Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by 7h30n, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Uhh...I never upgraded the blackjack. (In fact I almost never used it.) This is a one-button takedown action that you can perform if you stand close enough behind a guard who's not out for your blood at that particular moment. Crouch-sneak up behind a guard and you should't have a problem doing this. Walking up behind a guard will raise his suspicions as he'll hear you.

Make that 4 types of saves then, with quicksaves being the fourth. I NEVER use quicksaves. As for manual saves, check the number in the upper right corner of the save game box. For manual saves that number will go up to 99.

It won't get any better. South Quarter unlocks after you've finished Chapter 2 which gives you a waterfront, Auldale unlocks after Chapter 5 (forgot about that in my review) and the Old Quarter unlocks after Chapter 6. Those two places are on fire, but otherwise they're exactly like the rest of The City.

^ Top  
  2. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Hey, I'm a skilled thief player and I know modern stealth games you have only to crouch and press awesome button... I'm doing exactly that and the partner gets suspicious. Always...

Look:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have waited to press "q" when the crossbowman was a little behind the normal guard (since they patrol side by side). the second screenshot is with garrett stuck in the takedown animation, and as you can see, the guard is already turned and in full alert mode. It happens even when they are even farther apart.

On the save slots matter, I didn't check before but my mouse wheel got stucked and I didn't realize. Now I tested it and I saw an empty fourth slot...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Huh. Could be that it "works better" later on. In Stonemarket there's a place where there are two monoliths standing about, and two guards patrol between them. I'm 100% I pulled this stunt on them at least once.

But here's another experiment for you to try: Instead of blackjacking the guard, try headshotting him. The helmet will be a factor, so you'll need to shoot him from the front.

Try to do it in a dark spot of the map, and see if his mate notices.

Another factor: Are you playing on Master difficulty? I tried that the first time round, dropped down to the middle difficulty once I realized how buggy the patrol routes are.

^ Top  
  4. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    See pics above. and yes... master...

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Then it's the difficulty level that's the culprit. You get salutes for venturing that far into the derp.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    i'm confused why are there are bunch of retards talking about thi4f in the thief 2 fan mission thread

Infinitron the one time that your meddling is actually needed you are nowhere to be seen

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Well, that's the thief's den in RPGcodex and actually where all thief enthusiasts will surelly be found. And by the way, that thread is also about any FM in thief games... so its title is actually misguiding... I saw no prblem in UC review being there...

^ Top  
  8. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    This is the only reason given for the Thiaf review being split into a seperate thread. If I had wanted the review it in a seperate thread, I would have created it.

JarlFrank put it back, please?

^ Top  
  9. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    Or at least put it in the old thiaf thread...

^ Top  
  10. tormund Arcane

tormund
    Good chunk of those difficulty settings felt like they were crammed in without testing... Like how slower movement speed can borderline break mandatory, unskippable parkour escape sections, or how with expensive equipment ticked on you get in situation where single rope arrow is far more expensive than all the combined loot you can find in side mission that is only accessible with a rope arrow. And so on, and so on...

Speaking of sound, I remember how prior to release i thought it bizzare how one of focus powers shown in gameplay videos made AI footsteps visible. because, you know, that's what your ears were for in the old games. And then, once I played the game, i figured it out. Their sound engine was broken and you often couldn't hear guards that were patrolling in front of a door or talking in next room (while you could hear dialogue happening on the other side of the building). So "powers" like that one where there to compensate for game's shoddy design.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Darth Slaughter Arcane Patron

Darth Slaughter
    The only thing is that ui thing is not related to the custom difficulty settings. You can alter them at will in any difficulty mode...

Another thing that happened to me: I played a side mission which was actually small and I liked the level setup. It felt like a small FM. But guess what happened? Bugged scripted events. It was the tailor side mission, where said is harassed by thugs, and you have to steal a hand of an automaton... When you steal the hand, the taylor and a thug start a scripted sequence where he's being beaten up by the thug. Well, I saved before acting and proceed to pickpocket the thug and knockin him out. The first time the thug saw me and messed my undetected rating. What did i do? I reloaded the game... only to see the thug disappeared and the taylor fallen uncounsious, thus making it imposible for me to get all lockpicks necessary to for a side objective/challenge. Since it was a fairly small and easy mission, I redone it, and saved before taking the hand. Then I went to the scripted sequence, pick pocketed the thug, and knocked him out... saving the taylor that went on high alert and tried to alarm everyone there was a thief invader in his store... Man, i just saved you.

The best result is achieved if you shoot a blunt arrow in the thugs face, which weirdly doesn't flag the suspicion ratings, and sets the guard on search mode, but you're still undetected. And the taylor stays uncouncious on the ground. so you just take the thug down and be over... Shit, this game is broken...

^ Top  
  12. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I'll try.

Infinitron, don't mess with the Thief FM thread please even if people ask you to. That thread is under my jurisdiction.

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    But this thread isn't about an FM.

^ Top  
  14. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Unkillable Cat I'm not sure how to merge the threads back without messing shit up though so I might leave it this way.

^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    The thread kinda evolved into "general Thief discussion" over the years, anyway.

^ Top  
  16. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's not every day you see somebody ask to have his thread merged into a megathread. OK!

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    It was the best compromise...this time.

In addition I see that more Thiaf discussions from other threads have been brought in here. Great job. The Decline must be contained. (Not the user though.)

^ Top  
  19. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    you are truly an hero, unkirraburu cat

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    OK, who the fuck split the thread into "pre-release" and "post-release" threads?

It's become quite obvious that one of you four General Gaming moderators just aren't up for the task.

Infinitron
    WhiskeyWolf
    Jaesun
    JarlFrank

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    It was me, and why the fuck not. That thing was huge. It's standard practice for all games that have a large amount of discussion.

Geez dude you're pretty territorial about Thiaf.

• retadred x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  24. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Life under modroxor would be harsh, but fair.

^ Top  
  25. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Okay, but I'm still not reading your reviews.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.