Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Magic Candle

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm about to start this game. Despites its rather juvenile and Adventure Game sounding title it looks quite complex and deep, and looks like it can rival Wasteland and Ultima V. The fixed amount of random encounters and a combat system that is a faster and more exciting than Ultima's, are also pluses in my book.

Anyway, any general tips before starting?
Any bugs I should be aware of? Any skills that are totally useless?

Is having a party with all races represented a good idea? Or will I miss something by not including a halfling, for example?

Is the Carpentry skill worth having for the comfy camping?

How exactly does the Metalsmith skill work? Will only metalsmiths be able to repair weapons, and will they automaticall repair the weapons of the whole party, just the party members in the same camp or just their own weapons?

How does transfering characters to MC 2 work? I understand some of the characters you can recruit in MC 1 make a re-appearance in MC 2?

Ammar

Scholar
Eh, how spoilery do you want it? The professions like Gemcutting, Metalsmithing, Tailoring,... are mostly good for making money. Everyone can fix weapons and I had never problems sleepings (after buying blankets). I would spend the first 100 days or so just making money in Port Avur with Tailoring, Gemcutting and Metalsmithing (those shops are present in Port Avur). That means taking Min, Dalin, Alhan and the two wizards.

Make certain you are well equipped with Sermins, Gonshis, Blankets, Ropes, a Lens... Nifts help too.

I usually then try to train Learning with my main hero and my two wizards (I always take Eflun and Ziyx). Then I max Charisma with my main hero in the halfling village, so I can get all info from the NPCs. Switch Min for Sakar. Then I pick up Ishban spellbooks in Lymeric to get the teleport spell, travel to Crystal Castle and switch out all Chars but Ziyx, Sakar and Eflun (CC chars are better in every regard, you could profit from changing the Sakra and the Wizards too, but I like them and Eflun and Sakar are in MC2 and their stats and inven carry over).

Then I visit the nearby dwaven village and get everyone Mithril Armor. Only then do I start the main quest... Don't worry if you lose about 200-300 days for this, you still have plenty of time.

For carrying over to MC2 Lupi is also a good choice. If you want to get to see which chars reappear just look at the MC 2 manual, which should be available online.

Morkar Left

Races determine only the maxlevel of an attribute/skill. Elves give +5 damage with bows. Dwarveas are getting tired with Energylvl 25, humans at 20, elves and wizards at 15 and halflings at 12. Halflings are good to have because they have high charisma (only one needed). Of course you can train charisma later with anybody and Rexor has cabable cha for a start, too. Plus some deeds give you a local cha bonus.

Smithes can fix everybody's equipment, but only one at a time.
For carpenters I think they allow you to raise the energycap more by resting in the wilderness. Naturally you can gain only 50 Energy max while camping, with blankets 75 and a carpenter allows +25, I think. Plus they can earn money.
Gemcutters gives you better prices and allow you to earn money.

Just use a good combination of companions. There is no wrong choice. Just try to have at least one wizard and some tank obviously. A good idea is to hire companions who can earn you money and travel to port avur and let them work there for a week or two while you are around in the city or the castle getting clues. Alternatively you can let your wizard(s) rest in the castle and let them learn spells.

Prepare yourself for a long game because you will do a lot of clue-hunting and writing notes. Organize yourself in categories like towns, teleportals, people, gods, dungeons. MC1 is less like U5 than it is like U4 on steroids. And read the manual and you NEED the map.

For importing your chars; keep in mind that not all npcs will available for you to include in your party. Some have other things to do in the sequel. For a hint which npcs you can transfer to your party in MC2 look into gamelists from ssjlee9 on gamesfaq and search for STARTING STATISTICS (the whole document has a lot of spoilers otherwise).
Andrew Schultz walkthrough on gamesfaq is good, too. You can read till 5.1 without having spoilers in it (or just very minor spoilers).

EDIT: I forgot; on this wonderful website you can get all original cluebooks from mindcraft which I found nowhere before: http://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=mc1

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I decided on the following party:
Sakar
Miko
Nehor
Eflun
Ziyx

I like how the game tries to be "realistic" and with a world that feels alive and dynamic.

I don't mind it being like "U4 on steroids" as long as there is not the tedious combat of U4. The conversation system could have been better, though. It's a bit cumbersome to have to re-initiate conversation after each successful conversation.

But overall this game has made a favourable impression on me so far.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
If you find mushroom patch, don't take all mushrooms, leave two or three for replenishing.
Always have 5-10 teleport shapes (cubes, spheres and so on), pick, shovel, blankets, gonshis for tough battles and shitton of sermins.

Nukester

Novice
Loved this game. I actually liked it better than the Ultimas of the time. I still have the binder with all of my notes sitting right here beside me

Ammar

Scholar
Buying gems from dwarves on the road is also a good way to make some easy cash.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
One of those great games from the golden age of gaming. You know, where experimentation and innovation weren't hollow pr talk. Should be in everyone's list of must play rpg's.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Great game so far. I like the fact that you can split your party and have one guy earning money, while others train and learn spells. A bit hard to judge when training will be finished, though.

It looks like mages can wear any armour in this game. Are there any penalties for mages (or others) wearing heavy armour?

Morkar Left

Nope, feel free to give Ganda.. uh Ziyx a platemail. And Drelins are always useful for speeding up traveling with the old man.

An excellent game. Unfortunately, I have yet to play the PC version and thus have never had the pleasure of taking my characters into the sequel. I won't give you any advice, as experimentation is enjoyable in this game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finally found that damned Temple of Valon after trudging around half the map and exploring the entire mines of Dermagud before finally finding the exit.
Then I enter the Temple and I need a bloody lens to read the prayers?!?

Fortunately I had bought one. :smug:

But boy does this game require planning. You need food, lots of magic mushrooms, arrows, ropes, shovel and lens. Forget just one thing and you will be punished. But I guess it's child's play compared to the Realms of Arcania games. A friend of mine was on the verge of crying when he complained about the micro-management in that game.

Morkar Left

octavius said:
But boy does this game require planning. You need food, lots of magic mushrooms, arrows, ropes, shovel and lens. Forget just one thing and you will be punished. But I guess it's child's play compared to the Realms of Arcania games. A friend of mine was on the verge of crying when he complained about the micro-management in that game.

Yeah, the game is all about getting information and careful planning. That is it what makes it outstanding for me. But it can be pretty annoying or punishing if you don't pay attention to all information given to you or if you are just randomly running around in hopes to find something cool.

RoA is not more micro-management. Basically it's on the same level. Just think about real life; if you are in a cold region you need warm clothes. Camping equipment is helpful. For your weapons it's good to have something to clean and sharpen them etc. Once you have the equipment it's not a big deal.

Morkar said:
octavius said:

Yeah, the game is all about getting information and careful planning. That is it what makes it outstanding for me. But it can be pretty annoying or punishing if you don't pay attention to all information given to you or if you are just randomly running around in hopes to find something cool.

RoA is not more micro-management. Basically it's on the same level. Just think about real life; if you are in a cold region you need warm clothes. Camping equipment is helpful. For your weapons it's good to have something to clean and sharpen them etc. Once you have the equipment it's not a big deal.

Well said. In Magic Candle, each 'adventure' needs to be thought through before you head off. Gaining Thorins Hammer was one such time...find out where it was; who will take you there; what clothing/equipment would be best; how many supplies of various types you should take; whether there are any gods present and what the waking word for them is...how to get the hammer....and whose door to knock on to get the info ;)

A great game, and one that I will have to replay again soon. A question; what are the sounds like for the PC version? They are quite good on the C64 version, but it would be nice to continue on with the same characters for the sequels...

While I am here, I will also give a plug for Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale, another Magic Candlesque RPG that seems to have dropped under the radar. Seriously, give it a run through.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/bloodston ... arven-tale

Morkar Left

Blackadder said:
A great game, and one that I will have to replay again soon. A question; what are the sounds like for the PC version? They are quite good on the C64 version, but it would be nice to continue on with the same characters for the sequels...

If an occasional random bleep for some actions fullfills your criteria for sound than well, it has exactly that ;)
I have sound turned completely off and play either in silence or let a compilation of fantasy soundtracks run in the background.

Blackadder said:
While I am here, I will also give a plug for Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale, another Magic Candlesque RPG that seems to have dropped under the radar. Seriously, give it a run through.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/bloodston ... arven-tale

People usually consider it better than MC 2 and 3. I can't share the opinion but it is in no way weaker. And it is focused on dwarves. If someone is looking for a pure dwarven epic tale this is the rpg for him. The game takes place on the same world as MC too and is considered a prequel. But comparing the map with the lands of MC (or siege and ambush at sorinor) I couldn't find similarities.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, I read the Zirvanad and went back to Belezar. Next mission is to find the Green Ring, and "elves may have this knowledge".

As I see it I have two choices:

1. Take a ship to Point Hena, brave the Gambede Pass (I have a feeling this will be easier said than done), visit Merg for general info and Theldair for possible info on the Green Ring.

2. Follow up Bestul's rumour that "Many Teleportal combinations can be learned in Shiran." by teleporting from Sudogur to Darvale. Then get general info at Knessos, use Teleport spell to get to the Tower of Tkahass on the Wizard's Isle and try to get the Blue Ring from the wizard there, and to seek the elven maid in Seldarad. I think the elven maid is not relevant to this, though, and that she is just the sister of the other elven maid I found on Phendy.

So I think I'm supposed to do option 1 first, but does it matter? I'm asking because I hate it when a game gives the impression of being open ended and I end up on a wild goose chase instead of doing what I was "supposed to do".

Ammar

Scholar
After the Zirvanad you can chase the components listed in any order you like. If you want you can just get a captain to sail you around the pass. I'd suggest that you should probably go after missing spell books and mitrhil armor first, but the beauty is that one can really play Magic Candle in many ways.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Fowyr said:
Now try making your way into Crystal Castle.

Only now did I notice that Yberton and Uberion are two different places. I could have teleportaled to Yberton near Crystal Castle from Dermagud much earlier in the game. :x

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You can find very interesting village to the south from Crystal Castle.

Quick question; Since I have never ported my characters into MC2 before, can anyone here outline the differences to the main character, companions, etc?

Ammar

Scholar
Blackadder said:
Quick question; Since I have never ported my characters into MC2 before, can anyone here outline the differences to the main character, companions, etc?

Well, the short story is : it's an huge advantage. The main chars stats will be considerably higher compared to a new character. You will also get to keep most items (weapons, armor, mushrooms, not sure about spellbooks). Gems will also carry over, but they will be reduced in number.

Same things happens to your companions, so your old friends will be stronger than usual. They are still in their usual MC 2 locations. Those chars you never picked up and improved will probably be weaker, though. They also keep some of their items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom