Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Megaman thread

Hell Swarm

Learned
Does Megaman X command mission open up after the first hour? I know it's PS2 but the start is all hallways with side rooms and I was hoping for a little more freedom

Ryan muller

Educated
Does Megaman X command mission open up after the first hour? I know it's PS2 but the start is all hallways with side rooms and I was hoping for a little more freedom
Oof good luck. The game has awful pacing, dont expect to be a lot less linear than what it is

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Man, Megaman X games on the SNES were so fucking good. It's criminal that they let the series decline so hard and it hasn't even been properly aped by anyone since.

Haven't played many of the NES ones, but we had 2 as a kid. One of the most poorly balanced games ever for sure; Metal Saw is the weakness for like half the bosses, tons of spots where the time stop power is just way too good, and a bunch of other powers that are basically utter crap. Also, that one fucking bullshit fortress boss that requires crash bombs and softlocks you if you miss more than a couple shots or die after firing a few times. What a fucking dick punch.

Also, Megaman Legends is a hidden gem. Lots of fun easter eggs, and just generally a cool open world dungeon crawler with novel gameplay. Real shame it didn't take off; I'd play the crap out of more of that.

Are there any really good fangames out there? I've been waiting for Corrupted to come out for like a decade now, but surely there's got to be something decent out there that got finished?

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
x> x2 > x4 > x3 >>>>>>>>>>>>x5> x6 , all except x5 and x6 are great games

I never played x7 or x8, they looked like shit.

7>2>4>5>3>9>10>6>1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8> mm&b , I like all those games except 8, mega man and bass is too hard

I have a soft spot for 7 and really like the music and sprites, also grew up on snes, not nes so I'm not objective on that one.

Combined rankings ->

x> x2 > x4> 7 >2>4>5>x3 >3>9>10>6>1 >>>>>>>>>>>> 8> x5> x6 > mm & b

Last edited:

Ryan muller

Educated
MM2 has an easy mode. Is it still the easiest game when played on normal mode? I don't remember.

6 is the easiest one even if comparing standard normal to easy, 5 is not far behind it as those games are far too kind when it comes to e tanks and giving you health

Funny, I always thought 6 was harder than 2/4/5 and of course 8.
it may be harder than 5, arguably

4 is definiitvely harder than 6 and so is 8

Ryan muller

Educated
x> x2 > x4 > x3 >>>>>>>>>>>>x5> x6 , all except x5 and x6 are great games

I never played x7 or x8, they looked like shit.

7>2>4>5>3>9>10>6>1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8> mm&b , I like all those games except 8, mega man and bass is too hard

I have a soft spot for 7 and really like the music and sprites, also grew up on snes, not nes so I'm not objective on that one.

Combined rankings ->

x> x2 > x4> 7 >2>4>5>x3 >3>9>10>6>1 >>>>>>>>>>>> 8> x5> x6 > mm & b
good taste btw, i only would disagree in positioning X4 over 7, but i digress, only X games i actively enjoyed were X1 and 2

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
MM2 has an easy mode. Is it still the easiest game when played on normal mode? I don't remember.

6 is the easiest one even if comparing standard normal to easy, 5 is not far behind it as those games are far too kind when it comes to e tanks and giving you health

Funny, I always thought 6 was harder than 2/4/5 and of course 8.
it may be harder than 5, arguably

4 is definiitvely harder than 6 and so is 8

If I had to rank the mm games for difficulty. From easiest to hardest

x4
8 <- except for the jump jump slide slide bullshit
x2
mm5
x
mm7 <- stages only
mm2
x3
mm4
mm6
x5
mm10
mm3
mm9
7 <- wily only, hardest end boss in the series IMO
x6
1 <- I can't beat the yellow blob monster without cheating
mm &b <- which is my cap for difficulty, almost unplayable

I might be getting a few mixed up since it's been a long ass time since I played these games, especially the nes ones. For them, outside of beating 2 again, and messing around in random levels. The last time I sat down and beat all these games was when MM10 came out.

Saldrone

Educated
I never got why Mega Man 2 is considered the best title in the classic series. I know it made a significant leap on quality of the first game but its successors are superior in every way

I'm still waiting for Mega Man X9 :negative:
Honestly, these days I'm not sure if I want MMX9 or a Maverick Hunter X remaster followed by MHX2.
It's worth noting that XDiVE uses the same engine as MHX and X8. So they could literally remake MHX in the modernized engine.
MHX2 could also be awesome for a lot of reasons. Being able to play Zero after getting the parts, the Fourth Female X-Hunter (could be X-Kai instead but nah), 2nd Form Violen, remixed playlist...

Also, SkytricRMX did MHX remixes for X2:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's a memory test. He always disassembles/reassembles himself in the same order. Learn when you need to jump, and this shouldn't be a problem.

Ryan muller

Educated
It's a memory test. He always disassembles/reassembles himself in the same order. Learn when you need to jump, and this shouldn't be a problem.
the only part that can possibly be tricky is the one where 2 of the yellow blobs are thrown in sequence

If you get that one, you get the whole boss fight.

Ryan muller

Educated
Megaman 1 is mostly quite easy

The only reason why so many people dont think so, is that everything is coded in weirdly cryptic ways.

Your average player tend to arrive at fire man and spam buster shots without thinking, failing to notice that the boss was coded to react to your shots and shoot back each time.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

Hey bowlcut. How about you stream yourself beating the game to myself and Tacgnol (since he is more trusted than me). If you're so good I bet you wont die at all playing the game.
I actually do stream Megaman at times for a couple of friends. want the twitch link on PM?

Yes show me, mega man 1 is hard as fuck. If you grew up with that game and you played it 400x obviously it's going to be easy.

I owned mm7 growing up and I can knock out dr wily in that game on the first try, doesn't mean he isn't hard I've just played it 200 times.

Ryan muller

Educated

Hey bowlcut. How about you stream yourself beating the game to myself and Tacgnol (since he is more trusted than me). If you're so good I bet you wont die at all playing the game.
I actually do stream Megaman at times for a couple of friends. want the twitch link on PM?

Yes show me, mega man 1 is hard as fuck. If you grew up with that game and you played it 400x obviously it's going to be easy.

I owned mm7 growing up and I can knock out dr wily in that game on the first try, doesn't mean he isn't hard I've just played it 200 times.
No need to get defensive. I'm going to stream and teach you in the ways of the game, all you'll need to do is pay attention and learn.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

No need to get defensive. I'm going to stream and teach you in the ways of the game, all you'll need to do is pay attention and learn.

I've beaten it but it was hard as fuck. I played the NES games later on in the mid 00's, and there was a huge difficulty spike with mm1 compared to the later NES games(which I played first since mm1 is less popular).

The only mega man game I played and didn't beat was mega man and bass, which was beyond my abilities.

Ryan muller

Educated
I've beaten it but it was hard as fuck.
You think its hard because you don't understand the game

Its badly coded, once you understand how it works its piss easy. Look at the moving platforms at ice man stage.

Lots of people have trouble with it, what they dont know is that they never coded a moving platform in that stage, what you actually use is nothing but an invisible magnet beam, meaning that they are pushing the magnet beam up and down behind the curtains

Because the magnet beam is buggy, sometimes they vanish when somebody use them while jumping. In the same way, the platforms can have no collision while going up, then the player fall and dies.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded

Because the magnet beam is buggy, sometimes they vanish when somebody use them while jumping. In the same way, the platforms can have no collision while going up, then the player fall and dies.

Thats not the part I found hard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom