Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds goes Epic Games Store-exclusive (also Windows Store)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The diference with the metro exodus situation is that they didn't own the ip, while obsidian does own outer worlds, in this case wouldn't obsidian/ms have a voice on where their ip is sold?

Tovias

Learned
If developers have no need to worry about satisfying consumers since hella EPIC throws money at them, how is this exactly gonna help improve video games quality? It's like the PP dev team that was getting a lot of heat due to their poor decisions on developement, they have nothing to worry now and they can do whatever they want now regardless of quality.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Looking at SteamDB they've been adding a bunch of achievements as recently as a few hours ago (In fact one was added just a bit under an hour before this post) https://steamdb.info/app/578650/history/. :hmmm:
If this is real then somebody didn't get a memo (And if it isn't, then someone at Obsidian really should be getting the message out before this blows up any further.)

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
The diference with the metro exodus situation is that they didn't own the ip, while obsidian does own outer worlds, in this case wouldn't obsidian/ms have a voice on where their ip is sold?

I don't think it is Obsidian IP but i could be wrong. I think T2 is paying for that.

You are full of shit Perkel, you know that, don't you? The Outer Worlds has nothing to do with MS, it is published under a contract with Take Two. How do you think it is on PS4?

And what does it change ? They are not obligated to release it on steam.
Epic gave them better deal than Steam. Aka market at work.

$2 millions is a pocket change when it comes to developing games, even in case of AA.

It is still more than 0 which Steam would give them.

Halo was mostly exclusive before now. Phil has expressed great interest in more ports of previous exclusives as well. It probably won't start and end with Halo.

Yeah it seems like they are going platform agnostic for their next gen but i wouldn't dance yet.

If developers have no need to worry about satisfying consumers

You assume that having your game sold by Walmart is different than Tesco and customers will ignore product if it is sold in Tesco instead of Walmart. People go for product and price mostly not for bullshit around that.

Steam matters less for AAA than for indie. MHW didn't sell 5mln because it was on steam. IT sold 5mln because people wanted it.

Perkel

Arcane
Looking at SteamDB they've been adding a bunch of achievements as recently as a If this is real then somebody didn't get a memo.

Considering how those deals are made from leaks and developers themselves it wouldn't be out of normal that part of dev themselves don't know it will be Epic exclusive. And it is not like you can assume dev themselves actually care where it will be released on PC.

sounds like feargus got himself another 2 million

And his wife extra 1mln lol

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looking at SteamDB they've been adding a bunch of achievements as recently as a few hours ago (In fact one was added just a bit under an hour before this post) https://steamdb.info/app/578650/history/. :hmmm:
If this is real then somebody didn't get a memo (And if it isn't, then someone at Obsidian really should be getting the message out before this blows up any further.)

Achivement.png
The Dimwit loyal fan achievement - Waited for a whole year for the game to arrive on steam!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's probably more than that. Phoenix Point is a smaller, niche game, if that got 2 millions, Feargus probably got quite a lot more.

Pffft, you think Obsidian need Epic's money? This is a game backed by not one but TWO major publishers. Remember, these are the guys who had enough spare money lying around to add a turn-based mode to PoE2 for shits & giggles!

If they're actually doing this, it's purely for the extra $$$ of Epic's lower cut.

Delterius

Arcane
$2 millions is a pocket change when it comes to developing games, even in case of AA.

sounds like feargus got himself another 2 million
It's probably more than that. Phoenix Point is a smaller, niche game, if that got 2 millions, Feargus probably got quite a lot more.

Pffft, you think they need Epic's money? This is a game backed by not one but TWO major publishers. Remember, Obsidian are the guys who had enough spare money lying around to add a turn-based mode to PoE2 for shits & giggles!

If they're actually doing this, it's purely for the extra $$$ of Epic's lower cut.
nononon

Obsidian doesn't need Epic's money.

But Feargus could use a gold bathtub.

Direct cash transfers do not require deownership.

Codex Year of the Donut
From what the Phoenix Point devs said in that AMA, Epic offered them a guarantee of $2 million - the devs get the money regardless of whether it actually sells that much. If Obsidian could get a similarly absurd deal then of course it makes total sense for them to go exclusive.
It's not about the money it's about your customers.
There's a reason even pirates buy cdprojekt games.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I was going to pre-order this game with season pass, however if this is an Epic Games store exclusive I will never buy it.

Their platform is complete shit, has barely any useful function, and steals your personal information. And Even I can look pass all that shit, I still can't even buy the game because I'm in China and it simply won't allow any one from China buy games from it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

Pffft, you think Obsidian need Epic's money?
Um, yeah?

This is a game backed by not one but TWO major publishers. Remember, these are the guys who had enough spare money lying around to add a turn-based mode to PoE2 for shits & giggles!
Odd that they didn't do it for shit & giggles when PoE sold well. Don't you think?

Lower cut of what?

jf8350143

Liturgist
If developers have no need to worry about satisfying consumers since hella EPIC throws money at them, how is this exactly gonna help improve video games quality? It's like the PP dev team that was getting a lot of heat due to their poor decisions on developement, they have nothing to worry now and they can do whatever they want now regardless of quality.

It won't. And epic games has no intention to help developer in any shape of form in the first place. They are just use all those fancy talks to cover the fact that they are protecting the interest of the publishers, not the devs.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Sadly it also makes a lot of business sense since the game is on UE4 so it's 65% vs 88%

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom