Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Omega Project press release

bryce777

Erudite
When you have a career, you are too busy for kids. Doubly so if your wife has any sort of job, triply so if she has an actual career. You wakee up one day and go "Oh shit! I'm 50 years old and it's too late." That's what happened to me. My life has gone by in the blink of an eye, with only snarky message board messages and an angry, disappointed ex wife to show for it.

When I came to the US, and had my first steak dinner here, I could not believe it. I had eaten steak in many countries, but here is the only place where most of the people can genuinely eat whatever they want, whenever they want, and as much as they want.

I was hardly raised in a poor country, and in genuinely poor countries, where I have also been, it is much worse. At least 2/3 of the planet live in conditions where it's not tight in the winter but where I have to say "Why the fuck bother?" and yet people don't seem to think the world is overpopulated.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
bryce777 said:
When I came to the US, and had my first steak dinner here, I could not believe it. I had eaten steak in many countries, but here is the only place where most of the people can genuinely eat whatever they want, whenever they want, and as much as they want.
Say what? Do I need cryptography classes to read some sense into this?

SeanyD

Novice
Greetings

Hi there guys,

I was wondering who i havent sent the press release to today and thought ''oh my god, i forgot about RPG Codex!'' then i stumble on here and find its allready been posted, well some of it anyway, if you want the full press release give me a PM and ill sort that out for you. (Directed at Admin, Moderator, Who evers in charge)

In answer to the first few posts, before this thread turned into a debate on over population :

QUOTE (Vazquez): Well the concept sounds interesting if not cliched. Of course that means absolutely nothing if they can't form a game out of it.

Yeah, thats true, but you have to take in mind there are secrets we arent letting out yet...the concept may sound slightly cliched, if not very. Just rest assured that the game will be surprising, as thats what were going for. Saving the presidents daughter is the VERY basic plot outline...theres going to be much more than that to think about.

QUOTE (RGE): I'm a little disappointed that the main character is a cop. Cops can be bad and dirty and evil, but they're never quite adventurers. I mean, they take orders. Well, at least they're supposed to.

The game will start you out as a cop, and may seem forced to begin with...but you will have the choice of becoming what ever you like not long after. I have to state the following :

The game will (most of the time) never constrain you to a particular path...you will have your freedom you so deserve.

The main focus of the game wont be mind bent on making your character have the best armour, best weopon etc, but instead lean towards the roleplaying side of things...which a lot of CRPGs tend to miss.

Any more questions, im here to answer them as best i can
Thanks
SeanyD

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
bryce777 said:
Tell that to the homeless guy outside the restaurant.

bryce777 said:
I was hardly raised in a poor country, and in genuinely poor countries, where I have also been, it is much worse. At least 2/3 of the planet live in conditions where it's not tight in the winter but where I have to say "Why the fuck bother?" and yet people don't seem to think the world is overpopulated.
Because poverty != overpopulation.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Man, thousands of years ago the earth was way less populated. Obesity must have been, like, off the charts.

Higher Game

Arcane
You're confused. Overpopulation means more food of lesser quality, and sustainable population means less food of higher quality. Overpopulation, ironically, leads to fatness in Western countries and starvation in 3rd world countries, with little or no middle ground!

With a sustainable population, food quality is much higher. Grass fed cattle are leaner, healthier, and have more omega 3 fatty acids than grain fed factory farmed cattle, which are very fattening and unhealthy. Sure, we can eat steak all we want, but we have to PAY for it if we want the real, lean, healthy stuff! Unbelievably, some people don't like the taste of lean meat...

We have lots of food, but a lot of it's cheap white bread, soy, factory farmed meats, and various "frankenfoods". Quantity > quality in the modern world...

Also, if the world has 10x the number of people as in ~1900, then why aren't there 10x as many Einsteins, Beethovens, and Shakespeares? Obviously, the population growth isn't coming from the geniuses.

Oh well, time to read more about Peak Oil and stock up for the coming Apocalypse. Until then, more RPGs and a Merry Christmas! :lol:

bryce777

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
bryce777 said:
Tell that to the homeless guy outside the restaurant.

bryce777 said:
Because poverty != overpopulation.

man, you are out of it.

Even 'poor' people in the US are better off than the average people in many countries. I can't count the homeless people I have seen witha big gut. F ew of them are genuinely starving to death. Poverty is a complete red herring, but it is definitely caused by overpopulation.

That is, the standard of living decreases as the available resources become harder to utilize. That is, fresh water, arable land, hunting ranges, wld fruits and berries, etc. etc. If you can't see that (which apparently you can't) it is hopeless to talk to you(which is my past experience). Once, you could simply live off the land in the US by hunting and fishing and gathering chessnuts. Hell, you could go across the country and live on just chessnuts. Now, with more people, forget it. Very little hunting and fishing is left, it is licensed and regulated, and living off chessnuts crossing the country? What a laugh. You could never hope to now. Higher game has the right of it - already you can see how greater population makes resources scarcer. The only thing that's wrong is the quantties. taht is true for now, but ultimately, less resources leads to less food. More expensive houses, etc. etc. Why do you think property is so expensive in europe relative to income? And now increasingly in the US? Yes...population.

The only 'poverty' in the US is mostly social in nature - there are always going to be people who are too crazy, lazy, stupid, disabled, addicted, or just plain screwed up somehow, to fit into society. In the US these guys become homeless. In places like china, they are often just killed out of hand or imprisoned in what are basically slave camps, in tribal situations, maybe they do ok, but as soon as the tribe has a bad year they are the first to die off. Maybe they do not literally starve to death, but bad nutritiona nd shelter are not so good for your heath.

So, as I said you can pick a reasonable lifestyle and work backwards from there. If your reasonable lifestyle is anything remotely like the western world, it is utterly impossible to support it worldwide. Idiots take an econ class or two (I have taken much more), and they suddenly become amateur economists and think that somehow you can magically produce more of anything. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Food does not come from a factory, and the steps already taken to make more food has made food of much lower quality as it is. All kinds of cheap shit like soy, and cheap genetically engineered shit like canola. Think that's good for you? Well, think again. It's used because it's the cheapest shit possible, and canola has transfat acids that don't even occur in food you would normally eat. Your body is not equpped to handle it.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Higher Game said:
With a sustainable population, food quality is much higher. Grass fed cattle are leaner, healthier, and have more omega 3 fatty acids than grain fed factory farmed cattle, which are very fattening and unhealthy. Sure, we can eat steak all we want, but we have to PAY for it if we want the real, lean, healthy stuff!
That's because it's more expensive to make and so therefore costs more to buy.

Higher Game said:
Overpopulation, ironically, leads to fatness in Western countries and starvation in 3rd world countries, with little or no middle ground!
Erm.. what's this theory based on?

Higher Game said:
Also, if the world has 10x the number of people as in ~1900, then why aren't there 10x as many Einsteins, Beethovens, and Shakespeares? Obviously, the population growth isn't coming from the geniuses.
There's more music, scientists and play-wrights in the world today then there's ever been in any point in previous history. There are plenty more scientists of Einstein's calibre, musicisians of Beethoven's comparative calibre (Beethoven was after all, nothing more than a "pop artist" of his time) and writers of Shakespeare's calibre (who in his time, was nothing more than a populist playwright).

bryce777 said:
Even 'poor' people in the US are better off than the average people in many countries.
... because of Government (and privately) funded soup kitchens, charities funded by relatively wealthy private individuals and access to welfare resources. People in Africa aren't starving to death because their country lacks the natural available resources to feed them, which is a key point of your argument. They're starving because of local political conditions (see that link to the Zimbabwe article you didn't bother to read earlier).

bryce777 said:
Poverty is a complete red herring, but it is definitely caused by overpopulation.
So poverty in Ancient Rome was because of overpopulation too then, I suppose? Reducing the world's population won't eliminate poverty. It wouldn't even help it one little bit.

bryce777 said:
Once, you could simply live off the land in the US by hunting and fishing and gathering chessnuts. Hell, you could go across the country and live on just chestnuts. Now, with more people, forget it. Very little hunting and fishing is left, it is licensed and regulated, and living off chessnuts crossing the country? What a laugh. You could never hope to now.
Yes you could. With enough money you could source all the fish, chestnuts and other food stuffs you'd need for such a journey. It's called the economy. Fishermen catch more fish then they need so they sell the extra fish to people who want to eat fish, but can't be bothered catching it themselves. Chestnut farmers grow more chestnuts than they need to eat themselves so they sell the extra they produce to people who want to eat chestnuts but can't be bothered growing them themselves. Just because you can't find them at convenient intervals along the highway doesn't mean there's a lack of them, for the world's current population.

Of course, if everyone ate chestnuts like this guy then boy, would we have a problem.

bryce777 said:
Higher game has the right of it - already you can see how greater population makes resources scarcer. The only thing that's wrong is the quantties. taht is true for now, but ultimately, less resources leads to less food. More expensive houses, etc. etc. Why do you think property is so expensive in europe relative to income? And now increasingly in the US? Yes...population.
That's true and that's why the cost goes up. The higher cost is a disincentive to live in densly populated areas and instead move out towards the country, where land is more readily available. Of course this means a reduction in land available for other people who want to do the same thing but the fact remains that the Western World's population is stabilising. Australia has had a decreasing birthrate, as has the United States. Two resource guzzling nations. In fact the only reason population is going up in those countries is because of immigration, which is a shifting of resources rather than a real increase.

bryce777 said:
The only 'poverty' in the US is mostly social in nature - there are always going to be people who are too crazy, lazy, stupid, disabled, addicted, or just plain screwed up somehow, to fit into society. In the US these guys become homeless.
That's true. None of them are there because of overpopulation though. Likewise in other countries. These people aren't poor because of the high population. It's because they're usually unskilled people who can't do anything beyond basic farm labour, of which there is little need.

bryce777 said:
So, as I said you can pick a reasonable lifestyle and work backwards from there. If your reasonable lifestyle is anything remotely like the western world, it is utterly impossible to support it worldwide.
That's been true for years and I have no argument with this statement. However, it does not prove the world is overpopulated. It proves that the world is using resources irresponsibly. Westerner's eat too much. They drive when there should be reliable public transport systems. They drive fuel guzzling cars when they could be driving electric cars powered by renewable sources of energy such as solar and wind power or energy made from nuclear power. The western world's only now beginning to come to grips with its resource usage in recent years. Again, that doesn't mean the world is overpopulated.

This argument works exactly the same way for everything else any human being does anywhere. For example, I run a business. If every person world-wide ran their own business there'd be nobody to employ! It'd all be going backwards and the world would fall apart. I ride my bike around a local reserve where I live. If everyone in my area rode their bikes around the same reserve, it'd be no fun and lead to massive environmental damage (which would probably result in bike riding in that area being banned). It is overly simplistic to take what works or what someone does in one country and apply it to the rest of the world and then presume that that's what's going to happen.

There was a newspaper in London once which took the same view. It predicted that if horse use continued the way it was, the streets of London would be covered 6-feet deep in horse manure and the city would need to employ thousands of people just to keep the streets clean. That was back in the late 1800's. Funnily enough, I don't see any horse dung on London's streets today...

bryce777 said:
Idiots take an econ class or two (I have taken much more)
I can see it hasn't helped.

bryce777 said:
Food does not come from a factory, and the steps already taken to make more food has made food of much lower quality as it is.
Eh? The food we eat today is of better quality than it's ever been. The seeds we plant produce more grain and wheat per head because of managed crop breeding than anything we had in the past. Not only that, it is of the same or better quality than what we used to eat. The water we drink is of a better quality then the water they used to drink, thanks to filtration.

bryce777 said:
All kinds of cheap shit like soy, and cheap genetically engineered shit like canola. Think that's good for you? Well, think again. It's used because it's the cheapest shit possible, and canola has transfat acids that don't even occur in food you would normally eat. Your body is not equpped to handle it.
Seriously, do your research. Anything that's genetically engineered is not "cheap". There's a couple of billion dollars going into that industry. The fact that human beings are living longer than they ever have before seems to dispute this fact too. If our food really was in such a shitty condition as you say, we'd be dropping like flies, surely? Thaknfully, we're not. So it either clearly doesn't matter or it's not true.

After all this, you are forgetting one rather simple thing though. These resources are going to run out anyway. Having less people simply delays the inevitable for a wee bit longer. That is in no way a sustainable practice. Coal, petroleum and all the other natural resources are made over millions of years. To have a "sustainable" long-term renewable use for those resources would result in a world population of about 50 human beings. With such a population, you may as well kill of the human race anyway. The planet's only going to last about another 5 billion years as it is and I doubt 50 people would figure out how to build a rocket to escape the expanding sun in time.

Not every human being in the world eats the same food, the same way not every human being in the world drives big gas guzzling American cars. Not even Americans are driving their cars as much as they used to as petroleum prices have skyrocketed. You're apparently a highly educated economist, take a look at your notes on supply and demand.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
If overpopulation is a problem, can anyone find some statistics showing a correlation between population increase and a decline in living standards?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
If overpopulation is a problem, can anyone find some statistics showing a correlation between population increase and a decline in living standards?

Well I haven't seen any statistics for what you mentioned but I have seen statistics for population density and liviing standards. Usually when population density is higher, living standards decline because lots of people close together interact. Whether having sex and spreading disease, committing crimes, rape, murder, or just fighting and stress from casual and personal relationships. All those affect living standards.

I'm not sure what Bryce777 is saying now, but when he said people were starving because we are overpopulated he was wrong. There is enough food for everyone already being made. It's our society that chooses not to feed everyone. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that choice though.

Higher Game

Arcane
We're going to run out of oil in 100 years or so. Don't think of food production now. Imagine food production in 100 years without oil-based fertilizers. Ultimately, the world can sustain about a billion people or so without the oil food, which is going to run out eventually. You have to look over generations and centuries to really grasp the effects of overpopulation. Of course, politicians (and historians!) will blame social problems and greed, instead of correctly blaming the people. The popular opinion is wrong, as usual.

Also, think of the thousands of species we've wiped out just to make more houses to hold more people. Species that have evolutionary histories of hundreds of millions of years are destroyed for more subdivisions.

I'm a hardcore Classical fan, and I don't know anyone who comes close to Beethoven, or even to a lesser extent, Sibelius, Liszt, Schubert, etc. I listen to a lot of heavy metal, electronic music, jazz, and other genres, and no one can top the classics. It's as if humanity itself is losing quality in exchange for quantity...

As for economics, overpopulation causes a supply side shock, which is extremely hard on the economy. It leads to both unemployment AND inflation, a double shock. Inflation can be stopped by raising the interest rate, and unemployment can be stopped by lowering it. When both are a problem, you're screwed. A supply side shock is when the supply of a good cannot meet the demand, despite market forces.

No matter how rich someone is, if he wants the only apple on a deserted island, he can only buy that one apple, and no more. Substitute apple for oil and the island for Earth, and you get the picture.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
There's no question we're running out of resources and I've got no argument against the world becoming overpopulated at some point in time. The main points I want to make though are:
  1. We're going to run out of these resources anyway. Using less of them isn't "sustainable". It's merely prolonging the inevitable. Think of a cup of water. There's only so much water in the cup. If you drink it all in 5 minutes, you have a problem (given you need water) and so you look for a solution or alternatives. If you drink it over the course of an hour, you're still going to run out and in the long run, you still need to find a solution or an alternative. The Earth takes hundreds of millions of years to replenish the coal, gas and other resources we use. Which takes us to point two...
  2. The world is not ever-lasting. Current predictions are set for the sun to explode in about 5 billion years. Thankfully though, we'll be dead long before then because a couple of billion years before that happens, the sun will be so hot that anyone on the surface of the Earth is going to cook. This all presumes that the Earth's core doesn't collapse first or that a meteorite doesn't knock us out of orbit. The only long-term hope for the human race is to leave the planet and find other resources elsewhere in the galaxy (and take all the animals with us in some kind of 51st century Noah's Ark). Our galaxy is huge, let alone the universe and I have an inkling there are other planets "out there" with usable resources on them. We need to use Earth's resources to get us "out there" if we don't want to go down with the planet. Back to point 1, even if we did have a "sustainable" population that allows the coal to reform over a millenia, we're not going to have many millenia left to use it.
  3. Human beings have a remarkable ingenuity. As per the horse shit example I gave earlier, it is simplistic to take a current world view and apply that to the future. For example, presuming we won't find substitutes for oil and so on. Oil hasn't really lasted all that long anyway, given we've sucked it all out and used it all in about 100 years, compared to the millions of years it took to create the stuff. Oil is only being used because at the moment, it's cheap compared to other fuel sources. If we ran out of it tomorrow, we'd switch to nuclear powered aircraft and hydrogen or electric powered motor vehicles. In other words, resources that cost a bit more but now become the cheaper option as they are more plentiful than what we're running out of. This is "Supply and Demand" kicking in, coupled with some human ingenuity.
  4. Population in the developed world is decreasing. Higher Game made the comment earlier about the poor people being the one's who are breeding. That's pretty much accurate. As society becomes more advanced and wealthy, birth rates decline. So while countries like China and India at the moment may have an increasing population (though keeping in mind the one child policy in China and ignoring it for now) there's a reasonable assumption to be made that as they progress and the citizens move out of village lifestyle, they'll have less children and the world's population will stabilise if not actually begin to decrease.
  5. Not everyone is the same. The Communists tried for years to think everyone was the same. They denied them religion because it was irrelevant to them and they paid everyone the same wage because why should one person earn more than someone else? The reality is, people are not the same. It is absolutely true that if China ate as much meat as the US, we'd be in trouble. Thankfully though, they don't. But what would happen if they did? The price of meat would go up. Given the finite nature of resources, Supply and Demand would once again kick in. All of a sudden, the price of meat would skyrocket and meet consumption would plummet as only the wealthy could afford it. People less well off (anyone who's not a millionaire) would easily find substitutes. They'd be the ones eating more grain based or other products. In a sense, the market would naturally correct the problem itself.
In all of that, you should the point I'm trying to make. Regardless of whether we have 6 billion or 1 billion people on this planet, we're running out of resources. Reducing the population will only prolong the inevitable: the ultimate destructiuon of the human species.

Higher Game

Arcane
If you want to get really picky, even moving to other suns won't help, since the universe will someday reach heat death. Maybe all those suicide cults are right, and we should just give up, huh?

Zomg

Arbiter
Just goes to show that a desire for human perpetuity is infantile. Bring on the SUVs, cigarettes, booze and lard chops.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Higher Game said:
If you want to get really picky, even moving to other suns won't help, since the universe will someday reach heat death. Maybe all those suicide cults are right, and we should just give up, huh?
Except by then, we'll be capable of inter-dimensional travel and will therefore leave the dying universe and escape into another one.

NoisyKillerHPB said:
guys, shut the fuck up about overpopulation or make a thread in general, this thread is for the fucking game
Oi, you can make your own thread for Project Omega. Some people are trying to have an intellectual debate here.

Fresh

Erudite
Correct me if Im wrong here, but there surely must be such a thing as an ideal global population (in regard to the planets limited resources)? Of course this would depend on the level of wellfare per individual you'd stipulate as the minimally acceptable (plus a truckload of other factors), ie the overall result.

How would you decide how big the CREW on this spaceship we call Earth could be ideally?

bryce777

Erudite
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Correct me if Im wrong here, but there surely must be such a thing as an ideal global population (in regard to the planets limited resources)? Of course this would depend on the level of wellfare per individual you'd stipulate as the minimally acceptable (plus a truckload of other factors), ie the overall result.

How would you decide how big the CREW on this spaceship we call Earth could be ideally?

25 million is about how many can be supported in the US as hunter gatherers. Now, surely we can have more than that with some farming and have it be sustainable and live in some kind of reasonable lifestyle, but a billion is clealy far too many for the resources at hand to support indefinitely in a reasonable fashion.

Resources will run out eventually, but there are replacements but they are just more expensive than simply pumping oil out of the ground and take up resources such as arable farmlad and require labor...such as growing tons of corn to make ethanol.

Higher Game

Arcane
The scariest thing I've heard of is topsoil depletion. Even some "traditional" methods of farming eventually destroy the land.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom