Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Delekflay reads like your old uncle that really barely keep track of things on the last 20 years and assumes the world didnt change a bit.

DC comics is being eviscerated right now for not selling, Marvel comics is also selling like shit, DC series like Batwoman are being cancelled left and right, Disney Star Wars is underperformong hard, the merchandising business is dead. I can make a bigger list and go on excruciating detail how sjw bs is involved on all that but it is not worthy.

I'd have to research it but I'd assume there's obvious other reasons action figures and comics might struggle in 2020, but as you say there's probably no point to the discussion. Just as there's no real point arguing with people who think the third best selling Playstation exclusive after 2 months of sales (better than the original game) is a sign of failure.

Maybe you guys are right though. Maybe the culture war has taken over more people than I think, and drives the decisions of more than just the very loud internet and activist types. That would depress me more than call me to war though, I'm not a tribal us vs. them type. If that is the case, I'd say you're pretty much fucked honestly. Corporations care way more about youth dollars than yours, and polls showing youths are dramatically on "their side," but hey you never know.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Just as there's no real point arguing with people who think the third best selling Playstation exclusive after 2 months of sales (better than the original game) is a sign of failure.
Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS) latest global box office hit, "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," is still a sweeping success, marking 2017's most successful film and the No. 9 film of all time. U dum.
Tlou2 saw 6 years of dev time. They are probably just breaking even at 6M copies sold.

We'll see in November how much it earned in Sony's supplements to earnings and try to isolate it from Ghost of Tukushima or whatever.

Lambach

Arcane
Not hardly. Estimates have the total production cost at around 100 Million. The sales to this point have made around 3X that.

No doubt it made its money back and then some, but that's irrelevant. The real question is whether it made enough money to satisfy the suits.

Take the most recent high-profile flop as an example. Anthem also more than made its production and marketing money back, but it didn't make nearly as much as EA was expecting, so they (very quietly) pulled the plug on it. And no, I'm not saying that's because it was woke or anything, I'm saying that nowadays, triple A publishers, as someone once eloquently stated, no longer want a shitton of money, they want all the money. Did Angry Golfing Tranny Simulator live up to their expectations enough for them to keep milking the brand, like they've been doing with Uncharted, or did Cuckmann cave the franchise's skull in with a golf club? Pretty difficult to tell after only 2 months, but the fact that Cuckmann is denying the possibility of any DLC and is instead talking about an online mode/standalone multiplayer game (despite "huge sales success") is not exactly a vote of confidence.

JDR13

Arcane
Not hardly. Estimates have the total production cost at around 100 Million. The sales to this point have made around 3X that.

No doubt it made its money back and then some, but that's irrelevant. The real question is whether it made enough money to satisfy the suits.

Take the most recent high-profile flop as an example. Anthem also more than made its production and marketing money back, but it didn't make nearly as much as EA was expecting, so they (very quietly) pulled the plug on it. And no, I'm not saying that's because it was woke or anything, I'm saying that nowadays, triple A publishers, as someone once eloquently stated, no longer want a shitton of money, they want all the money. Did Angry Golfing Tranny Simulator live up to their expectations enough for them to keep milking the brand, like they've been doing with Uncharted, or did Cuckmann cave the franchise's skull in with a golf club? Pretty difficult to tell after only 2 months, but the fact that Cuckmann is denying the possibility of any DLC and is instead talking about an online mode/standalone multiplayer game (despite "huge sales success") is not exactly a vote of confidence.

It's always about the suits. That's nothing new.

I think you're reading too much into Cuckman's comments though. I wouldn't be surprised to see another sequel someday. I haven't played Part 2 though, so I have no idea how it ends or how plausible a sequel would be.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Curiously, the article says 3rd highest grossing, but there are three first-party games ahead of it on the best-selling list, Uncharted 4 is unmentioned in the article, and sold 16 mil. I can't imagine that The Last of Us cost less money to make, so either TLoU2 sold more copies than U4, which is strangely unmentioned, or something rotten is going on in the state of Denmark.
Delekflay reads like your old uncle that really barely keep track of things on the last 20 years and assumes the world didnt change a bit.

DC comics is being eviscerated right now for not selling, Marvel comics is also selling like shit, DC series like Batwoman are being cancelled left and right, Disney Star Wars is underperformong hard, the merchandising business is dead. I can make a bigger list and go on excruciating detail how sjw bs is involved on all that but it is not worthy.
Not to derail the topic, but comparing a multi-million dollar production, that for all its faults, had a concrete vision, to the Big 2 of comics, which constantly screw around with on-going comics for whatever reason, is a bit silly. Every year is another event that kills and resurrects heroes and villains, disrupting whatever story is going on in the little titles. That's not going into deaths, characters changing personalities randomly, editorial mandates and whatever else I'm forgetting. Comics are not necessarily failing because of wokeshit, comics are failing, and wokeshit is a desperate attempt to keep the ship afloat for a few more years. Dunno about the TV series, Batwoman seems to be coming after a half a dozen DC TV shows, so audiences probably didn't care as much anymore.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Didn't The Force Awakens basically kill Toys R Us?
Nah.. Toys R Us has been dying for years like most brick and mortar stores.
As part of an acquisition in 2005, Toys R Us was saddled with billions of dollars of debt, predicated on over-optimistic economic projections that were overturned by the recession of 2008. Although the company continued to perform well in itself, the large interest payments from the 2005 debt resulted in an ever-deteriorating financial situation leading inevitably to its demise: How $5 billion of debt caught up with Toys 'R' Us

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny how some people here just want to discredit every sales report of this game. Like, they just can't handle it if this game sold well, they are in denial. Don't worry folks, nothing will change if this game sells well, nobody will take away your prestigous games.

Lambach

Arcane
Like, they just can't handle it if this game sold well, they are in denial.

If it actually had sold really well and knocked it out of the park, we would not be having this discussion in the first place. Does anyone ever dispute the sales of confirmed smash hits put out by the likes of Rockstar Games and such? No, because their sales numbers are not obscured by vague reports and bizarrely specific bragging talking points - everyone and their grandma is fully aware their games sell more copies than the Bible. Not the case for these "2deep4u" exercises in stroking the main developer's microdick that erroneously get labeled as "video-games".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Like, they just can't handle it if this game sold well, they are in denial.

If it actually had sold really well and knocked it out of the park, we would not be having this discussion in the first place. Does anyone ever dispute the sales of confirmed smash hits put out by the likes of Rockstar Games and such? No, because their sales numbers are not obscured by vague reports and bizarrely specific bragging talking points - everyone and their grandma is fully aware their games sell more copies than the Bible. Not the case for these "2deep4u" exercises in stroking the main developer's microdick that erroneously get labeled as "video-games".
Nobody claimed that it sold as many as a GTA title. But it sold well, yet people here are doing mental gimnastics about every sales report. Like not calling this a videogame, just a "video-game".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Define "well". Sold enough to recover the cost of making it + cost of marketing + change? Sure. Sold enough to please the suits into greenlighting further TLoU or similar games? Very unlikely, from what I see.

Is this predicated on the more recent NPD report articles being false or something? Why the hell would they not want to make a sequel to their third highest grossing exclusive ever?

Lambach

Arcane
Is this predicated on the more recent NPD report articles being false or something?

"False" is probably not the right word, I'm sure they've covered their bases and worded it carefully enough so that what they're saying is technically true, even if largely misleading.

Why the hell would they not want to make a sequel to their third highest grossing exclusive ever?

I dunno, maybe because "N-th highest grossing X on platform Y during retrograde Mercury during Lunar period Z.... criteria criteria criteria criteria" does not strike confidence in investors to keep pushing another 200-300 million into the franchise.

And again, those are not my words. Cuckmann himself has outright denied the possibility of any DLCs or sequels in the remotely foreseeable future and only talks about online/multiplayer add-ons/games.

Could he be intentionally misleading people? Could the suits be hiding further plans from him so he's just talking about what he knows? Possible, sure, but you'd think such a spectacular smash hit would have at least something going on for it 2 months post-release instead of just dead silence.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, maybe because "N-th highest grossing X on platform Y during retrograde Mercury during Lunar period Z.... criteria criteria criteria criteria" does not strike confidence in investors to keep pushing another 200-300 million into the franchise.

The last report said pretty flatly "3rd highest grossing Playstation exclusive ever." That's why I linked to it, as that would be a remarkable achievement in 2 months that throws all this wishy-washy hopes and dreams stuff out the window. Now, whether those articles are all accurately summarizing the NPD is something you could question, but they're all doing it very similarly.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Funny how some people here just want to discredit every sales report of this game. Like, they just can't handle it if this game sold well, they are in denial. Don't worry folks, nothing will change if this game sells well, nobody will take away your prestigous games.

If Danube would flow from Romania to Hungary then I would shit in it everyday. Me and a million of gypsies. Stupid SJW warrior.

It's that time of the month.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Sure, you can totally believe without question a class of people that just did dozens of reviews with perfect scores(no game is perfect) and are known to have shady relationships with publishers, sure, they are really trust worthy especially when said people love click bait articles and are harboring a truckload of salt after people questioned their integrity, they are really unbiased. This sort of obscuring, very especific lenguage journos use for Last of Us 2 sales is the same kind of bullshit they pulled with Battlefield , the latest Battlefield sold bellow expectations, but there was no shortage of "Lets roast the haters." articles about "huge sales" coming for journos for months before EA admitted. Lets just say, I only trust raw numbers coming from Sony at this point, not hours played, units shipped or best selling of very especific category I created.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

The last report said pretty flatly "3rd highest grossing Playstation exclusive ever." That's why I linked to it, as that would be a remarkable achievement in 2 months that throws all this wishy-washy hopes and dreams stuff out the window. Now, whether those articles are all accurately summarizing the NPD is something you could question, but they're all doing it very similarly.
I want to know what the number of copies sold are. If it really is the third highest grossing Playstation exclusive, then it should have sold enough copies to put it near GTAV's 20 million. (on the PS4, not all consoles) Uncharted 4 sold 16 million and somehow TLOU2 beat it. Are they fucking over retailers on their share, a massive amount of digital purchases, or actually selling it? Two of those things are not as good as they think it is. Waterworld was the 9th highest grossing film of 1995, and Cleopatra was the highest grossing film of 1963, but neither exactly gave the studio making it much of an actual profit.

Dexter

Arcane
Btw. this is the actual slide:

EfYhjYmUwAEOSpI

Apparently this supposedly means it sold worse in the U.S. than the 2.6 million or 1.9 million Spider-Man and God of War managed in their launch period, but better than God of War 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last of Us or Uncharted 4 that managed to sell around 1-1.1 million copies in their launch period in the U.S. It's still a statement about strong initial Sales made in the release period like those 20 pages ago, says nothing about longevity and seems to be intentionally kind of vague though.

But you can infer things about the drop-off by it being outsold by Paper Mario in July, two weeks after the initial release period, which apparently didn't even make the Top10 of the months leading up to July this year:

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Taking in consideration that we are at the end of generation so the installed base is higher than it was on God of War and way higher than it was on Uncharted 4 days and it is a sequel of a popular game, this thing should, at minimum, be above God of War by the fact of more PS 4s out there alone and the bigger initial sales, if it is behind God of War, the drop off was indeed massive as it sold better than God of War on the first week.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I want to know what the number of copies sold are. If it really is the third highest grossing Playstation exclusive, then it should have sold enough copies to put it near GTAV's 20 million. (on the PS4, not all consoles) Uncharted 4 sold 16 million and somehow TLOU2 beat it. Are they fucking over retailers on their share, a massive amount of digital purchases, or actually selling it? Two of those things are not as good as they think it is. Waterworld was the 9th highest grossing film of 1995, and Cleopatra was the highest grossing film of 1963, but neither exactly gave the studio making it much of an actual profit.

I'm all for being skeptical of our massively shitty media, but the NPD slide above saying "3rd highest lifetime dollar sales in U.S. history" is not wishy-washy in any way. Unless you think NPD is reporting false information, there's really no way to spin that as a poor performance.

Taking in consideration that we are at the end of generation so the installed base is higher than it was on God of War and way higher than it was on Uncharted 4 days and it is a sequel of a popular game, this thing should, at minimum, be above God of War by the fact of more PS 4s out there alone and the bigger initial sales, if it is behind God of War, the drop off was indeed massive as it sold better than God of War on the first week.

God of War came out over 2 years ago and they're comparing lifetime sales. You guys are reaching so far your arms are going to fall out of their sockets. I don't even know why "mass market are idiots and buy dumb shit" is suddenly a controversial take anyway. Even if you see SJW shit as an existential threat to humanity you should be in your Codex comfort zone bitching about how the mass market normies are too dumb to see it.

DeepOcean

Arcane

I'm all for being skeptical of our massively shitty media, but the NPD slide above saying "3rd highest lifetime dollar sales in U.S. history" is not wishy-washy in any way. Unless you think NPD is reporting false information, there's really no way to spin that as a poor performance.

God of War came out over 2 years ago and they're comparing lifetime sales. You guys are reaching so far your arms are going to fall out of their sockets. I don't even know why "mass market are idiots and buy dumb shit" is suddenly a controversial take anyway. Even if you see SJW shit as an existential threat to humanity you should be in your Codex comfort zone bitching about how the mass market normies are too dumb to see it.
Well, Dexter mentioned the launch window sales of both Spider man and God of War, going from the data he mentioned, if the drop off is this massive to make this game have a worse launch window than God of War despite the bigger week one sales, that is a red flag right there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, Dexter mentioned the launch window sales of both Spider man and God of War, going from the data he mentioned, if the drop off is this massive to make this game have a worse launch window than God of War despite the bigger week one sales, that is a red flag right there.

It does not say third-highest launch window sales, it says third-highest of all time. You're assuming the drop off based on Paper Mario comparisons, but we don't know actual number differences. No matter how you spin it the game outsold its predecessor and all but two of Sony's games from all of history in 2 months, compared to years for God of War and numerous sales. I accept the idea that bad reactions impact the "tail" and sequels, not the initial success, but this is beyond that. Batman v Superman crashed and burned in two days, not two months.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I realized sometime after posting that that U4 merely got its total number long after the initial few months, where the dosh per copy would naturally be lower. Probably 30$, 20$ roughly per copy. No, The Last of Us 2 has indeed sold enough copies to be impressive. It's still a giant pop culture force, but its in the category of technical bomb. It'll probably make its cost sometime a few years down the line. Which I guess makes it like any other big budget video game these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom