Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

racofer

Thread Incliner
As far as I'm concerned, if you think DA1 is an amazing game and GOTY material, it's the first game you've ever played. Whilst getting sucked by a hooker. As another hooker sticks her tongue up your ass. And a third one lets you eat her ass. And a fourth one is actually doing all the playing.

This sounds hot. Joining BSN momentarily.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
CrustyBot said:
Mass Effect 3's ending is RACIST!

The one common element in all the endings is that you will meet an entity known as the "Catalyst". Set aside all of the other plot holes and minor complaints, and focus on the Catalyst for now.

This is the entity that created the Reapers. This is the entity that is directly responsible for the genocide of multiple sentient races over tens of thousands of years. It is his fault that Earth, Palaven, Thessia, and the Galaxy is burning.

The Catalyst is in fact a war criminal on a scale worse than any of our own real-world tyrants. Hitler's gas chambers, Genghis Khan's campaigns of extermination, and Tamerlene's pyramid of skulls is nothing compared to what the Reapers have done. That it tries to disguise itself as a young child does nothing to exonerate it of the magnitude of its crimes - it's actually sickening. It's like Hitler having plastic surgery to look like an innocent child.

Even worse, this is an entity that attempts to justify its genocidal actions - in a way that is bluntly little different from the real world genocide of the Jews.

It uses euphemisms to describe mass murder. It uses the term "Chaos" to describe people, as though they are a problem and not living, breathing, beings. It calls its actions a "Solution", just as the certain people called the Holocaust their "Final Solution". It even goes as far as calling the the liquification of corpses into Reaper components as "Ascension", no different from how the Concentration Camps collected the hair and skin of the dead victims to use as furniture components.

Even worse, the premise of the Catalyst is fundamentally a racist premise. It boils down to "Organics and Synthetics are so different that they will always end up destroying each other". Really? You are now judged by your component parts - metal or protein - instead of the content of your character? How offensive would it be in real life to hear someone say you should be judged by the color of your skin?

To top it all off, the player is not allowed to question its actions. It must stand idly by and accept its justifications. You are not allowed to tell it that is wrong. Mac Walters and Casey Hudson actually thought this was a good thing too
[Perception] Bioware fights the good fight against the Multi Cult and Biodrones

In ME3, over 80% of the cutscenes (and by cutscenes I mean the pre-rendered ones along with the in-game acshun scenes) are not skippable, even in the so called Action Mode, which makes coming back to the game for simply popping some moles an annoyance.
Modders will fix it. There was something similar in ME1(IIRC the developers disabled skipping the "normandy anchoring/departing" cutscenes)

it's even inferior to CoD, the very game they wanted to achieve similar gameplay and pacing, because it fails at being an action game.
:hmmm:

hIJOe.png

cFTNv.jpg

more like space emperor extreme amirite
And the review you all have been waiting for:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/03/mass-effect-3-angry-review-2/

Let me sum it up the structure of the review: rage - bioware licking - rage and despite all the negatives, a good score.

Typical Stockholm syndrome.
More like typical fear of losing monies

Bruticis

LOL, this is my favorite so far:

I filed an FTC complaint Against EA. After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims. This thread has a great compilation of their claims: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886 Clearly, none fo these were represented in the ending. If anyone else wishes to file a complaint (the more there are the more likely the FTC will take action) just go to FTC.gov and fill out a complaint form in the Consumer Protection section. Here's EA HQ's address and phone number: 209 Redwood Shores Parkway Redwood City, CA 94065 (650) 628-1500 This is not somethign I was happy to do, but after the terrible ending that was in no way the product that had been advertised to me and the lack of any kind of response from Bioware/EA to address this, I felt it was one of my only recourses. I'll be returning my copy of the game before the end of my 30 day return policy if the ending still hasn't been addressed by then.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Seems to me the Penny Arcade guys are trying to defend Bioware here.
They are, and have gone on record with incredibly stupid arguments in defense of it. Tycho pretty clearly does not understand what 'denouement' actually means.

What do you expect? The dude just pulls synonyms from the thesaurus to make his writing look more sophisticated. There's nothing especially objectionable about Gabe aside from being a little dim, but Tycho is a fucking moron who's convinced he's a genius, and that kind of personality just drives me up the wall.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Exactly the game and politics I expect from nowadays Bioware - a spark of hope and a lot of effort from smallish writers (Garrus going redneck, Wrexes grin, Mordin's sacrifice... admit it, they are true bros), lead up by a complete and utter betrayal.
But I raged on DA2 when it came out, so my lexicon of cries and threats is as empty as my wallet after a good party with my friends.
Ending is shit. Much of the game is shitty too. Can't add anything new to 224 pages. Meyh.

Malpercio

Arcane

Holy fuck, just when you think this couldn't possibly get more awesome, the next page comes up and you are like "whoa".

-Not using the world elements to its fullest extent. Hell, Javik tells you about that time he had to kill off his crew because they were indoctrinated. Might have been a nice element for the Sheps as well. A few scenes where your ship gets sabotaged and you have to whodunnit to figure out who is the perpetrator. Should allow you to pick the wrong one as well, so you can end up a paranoid madman killing most of their companions.

Fuck yeah, it would have been awesome. :incline: I thought about something similar when you storm into Cerberus base, something like "IDI gets hacked and you are forced to make some hard choices or something like that".

Probably too many C&C for Bioware.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...owed/I-filed-an-FTC-complaint-10065503-1.html
Against EA. After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims. This thread has a great compilation of their claims:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886

Clearly, none fo these were represented in the ending. If anyone else wishes to file a complaint (the more there are the more likely the FTC will take action) just go to FTC.gov and fill out a complaint form in the Consumer Protection section. Here's EA HQ's address and phone number:
209 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065
(650) 628-1500

This is not somethign I was happy to do, but after the terrible ending that was in no way the product that had been advertised to me and the lack of any kind of response from Bioware/EA to address this, I felt it was one of my only recourses. I'll be returning my copy of the game before the end of my 30 day return policy if the ending still hasn't been addressed by then.

UPDATE: Filed a Better Business Bureau complaint as well. They can be found at BBB.org. The BBB will at the very least notify EA of any complaints they recieve, so every complaint filed is something that EA will hear about.

DISCLAIMER: Before you start debating how dumb I am, let me be clear. THIS IS NOT A LAWSUIT. THIS IS NOT SERIOUS LEGAL ACTION. This is a complaint about EA/Bioware's advertising, filed with the the organizations that handle false advertising in the U.S. As EA is the publisher, they were the appropriate people to complain about. If you don't think that exercising one of the few, civil, legal ways available to hold a company accountable is stupid or immature, that's fine. If somehow (space magic?) they actually decided to do something other than send EA an email about it, there would be a miniscule fine, that's it. There is no way that this could "tear bioware apart" or anything of the sort. If you still think I need to be called stupid or immature, then post away.
qr6Bt.gif

Angthoron

Arcane
LOL, this is my favorite so far:

I filed an FTC complaint Against EA. After reading through the list of promises about the ending of the game they made in their advertising campaign and PR interviews, it was clear that the product we got did not live up to any of those claims. This thread has a great compilation of their claims: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886 Clearly, none fo these were represented in the ending. If anyone else wishes to file a complaint (the more there are the more likely the FTC will take action) just go to FTC.gov and fill out a complaint form in the Consumer Protection section. Here's EA HQ's address and phone number: 209 Redwood Shores Parkway Redwood City, CA 94065 (650) 628-1500 This is not somethign I was happy to do, but after the terrible ending that was in no way the product that had been advertised to me and the lack of any kind of response from Bioware/EA to address this, I felt it was one of my only recourses. I'll be returning my copy of the game before the end of my 30 day return policy if the ending still hasn't been addressed by then.

Our Codexian bruthas that have bought that stuff and are from thereabouts should join in.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

not sure what you're saying here
I mean do you consider cinema to not be entertainment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Game_quality
EA had also received criticism for developing games that lack innovation vis-à-vis the number of gaming titles produced under the EA brand that show a history of yearly updates, particularly in their sporting franchises. These typically retail as new games at full market price and feature only updated team rosters in addition to incremental changes to game mechanics, the user interface, and graphics. One critique compared EA to companies like Ubisoft and concluded that EA's innovation in new and old IPs "Crawls along at a snail's pace,"while even the company's own CEO, John Riccitiello, acknowledged the lack of innovation seen in the industry generally, saying, "We're boring people to death and making games that are harder and harder to play. For the most part, the industry has been rinse-and-repeat. There's been lots of product that looked like last year's product, that looked a lot like the year before." EA has announced that it is turning its attention to creating new game IPs in order to stem this trend, with recently acquired and critically acclaimed studios BioWare and Pandemic would be contributing to this process.

Yes. New studios mean new things, which means innovation. As we have seen in hindsight.

Malpercio

Arcane

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-fran...ers/electronic-arts-in-san-francisco-ca-64196

Additional Information

BBB file opened: 08/01/1985Business started: 01/01/1982
Contact Information

Primary Contact: Ms. Renee Odunaiya (Sr. Manager)Mr. John Riccitiello (Chairman & CEO)Mr. Michael Lawder (WW Cust. Experience, VP)
Number of Employees

Business Category

Video Games - Wholesale & Manufacturers
Products & Services

This company offers interactive entertainment software.
Alternate Business Names

Club Pogo, Playfish, Inc, EA Games, Pogo.com

Products & Services

This company offers interactive entertainment software.

interactive entertainment software.

interactive

entertainment

:hmmm:

Well, i'm definitely entertained by all this.

Deleted member 7219

Wow I had no idea the drama went up a level because of the release of the Final Hours app. Now it looks like the entire community is past boiling point. They're really pissed off.

Of course it means fuck all, EA/Bioware have the money. Things will only change if people actually boycott the next game Bioware put out.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Seems to me the Penny Arcade guys are trying to defend Bioware here.

They obviously are. PA love the moneys EA throws at them in the form of exclusives and advertizement, why would they not defend the peple that fund their gilded underwear?

It's still hilarious though, because I could totally see BiowEAr go with either of the two comics solutions and the biodrones eat it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom