Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Wunderbar

Arcane
luj1 rated your post
rating_retarded.png
retadred in the thread The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG - now with Murder on Eridanos DLC.
luj1 is outed as a fan of the outer worlds.

jackofshadows

Magister
What sjw shittery did you see?
You mean aside from the fact that there's no race or gender based tentions in the whole futuristic colonial world whatsofuckingever? Like, their dream came true or something. Or the most beloved by normies cubed quirky Parvati companion which has the most obnoxious cuck personal quest in mainstream games ever? Also, what Wunderbar listed, it's so weird to experience. Although there was a strange notable exception: female leader of the Sublime, she's batshit crazy for some reason. Then again, I've read some feedback and some normies were actually saying "nah, there's no sjw-agenda, what the hell are you talking about?". A fucking overtone window's victims.

Rafidur

Learned
And the main story is basically "capitalism is bad

I don't actually mind "capitalism bad", but the writers have never paused to consider why, exactly, capitalism bad? And therefore wrote a setting that doesn't make any sense. Reminds me of these, just a fundamental lack of comprehension of the thing they are mocking.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Initially I though the criticism was too rough for this generally competent consumption product. After a few months, I couldn't care less about it, so...
definitely not a success.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I would much rather have "hugely ambitious but failed" than "generally competent". In food terms Outer Worlds is a semi-cooked potato without skin eaten without anything

Cael

Arcane
What sjw shittery did you see?
You press "new game", chargen window opens, and default preset is a black woman. Okay, our character is a blank slate protagonist anyway, just gonna move a few sliders and make a guy.

Then the game starts, and the first npc is a crazy old guy from Rick and Morty (I didn't watch the show so i don't know which one of them is Rick and which one is Morty).

Then you realize that all of the female characters in the first city are quirky, strong, resourceful and independent (like the sheriff who guards the botanical laboratory, or the leader of rebels, or the first party member - Parvati) while males are dumbfucks (the incompetent mayor of Edgewater).

Then you get to the second city and get a sidequest where you find out that the previous captain of your ship (the supposed Han Solo-style tough swashbuckling space smuggler) was a flaming homo, and you meet his former lover.

Then you meet the rest of your party members - tough and independent pink-haired woman gunslinger with daddy issues, tough and independent purple-haired woman with alcohol-abuse issues, 20yrs old soyboy loser, a cleaning robot, and a former criminal who poses as a priest (the only good companion).

Then you realize that all of the female characters in the rest of the game are quirky, strong, resourceful and independent (like the lead mechanic of Groundbreaker, or the leader of Iconoclasts, or the secretary of mayor of Stellar bay, or the Board adjutant who gives you an alternate questline to take down Rick and Morty dude, etc), while males are dumbfucks (like the pajeet mayor of Stellar bay, or the Board chairman forgot his name, etc etc).

And the main story is basically "capitalism is bad, help the guy from Rick and Morty to save the world and fix all the problems by overthrowing the Board".
Heh. I didn't see any of that. Or maybe I haven't watched enough of the LP yet. Well, the strong female leaders one, yes, but it wasn't in my face enough to raise my hackles. I just found it funny that the strong black woman with alcohol issues has a face that is modelled on Rhianna, who was beaten up by her boyfriend (at the time) IRL.

Codex Year of the Donut
Capitalism bad, it allowed me to explore far away star systems.

And also "even though we built a colony in a far away star system, forget that basic nutrition is important for human health and survival". Retarded game.
You have time to fly all across the star system for a dress but delivering foodstuffs to starving people is too difficult.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am watching a let's play of Outer Worlds right now, actually, funnily enough. I am not seeing why it is met with so much hate.

Can people please explain that to me? The game play seems pretty good, and there doesn't seem to be any game stopping bugs. You don't get stuck in terrain, and barring one graphics glitch, the graphics are pretty darned good. Barring the commiecunt propaganda, there doesn't seem to be all that much sjw shittery in there.

There are around a dozen "retro shooters" out there now (Prodeus, Amid Evil, Ion Maiden, and Overload, to name a few) that offer excellent gameplay with few if any bugs. Some of them have progression and upgrade systems.

When a supposed RPG fails at world-building, characterization, and plot, what you end up with is a bad RPG. It doesn't matter how nice the graphics are or how few the bugs may be. In addition, this game has a woke streak half a mile wide—subdued, but clearly there. That is actively off-putting to sane individuals, and the wokeoids themselves aren't really interested in playing games.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Capitalism bad, it allowed me to explore far away star systems.

And also "even though we built a colony in a far away star system, forget that basic nutrition is important for human health and survival". Retarded game.
You have time to fly all across the star system for a dress but delivering foodstuffs to starving people is too difficult.

I just read the wiki - so the PC has a multi-step quests to get one of their followers under a bull dyke? Awesome.

Knew this was a $9.99 w/ all DLC sort of purchase, but now I'm thinking $4.99. And only if I've been drinking.

Rafidur

Learned
I just read the wiki - so the PC has a multi-step quests to get one of their followers under a bull dyke? Awesome.

No, no, the follower is asexual. They bait you with some firefly-like space mechanic girl (what are her motivations moving on? what happened to her parents? etc) but fuck you after you leave the first planet they hand her questline over to a 15 years old tumblr fanfic writer or something.
Thankfully the game gives you some joocy choices and consequences right after their date!

Codex Year of the Donut
They bait you with some firefly-like space mechanic girl (what are her motivations moving on? what happened to her parents? etc) but fuck you after you leave the first planet they hand her questline over to a 15 years old tumblr fanfic writer or something.
This actually happened, she was written by two people and you can tell where the second one started and the first ended.

kangaxx

Arbiter

No, no, the follower is asexual. They bait you with some firefly-like space mechanic girl (what are her motivations moving on? what happened to her parents? etc) but fuck you after you leave the first planet they hand her questline over to a 15 years old tumblr fanfic writer or something.
Thankfully the game gives you some joocy choices and consequences right after their date!

If you shoot the date whilst they're sitting at the table in your spaceship you get some hilariously stunted speech about "we need to talk about what you did to (whatever her name is)". It's so badly done that it's almost good.

Codex Year of the Donut

If you shoot the date whilst they're sitting at the table in your spaceship you get some hilariously stunted speech about "we need to talk about what you did to (whatever her name is)". It's so badly done that it's almost good.
yes but at least you can't say mean words to her

There’s another interesting wrinkle to the conversation with Parvati, when she opens up. In most RPGs like The Outer Worlds, players are granted a wide range of responses to every situation. You can be nice, you can be an asshole, you can be indifferent. In this moment, when Parvati chooses to be vulnerable, the game explicitly limits your range of responses.
“I want that conversation to feel like a safe space for the players who are playing it and identify with it,” she said. “I don't want to pull the rug out from under them and say, ‘Haha, actually you're a joke,’ or ‘other people think you are a joke.’ [...] I don't want to write a homophobia simulator. [laughs] That's not what I got in the game writing for.”
— Kate Dollarhyde, Obsidian Entertainment, 2019

Players should be able to play an RPG the way they want, and they don’t need my moral judgments getting in the way of how they have fun. I also am not a fan of pre-determined attitudes and alignments for players-my hope is that at the end of the game, they’ve answered the question, “What kind of character am I really, and how did that depart from what I thought I would be?” I always considered Torment a sort of role-player’s experiment, where each incarnation of the Nameless One had the potential to be a different personality and a different type of gamer, depending on the choices he made in the game world. It’s echoed a bit in Alpha Protocol at the end of game with Leland, where he asks if you became the person you set out to be when you joined the agency, and it’s something I like to keep asking players when possible because moments of self-reflection never hurt.
— Chris Avellone, Obsidian Entertainment, 2010

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron will rate me 'fake news' for directly quoting what people said because he's so upset that people are acknowledging the truth

Kate Dollaryhyde was referring to one specific dialogue node. In the game, you can murder Parvati's lover in front of her and get a reaction.

But in general, with The Outer Worlds we see that many Codexers are unable to distinguish between their aversion to millennial aesthetics ("soy", if you will) and actual political woke messaging (which the game is way too play-it-safe to have much of).

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Kate Dollaryhyde was referring to one specific dialogue node. You can murder Parvati's lover in front of her and get a reaction.
That's the entire point you fucktard.
They took away player's choice because the writer herself would be offended if someone chose something she didn't like, in a game where you go around killing thousands of people of varying degrees of innocence.

kangaxx

Arbiter
In general, with The Outer Worlds we see that many Codexers are unable to distinguish between their aversion to millennial aesthetics ("soy", if you will) and actual politicized wokeness (which the game has very little of).

I think this is a specious distinction in this case. The whole game is one long hate letter to capitalism, and has numerous other "millennial aesthetics", as you put it, dotted around the landscape.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kate Dollaryhyde was referring to one specific dialogue node. You can murder Parvati's lover in front of her and get a reaction.
They took away player's choice because the writer herself would be offended if someone chose something she didn't like, in a game where you go around killing thousands of people of varying degrees of innocence.

So an RPG designer wrote a scripted scenario that they didn't want you to be able to break before giving you back full control, wow that's never happened before. The only new thing here is that she bragged about it to make herself look like a woke activist to the journo crowd. It's something nobody would have noticed if she hadn't mentioned it. Mountains out of molehills.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

So an RPG designer wrote a scripted scenario that they didn't want you to be able to utterly break before giving you back full control, wow that's never happened before. The only new thing here is that she bragged about it to make herself look like a woke activist to the journo crowd. It's something nobody would have noticed if she hadn't mentioned it.
She wrote it in a way specifically to take choice away from the player. It wasn't about breaking it, it was about restricting your choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom