Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Repressed Homosexual
The mouse controls are weird.

Man the "materia gem crafting" system is annoying and convoluted, I can't even get past the tutorial in the gem shop or whatever it is and I've tried for 30 minutes.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Invictus , this is not a port- the original version was on the PC. The localized version was simply released for the PSP. What they did here is take the original PC version, apply the PSP translation (fix some typos on the way) and backport the extra features the PSP got.

Suicidal , it's an RPG made by Falcom, devs of the Ys series. Shitloads of world building, comfy setting, interesting characters, and a metric fuckton of sidequests.
You play as 2 "bracers" (basically.. benevolent mercenaries) who go on a big adventure. The setting takes place in a world that went thru an 'orbal revolution'. Basically, 'crystals power up anything, from lights, to weapons, to sky ships'.
Combat is pretty interesting too. You can see enemies on the field, no random battles.
And the combat itself is an interesting mix of SRPG and traditional JRPG combat.
There's a big focus on initiative manipulation. Basically, there are all sorts of ways you can 'steal' your enemies turn, and get bonuses based on how you do it. Hard to explain, but fun to play.

Humanity has risen! , don't be dumb, man. You can get used to it pronto.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's good that it is making some money on the pc... this more or less guarantees translation of the rest. Well, i'm not 'super' excited, game got a bit silly at the end there, and it has a PG 'romance' very prominent there.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah I didn't know that Jack Dandy, thanks for the heads up
After watching a very interesting video at Super Bunnyhop on Japanese Indies I learned that while the consoles rule there (especialy the handhelds) there is a small niche market for indies and while they might never be huge sellers the relatively cheap cost of translationg and adapting their games to be distributed online only by Steam or GOG is a fantastic prospect for the future. I daresay that they must have gotten back all investments for this new improved version the very first day; beign the top seller in Steam and GOG must mean at least 10,000 sales easily

Sinatar

Arbiter
The mouse controls are weird.

Man the "materia gem crafting" system is annoying and convoluted, I can't even get past the tutorial in the gem shop or whatever it is and I've tried for 30 minutes.

I was stuck there for a bit as well because I am apparently terrible at reading. You need to socket both an attack and a healing gem. So give Joshua his time gem since you have no choice there and give Estelle a blue one for the healing spell.

Suicidal

Arcane
Suicidal , it's an RPG made by Falcom, devs of the Ys series. Shitloads of world building, comfy setting, interesting characters, and a metric fuckton of sidequests.
You play as 2 "bracers" (basically.. benevolent mercenaries) who go on a big adventure. The setting takes place in a world that went thru an 'orbal revolution'. Basically, 'crystals power up anything, from lights, to weapons, to sky ships'.
Combat is pretty interesting too. You can see enemies on the field, no random battles.
And the combat itself is an interesting mix of SRPG and traditional JRPG combat.
There's a big focus on initiative manipulation. Basically, there are all sorts of ways you can 'steal' your enemies turn, and get bonuses based on how you do it. Hard to explain, but fun to play.

Sounds interesting, will try it at some point. Also your description of combat reminds me a lot of Divinity OS.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Got the Steam version. Wow, it really looks great on the PC; has mouse support, even. Gonna replay it once SC gets a definite release date.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Got the Steam version. Wow, it really looks great on the PC; has mouse support, even. Gonna replay it once SC gets a definite release date.

Are we playing the same game? It looks absolutely horrible in 1080p, like some emulated psx game, even at lower resolutions its only looking half decent thanks to horrendous character sprites/models.

And a question to someone who played this more then initial 2h, does this game gets any better? I can hardly stomach this low profile story with main character being a 16y old fucktard with cheese dialog lines, and lets not talk about generic as fuck enemies and quests...

Cromwell

Arcane
Even your avatar is edgy. Story gets better, it takes a whle to pick up. But as far as I know the whole Game is only something like the prologue of the whole story.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Not trying to be edgy or anything, but i read some rave reviews about this one, and even here it was hyped up, but from my initial impressions its hardly even mediocre game.

Now that i think of are there any JRPG's for mature gamer, 0 kids/teens involved, darkg/goth story ???

Cromwell

Arcane
Not trying to be edgy or anything, but i read some rave reviews about this one, and even here it was hyped up, but from my initial impressions its hardly even mediocre game.

Now that i think of are there any JRPG's for mature gamer, 0 kids/teens involved, darkg/goth story ???

Thats a matter of taste, I found the story as far as I have played) ok I would also say its rather unepic, but from what ive heard it picks up after a while. But I didnt find the story that bad and the characters rather charming most of the time, but I have a high tolerance for stuff others find cringeworthy.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Thats a matter of taste, I found the story as far as I have played) ok I would also say its rather unepic, but from what ive heard it picks up after a while. But I didnt find the story that bad and the characters rather charming most of the time, but I have a high tolerance for stuff others find cringeworthy.

Olivier Lenheim's one of the greatest companions ever alongside Kanji Tatsumi and Siegfried of Denesle.

Story is indeed pretty unepic for the most part(a good thing imo), It's akin to Witcher 1 where the main objective (going after stolen witcher goods/looking for MC's father) becomes background noise while you're out exploring the world and going through various sub-plots. It also has a Witcher 1/2 act/hub structure with bracer jobs filling in for witcher contracts.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated

Er, there are so many... FFT, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, Drakengard come to mind. I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten.

Played all expect Drakengard, Xenogears being the best of them all till you get to disc 2, then all goes downhill from there, and btw Fei is 18y old, i said no TEENS !

Valkyrie Profile had that kind of game world i actually like, dark, cataclysmic, even the characters were nicely flashed out and interesting, but the gameplay was super weak, tedious and boring...

I tried Vagrant Story for some reason i just couldnt get into it, dunno why, all hailed combat as revolutional, i on the other hand found it boring...

And when i say Dark , i mean like Berserk (manga) dark, nasty shit dark world...

TigerKnee

Arcane
So, I have limited knowledge over this game. Is it something that I should include in the book?
The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom?

Frankly I would kind of say no, mostly because it's part 1 out of at least 2 parts of a story. It would be like just including Digital Devil Saga 1.

Repressed Homosexual
I set it to the basic 640 x 480 on my laptop because I found that at high resolutions the game doesn't look good and it gets hard to see things. Sometimes getting a game to run at a much higher resolution than it was initially made for doesn't make it look better, and this is another example of it.

What I don't understand though, is why some of the background elements like trees and wood fences, are all pale blue. Even with the latest patch.

Sinatar

Arbiter
I set it to the basic 640 x 480 on my laptop because I found that at high resolutions the game doesn't look good and it gets hard to see things. Sometimes getting a game to run at a much higher resolution than it was initially made for doesn't make it look better, and this is another example of it.

What I don't understand though, is why some of the background elements like trees and wood fences, are all pale blue. Even with the latest patch.

Turn off Hardware Vertex Shading in the config file to fix that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Been playing this game. It's a fun game. The combat has some cool stuff and not so cool stuff. The writing can be entertaining even if it is really really simple. The main female character ranges from annoying to amusing. She also is very very crazy. The male main character is rather boring thoigh hopefully the 'secret tm' will chnage that.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated

spekkio

Arcane
^
Yeah, and PST belongs to the horror genre, since first two party members are an undead and a talking skull.

:roll:

SMT3 is not a jRPG, btw, it's a dungeon crawler.

Malpercio

Arcane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Nocturne
SMT in General

In Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, the player takes on the role of a YOUNG BOY who is caught up in the apocalypse while visiting his sick teacher, Yuko Takao, with his two CLASSMATES, bla bla...

5 minutes into the game, the apocalypse gets triggered and you turn into a demon. Also the two classmates turns into demons. Her, the female one is pretty much different from most female characters in jRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom