Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Vityaz

Augur
But why.

I thought with Microsoft they didn't need additional exclusives bribery.

Seethe

Arbiter
After the first year? Take this "console exclusivity" out of my face. I won't spend a single dime if you indulge into this crap. Go to hell.

So it's still gonna be on the Windows Store in the first year, too? I guess if you still want this game you can buy it there to really stick it to Tim Sweeney.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
But why.

Mo money is always mo betta.

Will they even get more money? This will turn from fuck bethesda and long live obsidian to fuck them for console exclusives in PC real quick, they just antagonised most of their playerbase. Whatever exclusive deal they struck with zoomerstore should better pay for millions of sales or they will lose money on this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's still gonna be on the Windows Store in the first year, too? I guess if you still want this game you can buy it there to really stick it to Tim Sweeney.

Hey TimCain, badler or any other Obsidian dev reading this. Possible way to sweeten the pill - free Steam key for people who buy the game on the Microsoft store. :fabulouslyoptimistic:

The Real Fanboy
giphy.gif

This drama is going to be so gewd, I live

Tovias

Learned
Actually it does because poster assumes that store is more important than content it has.
This is why i used Tesco/Walmart analogy to point how ridiculous argument is
because you would never argue where you buy your favorite yogurt and you would look at your friend who argues that you shouldn't eat your favorite yogurt because this yogurt is sold only in Walmart like a fucking idiot.
No, it doesn't.
I didn't mention anything about buying from a different brand being the issue here, I said that since developers working for EPIC receive money upfront, they don't have to worry about a quality product anymore. I don't know why you are making these terrible analogies.

Squid

Arbiter
But why.

It's apparently up to Private Division where the game gets released. I inquired about it being released on GOG a few months ago and that was the response I was given.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I can't find the game on Windows Store, it's not on it yet?

Also all the good will Obisidian builds in the past is now gone. Nothing left.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Interesting... they just deleted the tweet.

...and replaced it with a tweet basically saying the same thing. Cool.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-outer-worlds-and-control-will-launch-on-the-epic-store-not-steam/

Epic will distribute Control, The Outer Worlds, The Sinking City, Afterparty, and Industries of Titan.

During its GDC 2019 Unreal keynote this morning, Epic announced that it has partnered with 2K's Private Division label to distribute The Outer Worlds and Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey on the Epic Games Store. PC Gamer has learned that The Outer Worlds will also release on the Microsoft Store, but will not appear on other stores on PC for at least a year—that includes Steam.

The Outer Worlds quickly became one of the most-anticipated games after its announcement in December, an "exuberantly sci-fi" FPS RPG hybrid from some of the original creators of Fallout. In some ways it represents the biggest get so far for Epic's growing platform. Wes played it in December, saying "the setting has an invigorating freshness and personality to it for this type of game, and I think it's high time we got a campier, more sarcastic Firefly to Mass Effect's wannabe Star Trek."

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Epic will distribute Control, The Outer Worlds, The Sinking City, Afterparty, and Industries of Titan.

During its GDC 2019 Unreal keynote this morning, Epic announced that it has partnered with 2K's Private Division label to distribute The Outer Worlds and Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey on the Epic Games Store. PC Gamer has learned that The Outer Worlds will also release on the Microsoft Store, but will not appear on other stores on PC for at least a year—that includes Steam.

The Outer Worlds quickly became one of the most-anticipated games after its announcement in December, an "exuberantly sci-fi" FPS RPG hybrid from some of the original creators of Fallout. In some ways it represents the biggest get so far for Epic's growing platform. Wes played it in December, saying "the setting has an invigorating freshness and personality to it for this type of game, and I think it's high time we got a campier, more sarcastic Firefly to Mass Effect's wannabe Star Trek."

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Interesting... they just deleted the tweet.

...and replaced it with a tweet basically saying the same thing. Cool.

It's real.

Edit: Fuck you! to whomever retardoed my other thread about this.

GrainWetski

Arcane
From what the Phoenix Point devs said in that AMA, Epic offered them a guarantee of $2 million - the devs get the money regardless of whether it actually sells that much. If Obsidian could get a similarly absurd deal then of course it makes total sense for them to go exclusive.
2$ million is ~50k copies sold. Amazing stuff. Not worth trying to force the entire PC userbase onto Epic's trashy store for such a gamble. Not even for a game like Phoenix Point, unless it's complete trash and the devs know it.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
I thought this game might crash and burn when people's early expectations of a AAA open world RPG were confronted with what Obsidian were actually making. Maybe this is 2k's way of cushioning themselves against a likely flop?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lower cut of what?

Of the revenues, duh. Whatever Epic offers them instead of Steam's 30%. But they don't need Epic's money up front or "guaranteed sales" or whatnot, that would be absurd.

It's easy to break down:

Steam: first 10M$ - 30%, 10-50M$ - 25%, everything sold after 50M$ mark - 20%, if we assume 2M units on PC half of witch close to full price, we can estimate steam cut at around 25%
Epic: 12% and 5% Unreal licence fee is free for units sold on Epic. So overall it's 18% more profit.
The math works if the market shares are the same. They're not. Steam has 80-85% of the market and Epic has the Fortnite kids, which is why it's trying to lure the players in with these exclusivity deals. I'm sure they will succeed in boosting the number of players but it's absurd to think they can take half the players from Steam. Considering that all the other digital stores handle about 2% of the market, if Epic manages to grab 5 or 10% it will be an unprecedented success but Steam would still vastly outsell them.

On top of that, there is undisclosed exclusivity deal, which probably involves huge unit sales guarantee, paid from Epic pocket, even if the game is a flop.
What's huge? 2 mil? 5? That's 50-100k copies sold on release (i.e. nothing for a AAA release).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
somewhere, a bethesdan laughs

Well...if Starfield is a Bethesda store exclusive (like Fallout 76) then the only difference between the two games will be that this one came out on the Epic Store too. :M

People are joking but it's actually the right thing to buy the game on the Microsoft Store, if you're going to buy it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom