Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
its this time of the year again, now doing mm6 solo druid.
Cleared new sorpigal, now im going slowly through castle ironfist and I just must know. Why is my reputation negative? No npc was harmed by me. I was already negative in new sorpigal, then went to mist and killed some enemies inside town, then to castle ironfist. Killed some enemies towards baal temple and I did notice that im at -200.
Again, not a big deal but im curious. Is it about fighting in town people vicinity?

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
As soon as I finish World of Xeen, I intend to learn how to use a decompiler and start modding MM3-4-5.
I already tried to get in touch with Jeff Ludwig, to no success.

I'm a programmer, but never used a decompiler, and only every learned to code assembly decades ago at university.
Can you recommend me an easy to use decompiler that works with Dosbox?

My primary criticism of Jeff Ludwig's respawn mods for MM3-4-5 is that he changed too much.
He does have a standalone patch that only fixes two very critical bugs in MM3, though, so I will always be very thankful for his work:
His Arena experience bug fix and damage rounding bug fix.
http://www.jeffludwig.com/mm3/

I intend to have a mod that is somewhat conservative. Just a little balance tweak here and there.
I intend to mostly fix the % of treasure quality per level 1-6 (MM3 only),
Reduce obsidian weapon bonus damage from 50 to 40, and increase spell damage formula a little (mostly these five: power cure, cold ray, energy blast, fireball, and lightning bolt),
and remove the -1 endurance penalty for raise dead/resurrection. Maybe also give the Jump spell to the druid spellbook in MM3.

grimer

Learned
Jeff Ludwig's respawn mods
i played half of clouds with it and i liked the addition of new enemies to several areas (e.g. beholder bats in the dwarf mines) since clouds feels kinda empty especially when compared to terra. i didnt really like the changes to melee combat with how everyone, both the party and enemies, have more hp and ac which makes combat a slog, more so when they respawn.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Might and Magic Merge
I have some artifacts/items of Dark. When I am leveling up then the dark magic bonus always increasing as well.
Now +56. So do I have 40+56=96 power for Dark magic spells?

DaveO

Erudite
Please add Might and Magic Merge mod to the poll options. It should compete with both Mandate and Xeen. And that's coming from one who can understand why folks like one or the other or both.

Last edited:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Finished MM8 part of my solo necromancer in the Merge.
Most tricky was releasing the Earth Lord from prison. The Great Air Elementals were below my platform, I could not reach/see them but they were able to cast spells at me. Aaaargh.

DaveO

Erudite
LOL. 50 GM in Dark Magic. I understand the role playing and nuker potential there, but why not more points in Earth, Air, Water, Earth? And who in their right mind would want to put ANY points in ID Monster. Worse skill than Diplomacy in MM6.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
LOL. 50 GM in Dark Magic. I understand the role playing and nuker potential there, but why not more points in Earth, Air, Water, Earth? And who in their right mind would want to put ANY points in ID Monster. Worse skill than Diplomacy in MM6.
Yes, ID Monster did not show any information about high-level monsters. No hp, nothing.
Indeed, seems important pump up the elemental schools, because of the resistance spells.
Earth Lord prison was impossible at resistance 250, but using a increase air magic ring, it became 350. That seemed good enough to finish that prison.
It always true: equip the ring!

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Yes, you need elemental magic. I continue the Merge with MM6. So I went Darkmoor Castle, and the liches were immune to Dark Magic. So I had to use the good olde Sparks spell.

DaveO

Erudite
I'll be doing Merge Mod with a solo Minotaur Ranger, with 200 percent for bolster. It won't be right away, but I figure I might as well go All In in my attempt to clear all of the locations starting in MM6 since Merge puts you outside New Sorpigal. Then head to MM7 after using all of the horseshoes for skill points. I'd need money for that, but there are easy places in NS to get some. I can easily run to the treasure places and that would probably give me a few hundred in funds. Perhaps even some useable items, though I will use the "hidden" transport for stat boost when I can't get more benefits from fountains.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
So is it better play simultaneously all 3 worlds?
I am playing in order 8->6->7.
The mod makers should have made available the teleporting to other worlds right away in the beginning.
Like Xeen?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The mod makers should have made available the teleporting to other worlds right away in the beginning.
It is trivial to use the command console in order to teleport. The command is:

Code:
TownPortalControls.GenDimDoor()
    TownPortalControls.SwitchTo(4)
    Game.GlobalTxt[10] = " "
    ExitCurrentScreen(false, true)
    CastSpellDirect(31, 10, 4)
    Mouse.Item.Number = 0
    Timer(TownPortalControls.RevertTPSwitch, const.Minute, false)

Be aware that it will drop you in a more or less random outdoor map tho, so it is advisable to use only once you get access to Town Portal.

Mauman

Learned
Unless they changed it you get the ability to teleport between continents pretty darn quickly. Course there's a cost which might stop you, but I never really had a problem with it.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Finished MM6 in my Merge solo necro playthrough. Next MM7.
In the narrow corridors of the Hive was great fun using Sparks spell against the devils.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Might and Magic Merge

I am playing a solo necromancer/lich. Can I choose the Path of Light in MM7?
The last time I played the Dark Path with a normal party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom