Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Indie Bundle Mega Thread

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Snorkack Every RPG system is as good as the game master and players can make it. But yeah, these are all the books you will ever need for V:TM. Even the $1 tier is enough to start, but I would go for the mid tier at least, to get that Storyteller's Handbook.

Brumaire I do not know what the difference is, my interest in V:TM faded out before the V20, but Humble Bundle seems to have a better bang-for-buck deal.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Not sure if this belongs here or in a new Gazebo thread but...

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-masquerade-rpg-bundle

Tons of V:TM sourcebooks.
Now, I never got into WOD games, nor do I know people that play them. The structure of those publications seem to be rather different to the p&p systems I'm used to. So if anyone here's familiar with the ruleset, I'd like to ask two questions:
-Does this collection provide a comprehensive set of crunch and fluff to get a good session running, or is this full of rarely useful fluff while essential publications are missing?
-Is this actually... good?

It's revised and not 20th Anniversary edition which is the latest re-release that did some major changes to update the system, but that revised corebook alone is all you really need. Everything else is more stuff; whether that be in-depth look into factions, story hook ideas, setting details, etc. I mean, this is probably the cheapest possible way to get legally started with Masquerade considering it's all out of print, and even if you don't care about the game most of these books have some nice fluff in them if you just care about stories.

To piggyback on this, another website has a sale of the V20 books. Which edition is preferable?
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/94815/Vampire-The-Masquerade-20th-Anniversary-Edition

I'll always recommend the 20th Anniversary edition because it's simply more solid mechanically, but I'm also not a fan of SJW bullshit how they rewrote some of the content. v20 also has a lot more IN the corebook compared to revised, for example. So you don't need some stuff from Guide to Sabbat/Camarilla just to cover the basics that were absent previously.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So V:TM, is it only good for urban horror stuff? Any interesting beasties there?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So V:TM, is it only good for urban horror stuff? Any interesting beasties there?

Well, yes. It's urban horror, but what you want has more to do with the fact that Vampire: the Masquerade don't have many beasties because their worst enemies are, fittingly enough, themselves in whether it's fighting their inner Beast, whether it's Sabbat or Camarilla and their cold war, separate Inconnu pulling the strings behind temporal matters, ancient Methuselah vampires pulling EVERYONE'S strings in turn in their supposedly never-ending Jihad, etc. Basically, it's a byzantine system of fealties and feuds between vampires ruling their society and new upstarts making their way without [completely] losing their humanity along the way, even if it is inevitable to happen at some point in pursuit of power.

Pretty much every other game line has a more extensive bestiary than vampires. In my opinion at least, unless you make Tzimisce fleshcrafting a really big part of your game.

eUfjAqf.jpg

Don't talk to my wife or my son ever again.

Caim

Arcane
Not sure if this belongs here or in a new Gazebo thread but...

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-masquerade-rpg-bundle

Tons of V:TM sourcebooks.
Now, I never got into WOD games, nor do I know people that play them. The structure of those publications seem to be rather different to the p&p systems I'm used to. So if anyone here's familiar with the ruleset, I'd like to ask two questions:
-Does this collection provide a comprehensive set of crunch and fluff to get a good session running, or is this full of rarely useful fluff while essential publications are missing?
-Is this actually... good?
Revised edition is more or less the "third" edition of Vampire: The Masquerade. WoD games, and especially Vampire, are more about roleplaying, intrigue and politics rather than the more hack and slash games like D&D. Vampire is by far the most popular and supported game of all the WoD games.

Note the difference between classic World of Darkness and new World of Darkness. The latter is now also known as Chronicles of Darkness, with its Vampire game being called Vampire: The Requiem. It was different from V:TM and did not add to the old stuff, so people hated it at first.

But now, for the books in that bundle:
$1 Tier
- Vampire: The Masquerade is the core book and a solid basis to play on, but as above lacks the detail on certain factions that other versions (especially Vampire 20th anniverary) have.
- Guide to the Camarilla is a book on the Camarilla, the mainstream vampire faction in the world. They uphold and enforce the titular Masquerade, which hides the vampire world from the real world.
- Clanbooks go into detail on the 13 clans of vampires; their MO, powers, where they are and other such stuff.
- The Brujah are former scholars turned rowdy punks. Their powers include being super strong and fast.
- The Nosferatu are ugly motherfuckers mostly living in the sewers. They are information brokers who can turn themselves invisible.
- The Toreador are the stereotypical hot seductive vampires. With their powers they can make themselves the center of attention and inspire people to do things for them.
- The Ventrue are the princes of vampiredom, the natural leaders. Of course they're dicks about this. With their powers they can mentally dominate other people.

$8 Tier
- Storyteller's Handbook is a supplement for the Storyteller, the one running the game.
- The Gangrel are the crazy-ass vampires living in the wild. Some of them live in the ocean as well. OCEAN VAMPIRES, BITCH. They have the vampire powers that have to do with animals and nature: grow claws, turn into a wolf or mist and so on.
- The Malkavian are the batshit crazy clan whose members are in contact with one another through the Malkavian Madness Network, a mental link between all Malkavians that allows them to share information. Sometimes. They can inflict their madness onto others.
- The Tremere are a clan of former mages turned vampires. They can use their many forms of magic to fuck your shit up.
(note: the above seven factions founded and form the majority of the Camarilla)
- Guide to the Sabbat tells the story of the Sabbat, a group of vampires who reject human morality as a way of living, making them assholes. They are pretty much at war with the Camarilla.
- The Lasombra are the rivals of the Ventrue and massive assholes all around. They have sinister shadow-based magic to fuck your shit up. They also don't have reflections.
- The Tzimisce live in Eastern Europe, where they practice their art of Fleshwarping, a fucked up kind of magic that lets them reshape the bodies of other living and unliving things.
(note: the above two founded and make up the bulk of the Sabbat)
- The Book of Nod is a weird in-universe book written like a religious text that ostensibly recounts the story of Caine, the first vampire.

$15 Tier
- Guide to the Anarchs tells the story of the Anarchs, a group of vampires who dislike the Camarilla and the Sabbat. They kicked both of them out of LA, where they set up shop.
- The Assamite are the Hashashin. As vampires. Who like to hunt other vampires. They have sneaking powers.
- The Followers of Set want to bring their founder, Set, back to the world. This is bad news for everyone. They have snaking powers.
- The Giovanni are the most potent necromancers of all the clans. They also come from a single family. And they like to fuck each other.
- The Ravnos are Indian gypsy vampires who can create illusions. In the metaplot they get offed alongside their founder when they go crazy in Bangladesh and get murdered with a space mirror reflecting sunlight onto the city. And magical nukes.
(note: the above four are mostly independent, with some members joining up with the various factions)
- Mind's Eye Theatre is the book with the LARPing rules written for the largest group LARPing Vampire. This group may or may not be on an FBI watch list.

Most notable book missing is the Player's Guide Revised, which is a supplement with more stuff for the players.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've heard revised sucks compared to 2nd edition. They removed cool meta-plot stuff because people complained apparently? And the art keeps getting worse with each new release I've heard).

Caim

Arcane
It's interesting to note that Revised edition is perfectly compatible with both earlier versions of Vampire and the 20th anniversary book, so if you have interesting stuff to use go right ahead.

Oh, and the symbol on the Book of Nod?

booknod.jpg

The ring of skulls symbolises Caine, his three childer Enoch, Irad and Zillah and their childer in turn, the Antediluvians:

- Absimiliard of the Nosferatu
- Arikel of the Toreador
- Brujah of the Brujah
- Cappadocius of the Cappadocian
- Ennoia of the Gangrel (who also gave birth to the first werewolves)
- Haqim of the Assamite
- Lasombra of the Lasombra
- Malkav of the Malkavian
- Ravana of the Ravnos
- Saulot of the Salubri
- Set of the Followers of Set
- Tzimisce of the Tzimisce
- Ventru of the Ventrue

Now, most of them have been overtaken in some way. Brujah was diablerized (drunk dry by another vampire) by one called Troile, Cappadocius was diablerized by Augustus Giovanni, the founder of the Giovanni and Saulut was diablerized by Tremere, a former mage turned vampire.

Some of them are dead, like the ones mentioned above as well as Ventru and Lasombra. Others are still alive but stuck in torpor, a sleep through which they can still manipulate people and events. All clans have their own tales regarding this: for example Malkav is said to reside in or even be the Malkavian Madness Network, controlling his childer from there. Some clans seek to reawaken their antediluvians, while others hate theirs with a passion. General consensus is that awakening them is a Bad Idea: in the metaplot Ravana woke up, rampaged through Bangladesh and got murdered with the aforementioned space mirror.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No Erciyes Fragments in the bundle? :decline:

latest

I was somewhat tempted at first as I'm missing some of the physical copies (just opened one to check, the artwork remains :bounce:). But my books are all from an older edition. I know they are compatible but I'd like one complete set please.

Caim

Arcane
Oh boy, they added the final book to the Vampire Revised bundle! What is it? The Players' Guide? Caine's Chosen? Nights of Prophecy? Children of the Night? New York By Night? Sins of the Blood? One of those Gehenna books? Nope! It's...

Eternal Hearts.

Which is not a source book of any kind, but instead it's an erotic vampire novel.

Top tier trolling there, guys.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yup.

Eternal Hearts features:
* New prose from Bram Stoker Award-winning author Lucy Taylor
* Illustrations by Books of Magic and The Vampire Lestat artist John Bolton

:prosper:

Had they really wanted to troll players they would've included Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand.

Riskbreaker

That name (combined with "erotic horror") sounded familiar to me, so i had to check it up. I've actually read one of her stories, nasty piece about twisted gay relationship between professional wrestler and his young fanboy.
Kind of stuff that would've been appreciated by Codexers, methinks.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Judging by the Steam reviews singleplayer, yes, multiplayer, fuck no.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not to mention that Tharsis got a patch last week, so the devs are still supporting it.

I'd say the $1 tier is worth it for Tharsis alone.

nomask7

Arcane
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-8

I grabbed it for the Dead Effect 2, since I had so much fun with the first. Will check the other games too.

f16adee2-845a-4360-96fa-cf80cfa449cd.jpg

Blue Estate The Game

99a17ede-4fc8-49a7-8934-cdafcea63a2f.jpg

Dead Effect 2

a02b871f-037f-4112-9726-d9eb656d6254.jpg

Odallus: The Dark Call

79fd5602-72f9-4cd0-bd7b-3b02ed1eab45.jpg

Riff Racer - Race Your Music!

a3333dac-0f27-4a71-8892-f0b690957d00.jpg

PONCHO

66f0f471-77c6-4c3d-9770-2efcb1ae59df.jpg

Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn

6d26325c-817c-4dbe-a49a-37bc95cd55f0.jpg

One More Dungeon

3542246e-9033-4a98-9c1f-285f5cbaf005.jpg

Cross of the Dutchman

a848bfd6-dc9d-488a-b8a8-380f04d8cb72.jpg

Better Late Than DEAD

So, I did some research on these....

Blue Estate has sexy stripper but otherwise seems to be completely brainless, and not in a way that would appeal to anyone here.

Dead Effect 2 gets a lot of bad reviews at Steam, and why not play the Borderlands games instead?

Odallus seems interesting if you like old SNES and NES Castlevanias, with a bit of Super Metroid (i.e. exploration and secrets) thrown into the mix. Has real, actual fans. It may be good enough a game that one should, on moral grounds, buy it full price.

One More Dungeon looks like it may be fun for a few hours. It looks like one of those rogue-lites that almost no one has played for longer than ten hours or even longer than a couple of hours, and nobody for anything near a hundred hours or more.

Cross of the Dutchman looks like a mediocre, pointless Diablo-clone or something along those lines.

Better Late Than Dead has a stupid name and is apparently an unfinished, unloved open-world survival game that I'm not sure even the devs themselves take seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom