Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Story by Mistwalker

Perkel

Arcane
ibyE8szdXvLqkK.png

The Last Story by Mistwalker on Wii (via Dolphin emu dev 4.63xx version)

This was in my backlog for a long time. I am not really fan of jRPGs or what i call them jaction games with longer story but after Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii which was rather good for jRPGs i decided to go for another japanese emo journey of school kids which scream "i will protect you" "i couldn't protect you" all the time.

Soooo...

STORY&CHARACTERS&EVENTS

Game definitely started not how i expected it. First of all cast of characters are not kids but adults from looks something like 19-33. Only mc seems to be something like 19-20 with mind of 16 year old though it might have been translation problems and VA problem (played english version). Main cast of characters looks more like Final Fantasy XII cast which is more or less mature in their behavior and logic.

Games starts with group of mercenaries who do mercenary work looking for better life for themselves mc and Daram goal is to live better life than mercenaries (which are shunned) and eventually become knights. After last work group stays in bar. MC goes into city which is preparing for royal wedding. MC picks up girl who is running from guards and that is how story starts.
If i can compare story to something it would be FF8. Both games central theme was love story. TLS on other hand i more down to earth in its approach with fairly logical actions for characters. MC IS a whiny shithead at times but his struggle between what is right and his goals in life puts a bit of a spin that may be interesting for some people.
Now for the story itself it would be quite good if not for as per usuall in jRPGs end twist that taste more like faplogic of new designer than proper twist. Up until that point game flows rather good which is a lot considering how many jRPGs lie flat on that point often with hours upon hours of really idiotic characters, events and so on. I think it might be because game is fairly short. When credits rolled on my screen i had something like 21 hours which is kind of crazy considering how much other jRPGs usually take something from 40 to 100 hours (mostly padding and grinding).
I didn't do any grinding through whole game and i felt like i explored most of content. Too short ? Imo no. Game would be worse if they would pad what they had there. It simply fit game narrative and content.

Well that looks good right ? Partially. Game would be a lot better if they would have someone to point out that probably saying 10 times "I can't protect anybody" is not such a good idea. Several times events didn't make sense like for example character knowing how to operate or find hidden doors like they always known from day they were born that there is hidden door in XYZ place.
Some character actions felt flat through story and what is worse some of them were complete cliches or cartoon villains.
I always wonder in those situations... Does they make this stuff on purpose to target 13 years old pokemon starved kid or they simply don't have any idea how some of that stuff is bad.

Generally point is that game story, characters and events are good but they are simply dragged down by clishes and imo lack of maturity.

For example one of main antagonist characters in game is Count which you need to work with and eventually become his knight. His reasons and behavior IS logical and fairly well presented. But as you may already figured it out he goes into jRPG clishe by end of that character story arc along with "HAHAHAHAA". Now if they would just follow on his presentation as clinical logical type of character he could be one of amazing characters in jrpgs.

PRESENTATION

For a Wii game game looks fairly well which is something like PS2 era game with some funky better FX here and there. Character design is good. Main city is a bit drab looking but fairly expensive for jRPG (though 90% game happens in that city).
Game doesn't feature a lot of places to visit and one of those you replay like 3-4 times. I think there are like 10-15 different places/maps you can fight on.

Some picks from game:

jbrRkop8dHJlQd.png

jWeQUgbdrterT.png

j3ZJBI1YltN9g.png

Music is kind of mediacore which is surprising because it is Umeatsu work. I think it simply comes to choice of orchestral instruments as all tracks just look like generic tracks from some other games you heard of somewhere.

Still there are few interesting tracks like those but i think those are the only ones that are worth something:

Or battle theme:

GAMEPLAY&COMBAT&LOOT

Games isn't TB it is action based combat system comparable to Xenoblade chronicles. Game divides characters into (without saying that) on mages and malee. Only you character has crossbow.
Generally idea is that this is mix of tactical/RPS/dumb combat. Game does give you intensive to look for tactical play but there isn't really any stick beside few events where frontal assault is not an option.

As for combat design. Designers did a good job to make most of combat fresh after 20h. I mean in most of jRPGs you have literally same things spammed without any plan to fight but here there is some design behind it so for example you have 3 bruttes that will steamroll you so you need to backstab them at the same time they are almost immortal if you don't take support mages.
Those mixes of different stuff gives this "fresh" feeling from combat encounters. Bosses also usually have one or two more way to deal with them from using environment like detroying walls/bridges etc to simply different weapon set and so on.
Combat encounter design is definitely a plus. Especially later stages of game with bosses which some have interesting patterns and fun to handle. So combat is definitely better than for example Xenoblade Chronicles which was based on basically streanght*time instead of tactic and weird resolutions here.

Adding to that there are few concepts here at play.

Basic gameplay is just guard, dodge, attack and movement
Gust is other concept. When characters cast spells they make pool of their respective element which standing in it gives for example fire attack. By using Gust which is something like Dash attack you can destroy those pools and by destroying them it gives you something. For example if you destroy Shining pool it gives party barrier aura which absorbs damage for short time. Fire based pool gives Armor break, ice = knockdown , leaf = silence on enemies and so on. This works also for enemies so if enemy casts some pool you can use Gust to cancel it.
Then there is crossbow which mainly is for handling mages and using environment
Then there is command. After you fill up blue bar you can give command to each character. So for example one boss needs to be hit with some element to be hit by attacks. In that mode you can execute special attacks and each character has it's own special attack which works like Limit Break in FF9 with same bar to fill up.

Loot system is also fairly interesting. Mainly because of weapons system. LVL of character is most important to character damage so designers made almost every weapon uniquee in its own way. Also they are all upgradable so by the end of game you will have stack of different weapon with fairly small pool of shit weapons. I often used in end game weapon from start of game.
This is mainly because most of weapons have abilities like % to insta kill or 30% chance to heal 20% of life on guard, 80% faster casting, 70% less guard damage, Ogres can't block your attack, 20% to paralyze&30% chance for lighting strike.
Basically aside from few items there is no shit loot in this game which is surprising for jRPG game and imo has the best loot from all jRPGs i played.

Armors on other hand are sparse but they work more like type of armor than armors as loot. There are like few unique armors. So for example my MC never changed his heavy armor just upgraded it.

So gameplay is imo good if you like action based combat system. It should be good because game is like 70% of combat.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Last Story is a good short to medium length (21hplaytime) jRPG game.
It is combat heavy game but it does combat well for a jrpg, has interesting weapon system, interesting journey with more mature characters than your usually animu cast and good story that lies flat under typical JRPG problems.

Bonus points for playable epilogue (which is something like 1-1,5h)

EXPERIENCE FROM EMU VERSION:

You need latest dev versions of Dolphin to play it with good framerate. I have i53470 3,4Ghz cpu and for 95% of game i had proper framerate and no glitches. So if you have good CPU you should give it a spin.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I played it a long time ago and I liked it, but at times emulation was horrible as fuck and I dropped it when I had to fight some boss and some new popamole attack was discovered which worked like once in 10 times because wiimote controls rarely translate into mouse and keyboard controls without some buttsex.

Also IIRC story sucked donkey balls most of the time. "I DONT WANT TO BE ALONE IM SO TIRED WAAH MOMMY SAVE ME" almost ruined for me.

Overall, the only reason I liked it is because "Final Fantasy meets Gears of War" gameplay was better than it sounds, wouldn't mind to see more similar games.

thexsa

Educated
Game was super weird imo in that it was pretty easy, with some fights dipping into medium difficulty, and then the last boss just comes and fucking murders you.

Also the lack of secret bosses/fights/arena was weird for this type of game. Not counting those weird sigil-things were you could summon enemies.

One of the better jRPG's lately though.

Perkel

Arcane
I own this for my (wife's) Wii - but I never played it.

Where can I get the ROM?

emuparadise or piratebay if you want to play it on emulator for better resolution.
Though if you have actually Wii then play it on Wii. Better resolution isn't that much difference here like in Xenoblade Chronicles case.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Action shit

Non portable consoles are dead

Bad taste everywhere

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
The game was somewhat interesting until you unlock the slam dunk move, then it becomes an activate Tank and Aggro mode-> Get close to a Wall-> run up the wall and slam dunk on their faces-> rinse and repeat.

The banana xbow bolt was a neat idea and so were some sections where you have enemy archers and mages on ledges and mixed infantly and a miniboss on the ground.
Also sticky cover ftw.

5/10 if only because keeping some bosses off your mages is kinda fun.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Just got around to starting this, 11 hours in and amazed at how unique battle system is for a JRPG. I will admit it is janky as can be due to budget / hardware limits.

The combat has so me intrigued, it feels like you are playing as a fighter in Baldur's Gate D&D party, except in a 3d action gears of war style combat engine. Battlefields are chaotic and feel like a real battle, really in a party.
Is there any game that comes close to a more refined version of this combat?

Side missions feel like they are out of D&D Campaigns (Just finished the tavern mission with kidnapped children)

Tactics do matter, do you get behind the tanks and get to the archers/ wizards in the back? Snipe the archers up on the cliffs? use the environment to crash down on the troops? Full frontal assault? try to sneak around the back?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom