Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
came across this while scraping the bottom of steam for games, it's not new but it's new to me and that counts right? It looks interesting and nobody has mentioned it afaict

One reviewer said it tries to be like an "ICOM adventure"

WallaceChambers

Learned
New trailer for Between Horizons

2022_10_BETWEEN_HORIZONS_STEAMSTORE.gif

About the game​

Between Horizons is set aboard the Zephyr, humanity's first generation ship en route to another star. You assume the role of Stella, who was born on the ship 24 years ago and recently inherited her father's post as Chief of Security. Dive into the conspiracy behind the incident that threatens to disrupt the Zephyr's social order and foil its mission.

Between Horizons is a modern 2.5D pixel art adventure that brings a branching narrative into a semi-open world. The team at DigiTales has applied numerous lessons from their first game Lacuna and proven solutions to detective game design problems to maximize player agency in the investigation process – all the while maintaining the tight pacing of a meaningful story that will ask you to reevaluate your moral compass and make increasingly tough decisions as the situation aboard the ship spirals out of control.

between-horizons_gameplay-gif-01_616p-compressed.gif

Features​

• A New Kind of Experience: Between Horizons merges investigative-style gameplay with a branching sci-fi story in an ever-expanding Metroidvania-style environment.
  • Solving Cases for Yourself: The flexible evidence system lets players assign clues to cases, confront ship denizens about them, and submit any case with evidence players have connected to it. Everything found on the ship is connected, but figuring out how — that’s the challenge.
  • At What Cost?: Underneath the game's exciting and plausible sci-fi plot lies a number of thought-provoking problems inviting players to weigh intergenerational responsibility against personal freedom.
  • Getting New Perspective: Timeless pixel art mixed with 3D environments and compelling visual effects come together in Between Horizons, creating a unique, beautiful art style.
  • Failure is Very Much an Option: There are no second chances — submitting wrong solutions means the story will go on and players live with the consequences. A new and improved auto-save system will make sure there is no going back, as the story branches and endings are based on player decisions, none of which can be taken back.
between-horizons_gameplay-gif-02_616p-compressed.gif

V_K

Arcane
The blurb makes it sound suspiciously like a Disco-clone, but the longer description seems more interesting. I wonder how many people will buy it based on the former and get severely disappointed.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
  • Failure is Very Much an Option: There are no second chances — submitting wrong solutions means the story will go on and players live with the consequences. A new and improved auto-save system will make sure there is no going back, as the story branches and endings are based on player decisions, none of which can be taken back.
Interesting design choice in 2022, I wonder how much that means though?

Modron

Arcane
Plot of the Druid hit early access and is getting doled out on a chapter by chapter basis

Some other releases over the past couple days

WallaceChambers

Learned

Trailer for the new Sherlock game, it's a remake of one of their older titles but seems to retain the newer style of deduction based puzzles and branching cases.

WallaceChambers

Learned

train_opt.gif

Amy’s brother is dead. She hadn't even seen him in years.

Thomas has always been a little eccentric. Obsessed with lucid dreaming and the concept of other worlds. All a little too fantastical for a small town vet like Amy herself.

But then Amy comes across his journals. And what at first seems like the ramblings of a troubled mind slowly begin to seem more and more plausible. Maybe her brother was right about everything. And maybe, just maybe… he isn’t actually dead.

Deep Sleep: Labyrinth of the Forsaken is a point-and-click horror adventure from veteran developer scriptwelder, and a standalone entry into the cult classic Deep Sleep series. Guide Amy deeper into the world of dreams, using the power of her mind to shape her surroundings and overcome challenges and puzzles. Explore landscapes both beautiful and terrifying in your search to uncover the truth about her brother.

But there’s a darkness lurking within the mazes of these other worlds. It knows Amy is there. And it’s very, very interested in finding her.

fireplace_opt.gif

Features:​

• Solve puzzles and defeat foes using the ability to shape Amy’s dreams around her
  • Explore nightmarish and otherworldly environments with elements of randomized design
  • Improve and unlock new skills for Amy to help keep her alive and make her stronger
  • Encounter bizarre and dangerous beings who could be friend, foe… or both
  • Multiple endings and secrets to find, if you survive the beings hunting you
  • A brand new soundtrack from composer Christopher Carlone

furnace_opt.gif

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

Features:
  • A first person point and click adventure game.
  • Trademark Glitch humour and puzzles that will leave you screaming at us.
  • No in app purchases.
  • The Glitch Camera to help you solve puzzles and keep track of clues.
  • Lots of clues to find and puzzles to solve.
  • A beautiful soundtrack and immersive sound effects.
  • A full Hint System to help you if you get stuck.
  • 9 save slots, share the game with your family!
  • Auto-saves your progress!

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nov 29th

New game from maker of Metaphobia

Signal & Echo: Iris is Missing (demo)

Update on Crystal Shard's Sir Bob: Squire for Hire
sirbob1.jpg

In Arthurian legend, meet Sir Launcelot the Brave! Sir Sagramore the Just! And Sir... Bob... who I'm sure has a great personality!

Take the role of the eager but clumsy squire Bob; as nobles, soldiers, and the Lady of the Lake all say you're too wimpy to become a Knight. Can you prove them wrong?

sirbob2.jpg

This lighthearted adventure game features well-known and lesser-known characters from Arthurian legend, taking inspiration from the famous classics and offering fun for all ages. Any similarity to any person actually named Bob, or for that matter Launcelot, is purely coincidental.

A work in progress. Art and animation by Fizzii, story and script by yours truly.

sirbob3.jpg

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Missed that Rusty Lake's newest game came out a couple of days ago, seems like a coop only kind of affair though sadly:

WallaceChambers

Learned

Dordogne is a narrative adventure game in which you play as Mimi, a young woman visiting the house of her recently deceased grandmother who left her letters and puzzles to solve. To do so, Mimi will revisit her childhood memories and reconnect with the little girl who marveled at everything.

New trailer for the exceptionally beautiful Dordogne, was starting to worry this game was abandonware. Glad to see it'll be coming out spring 2023.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Elation For The Wonder Box 6000

ss_07128b414b169568e28525fd1f43336de951218c.600x338.jpg
ss_5c374d8d1061fe3ae5f5e6ead3a0c09af2ed8c27.600x338.jpg

You're experiencing anhedonia so severe you've attained a level of spiritual rigor mortis. You want to be satisfied, but the only thing that would sate you is a game from your youth, released exclusively on a console that never sold, to a marketplace that ignored it. You played it, though, and it was foundational to You. You remember it, but nobody else does; not your fellow forum posters, not the man who lives in your walls, no one. You set out to the city to see if you can find a copy.
  • Freely explore a dense and open section of the local urban consumer metropolis. Experience all of it's psychic atmospheres, from the highest vantage points to the seedy under-bellies, and the convenience store.
  • Uncover secrets
  • Engage in direct, violent culture jamming
  • Meet various wastoids , sleazoids, and paranoids. Break bread and talk philosophy, politics, and most importantly, the underappreciated classic for the Wonderbox 6000, Elation
  • God (or GOD, or god, or G.O.D.) is real, and the citizens of the city aren't all in agreement as to what they're up to.
  • Thousands of frames of real, live clay animation
  • Solve some puzzles
  • Indulge in mindless pleasures
  • Satisfy all desires, physical, intellectual, carnal, spiritual; all of them.
  • Consult the man who reads fortunes in the wrinkled skins of past-ripe fruit for help. It's better than being stuck, after all.
  • Take some time to enjoy a nice show.
  • Make purchases

Modron

Arcane
Octavi Navarro announced another Midnight Scenes installment a few days ago

You can see further teases on his twitter since then.

Edit: Suppose I should use this post to point out some releases that nobody mentioned as well:

Some short free walking sim

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-a-bunch...putrid-brilliant-horror-adventure-sanitarium/

How a bunch of art school grads made putrid, brilliant horror adventure Sanitarium​

An oral history of DreamForge’s 1998 adventure hit Sanitarium.

As was the case for a lot of '90s adventure games, the small team at DreamForge making point-and-click horror adventure Sanitarium had mostly no idea what they were doing.

Most of them were fresh art school grads, and studio leadership was only a little older. When the game debuted in 1998, the narrative-driven horror market was already filled with Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Phantasmagoria, and The 7th Guest. Sanitarium(opens in new tab) was a little different. It was still within the familiar, tried-and-true adventure genre that DreamForge already had experience working in (Veil of Darkness had been first other big horror hit), but with a psychological peg.

Sanitarium was one of the first point-and-click adventures I'd played that felt like a natural extension of '80s and early '90s pop culture—a real product of its time that paid homage to everything from classic science fiction to old Zippy the Pinhead comics.

The journey begins with a jarring opening cinematic of a man in a terrifying car accident (it was originally synced to Metallica's "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" in hopes that the team could get the rights to the song, which very sadly didn't happen). Max wakes up in the sanitarium—a distinctive, labyrinthine round tower that drew me in the second I started playing—with his head wrapped in bandages. He has no idea who he is, and after yet another accident, finds himself tumbling down a rabbit hole of fantastical "episodes" or realms where he must struggle to make sense of his identity, his trauma, and figure out how to escape.

The problem is, Max isn't quite sure what's real, and what isn't.

After the game shipped, a new DreamForge staffer approached writer/artist/designer Mike Nicholson to tell him how much they appreciated the circular room design and its relationship to psychological theory. "As much as I wanted to accept the compliment, unfortunately, I had to explain that the only reason why the opening area was circular was that when we first started to design the space, it was rectangular," says Nicholson. "Our boss saw it and said the square play space looks too antiquated/traditional to isometric adventure games. To placate him I redesigned the area to be a big circle instead."

According to Nicholson, Sanitarium was truly a case of a bunch of young devs with little-to-no experience determined to make a fun game that they wanted to play themselves. Back then there weren't really standard playtesting practices, so they also relied on each other to fine-tune the game.

"My entry into game development was a case of being in the right place at the right time," says Nicholson, who, in 1994, was working at a small ad agency in Pittsburgh. While job-hunting in the classifieds, his then-girlfriend spotted an ad from a local computer game developer. "They were looking for a fantasy artist to make video game art. No experience necessary," he says. "I went to the interview with my sketchbook and a lot of enthusiasm. Thankfully that was enough back then for me to get my foot in the door. It felt like I had found a winning lottery ticket, and in many ways, I still feel like I did."

Meeting after work hours, the fledgling Sanitarium team discussed shared interests to figure out what kind of game they wanted to make. They loved the "episodic and wildly creative aspects of the classic Twilight Zone" and "creepy movies like Jacob's Ladder." Eventually they landed on the idea of a hub-based narrative so they could really branch out with the themes and locations.

And branch out they did—my favorite chapter of the game was The Hive, an far-future alien landscape full of fleshy organic gristle and insectoid cybernetics (where there are bugs, of course, there is also the obligate Starship Troopers quote). There's an almost claymation-style quality to the characters here, with one of the most gorgeous puzzles adventure gaming has ever seen. It began as one of Nicholson's ink drawings before the art team translated it into 3D. "I wanted to design a puzzle that fits into the area, and I was fond of the idea of having light pass through the insect wings to reveal patterns," he says.

Dreamforge at the time was in the town of Jeanette, Pennsylvania, just outside Pittsburgh, home to a well-known glass factory whose abandoned ruins became a driving inspiration behind some of the game's scenes. The fictional decaying town full of mutant children is named Genet, which sounds almost biblical. In Nicholson's words, Jeannette was a "depressed small town" with the enormous ruined specter of the Jeannette Glass Factory looming over it—a mood that also affected the team's work commute.

On one of his dark drives home, Nicholson finally came up with the cross-section dollhouse diorama concept for the Mansion chapter of the game—a chapter that got one of the devs, someone Nicholson considered a stoic sort of fellow, teary-eyed and choked up.

"Inspiration can hit at any time I suppose, and for reasons I honestly can't recall, it was that late evening drive that did it," he says. "The next day I brought the idea to the team, and they loved it with almost no changes to the idea. It's been my experience in game development that this situation doesn't happen very often and that's probably why I still remember it to this day."

Sanitarium doesn't consistently hit those highs; it isn't exactly a bastion of realism when it comes to ancient Aztec culture and some of the finer points of mental health. The games industry of 1998 was still relatively fresh and experimenting with evolving visual technology, evolving practices, and storytelling methods. All of this makes Sanitarium a genuinely engaging time capsule of the very distinct cluster of interests and influences that went into it.

"Our research was, to put it plainly—fairly shallow," Nicholson admits with a laugh. He also remembers the difficulty of finding a publisher who was open to having what was essentially a "faceless" protagonist. "At one point the feedback we received was that players wouldn't be able to identify with the main character of Max because his head was wrapped in bandages and they suggested we remove them. Considering the story and the huge reveal at the end of the game with Max's bandages coming off, you can imagine our response to that."

When I ask Nicholson about what he could have done differently, the first thing he says is that he would have gotten himself some real management training. "I made so many dreadful mistakes it's truly a miracle the game made it across the finish line," he says. "I benefited from an otherworldly and arguably undeserved amount of patience from my team and studio leadership, and for that, I will be eternally grateful."

On the creative side of things, he would've liked to go deeper.

"My design sense was based almost entirely on my life experiences up to that point, and at age 28 when we started, it was admittedly not all that much," he says. "Were Sanitarium to be designed today I'd like to think narratively it would have a broader scope and more depth to the characterization." Nicholson went on to focus on UI/UX work—he spent 14 years at Blizzard working on the Diablo 3 UI and art for other games. He still keeps up to date with adventure games.

"I enjoyed the narrative design and presentation of games such as The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and What Remains of Edith Finch," he says. "If we were ever afforded the opportunity to pursue a sequel to Sanitarium, I'd like to think it would take a similar approach." In the meantime, Sanitarium exists as an unparalleled example of late '90s game art that wasn't afraid to get weird and raise the aesthetic bar for the adventure genre as a whole.

The Hive scene where antagonist Gromna is giving a "televised" speech, complete with fascist rally footage flanking a giant, semi-translucent wasp torso, is the good stuff.

In the town of Genet, each mutant child's portrait was a labor of love.

And those writhing maggot beds. The fleshy door-lock puzzle studded with clear mucus pods.

Revisiting this strange, messy realm—almost a visual anthology with the way you move through different themes and styles—is a breath of refreshingly putrid air, and if you too have never felt like photorealism was the path to better game worlds, it's well worth remembering.

Modron

Arcane
Some kind of free third person adventure game with stealth and action segments set in World War 2 Hungary.

Cosmic void are teasing their next game more often now, seems like they are a well oiled machine over there.

The Black Hawk is almost funded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom