wall

Geisler

Educated
I played the original Van Helsing way back when it was released. Wasn't too impressed, apart from the setting it felt like a D3 rehash but with a lot more bugs. To be honest, out of all titles mentioned ITT, i would just play Last Epoch instead. I can delve into the why and how, but i don't want to derail this thread talking too much about another game.

I know Last Epoch costs a lot more, but it just got a huge patch (patch 0.9, so close to 1.0 release) and despite not having a fully fleshed out endgame, will get you more "worthwhile" mileage than this 3in1 Van Helsing game (which i've read everywhere turns into a boring slog by the time you hit what used to be the end of the second game).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Grabbed it, thanks for the tip.

Don't usually play these games but recently I grabbed Darksiders Genesis and had a blast, so I'm craving some more isometric action goodness.

Too bad Victor Vran isn't on sale, looks interesting too.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nah just pressing space is fine. Just don't use power ups you do not want on your skill.
I just tried auto and space and space method is way superior. With Auto giving power boosts to my summon was no longer possible as my left and right click attacks would always use up all the rage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom