Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The original Tomb Raider, its remake, and the loss of subtlety

MasterofThunder

I actually went with Brahma Force. What a total hidden gem. Prestigious :obviously: Japanese FPS mech game in 1996!

Inventory system:

390746-brahma-force-the-assault-on-beltlogger-9-playstation-screenshot.png

Equippable modules, weapon upgrades, weapons all have multiple fire mode settings:

images

fully customizable HUD, controls etc:

15890578-bed1-11ed-9c42-02420a000140.webp

Rather vertical, expansive, interactive, moderately exploration-based level design:

brahma-force-the-assault-on-beltlogger-9-eng_2.jpg

Fast-paced combat, super jumps (with cooldown), classic doom-style quick strafing, no z-axis auto-aim (unless using heat-seekers), wide variety of enemies, shield mechanic (manually use to defend against missiles etc, w/ cooldown or energy use).

1603099197-catorrent-brahma-force-the-assault-on-beltlogger-9-4.jpg

Periodic electronic communications providing story context and gameplay hints in classic 90s style

brahma-force-assault-on-beltlogger-9-02.png

Epic FMVs tell the story with a mature cyberpunk tone:

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, the 90s continue to deliver. This game even has door codes you have to listen to audio logs to discover.
The System Shock game no one has ever heard of. I'm on level 5 or so and having a total blast.

I too enjoy games where half the screen is covered with nonsensical UI elements!. How did you know?.

Ash

Arcane
I too enjoy games where half the screen is covered with nonsensical UI elements!. How did you know?.

1. Very little of it is nonsensical at all. It largely all has purpose. One or two elements are excessive, no big deal.
2. You can turn it all off, not that you should. Almost unheard of in its time.
3. It's kind of the point. That's how GUIs were in the mid 90s. I guess you've never seen The Terminator. Or played System Shock. Or heard of the rule of cool.
4. Place is overrun with uncultured faggots and/or degenerates.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Relevant video:

They didn't fail anything, the old games have poor controls and shitty hitscan enemies.

I played Tomb Raider Legend recently and it's much better than the old games.

Ignoring that the LUA-era games have worse controls and a worse camera, I'm not so sure that those games have better combat. I can't remember if the LUA games had hitscan or not, but they weren't something that changed Tomb Raider's combat from being there to...anything else.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Legend trilogy has smoother combat, but it's not necessarily better. Like the originals, Lara locks onto enemies and you just have to maneuver around to avoid their attacks while holding down shoot.
Except this time you have to reload your guns occasionally, and there's a target reticle around the enemy (because having more intrusive UI elements was the style at the time), and sometimes enemies charge you and you have to perform a QTE to avoid them and land a critical hit, and basically it combines all the worst game design ideas of the mid 00s into a combat system that's more annoying than the original.

lightbane

Arcane
Devs hating the people who worked in the product before is a thing that became more common by the late 00s. It became more prominent outside of gaming by mid-2010s, with nu-Star Wars killing Han Solo while the bad guy rants about killing the past.
Pettiness everywhere.

Semiurge

Cipher
Relevant video:

They took stole a profitable (despite the flop AoD) franchise and reshaped it into something that no longer resembles the original. Instead of doing its own thing, nuTomb Raider is now an amalgamation of ALL popular trends with this woke shit on top.

Devs hating the people who worked in the product before is a thing that became more common by the late 00s. It became more prominent outside of gaming by mid-2010s, with nu-Star Wars killing Han Solo while the bad guy rants about killing the past.
Pettiness everywhere.

What do you expect when these devs have an ideological hatred for the past and all works that came from it?

Spike

Educated
Relevant video:

They took stole a profitable (despite the flop AoD) franchise and reshaped it into something that no longer resembles the original. Instead of doing its own thing, nuTomb Raider is now an amalgamation of ALL popular trends with this woke shit on top.

Pettiness everywhere.

What do you expect when these devs have an ideological hatred for the past and all works that came from it?

Regarding Han Solo, I think Harrison Bored himself asked to be killed off because he hates being known for Star Wars lol.

TC Jr

Scholar
People still don't understand what type of game System Shock is, if they compare it with doom.
I get it's just marketing speak but my biggest pet peeve is "inspired by doom and quake", really, nigger? Choose one or the other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom