Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Magic Circle, a puzzle exploration game set inside vapourware

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PRETENTIOUS editorial at Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._development_demons_with_The_Magic_Circle.php

Excerpt:

All of this contributes to the overall feeling that The Magic Circle is something chaotic--messy in the right way, but still messy. It’s expressive from both sides, with the player exerting their creativity on the broken puzzles that Question has created, and Question itself pouring all its frustration and development bugbears into the game world so that they can finally be aired, instead of confined to conference rooms and whiteboards.

“The demons in The Magic Circle are manifestations of ourselves, more or less.” Shin explains to me. “Some of those demons will remain trapped in the game while we move on with our lives. Others will probably follow us into future endeavors in case we come across new demons that only the old ones can kill.”

Thomas sees it slightly differently. “Perhaps because of the singular purpose that a lot of young game developers feel, the conversations between extreme points of view during the development of a game can verge on caricature," he explains. "The poles of that axis are often about the primacy of Story vs Play. And near-violent conflict can emerge between people who think Games should be one or the other, and nothing else. Ish Gilder, the fictional writer and project director, is definitely an exaggerated and crystallized embodiment of the resent over players and player behavior that I had as a narratively-biased game dev, coming up.

“Great people in games writing struggle legitimately with the limitations of the medium, and when they critique player narcissism, sometimes they have a point," Thomas continues. "Ish articulates a little of that, so he’s not entirely cartoonish. But there are also a lot of hacks who use the low, or childish reputation games have among writing circles, as an excuse for their own shortcomings. The frustrated screenwriter who wrings his hands every time the player sabotages some brittle scripted moment they slaved over. Constantly threatening to quit the industry. As a demon, perhaps the most ironic punishment I can devise for him is to trap him in a video game, to watch the player seize control from him, over and over, ad infinitum.”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GameSpot preview: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-magic-circle-early-access-review/1100-6427659/

Equally rewarding is the riddle at the game’s heart. Early on, you’ll spot a character stranded on a distant platform to the east of the map. Key to your revenge plot is casting your spell on this character, and while at first this seems impossible, the creations and ideas you encounter across the rest of the game will eventually give you enough tools and ideas to fashion your own solution. (There are, by the way, at least two possible ways to solve this final puzzle). Not since Portal 2 has a game so expertly taken you on that emotional journey from pure bamboozlement to sharp, bright, blissful clarity.

That’s not to say The Magic Circle is as accomplished as Valve’s flagship puzzle game in other key aspects. Cut-scenes eventually become rather tedious, and the dark comedy isn’t as sharp as it needed to be. It also would have benefited from a basic command tutorial--as far as three-quarters into the game, I was unaware that there was a jump button.

The overarching story, in particular, is disappointing. Clearly there is a challenge in portraying Gilder and his team, due to their existence in a physical world outside of the game. But the proposed solution--collectable audio tapes and virtual in-game avatars of floating illuminati eyes--falls short. As does the script, which is too preoccupied with uninteresting double-crosses, petty office politics, and flabby monologues. Don’t be surprised if you fail to connect with any single character by the time the credits roll; their motivations are too vague, their redeeming qualities unknown.

The same shouldn’t be said for the unnamed island itself, which is bursting with character and imagination. Unforgettably bizarre and abstract structures dominate the landscape, giving the unnamed island a mystifying, dream-like quality. Clouds of ink float across the sky, as though they were ideas that never landed, while towering space-station facilities dominate the skyline with purposely appalling jaggies (there is no anti-aliasing in developer hell).

The game's '90s sci-fi levels, found underground, are beautifully observed.

Perhaps the most imaginative idea of all can be found through the burrow holes that are dotted across the wasteland. These underground pathways lead you to the original sci-fi build of the game, as though Gilder and his team had buried it like a dark secret. It’s the little details of this space station that impress the most; the lo-fi synth melodies, the modest beeps and bloops to save audio memory, the PlayStation-era texture mapping--it is all so legitimately ‘90s.

One cannot avoid the irony here: The Magic Circle is an interactive metaphor for development hell--a fairground mirror-image of a game project that has not been cared for. Yet it is also a more interesting place to visit than many of the spotless, by-the-book examples of sci-fi and fantasy games which it apes. For all The Magic Circle’s other shortcomings, such a unique quality makes it a worthy consideration.

That's a System Shock 1 homage not "Playstation-era" dammit

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
RELEASE DATE JULY 9!

That's basically it.

We will be transitioning to the full release on July 9th. Thanks to everyone who has been a part of the Early Access period, the game is immeasurably better as a result. Oh, and if you're watching this space but don't own the game yet, July 9th also marks the release of our free demo version!

In the meantime, enjoy some pre-release fun over at http://www.magiccirclegame.com

Pricing Changes

In preparation for our launch on this Thursday the 9th, we are changing the pricing for the game. Going forward the deluxe edition (the early access version with soundtrack) will be $24.99 US, and the base edition will be $19.99.

EDIT: Valve came through - Base Edition is now available. However!

There will be launch discounts, so you might want to wait until Thursday to purchase to take advantage of those.

Thanks!

Heh, it's like a fake Kickstarter page now: http://www.magiccirclegame.com/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Released: http://store.steampowered.com/app/323380/

LAUNCH!! We are officially out and there is a FREE DEMO!

If you get the demo, your progress will be preserved in the main game when you purchase it.

Many thanks to all the amazing players who contributed to early access! We cannot begin to express how much it has meant to have such a dedicated group of people helping us to make the game better for everyone.

Seeing you enjoy the game has been crucial for our morale and motivation and now we are out!

If you enjoyed the game, we appreciate any help getting the word out so people know about us. We're pretty sure there are a lot of people who would enjoy The Magic Circle who have never heard of it, and we want them to have the chance.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The RPS preview may have been negative, but the review seems more nuanced: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/10/the-magic-circle-review/

There's a lingering question over whether the game's self-analysis is accessible enough to anyone who doesn't have an interest in, or even knowledge of, how games get made. I think it will be a tough nut for some to crack, to be honest. I think it tries to say too many things at once, sometimes with a jerky pacing which makes the game seem to skip ahead before messages and meanings have had a chance to sink it. It's short, and I can see why - to extend its many ideas over many hours would be frighteningly expensive, but potentially fatiguing to play too - but The Magic Circle would surely have benefited from more breathing space.

Its capable and charismatic voice cast turn in exaggerated, almost pantomime performances at times too, and I wasn't sure if this was down to a determination to be a comic game rather than a navel-gazing one, or a fear of deeply offending former colleagues and fans should the pompous voices of The Magic Circle's unseen designers seem that much more real-world. It's good for quips for sure, but the consequence of this broad characterisation was that I didn't sympathise with anyone. No-one seems plausibly human, and stereotype kept creeping in.

There is, of course, a strong chance that even this is intentional. There's much to deconstruct here, and there definitely will be nuances I've missed, but some of that is because TMC feels a little awkward. It oscillates wildly between browbeating you with its concerns at sometimes excessive length and merely alluding to greater truths about the developer/game/player relationship.

In any case, whether or not its commentary achieves what was intended, the core of The Magic Circle is wildly inventive and impossible to second-guess. Even if it does sell itself a little short with its frequent switching, perhaps this is a far better than resting on laurels, turning its big ideas into mere repetition. There's much to be said for not outstaying its welcome, and for understanding that almost any time we've been promised something revolutionary, the reality invariably becomes routine after a short while.

The Magic Circle has a very clear understanding of how games can be laid low, especially when high-minded ambition rather than practicality is in charge, but whether because of budgetary limitations or because it's too determined to convey its message first and foremost, it seems to then make some of those same mistakes. I want to say that it's bitten off a bit more than it can chew, but given that its very nature is discussing how games can bite off more than they can chew, I can't be sure that this isn't deliberate either.

That it successfully pulls off big ideas while ostensibly criticising the danger of big ideas is perhaps a better way to end, and a better reflection of the admiration and fondness I feel for The Magic Circle despite its shortcomings. Or are they?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-21-the-magic-circle-review

The Magic Circle review
Will the circle be unbroken?

jpg

A caustic, often-prickly satire on contemporary game making, with an ingenious core mechanic that is, perhaps, yet to be fully explored.

Pity the QA testers who worked on The Magic Circle, a game in which you assume the role of an intern tester, trying to break a broken game that's still many moons from release. If the experience didn't trigger something of an existential crisis for them, it surely provided a lasting headache. As you roam its scratchy environments you find that assets and animations are missing, quests are unfinished, and many of the enemies you encounter are rendered in placeholder art. It can't have been easy for the game's real testers to differentiate glitch-by-design from glitch-by-error.

They would, however, have drawn some comfort from their portrayal in the game. In The Magic Circle, the playtester is depicted as the noble and courageous foot soldier in the bloody battle that is contemporary game development: hard-working, intrepid, indispensable. The generals, however - those project leads, art directors and producers - don't come off so lightly. The snarky development notes left around the game environment in which, for example, a game designer points out to an artist that players never look up (so any effort spent rendering exquisite ceilings is time wasted) ring uncomfortably true. And Ishmael Gilder, the game's grandstanding director, is closer to an employment tribunal than a release date for his troubled folly. He treats his staff with appalling contempt. You need only look at their Twitter accounts to see how bad thing have become.

jpg

It's possible to assemble your growing menagerie of creatures by dropping a marker, around which they'll congregate - a technique that's necessary to solve a number of puzzles.

The Magic Circle is a trip to development hell, then. You enter an unfinished game whose development team have run out of both money and, seemingly, resolve. It's a game about game development, but not in the style of Game Dev Story, for example, which is a more straightforward examination of the business. This is, by contrast, a kind of live autopsy on a game project that's gone bad. Ten years in the making, and built upon the shifting sands of PC technology, it's become a tonal mess: what started out as a science fiction game, set in an abandoned space station, has morphed into a fantasy adventure, complete with wizards, zombies, rats and robots. Likewise, what starts out as a straightforward QA job, in which you must hunt game bugs, soon becomes more of an archaeological endeavour, as you try to understand the game's gestation, and diagnose where things went wrong.

The game's mechanical conceit - and it's a good one - is the ability to re-code the behaviour of any creature (and some objects) that you encounter. You might, for example, trap a hostile zombie and re-programme its AI to view you as a friend rather than an enemy. You can then teach it to view other specific creatures as its foes. You can specify how the zombie travels (ground or air) and even remove all of its physical abilities, so it simply lies on the ground in a listless heap, unable to move or attack. All of this is achieved, not by programming proper, but by simply changing parameters in a drop-down menu list of attributes. You can strip-mine attributes, and apply them to different objects to make, for example, a fireproof rat or a hovering rock. Or you can simply turn every enemy you meet into a member of your entourage, trailing behind you, covering your back.

Your own character cannot use these abilities, so much of the game's puzzle design involves reprogramming creatures and objects to help you pass obstacles such as missing platforms or towers of fire. Most video games give the player unimaginable power, but it's always subordinate to that of the designer, who sits, like a creator god, outside of the game's reality, stage-managing the show. The Magic Circle redefines the relationship somewhat, by offering you an approximation of the coder's power, able to redefine the world and its contents to suit your need or whim.

jpg

In one early joke you reach a gate that requires four keys to unlock. The adjoining quests to find these keys are incomplete so keys merely spawn at your feet.

You can never quite lose yourself to the tinkering, however. From the game's opening moments you must listen to the developers, represented as floating eyeballs, as they quarrel overhead about whether or not the player should always wield a sword, or what colour the sky should be painted. Their bickering presence and the strained, if well delivered, dialogue lends a sharp edge to the game's tone. (They're even referred to as 'sky bastards'.) The script is filled with caustic jokes about crowd funding, design clichés, the entitlement of game fans and the creative and organisational frustrations of working for a large studio. In this era of Kickstarter projects, and games that never emerge from development hell, most players will be able to engage with the subject matter in some way. But it is, unavoidably, inside baseball stuff.

The Magic Circle has clearly been something of a therapeutic endeavour for its real world creators, who previously worked on blockbuster titles such as BioShock and Dishonored. The story may be exaggerated, but this is a game in which the tang of bitter experience lingers. It feels truthful, then. But it also feels particular. Most of us sympathise with the fraught experience of working for an unreasonable boss, or of working on a wayward project that's being led by people with competing and conflicting visions. But the targets of The Magic Circle's ire and satire are often too specific to be universal. This is a game written for people who have worked in a particular kind of game development. It's hard to applaud the jokes when it's unclear where the lines between reality and exaggeration lie - and this is a story whose shoots grow from lived experience. Far easier to applaud the game's core gameplay invention, which enlivens The Magic Circle at its heart, and a piece of design that, unlike Ishmael Gilder, will surely find a life beyond its game.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, has anyone actually played this and is it any good?

I have. It's an adventure-puzzle game, essentially, in which you find yourself inside an unfinished LGS-style RPG without the "RP" or "G" parts and have to re-construct it from point zero by hacking into the objects and creatures that you encounter and restoring cut content. I'm in the middle of writing up my longer thoughts on the game since I found it pretty interesting -- not as a game though, but as a commentary on the industry from a surprisingly old-fashioned Looking Glass-inspired standpoint. TMC's target audience is basically fellow developers or people interested in an LGS-inspired take on the industry's history (the 80s, the 90s, the present day -- it's all there).

As a game, I think it ultimately fails, even if it does so in a much more interesting way than all these "walking simulators" / games you can't fail at these days. The 2nd and 3rd "acts" are just outright mediocre/bad as anything other than a gimmick, but the first "act" is good, with nice exploration and some genuinely fun (and funny parts). Some of the first act's creative puzzle solutions and optional objectives (that are never telegraphed as such) are pretty good, too. However, it's also fairly short (no more than 6 hours long even if you're a completionist).

Most importantly, again, it is a meta-game, an interactive commentary, not a "game" game. It's basically "hey, we see all these industry trends like 'notgames', walking simulators, linear corridor exploration, pointless collectibles, handholding, quest markers, unreasonable fan demands, crazy egomaniac developers (one of the main antagonists is Lord British meets Peter Molyneux), etc., so how about we make a game that sort of follows these trends but actually subverts and ridicules them?" It's also extremely pessimistic, I think, despite the seemingly positive ending, since part of its message seems to be that truly free-form, creative, "emergent gameplay"-based games of the sort that LGS paved the way for are just impossible (anymore?).

tl;dr I sympathize with what the game is trying to do and tell, and it can be fun at times, but it's also short and only targeted at people interested in this kind of commentary on the industry.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why/how are the second and third acts bad?

They are extremely short, do away with all the gameplay and exploration from the first act, and have you either go through the already familiar motions in an extremely small and linear sequence (act 2) or construct a short dungeon crawler game of your own with extremely limited tools, which then gets "reviewed" by fictive game press (act 3). Act 3 especially is bad, I thought. Not just because it is so rushed and limited, but also because it either a) gets too meta or b) runs contrary to the entire point of the first two acts, depending on how you interpret it (in which case it reads either as a commentary on instant gratification and the ineptness of game journalism or as triumphalist pandering to the industry that got lambasted in acts 1 and 2). If it really is the former, though, then it's poorly written and poorly communicated.

Part of the reason I think it's poor as commentary, is that it also has Old Pro and Coda, both fairly complicated characters from the first two acts, act in a manner that's really dumb and, imo, inconsistent with who they are (saying more would be too spoilery).

Importantly, though, if act 1 is fairly fun gameplay-wise, acts 2 and 3 are not. In my opinion, the game would've been better if it just ended at the end of Act 1 (or Act 2 at most).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most importantly, again, it is a meta-game, an interactive commentary, not a "game" game. It's basically "hey, we see all these industry trends like 'notgames', walking simulators, linear corridor exploration, pointless collectibles, handholding, quest markers, unreasonable fan demands, crazy egomaniac developers (one of the main antagonists is Lord British meets Peter Molyneux), etc., so how about we make a game that sort of follows these trends but actually subverts and ridicules them?
The great irony is in their 'critique' they went ahead and put another shit 'notgame'/walking simulator/puzzler/2deep4u turd on the market.

Also Ashley Burch.

Crooked Bee

Patron
It's not a notgame, though, nor a walking simulator. It only makes use of the notgame register when you're starting out in order to ridicule it and have you reconstruct a proper game out of that from the inside. Following the LGS design philosophy, it is you, the player, who takes the given tools and constructs the gameplay from them.

Not a puzzler either. What I called puzzles are more of ways to overcome exploration obstacles as you naturally explore the world, and they are rarely telegraphed as puzzles. Which is the contrary of what puzzlers do. You see a tough monster or a chasm you cannot cross, which means you should get back later with more or better tools. You see a tool? You can use it anywhere.

2deep4u? Well, if making fun of quest markers or fan or developer megalomania is too deep for you, there's nothing I can do about that.

It is a game. It might be a turd, but not for the reason you mentioned. The reason why I said it ultimately fails as a game, for me, is because a) it's not a "standalone" game, but too much a commentary in the form of a game, b) it's too short and fails to realize the full potential of its gameplay (which is, however, there), and c) the ending sequence is a let-down. That is not to say it doesn't feature heavy notgame elements, it does, and for a purpose. But the core gameplay proper is there, too. Like I mentioned, this game is very old-fashioned actually. It's just that it's sort of mediocre as a game.

P.S. Had to google Ashley Burch. Thank you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Crooked Bee http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-indie-game-unsuccess-story-the-magic-circle-feature

The Indie Game Unsuccess Story: How the Creators of The Magic Circle Survived Their Own Gaming Nightmare
When two developers behind BioShock set off to pave their own path, things didn't go as hoped.

The conventional indie game developer success story goes something like this.

After growing disillusioned in the overly-corporate mainstream, a group of designers and artists take a risk and set up their own studio. Idealistic and humble, the group are finally able to make the game they've always wanted to make, a game that just so happens to resonate with an increasingly sophisticated and artistically aware video game audience. The developers make their money back and then some, win awards for “narrative,” and start to plan a second game—a game that’s going to be even more honest this time. Reassured that low-budget, personal, and idiosyncratic titles can be successful, an entire culture also gets to feel like video games, at last, are getting better by the power of their sheer creative worth. We all agree the independent video game scene is destined to succeed.

As former BioShock developers, Jordan Thomas and Stephen Alexander are familiar with unconventional video game stories. For over six years—first at 2K Boston, later at Irrational Games—they helped redefine what big-budget games could do, invigorating the famously crude shooter genre with horror, tragedy, and political intrigue. Before taking on directorial duties for BioShock 2, Thomas co-designed the original's epochal Fort Frolic level. From sea-water cascading through Rapture’s corridors to neon lighting effects and scary set-pieces, like the appearance of the first ever Splicer, Alexander’s art and visual work had helped set BioShock’s tone. But in 2013, they left mainstream game development to found their creative partnership, Question; like the series that had introduced them to one another, their first independent game was set to examine and test gaming's boundaries.

Called The Magic Circle, the game took place inside an unfinished, eponymous fantasy RPG. Directed by an old software bug that had become sentient and gone rogue, players were led to excavate, edit, and ultimately destroy The Magic Circle from within, indicting its creators and their volatile fanbase in the process. It was smart, personal, and unflinching, but contrary to indie game myth, The Magic Circle would not become a hit.

"We thought we were striking while the iron was hot," Thomas says. "What we didn't realise was that the indie wave was about to break."

In summer 2013, after finalising the original concept for The Magic Circle, Alexander and Thomas moved into Question's new headquarters, a house in San Francisco owned by Alexander's parents. The studio had two priorities: cultivate the game's art style and plan its narrative. Work began in earnest. However, given The Magic Circle had to look like an unfinished game with very little colour, basic graphics, and even some missing textures, Alexander started to worry if its pre-release screenshots would be understood as intentional or misinterpreted as genuine. It was possible the game's "sloppy" appearance could put potential buyers off.

On the contrary, sloppiness and roughness were at The Magic Circle’s center. Commercial risk or not, the game had to look a certain way.

"After three BioShocks," says Thomas. "I remember feeling intensely frustrated, both with that 'self-serious' style of games and the various corporate strata that had been bearing down on us. I felt like game development had the same elephant in every room; [that] this is a video game and nothing we’re making here makes sense once you compare it to anyone's real experience. We were constantly making excuses, for example, for the fact [that] our protagonists couldn't talk. The self-serious tone is really set against games' own nature. So with The Magic Circle, I wanted to make something that was more at ease with its own rough edges."

"Making a game like this without any concern at all for its commercial value, after so many years in triple-A, that was very therapeutic. But talk about lack of self-awareness. We were sort of living The Magic Circle ourselves, just in terms of ignoring any blind spots."

To fund The Magic Circle, Thomas and Alexander turned to family, partners and wives: the game lived, as Thomas puts it, by "spousal grace." The duo also hired a third veteran developer. Dishonored gameplay programmer Kain Shin, whom Thomas had first met in the early 2000s, replaced and perfected The Magic Circle's fragile internal systems—most specifically its central mechanic, whereby players could mix, match, and edit in-game assets as if they were designers themselves.

Towards the end of 2013, The Magic Circle had a solid, technical foundation. Its writing and story, however, were subject to a sudden change of direction. What was once a pure comedy in the mock 'making-of' style of Spinal Tap and Swimming with Sharks quickly became much darker.

"After GamerGate started, my attitude towards games and gamers was really put through a mixer," says Thomas. "I tried to put my feelings together again, on the other side, but they'd changed. Everything was changing."

"The role of Coda Soliz, the fan who gets a job on the game-within-the-game and in her mind is going to save it from its own creators, her role darkened a lot. Essentially, this whole wave of pollutants had come to the surface of gaming culture. My friends were getting death threats, and it meant I couldn't see game fans as true innocents any more. In hindsight, this might have made it difficult for people to find any character in The Magic Circle with whom it was easy to sympathise. But I couldn’t unsee all this, even if I wanted to."

Nervous about how The Magic Circle and its burlesque of the gaming industry would eventually be regarded, Thomas and Alexander maintained a degree of allegory. As well as games, gamemakers, and game fans, they discussed narcissism and obsession generally, and tried to find more universal truths. But some of their own experiences made it into the game practically unveiled. The Magic Circle, in Alexander’s words, got "meaner." Through in-game text logs and email exchanges, the pressures of working on a big, modern video game were given voice.

"The in-game conversations between the art and design departments," Alexander continues, "There's only a very thin filter between what’s written there and my own experiences. The nature of that, a team of people who end up fighting just because they care so much, I wanted to represent honestly. Needling the industry, game developers and ourselves, that was always the guiding star. And we basically ignored the idea of making something commercial. But all that stuff, outside forces plus our own desire to make something intensely personal, worked against our chances of big financial success."

In May 2015, when The Magic Circle went into Steam Early Access, all concerns about its commercial appeal came tangibly to bear. Back when the game was originally conceived, indie darlings like Gone Home and Papers, Please had seemed to suggest short, contrarian, and risqué games could make a lot of money. Two years later, something had changed. Critical responses, either from users or the press, were largely enthusiastic; it wasn't like The Magic Circle was shoddily-made, or prohibitively, unprecedentedly niche. Nevertheless, its initial run yielded sales below Question's modest expectations.

"We'd seen big Early Access successes," Alexander says, "But we only sold about 1000 copies. We stayed hopeful, kept making the game better. And the people who'd actually played it were amazing. Talking to them was a wonderful experience, gave me a lot of faith in at least a subset of gamers. But financially, yes, it was an early warning."

The Magic Circle was featured on Steam’s new releases page and briefly listed as a "Top Seller," but its initial numbers quickly tailed off. Whether it was the screenshots pre-release, which Alexander had worried would make the game look unremarkable; the writing, that Thomas knew would be an acquired taste; or something more vaporous, some trend either settling or emerging, it became suddenly clear The Magic Circle was not going to make the money Question had expected.

Certainly, the world awaiting a newly-released, independent game looked much different in 2015 than when Question was originally formed. According to SteamSpy, throughout 2013, 565 new games were published on Steam. In sharp, borderline intimidating contrast, 2969 new games were released on the same platform in 2015. Essentially, within two years, the competition The Magic Circle faced for gamers’ money had increased almost five-fold. At the same time—and in the wake of titles like The Stanley Parable, Game Dev Tycoon, The Writer Will Do Something, Goat Simulator and, ironically, BioShock: Infinite—critical discourse on the absurdity and nature of videogame development had already been picked clean. The Magic Circle found a few rave reviews—and from big publications—but generally it was scored 7s or 8s, which in the arguably skewed language of video game recommendations was not enough to qualify it as a "must buy." At least enough to damage The Magic Circle’s commercial appeal, it seemed like, in the years between its conception and release, tastes had changed.

By 2015, The Magic Circle’s overarching insight that making games is a difficult and convoluted process involving much compromise, perhaps felt less urgent or incisive as it once could have. And in the culture post-GamerGate, it's quite easy to imagine the audience for games feeling one of two things: either that games have let them down and they needed something more uplifting than The Magic Circle's at-times-uncomfortable satire, or that the notion that gaming is fraught, ambiguous, and perhaps ultimately unsatisfying is self-evident, and hardly worth $20.

Today, however, Thomas and Alexander may only speculate as to what factor or combination of factors altered or damaged The Magic Circle’s sales potential.

"People have come to me and said, 'The market screwed you,'" says Thomas. "But we'll never know for certain. What I do know, however [is that] the culture of sales defines Steam. Buying a game at full price, from the perspective of a gamer, that's for suckers. If it's not multiplayer or a show-piece for your latest graphics card, then why buy when it comes out? Gamers' tastes have shifted pretty radically towards experiences that are 'meaning machines.’ Whether because of procedurally-generated or massively-multiplayer games, gamers today hold fire on anything that offers less perceived value per dollar. Obviously, I fiercely disagree with that. If a game can sort of touch my soul in some way in a few hours, I'm so grateful to it. But that's not the guiding principle for a lot of people buying games. Almost all the negative user reviews of The Magic Circle mention length as part of the reason they're not satisfied, so everybody coming to our page reads 'wait for a sale. You can get this for less.' There’s just no incentive to buy on release."

An unfathomable market, fickle players, the battle of attrition to get some thought, some feeling, some substantive point out into the world of games, The Magic Circle had fallen victim to the very things it had attempted to satirise. As if to drive the irony home—to complete the set of developers, fans, and critics being made to look foolish—evangelical reviews at major publications barely affected The Magic Circle's sales. Perhaps in a realer way than was intended, Question had exposed games' raw, difficult-to-look-at underbelly.

"I'm not trying to start any fights," Thomas says, "But the truth is, on the days when a major publication published a glowing review of our game, and we had a few, we barely saw a sales spike. Meanwhile, Jim Sterling published a video of the first ten minutes and we got the biggest sales jump we ever saw."

"Compared to a lot of other games we had a lot of coverage," continues Alexander. "Those articles though, they would come and go within a day, and the people reading them were probably already enthusiasts. Then again, we share the blame. What we chose to make was not an easy sell."

The commercial response to The Magic Circle meant Question had to examine, and in some cases drastically alter, its creative direction. To try and drum up more revenue, a console port of the game became an urgent priority, though this itself invited problems. "The version of Unity we'd used to make it for PC wasn't supported on PS4 and Xbox One," says Alexander. "I had to do a lot of work."

The studio also started to think about its next game not just in terms of what it was going to say or what it would express, but financial viability. Thomas and Alexander had paid off their debts and earned enough to keep Question just about open, just about, but if they wanted to carry on making video games, their next title needed to be more broadly, instantly appealing.

There is a conventional indie developer success story, but it's probably less accurate than it is reassuring. After growing up with parents, peers, and the mainstream press telling us our favorite hobby video games was silly and for losers, it's emboldening to feel able to say, "Actually, games are becoming more artistic." More broadly speaking, it's heartwarming to see that when people quit their jobs to follow their dreams, it all works out; given the world we live in, it's nice to believe that real, artistic energy can simply prevail.

Reality, of course, is more convoluted. Some independent developers make millions. Others do pretty well, break even, or go broke. Video game culture doesn't make straightforward progress toward higher art and things don't unambiguously "get better." No single article, paragraph, or tweet can comprehensively surmise modern video games. There is no all encompassing success story.

Testament to that nuance, Question, despite its tribulations with The Magic Circle, has managed to sign to a publisher, hire two new designers—David Pittman, creator of Neon Struct, and Michael Kelly, formerly of Hangar 13 and 2K—and start work on their next project, an unannounced and still shrouded-in-mystery cooperative horror game. The Magic Circle might have faltered commercially and kept them awake some nights, but Thomas' and Alexander's debut collaboration also provided some answers. Considering why it was made, to clarify conflicts, elucidate disappointments, and to make it clear that no video game story is straightforward, The Magic Circle, by its own misfortunes, could be considered a resounding success.

"We made enough not to be truly embarrassed of the work," says Thomas. "We didn't leave a complete crater. On the other hand, we realised we had indulged ourselves first. A lot of studios make something commercial then indulge themselves later. I've thought many times: could we have done something else? But I feel like, since my youth, I’ve sacrificed myself over and over to this God of Video Games, and a lot of that is represented in The Magic Circle. So I like to think we've cleared triple-A, and with a healed heart."

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Testament to that nuance, Question, despite its tribulations with The Magic Circle, has managed to sign to a publisher, hire two new designers—David Pittman, creator of Neon Struct, and Michael Kelly, formerly of Hangar 13 and 2K—and start work on their next project, an unannounced and still shrouded-in-mystery cooperative horror game.

They also hired a gameplay programmer of Dishonored:

ds

Cipher
Patron
Got around to playing this today and liked it well enough despite some cringy parts. It is definitely a short game - took me just over four hours and I wasn't in a rush to get to the end. I don't think the game should have been longer though, at least not without significantly more complex mechanics than get function from "boss" N to use to defeat "boss" N+1 in the most obvious way possible.

2023-12-29-201333.jpg

2023-12-29-202402.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom