Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny how some people here just want to discredit every sales report of this game. Like, they just can't handle it if this game sold well, they are in denial. Don't worry folks, nothing will change if this game sells well, nobody will take away your prestigous games.
Sure, you can totally believe without question a class of people that just did dozens of reviews with perfect scores(no game is perfect) and are known to have shady relationships with publishers, sure, they are really trust worthy especially when said people love click bait articles and are harboring a truckload of salt after people questioned their integrity, they are really unbiased. This sort of obscuring, very especific lenguage journos use for Last of Us 2 sales is the same kind of bullshit they pulled with Battlefield , the latest Battlefield sold bellow expectations, but there was no shortage of "Lets roast the haters." articles about "huge sales" coming for journos for months before EA admitted. Lets just say, I only trust raw numbers coming from Sony at this point, not hours played, units shipped or best selling of very especific category I created.
Well tha Playstation game stats page, which reports the individual TLFU2 players are in line with the reports of the media (which reporsts around 6 million), so it doesn't seems there is a discrepancy between the two.

Avarize

Magister
Just as there's no real point arguing with people who think the third best selling Playstation exclusive after 2 months of sales (better than the original game) is a sign of failure
That's not what the article you linked said. Best selling first party game in the United States.

Terenty

Liturgist
Well, Dexter mentioned the launch window sales of both Spider man and God of War, going from the data he mentioned, if the drop off is this massive to make this game have a worse launch window than God of War despite the bigger week one sales, that is a red flag right there.

It does not say third-highest launch window sales, it says third-highest of all time. You're assuming the drop off based on Paper Mario comparisons, but we don't know actual number differences. No matter how you spin it the game outsold its predecessor and all but two of Sony's games from all of history in 2 months, compared to years for God of War and numerous sales. I accept the idea that bad reactions impact the "tail" and sequels, not the initial success, but this is beyond that. Batman v Superman crashed and burned in two days, not two months.
Does it really matter that much that Tlou 2 is third place lifetime sales after God of war in the US, if it has sold less than Gow worldwide after the same amount of time post release?

JDR13

Arcane
It's still a giant pop culture force, but its in the category of technical bomb. It'll probably make its cost sometime a few years down the line. Which I guess makes it like any other big budget video game these days.

It's already made more than double its cost.

vota DC

Augur
It seems many initially bought Last of Us II, but checking for example a Swedish ebay-like site there is tons of Last of Us 2 up for sale, and relativity cheap when it hasn't been out long at all. Looks like Druckmann (like people have been saying) shot himself in the foot with his wokeness. Sales might have been good now, but what about future Last of Us games?

9JOOKFN.jpg

Since the release of the game the PS4 section have been hammered with people selling their copy. That has to mean something.
Druckmann Is terminally ill. Straley did first game and druckmann used to get 90% of sales in first month before console peasants realize the fraud of the sequel.
Third game can't sell because sequel destroyed reputation? That Is ND problem since Druckmann couldn't even voice Manny because his throat Is in worse condition than your average Dunmer.

Terenty

Liturgist
It's still a giant pop culture force, but its in the category of technical bomb. It'll probably make its cost sometime a few years down the line. Which I guess makes it like any other big budget video game these days.

Where do you get these? numbers. Is it a stretch to assume the game cost about 200 mil, development + marketing? I think not. The game sold about 6 mil. They've made less than 400 mil. yet

JDR13

Arcane

Where do you get these? numbers. Is it a stretch to assume the game cost about 200 mil, development + marketing? I think not. The game sold about 6 mil. They've made less than 400 mil. yet

The articles I've read put the estimated cost at around 100M. If you've got information no one else has, feel free to share it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think a Star Wars analogy is appropriate in this case; specifically, look what The Last Jedi did to Rise of Skywalker. Both movies made a lot of money but the audience reaction to the second (and the third) virtually guarantee there will not be any more Star Wars movies like them. They will go down in history as bad movies, as soon as both are far enough away from consumer/critic memory and people can admit they paid money to watch a bad film. TLOU2 was going to make money; the question is, are they leaving on a high note and putting the studio/franchise in a position stronger than when it started? I'm not sure about that. I feel like there will not be a third one.

Terenty

Liturgist
https://screenrant.com/last-us-2-budget-cost-development-production/amp/

This is the only article i found about the budget of tlou 2. It says Gow and Shadow of Tomb Raider cost 100mil. Considering Tlou 2 is a much larger game than both of those, with more motion capture, more assets and more everything its obviously had larger budget. Even the article states the same. And that's not including marketing, which cost crazy amount of many. So yeah, about 200 mil. is close

JDR13

Arcane

This is the only article i found about the budget of tlou 2. It says Gow and Shadow of Tomb Raider cost 100mil. Considering Tlou 2 is a much larger game than both of those, with more motion capture, more assets and more everything its obviously had larger budget. Even the article states the same. And that's not including marketing, which cost crazy amount of many. So yeah, about 200 mil. is close

The article doesn't say anything to indicate that it was near 200M. It even says near 100M or even higher meaning they obviously think it was closer to 100M than 200M. If they thought it was near 200M they would have said that.

Terenty

Liturgist

The article doesn't say anything to indicate that it was near 200M. It even says near 100M or even higher meaning they obviously think it was closer to 100M than 200M. If they thought it was near 200M they would have said that.
They are talking about production alone i.e. salaries for 400 men working for 6 years. Add to this marketing costs i.e. billboards the size of buildings, tv spots, internet ads etc and you are looking at another 100 or so mil.

JDR13

Arcane

They are talking about production alone i.e. salaries for 400 men working for 6 years. Add to this marketing costs i.e. billboards the size of buildings, tv spots, internet ads etc and you are looking at another 100 or so mil.

Nowhere in the article does it say whether or not they're including advertising cost, and even if they're not, it was nowhere near 100M. It wasn't Call of Duty level of marketing.

Terenty

Liturgist

Nowhere in the article does it say whether or not they're including advertising cost, and even if they're not, it was nowhere near 100M. It wasn't Call of Duty level of marketing.
Right there in the article "speculation over how much it cost to develop the Naughty Dog title"

JDR13

Arcane

Right there in the article "speculation over how much it cost to develop the Naughty Dog title"

Yes, and the cost of marketing is often included in such speculation. Even if it's not, 100M for marketing would be a huge reach. It didn't have anywhere near the level of advertising as CoD or GTA V.

Terenty

Liturgist
Yes, and the cost of marketing is often included in such speculation.
Its clear in this particular article they dont include marketing.
Even if it's not, 100M for marketing would be a huge reach. It didn't have anywhere near the level of advertising as CoD or GTA V.
https://screenrant.com/last-of-us-2-train-sony-ad-marketing/amp/
Add to this giant billboards you can google, tv and internet ads. How much more do you want, and why would Sony save money on they biggest game to date?

JDR13

Arcane
Yes, and the cost of marketing is often included in such speculation.
Its clear in this particular article they dont include marketing.

How so?

Even if it's not, 100M for marketing would be a huge reach. It didn't have anywhere near the level of advertising as CoD or GTA V.
https://screenrant.com/last-of-us-2-train-sony-ad-marketing/amp/
Add to this giant billboards you can google, tv and internet ads. How much more do you want, and why would Sony save money on they biggest game to date?

Another speculative article from a site that specializes in movies and tv, but it says nothing about potential marketing costs.

And where do you get that it was their biggst game to date? It wasn't even close to GTA V. Unless you're referring to Sony-owned subsidiaries only, but then you're excluding a lot of other games.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You have to be retarded if you believe the last of us was nearly as expensive a GTA V

Yup, it was defiantly cheaper as it had more time in development and the studio that developed it is located in one of the cheapest places in the world- LA. On the other hand Rockstar North spent less time making GTA V and is in Scotland, so ofc the cost of it is way higher and you have to be retarded to think otherwise duh.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think a Star Wars analogy is appropriate in this case; specifically, look what The Last Jedi did to Rise of Skywalker. Both movies made a lot of money but the audience reaction to the second (and the third) virtually guarantee there will not be any more Star Wars movies like them. They will go down in history as bad movies, as soon as both are far enough away from consumer/critic memory and people can admit they paid money to watch a bad film. TLOU2 was going to make money; the question is, are they leaving on a high note and putting the studio/franchise in a position stronger than when it started? I'm not sure about that. I feel like there will not be a third one.

It is absolutely true that the repercussions of a bad movie entry are usually felt in the next installment. Batman & Robin is maybe the most obvious case of this. However if the game is still selling 2 months later as well as the NPD seems to be saying it is, then I do think that shows word of mouth is not having a negative effect. Maybe once those people play it themselves though... who knows.

Silverfish

Arbiter
However if the game is still selling 2 months later as well as the NPD seems to be saying it is, then I do think that shows word of mouth is not having a negative effect. Maybe once those people play it themselves though... who knows.

Realistically, we won't know the damage, if any, from Abby's Big Adventure until the next Naughty Dog game or until TLoU3. For my part, I hope NG continue to do gangbusters. The content that's spun out of mocking them has made the entire venture worthwhile. Fallout 76 has got nothing on Joel Miller's Putting Challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom