Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime The mistake a lot of modern boomer shooters make

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The white man knows he's making a plane-game so he thinks "what is a plane? How does it work? What does it do?" Japanese man knows he's making an arcade game and thinks "what's awesome?"

Almost as if white people are sattva oriented and Japanese people are rajas oriented. You should take that argument in the other thread bro.
If you understand this so well why am I the one writing posts explaining differences between cultures, while you write posts explaining that you have the power to explain differences between cultures?

Because you are making a big deal out it and i enjoy fucking with you.

Quoting other people is a legitimate form of argumetation and there's nothing wrong with it. Nothing of value would be added to the argument if i repeated the same point "in my own words".

GamerCat_

Educated
If you understand this so well why am I the one writing posts explaining differences between cultures, while you write posts explaining that you have the power to explain differences between cultures?

Because you are making a big deal out it and i enjoy fucking with you.

Quoting other people is a legitimate form of argumetation and there's nothing wrong with it. Nothing of value would be added to the argument if i repeated the same point "in my own words".
I did not ask for your input on this subject. I am still waiting in that other thread.

And as for your first line, you seem to be confused. I am drawing attention to the apparent gulf in capacities between us, not complaining that I am being put to work. Unlike you (and just about everyone else here) I actually enjoy discussions about art and media.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah but the fact is i'm basically correct and you know it too. I never found much value in "winning" arguments and pyramid quoting is a waste of time for me i just like to get the truth out there so i tend to zero in on the essentials of a debate.

Ironically, this culture of debate is a western thing. It didn't start with Aristotle but i think he was the one who cemented this practice and after several centuries of Platonism (a more judicious approach to truth in my opinion) Aristotelianism came back with a vengeance with the Thomists.

Schuon (lmao) once commented that Aristotelanism has something of the "Kshatryia" about it. Rather than arrive at the truth through contemplation and a process of self-searching, one engages in a series of dialectic battles.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thank god the thread's back on track.

The thread was Halo so nothing of value is being lost.

BTW, anybody remembers this?

I see some parallels with quite a few of the boomer shooters. People who weren't there attempting to recreate an era they never actually experienced.

GamerCat_

Educated
Yeah but the fact is i'm basically correct and you know it too.
You're so incorrect in your understanding of what it means to hold and present thoughts that it's impossible for you to be correct or incorrect about anything else beyond that. Having realised this my posts are no longer for you. Like with the other retards I am speaking to the audience and using you as a backboard.

I never found much value in "winning" arguments and pyramid quoting is a waste of time for me i just like to get the truth out there so i tend to zero in on the essentials of a debate.
This is like an old microsoft troubleshooting wizard's idea of intellectual discourse.

"This appears to be a discussion about differences in culture. Here's some info on differences in culture: [link to shit unhelpful weird branded website with slim information that doesn't address any pertinent questions]"

Again, you believe that the answer to the debate is Schuon, and you give us a bad link on Schuon. You believe that all negative reception to this is people not understanding that the link was just something that you had on hand, that we're getting a bad impression of Schuon and being distracted by this stupid secondary source's quality. That is wrong. This has been explained to you several times.

Why you look ridiculous is because this zeroing in was so eager and autistic that it completely ignored the debate. And you react to questions which would lead you to actually apply these essentials like a hiding turtle having rocks thrown at his shell. Saying that you aren't going to budge and that you simply have a complete and satisfying worldview is fine. From there it would follow that since you're on a video game/rpg forum, you would talk about video games, rpgs, or whatever, informed by that worldview.

But that's not what you're doing. You're saying that the answer is the worldview.

Do you understand the difference if I put it this way? If I were speaking to a Christian about these matters, what I am trying to make you realise is that while he could say the answer to all things is "Christianity", he could also give me a christian answer to specific questions.

What is the schuonist answer to the questions of this debate? I will not take Schuonism for an answer.

Ironically, this culture of debate is a western thing. It didn't start with Aristotle but i think he was the one who cemented this practice and after several centuries of Platonism (a more judicious approach to truth in my opinion) Aristotelianism came back with a vengeance with the Thomists.
This is irrelevant. Different ways of knowing or acquiring knowledge are not the cause of conflict here. You simply can't understand things people are saying to you.

Schuon (lmao) once commented that Aristotelanism has something of the "Kshatryia" about it. Rather than arrive at the truth through contemplation and a process of self-searching, one engages in a series of dialectic battles.
What is the traditionalist word for not doing either process and instead using oblique references to Schuon?

Ash

Arcane
Fuck that. Lets talk about Overload, Ashes Afterglow, Immortal Redneck, Everspace? Modern FPS doesn't have to be shit, derivative, bland and boring!

Harthwain

Magister
They have no stories, or coherent settings, or clear visual themes at all. Why is this?
First of all - stories came later (and by "stories" I mean something more complex than a line or two to give you an excuse to shoot at things). Very early on it was all about the technology and what you could do with it. Going from 2D into 3D was a BIG deal. When Doom 3 was developed it was SOLELY with lighting effects in mind, for example.

Secondly - a lot of early games (not just FPS ones) transitioned stories/settings outside of the game to save memory for vital stuff, because of the technical limitations. This was the time when a lot of the fluff that wasn't gameplay-critical was featured inside manuals (and, later, on websites). So I am wondering why you're so surprised with "they have no stories" part of the games that try to mimick that time period.

Firstly, yes, Silent Hill is a slight measureable decline over Resident Evil in the gameplay department, BUT still has engaging gameplay (to a degree) in its own right and offers things Resident Evil does not.
Why call it "slight measureable decline" though?

There is a style of horror that is done by making it so that the player is not able to completely defeat the monsters. Making it known to the player the monsters are there, even when you can't see them is the opposite of a jumpscare: where you are scared simply because of a sudden transition to a scene where the monster is in-your-face. You could compare it to Prenumbra and Amnesia. The first allowed you to kill enemies (although it was risky and clunky), the other took away your ability to kill enemies so you were always hunted and "on the run".

That's not decline, in my opinion. Rather, it is a different way of doing a survival horror.

They typically revolve around:
In-game character progression as opposed to irl player skill progression beyond understanding the mechanics of the game.
A sense of adventure and/or exploration.
A tangible story driven goal.
Eh, I would strike down the second and the third points. You can have them outside of an RPG. In fact, I would mutate the third point into "a player-driven story". Because the story - no matter the goal - revolves around how the player(s) approach the problem, not vice-versa. Which plays into the first point (what your in-game character is capable of doing). You can also mutate the second point into "an adventure/exploration that is extremely malleable and player-centric", similarly to the second point. After all, everything is a springboard for the player(s) to serve as an opportunity to interact with (with the GM trying to somehow loop the players back into his intended story or creating something new on-the-fly).

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
So I am wondering why you're so surprised with "they have no stories" part of the games that try to mimick that time period.
Because the games they're mimicking do have stories, as detailed in the OP.

First of all - stories came later (and by "stories" I mean something more complex than a line or two to give you an excuse to shoot at things). Very early on it was all about the technology and what you could do with it.
In the OP I gave the factors I count as "story", including a clear premise, locations that feel like real places (or abstractions of such), a sense of progression in which the player experiences the plot unfolding and sees the character's journey, etc. Again, if you compare Heretic with Amid Evil, you can clearly see what I mean - Heretic details a journey through a relatively coherent world in which we know who we are, where we are, what we're doing, why we're doing it, who we're fighting, and we hit milestones in our journey that represent tangible progress. Meanwhile in Amid Evil you have no idea what's going on beyond the deliberately-vague one-line setup that you're "the champion" and are fighting "evil" - meaning killing enemies who deliberately don't look like anything in a location that also deliberately doesn't look like anything.

Though even with your definition, the claim that old FPS games didn't have in-game stories isn't true - 1994's System Shock has reasonably lengthy audio logs to detail what's going on and "emails" that the player receives from allies and antagonists to explain the plot, 1995's Dark Forces has voice-acted cutscenes and pre-mission briefings plus occasional chatter from the protagonist and his friend during gameplay, Outlaws has reasonably lengthy voice-acted cutscenes designed to further the plot/characters and explain how you moved from one level to the next, games like Strife and Cybermage played around with dialogue systems and other "cinematic" elements, games like Killing Time kept stopping the gameplay to have the player listen to characters speak (even including live action actors in Killing Time's case), and so on. Then you get into the Unreal/Half-Life era and the story and setting end up taking priority over the combat.

That's why I'm surprised - throwback shooters without stories aren't mimicking the time period accurately, to the point where their priorities and design philosophies seem to be almost the opposite of those of 1990s developers at times.

Harthwain

Magister
In the OP I gave the factors I count as "story", including a clear premise, locations that feel like real places (or abstractions of such), a sense of progression in which the player experiences the plot unfolding and sees the character's journey, etc.
I am not buying that as a story. Part of the setting, sure, but not as a story itself.

Again, if you compare Heretic with Amid Evil, you can clearly see what I mean - Heretic details a journey through a relatively coherent world in which we know who we are, where we are, what we're doing, why we're doing it, who we're fighting, and we hit milestones in our journey that represent tangible progress. Meanwhile in Amid Evil you have no idea what's going on beyond the deliberately-vague one-line setup that you're "the champion" and are fighting "evil" - meaning killing enemies who deliberately don't look like anything in a location that also deliberately doesn't look like anything.
Why not compare Heretic 1 with Heretic 2? Heretic 1 literally dumps you straight into the game Doom-style, without any explanation whatsoever. Heretic 2 gives you a proper intro (aside from what you can find in the manual). Also, the games such as Doom, Heretic, Quake and such are seen as the staple of 2D (or early 3D) shooters, so even if you can find examples of games that do have a proper story you shouldn't be surprised why there is no real story in modern boomer shooters.

JoacoN

Literate
Fuck that. Lets talk about Overload, Ashes Afterglow, Immortal Redneck, Everspace? Modern FPS doesn't have to be shit, derivative, bland and boring!
Talking bout Inmortal Redneck, does it get better after the first hour? I played an hour or so but found it kinda rough, so wanted to know

Lemming42

Arcane
I am not buying that as a story. Part of the setting, sure, but not as a story itself.
What is a story in a videogame, if not events and locations that are depicted on-screen? Do you buy Half-Life as having a story?

Here's Heretic's story, and how it's presented to the player:
The manual tells us about the invasion of Parthoris, the genocide and persecution of the Sidhe Elves by the other races who join the cult of the Serpent Riders, and the decision of the Sidhe Elders to put out the flames that hold the world together or whatever (I'm writing this from memory, I'm sure some Heretic loremaster will be along shortly to correct me). We also learn of Corvus, the protagonist, and how he refuses to back down and instead sets out into the ruins of the world to hunt down and kill D'Sparil (who we're also introduced to as the antagonist). This is already more story than you get in most throwback shooters.

In the game itself, the following happens, and is relayed to the player through gameplay and brief text screens:
- Corvus sees the ruins of a city conquered by the Serpent Riders long ago, and encounters the races who have been warped to serve them.
- Corvus is hunted by Disciples of D'Sparil, who stalk him through these ruins. I mention this because the enemies in Heretic, as in Doom, actually mean something and their appearance is relevant to the plot, unlike enemies in, say, DUSK or Amid Evil.
- Corvus acquires leftover artifacts of the Sidhe Elves, including the Tome of Power. Again, I mention this because the weapons and artifacts you discover feel thematically appropriate rather than like random abstract shit, and thus serve to enhance the setting.
- Corvus discovers the Iron Liches, seemingly the commanders of the invasion of Parthoris. He annihilates them in battle. After doing so, he discovers a portal to a hellish world. Although he's cleansed his home, he decides to push through the portal and seal it from the other side.
- Corvus traverses Hell's Maw and encounters the creatures native to that dimension.
- Corvus defeats the Maulotaurs and, in doing so, discovers another portal, which he expects to lead him home. Instead, upon entering, he hears D'Sparil's mocking laughter in his head and finds himself alone inside D'Sparil's undersea lair.
- Inside the lair, Corvus encounters the Serpent Riders' most elite troops. He makes it to D'Sparil's sanctum.
- D'Sparil and Corvus engage in a lengthy battle in which a number of the remaining Disciples rush to defend their master. Using the Tome of Power, Corvus crushes D'Sparil and obliterates the ocean lair.
- As the lair collapses around him, Corvus leaps into a portal. (If you have the Serpent Riders expansion, the following happens.) As D'Sparil dies, he places a curse on Corvus. Thus, instead returning home, he instead finds himself in a desolate wasteland, surrounded by more and worse enemies. He resolves to continue regardless, despite having no clear hope of ever returning.

At any point in the game, you know who you are, where you've come from, where you're going, why you're doing it, and so on. The locations are also visually clear and memorable - the ruined city of E1, the abandoned cathedrals and lava lakes of E2, the opulent ocean palace of E3. I'm not claiming this is a deep story akin to a lengthy novel, but it is a story with a clear premise and a chain of events that propels the hero forward through various challenges and encounters, and takes place in locations that make sense. I could do the same thing for Doom. I don't think I could do it for DUSK or Dread Templar or Zortch (premise aside) or Amid Evil. With the most charitable reading possible and the best will in the world, I could genuinely not tell you what the fuck is going on in those games plot-wise, or what locations or story beats most of the levels are meant to represent.

Also, the games such as Doom, Heretic, Quake and such are seen as the staple of 2D (or early 3D) shooters, so even if you can find examples of games that do have a proper story you shouldn't be surprised why there is no real story in modern boomer shooters.
Several of the examples I gave were highly notable, especially System Shock, Dark Forces, Unreal and Half-Life, and many of them are directly called back to by some of these throwback games - DUSK includes references to Half-Life, for example. But again, even if you take Doom, Heretic and Quake as your inspirations, two of those games have clear plot arcs, strong premises, and (generally) coherent locations, even if they're presented in a highly abstract way.

Harthwain

Magister
What is a story in a videogame, if not events and locations that are depicted on-screen?
Locations alone are not enough (and I would like to hear from you what do you consider events). Remember three unities of a Greek drama (unity of action, unity of time and unity of place)? If you take the story out of Warcraft 2 (the intro and briefings) all you are left with is a bunch of disjointed maps. The story is what ties in them all into a coherent whole (and, in my opinion, elevates the whole game from being a bunch of skrimishes to having an actual campaign with realistic goals).

Or look at Diablo 1 (1996) - you could take out the story bits (the books and the quest-related NPC talks) and simply keep descending until you get down to the last level and kill the final boss. But it doesn't change the fact you would be missing out on all these story bits related to Butcher, Leoric, Lazarus or even Diablo himself, even if you could "do the same thing for Diablo" as you did for Doom/Heretic just now.

I'm not claiming this is a deep story akin to a lengthy novel, but it is a story [...] I could do the same thing for Doom.
But that's the truth of the matter: I disagree with calling THAT a story. That's LARPing a story into existence, not having one. You want an FPS with a story? Try Strife (1996), also made on Doom engine.

Lemming42

Arcane
But that's the truth of the matter: I disagree with calling THAT a story. That's LARPing a story into existence, not having one. You want an FPS with a story? Try Strife (1996), also made on Doom engine.
I already mentioned Strife!

But no, it's not LARPing a story into existence, I'm referring exclusively to the events of the game, and everything I listed is told to you either via gameplay, through the in-game text, or in the manual. Which part is LARPed? I was very careful to only refer to things that Raven conveyed unambiguously to the player, including Corvus' emotions/thoughts regarding being teleported.

and I would like to hear from you what do you consider events
In the case of Heretic:
- The battle against the Iron Liches (the manual tells you what these are, so you have context for when you meet them - iirc they're the souls of dead mages who have placed themselves inside these big floating death-machines, and they act as the generals responsible for the invasion of Parthoris).

- The discovery of any Tome of Power; these are tomes which contain the spirits of seven Sidhe elders (iirc - again, it's been years since I read the manual. I can't remember if they're Sidhe elders or some supernatural non-elf guardians) who sacrificed themselves to protect the Sidhe. The tomes were looted by D'Sparil's troops after their genocide of the Sidhe; Corvus reclaims them to aid him.

- Defeating the Maulotaurs and having D'Sparil kidnap you and bring you to his lair (the battle and entry to the portal is done via gameplay, the kidnapping is described through the inter-episode text screen).

- The final battle against D'Sparil, and the subsequent curse which banishes you to some distant hellish wastelands.

Because we know the backstory, because we have context for enemies and items, because the setting is coherent, and because the levels are meant to represent themed locations, the rest of the story can be relayed to the player through gameplay. For example, the final battle - gameplay-wise the player rushes in, uses power-ups, runs around, and shoots D'Sparil until dead. However, we know who Corvus is and who D'Sparil is, we understand where the battle is taking place and how Corvus got there, we know what D'Sparil has done to the Sidhe, we know the ways in which D'Sparil has attempted to foil Corvus thus far, and therefore the meeting has some gravity. When Corvus uses the Tome of Power, we know - because we're told by the manual - that he's invoking the past heroes of the Sidhe to destroy D'Sparil (who conducted a brutal genocide of the Sidhe, so there's a bit of poetic justice). It's one of the last survivors of a genocide invoking the magic of his people to destroy the one responsible, it's kind of cool. I remember it 30 years later*. And it's all there in the manual and in the game.

*though again, I'm probably getting specific details wrong and my memories of the manual are very cloudy; let some Heretic mega-fan come and correct me

It's the same for Half-Life - Gordon hitting a HECU marine with his crowbar is a story beat becauase we know who Gordon is, where he is, who the HECU are, why they're here, how Gordon got his crowbar, and why the two parties are trying to kill each other. We don't need dialogue or a text crawl or an audio log or to be told how Gordon feels about it, because it works as a plot beat in a videogame where we already understand the background (having experienced it firsthand via gameplay) and are projecting ourselves onto Gordon.

But in Amid Evil when the buff alien guy you're playing as shoots his blue wand at a polygonal model in a rejected Arcane Dimensions map, what's the story there? What does any of it mean? (FWIW, I really liked the backstory that Black Labyrinth gave to the axe weapon - I just wish the main game had the same kind of meaning)

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I already mentioned Strife!
I missed that. Still, I am surprised you did mention Strife - knowing its actual story - yet argue for Doom having one.

But no, it's not LARPing a story into existence, I'm referring exclusively to the events of the game, and everything I listed is told to you either via gameplay, through the in-game text, or in the manual. Which part is LARPed? I was very careful to only refer to things that Raven conveyed unambiguously to the player, including Corvus' emotions/thoughts regarding being teleported.

But in Amid Evil when the buff alien guy you're playing as shoots his blue wand at a polygonal model in a rejected Arcane Dimensions map, what's the story there? What does any of it mean?
I don't have the game, but here is what little I've found from the actual developer:

Check the in game codex for the story. There's also messages on the walls in the levels that add to the lore.
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/673130/discussions/0/4031350479978614778/

Looks like a pretty similar setup Heretic was going for. Maybe with less detail and spoken less directly to the player. But it is there. You even have people putting together fan theories based off that:

Lemming42

Arcane
I missed that. Still, I am surprised you did mention Strife - knowing its actual story - yet argue for Doom having one.
Doom does have a story with a clear setting and premise and plot arc, but I think we're going to go around in circles if I try to argue that point. Just out of interest, though, do you think Half-Life and Unreal have stories, or do they not meet the barrier for what you'd consider to be an "actual story"?

Looks like a pretty similar setup Heretic was going for. Maybe with less detail and spoken less directly to the player. But it is there. You even have people putting together fan theories based off that:
I remember the broad plot outline of the Champion going to fight "The Evil" to free the corrupted Ancients or Elders or w/e they were called, but sadly from what I remember the enemies, locations and weapons are all mostly meaningless, or have backstories that feel like generic fantasy without fitting together in the way Heretic does.

I will check the in-game codex out next time I play it though, I'd love to have missed a lot of detail because I do wish I liked a lot of these games more than I do and some kind of memorable plot and/or setting is exactly the kind of thing that could make them work.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Doom does have a story with a clear setting and premise and plot arc, but I think we're going to go around in circles if I try to argue that point. Just out of interest, though, do you think Half-Life and Unreal have stories, or do they not meet the barrier for what you'd consider to be an "actual story"?

I remember the broad plot outline of the Champion going to fight "The Evil" to free the corrupted Ancients or Elders or w/e they were called, but sadly from what I remember the enemies, locations and weapons are all mostly meaningless, or have backstories that feel like generic fantasy without fitting together in the way Heretic does.

I will check the in-game codex out next time I play it though, I'd love to have missed a lot of detail because I do wish I liked a lot of these games more than I do and some kind of memorable plot and/or setting is exactly the kind of thing that could make them work.
Both Half-Life and Unreal certainly do have stories.
Unreal has minimal storytelling in the form of logs you find on corpses, books or when approaching consoles. You can choose whether or not to read them, but some are useful and help you to progress through the game, while others offer information about the Nali and their spiritual beliefs. Others offer information about the Skaarj.
Unreal never takes control away from you, the Player.
Neither does Half-Life.
That's why they are universally beloved.

Harthwain

Magister
Doom does have a story with a clear setting and premise and plot arc, but I think we're going to go around in circles if I try to argue that point.
Don't mistake me. I am not saying that Doom does not have a clear setting and a premise with a certain game-winning goal (same as Wolfenstein 3D, by the way). But I do not consider that alone to be a story. Again, you need something to make a difference between a set of various maps/levels (I already gave my Warcraft 2 and Diablo 1 examples, so I don't see the need to repeat myself here).

Just out of interest, though, do you think Half-Life and Unreal have stories, or do they not meet the barrier for what you'd consider to be an "actual story"?
Can't talk about Unreal (never bothered playing it), but Half-Life has a story. In fact it is a linear game, compared to a bunch of maze-like maps. There are proper events happening in-game (instead of stuff you had to read in the game's manual in-between playing separate scenarios you can select from a menu that doesn't even look like a proper campaign), there are characters other than the player, etc.

Ash

Arcane
Talking bout Inmortal Redneck, does it get better after the first hour? I played an hour or so but found it kinda rough, so wanted to know

I think so. It's one of those games you come to appreciate more with time. And an hour isn't enough to see what the game is capable of. For example, you can end up with a ninja build with quadruple jump that flies through the air at 100mph tossing kunai at everyone. It's epic. Another run you'll have a pretty good build going but get a shitty negative modifier that really puts your FPS skill to the test, to survive regardless. It's just pure fun.

Why call it "slight measureable decline" though?

There is a style of horror that is done by making it so that the player is not able to completely defeat the monsters. Making it known to the player the monsters are there, even when you can't see them is the opposite of a jumpscare: where you are scared simply because of a sudden transition to a scene where the monster is in-your-face. You could compare it to Prenumbra and Amnesia. The first allowed you to kill enemies (although it was risky and clunky), the other took away your ability to kill enemies so you were always hunted and "on the run".

That's not decline, in my opinion. Rather, it is a different way of doing a survival horror.

Silent Hill does neither, at least once familiarity with the game is attained. You have more than enough resources to gun everything down, just need to avoid a few harmless enemies here and there at the start or beat them with the pipe (e.g the little guys in the school, occassional harmless encounter in the first two town sections) and then you're set to go ham. The game also gives you a lot of space to maneuver around enemies, whereas Resident Evil makes ammo limited AND tight hallways and such so that avoidance is tricky.

As great as Silent Hill's navigation challenge and puzzle elements are, removal of meaningful resource management (it's a little generous with health and ammo) as well as inventory management (limited grid + item box) eliminates aspects of planning, puzzling, long-term survival, makes combat less interesting, strategic and tense etc. Silent Hill with this design on top would be absolutely GOATed. But you can say it doesn't HAVE to have inventory management and limitations, that it has a different focus, and that would be fair. Somewhat. But at the bare minimum there should be tighter resource management/economy (ammo, health), that's pretty fundamental game design across all genres. It's not as generous as its shitty sequel, but still definitely overly so.

Anyway, slight measurable decline. Right here. Classic Resident Evil gameplay is superior. Especially if you compare it to Resident Evil 3 which has tons of nuances in this regard.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Can't talk about Unreal (never bothered playing it), but Half-Life has a story. In fact it is a linear game, compared to a bunch of maze-like maps. There are proper events happening in-game (instead of stuff you had to read in the game's manual in-between playing separate scenarios you can select from a menu that doesn't even look like a proper campaign), there are characters other than the player, etc.
This has honestly made me even less clear on what constitutes the distinction between your definitions of "story" and "not a story". Like, the episode selection screen; you're selecting the three acts of the plot, and must play them sequentially to see it unfold. The text crawl at the end of each epsiode explains how and why you're going to the next episode. You can't play the acts out of order without the plots (which exist!) not making sense.

If Half-Life kicked you back to the main menu at the end of each chapter and you had to select Blast Pit manually after completing We've Got Hostiles, would that damage the integrity of plot?

The linearity point is going over my head too, Heretic and Doom are both linear and feature maps/episodes that are played in order to show the player a clear progression of events (eg. UAC base on Phobos -> Deimos base being gradually consumed by Hell -> Hell). I legit don't get how them being more nonlinear and mazelike than Half-Life's maps affects the game's plot.

There are proper events happening in-game (instead of stuff you had to read in the game's manual)
What's the difference between Gordon being knocked out and thrown into a trash compactor versus Corvus' teleport being redirected as he's kidnapped and whisked away to the Dome of D'Sparil? One is conveyed via a cutscene and the other is conveyed via text but otherwise I don't see why one is a "proper event" and the other isn't. Similarly, what's the difference between the D'Sparil confrontation versus the Nihilanth showdown*, or traveling to Xen versus traveling to Hell's Maw, or retrieving a Tome of Power versus retrieving the Tau Cannon, or the HECU ambushing Gordon in the underground rail area versus the Disciples of D'Sparil ambushing Corvus in the cesspool?

*other than that the latter comes out of almost nowhere

Half-Life's presentation is obviously flashier and almost inarguably better, but the actual plots of each game have about as much detail as each other. The only real difference I can see is that Half-Life's level design goes for verisimilitude while Heretic's and Doom's go for abstraction.

Harthwain

Magister
This has honestly made me even less clear on what constitutes the distinction between your definitions of "story" and "not a story".
The story is something that ties in everything together. On that point, I have to agree to a degree here with you. Heretic does have a story. Thing is, it is more an excuse to do the levels than a proper story. It is also badly done. You shouldn't be able to play the maps out of order (at least not before unlocking them) and the story introduction as such should be done in-game, even if in the form of the wall of text. Same thing with Doom.

The linearity point is going over my head too, Heretic and Doom are both linear and feature maps/episodes that are played in order to show the player a clear progression of events (eg. UAC base on Phobos -> Deimos base being gradually consumed by Hell -> Hell). I legit don't get how them being more nonlinear and mazelike than Half-Life's maps affects the game's plot.
Once more: swapping maps alone is not the plot nor what I consider story progress. You can swap maps without progressing a story (or having a story to begin with). You need something in-between so that swapping maps is meaningful.

Technically there is a story in Doom 1. But it - as Heretic - drops you into the game without telling you anything (you need the manual for that). There are some short walls of text that are supposed to progress the "story", but I don't really think it's meaningful in terms of story telling. If you said that Doom 1 suggests a story, then I would've agreed with you. Because that's what Doom 1 does: it is not there to tell the story, it is there to give you an excuse to shoot at things. You're literally being presented with ramblings of an angry marine that, frankly, aren't even interesting to read.

As for linearity - when you have a single map (or a maze) it is harder to convey the plot. With a linear game it is much easier to present the player with a story (especially when he has to be there to witness it). It is not to say that you can't have a decent story with a set of maps (Diablo 1 and Warcraft 2 being good examples. Or Strife), but Half-Life with its approach leaves no doubt as to the story it is trying to tell (because the events are literally happening around you, in a dynamic way) and you aren't there purely to shoot at things (although that is part of the game).

All in all, it is arguing on a technicality.

Lemming42

Arcane
Thing is, it is more an excuse to do the levels than a proper story.
And yet if we were to write it out alongside Half-Life's story, we'd find them to have a similar level of detail, and a similar span of plot beats (many of which could be summarised as "Gordon/Corvus navigates a dangerous area while threatened by hostile forces").

I don't think the story is an "excuse" to do the levels, because if that were the case then there'd be no reason to write a lengthy backstory, or for the levels to visually and thematically represent the journey the player is taking, or to create art assets that express things that convey the story (eg the hanging Sidhe corpses in formerly-civilian areas), or to withhold certain enemies until it makes sense for them to arrive in the plot (eg the Iron Liches appearng first guarding the invasion portal, the elite serpent creatures not appearing until E3, Hell's Maw having its own native creatures, etc).

And also, again, the levels are the story, in that they convey it - the ambushes by Disciples, the scenery changing as you get nearer the next portal, the ruined villages that have been raided and destroyed by the cultists. Heretic's "The Gatehouse" conveys just as much as Half-Life's weapons research lab in Questionable Ethics - both show an area where the player can see the enemy forces' invasion at work, and also see what the area would have been used for prior to the events of the game, and both act as connecting points between other areas on the hero's journey.

If it were a flimsy excuse for a game, they could have just said "you are the MegaSlayer and you are here to kill evil!!!", and then had all the levels, weapons and enemies be random incoherent shit... which is what a lot of throwback shooters do, and it's no small part of why they end up being naff, IMO.

It seems like your complaints are about the way the story is presented (and the game's menu?), but to claim that it's not a "proper story" seems odd to me when it demonstrably follows a very clear plot arc, the player character's objective(s) are clearly defined, the maps represent a coherent journey, the enemies and power-ups have explained reasons to exist in-universe, and so on.

the story introduction as such should be done in-game, even if in the form of the wall of text. Same thing with Doom.
We could probably make a WAD that just prints the manual's backstory section as a text crawl when the player launches E1M1, if that'd make all the difference. I never had a problem just reading the manual (a lot of older games had novellas going on in the manuals, check out 1992's The Summoning for a great one) but it'd be pretty trivial to just have it show up in-game. But early 90s games expected you'd read the manual, it's a convention that I don't see any problem with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom