Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Don Peste

Arcane
Remember 11 years ago, A Night at Camp Ravenwood?

Kita McKellar-Zárate @ZarateGames

My name is Kita. I'm a Mexican-American #indiedev who makes interactive stories in the form of games.
My first real, big project was A Night at Camp Ravenwood, but I just didn't have the experience or capability to make it years ago. Now I do.
I'm currently working on finishing the design for a new version of it with a new story, characters, design, and puzzles, but below is what the game looked like over ten years ago.
I look forward to bringing to life a new classic #adventuregame.

https://peoplemaking.games/@ZarateGames/109367080122342691

00afa12c200433f0.png
fb7f3c7556eafffa.png
a788a0910ec56b79.png
15e6fd0050f6b3d5.png

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Remember 11 years ago, A Night at Camp Ravenwood?

Kita McKellar-Zárate @ZarateGames

My name is Kita. I'm a Mexican-American #indiedev who makes interactive stories in the form of games.
My first real, big project was A Night at Camp Ravenwood, but I just didn't have the experience or capability to make it years ago. Now I do.
I'm currently working on finishing the design for a new version of it with a new story, characters, design, and puzzles, but below is what the game looked like over ten years ago.
I look forward to bringing to life a new classic #adventuregame.

https://peoplemaking.games/@ZarateGames/109367080122342691

00afa12c200433f0.png
fb7f3c7556eafffa.png
a788a0910ec56b79.png
15e6fd0050f6b3d5.png
Msg.jpg

Fucking finally, someone who's willing to use the color palette-cycling technique in an actual game. Ofc puzzle design is another matter, but in the art department it already smells incline.

Modron

Arcane
In addition to Burnhouse Lane a couple of other adventure games came out these last couple days.

This one has a demo:

Tried the demo of this one a few next fests ago wasn't that good. Haven't checked to see if it's improved since.

This was previously mentioned here:

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Who would of thought that someone over at PC Gamer plays point and click adventure games but both The Case of the Golden Idol and The Excavation of Hob's Barrow got nominated for their game of the year. Ignore the typo in the web address:
https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gamer-nominees-goty-2023/

Suppose I should point out some releases in recent days as long as I am here

This guy https://twitter.com/zlohlednihcs has been teasing an adventure game for a while now and finally starting to put out some more info

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This just got released. Kind of unfortunate timing with the Steam sale going on.

Highly recommend this, at least as good as Hobs Barrow and Nightmare Frames (my other favorites this year) - I think the puzzles in this are better than anything we've gotten in a few years, art is Lucasarts level. :incline: Play in classic mode.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why do you recommend classic mode? What I've read so far classic is that it's pretty annoying with stuff being too hidden and timed sequences to be too unforgiving. I ask because I haven't played much as of yet and would consider restarting in classic if indeed it's the better choice.

I'm not sure exactly what modern-mode does since I didnt try it. The main thing the game does that seemed slightly unfair was hiding items behind the 'right-click' look descriptions of very common background stuff, which you learn pretty early in the game... so if you just make a habit of right clicking on everything, you're fine. I enjoyed that exploration, and the unique dialogs are good. I had a couple of these stump me for 20 minutes or so, but that's on me for missing them. I had no issue with the timed puzzles at all (couple attempts).

Last edited:
Why do you recommend classic mode? What I've read so far classic is that it's pretty annoying with stuff being too hidden and timed sequences to be too unforgiving. I ask because I haven't played much as of yet and would consider restarting in classic if indeed it's the better choice.

I'm not sure exactly what modern-mode does since I didnt try it. The main thing the game does that seemed slightly unfair was hiding items behind the 'right-click' look descriptions of very common background stuff, which you learn pretty early in the game... so if you just make a habit of right clicking on everything, you're fine. I had a couple of these stump me for 20 minutes or so, but that's on me for missing them. I had no issue with the timed puzzles at all.
Yeah, I'm used to right-click everything in the game screens so it that's the only thing I see no problem. I was more worried about timed puzzles. If they are not too wild I think I'll play it classic style too. Thanks!

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

In Flames is a 2D adventure with lots of puzzles and an immersive storyline.
It is set in the 80s rural America with all the features you'd expect -- a spooky town, characters with well-developed back stories, and a great mystery to solve.
Finn Clayton finds himself chained to a tree in the middle of a crisis, and is about to find out what is going on.

Modron

Arcane
A free adventure game just landed on steam:

Edit: Scrap Riders came out as well:

Last edited:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

I saw this while browsing recent Linux native releases on Steam. Is it any good? Any SJW shit? It looks the part of the games its supposed to be mimicing, an absolute rarity, but adventure games are such a variable genre.

Just finished Lucy Dreaming, I can confirm that there is no SJW shit except for one small comment (If you show an item to a certain character, she comments some shit about toxic masculinity). But I didn't encounter anything else.
As for the game, it's easier than Thimbleweed Park but not insultingly easy. I got stuck a few times. Unlike TP you control the main character and 2 toy dream companions (you can have 1 each time in dream worlds).

The challenge here is that you need to interact with reality and manipulate the elements of dream worlds. It is well executed.
There are also plenty of hotspots to examine (there is a hotspot indicator but honestly you don't need it). The art style is nice and items appear crystal clear, I recommend not using it. Hotspot indicators are for decline enablers faggots like sigard.

The only negatives are that a few puzzles were hinted too much, and the wtf ending. It took me around 8 hours to finish. If anyone needs something new to fix his sanity after RtMI, this is the shit.

Also there's a nice Rush reference

Rush.jpg

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
A few things have come these last couple days:

A charming side scroller, has a demo.

Seems like a mix of point and click adventure with some papers please inspiration, has a demo.

This one comes out in a few days, it has a demo as well.

Edit forgot to mention this thing came out as well a few days ago

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Tachyon Dreams 3 should come out tomorrow: https://cosmicvoid.itch.io/tachyon-dreams-iii-the-rancid-buttermilk-from-andromeda

Splittown got a demo (on steam)

Looks like a handful of point and clicks are landing on kickstarter in the next weeks:

Roots in the Sky, the sequel to The Hand of Glory, on 30th: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aprod/roots-in-the-sky-the-hand-of-glory-2

Death Corp on 6th of February (has a demo on Steam): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deathcorp/death-corp-point-and-click-adventure

The Will of Arthur Flabbington no date yet that I can see: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guga2112/the-will-of-arthur-flabbington-voiceover (hopefully this means better voice overs)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom