Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Rean is offensively crap

cruel

Cipher
Trails through Daybreak demo available now on PS4 / PS5 and Switch.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Cold Steel 2 is the best Cold Steel game hands down, followed by 4.
Where should I start the saga?

If you are interested in the Trails of Cold Steel games then start at CS1. Do not listen to the people who say that you have to do 400 hours of homeworking playing through other games you are not interested in before you can finally start the game you were interested in the first place. Each individual Trails arc is about its own characters and gives you the information you need to understand its own plot. Do not play the series in order in the hope that there will be a satisfying payoff for the overarching storylines. There isn't any. You should instead individual Trails games/arcs for their own appeal. If the fantasy Prussia setting and magitek mecha and airships and nobles in cravats who practice anime swordsmanship sounds cool to you, then that is what you should play.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
The satisfying payoff and overarching storylines are almost entirely based on character development, character recognition, and the relationships between said characters. Just because you haven't gotten your "big villain reveal" and whatever climax that you think should have happened that constitutes good storytelling in your eyes doesn't mean that satisfying overarching stories aren't happening. They're happening constantly throughout the series.

But yeah, start wherever you want. It is overall much more satisfying having started from Trails in the Sky FC, but it's not 100% necessary to understand the world and whatever is going on in a particular arc. It's just way more satisfying overall. The only things that dragged me through Cold Steel 1 were the gameplay, the built up curiosity about what the Erebonian Empire I kept hearing about through the Sky and Crossbell games was actually like, and seeing and hearing about characters I recognized from earlier games. And I'm glad I had those things to get me past the highschool bullshit, because I ended up liking a lot of the new characters by the end and it led me to the great enjoyment of CS 2, 4, and Reverie. If I had started with CS1 as my first game, I might have dropped the series and never looked back.

n0wh3r3

Educated
Cold Steel 2 is the best Cold Steel game hands down, followed by 4.
Where should I start the saga?

If you are interested in the Trails of Cold Steel games then start at CS1. Do not listen to the people who say that you have to do 400 hours of homeworking playing through other games you are not interested in before you can finally start the game you were interested in the first place. Each individual Trails arc is about its own characters and gives you the information you need to understand its own plot. Do not play the series in order in the hope that there will be a satisfying payoff for the overarching storylines. There isn't any. You should instead individual Trails games/arcs for their own appeal. If the fantasy Prussia setting and magitek mecha and airships and nobles in cravats who practice anime swordsmanship sounds cool to you, then that is what you should play.
The satisfying payoff and overarching storylines are almost entirely based on character development, character recognition, and the relationships between said characters. Just because you haven't gotten your "big villain reveal" and whatever climax that you think should have happened that constitutes good storytelling in your eyes doesn't mean that satisfying overarching stories aren't happening. They're happening constantly throughout the series.

But yeah, start wherever you want. It is overall much more satisfying having started from Trails in the Sky FC, but it's not 100% necessary to understand the world and whatever is going on in a particular arc. It's just way more satisfying overall. The only things that dragged me through Cold Steel 1 were the gameplay, the built up curiosity about what the Erebonian Empire I kept hearing about through the Sky and Crossbell games was actually like, and seeing and hearing about characters I recognized from earlier games. And I'm glad I had those things to get me past the highschool bullshit, because I ended up liking a lot of the new characters by the end and it led me to the great enjoyment of CS 2, 4, and Reverie. If I had started with CS1 as my first game, I might have dropped the series and never looked back.
So isn't Trails through Daybreak playable as a standalone title?

I would even start with Trails in the Sky but it's better for me not to play games on Steam or on PC at all (besides emulation, maybe) because for some reason that only makes me end up in endlessly increasing my backlog and library. So I have decided to only play games on my Nintendo Switch and see where this ends. But there I think the earliest you can start with the series is from Trails from Zero.

You can play Kuro no Kiseki without prior knowledge, it's just that the game itself isn't very good compared to Cold Steel or Sky. It's 110 hours long but nothing really happens until 70 hours in, and the cast is just as bland as Zero's, and the combat and character building never becomes challenging even on the highest difficulty. That being said I would still rate Kuro higher than Crossbell as it doesn't make any utterly infuriating story decisions and it looks nicer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom