Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The rumors of Obsidians death have been greatly exaggerated!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
It's going to be the most SERIOUS!! review ever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Know anyone who does it any better in this day and age?"

Bioware.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Actually I have to agree with Volourn on this one
ME was better than SoZ, considering that both games were basically copy-pasta-fest - ME at least had a very bad, cliche - but a story. And much bigger levels.

Both developers suck however.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
skyway said:
Actually I have to agree with Volourn on this one
ME was better than SoZ, considering that both games were basically copy-pasta-fest - ME at least had a very bad, cliche - but a story. And much bigger levels.

Both developers suck however.

Both those games had VASTLY different budgets.

Considering the very very small budget for SoZ, they did a pretty good job.

To make a better comparison was KotOR2 better than KotOR? Yes.

Was NWN2 better than NWN? Yes.

Both games had similar budgets and the same publisher.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MotB had low budget obviously too - as it is an expansion - so "low budget" is not an excuse for Obsidian getting very lazy with SoZ. They managed to do in MotB much more varied world than in SoZ where it felt like the same 2-room basement was copypasted throughout the whole map. Modders without budgets do better job.
Besides judging by Mass Effect's poor graphics (except people faces textures and detail were quite mediocre), copy-pasted planets, terrible voice-actors, the exactly same 3d models being recycled over and over - ME has the lowest budget out of all Bioware games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
skyway said:
MotB had low budget obviously too - as it is an expansion - so "low budget" is not an excuse for Obsidian getting very lazy with SoZ. They managed to do in MotB much more varied world than in SoZ where it felt like the same 2-room basement was copypasted throughout the whole map. Modders without budgets do better job.
Besides judging by Mass Effect's poor graphics (except people faces textures and detail were quite mediocre), copy-pasted planets, terrible voice-actors, the exactly same 3d models being recycled over and over - ME has the lowest budget out of all Bioware games.

There is NO WAY to compare ME to SoZ. Even if ME was Bio's "low budget game" it's budget was around 10x higher than SoZ's was. You are completely off your rocker in comparing the 2.

Also MotB's budget was way way higher than SoZ. I can understand your disappointment of SoZ, in comparison to MotB, but based on their budget for it, I felt they did pretty good. If SoZ had had the same budget as MotB, then well yes, then I'd agree with you.

Black

Arcane
Whatever it is I hope it will feature turn-based combat and it won't be dumbed-down.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Jedi_Learner said:
Biowhore? Don't make me laugh!

Jedi do you like any RPG?

because obsidian, troika, black isle, and bioware have made pretty much all the rpgs of the past decade.

or do you like bethesda?

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
In before Bioware finally releases a new good RPG.

Vaporware??

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Jaesun said:

what about mods ? i thought both Sublety of Thay and Pools of Radiance remastered were roughly as long as SoZ and better in almost every area (aside from not having 1000s of meaningless skillchecks or badly excuted trading & overland minigames). Both were done by single people in their free-time, so not much budget there either. Not to talk of certain NWN1 mods.....

MetalCraze

Arcane
Besides it isn't like Obsidian was forced to create something new - they only did an overland map coding basically - nearly all tiles, models, textures, animations, other assets were already made earlier for MotB and OC. I don't know what budget SoZ had - but judging by how everything in it was on such a small scale (2-room dungeons, copy-pasted taverns in non-existent "towns", no real writing etc) it is either ridiculously poor design or the budget was non-existent.
Bioware still had to create more for ME than Obsidian did for SoZ.

@Jaesun:
I understand your point about budgets, however SoZ was too much of an uninspired copy-pasta with everything unfinished/quickly made (considering that assets were there) for any budget. They even reused the ship from OC at the start and didn't bother to set sails on it - but ship still swimmed.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
ricolikesrice said:
Jaesun said:

what about mods ? i thought both Sublety of Thay and Pools of Radiance remastered were roughly as long as SoZ and better in almost every area (aside from not having 1000s of meaningless skillchecks or badly excuted trading & overland minigames). Both were done by single people in their free-time, so not much budget there either. Not to talk of certain NWN1 mods.....
These mods must have had a bigger budget than SOZ !

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
ricolikesrice said:
Jaesun said:

Subtlety of Thay was very good, unfortunately the story is unfinished and odds are that will never change.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Trash said:
Mask of the Betrayer was awesome.
I'm not buying Neverwinter Nights II again just so I can play an add-on. Regardless, MotB uses the same poorly optimized engine and the same crappy combat. I tortured myself through the combat in Arcanum, you really think I want to go through something like that again?

Trash said:
Also, sausages.
:D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
'To make a better comparison was KotOR2 better than KotOR? Yes.

Was NWN2 better than NWN? Yes."

No.

Deleted member 7219

Volourn said:
'To make a better comparison was KotOR2 better than KotOR? Yes.

Was NWN2 better than NWN? Yes."

No.

Yes.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jedi_Learner said:
Trash said:
Mask of the Betrayer was awesome.
I'm not buying Neverwinter Nights II again just so I can play an add-on. Regardless, MotB uses the same poorly optimized engine and the same crappy combat. I tortured myself through the combat in Arcanum, you really think I want to go through something like that again?

Trash said:
Also, sausages.
:D

Well you Sir suck if you are not willing to make a few sacrifices to get a chance to play one of the best RPG experiences, sins Troika died, then maybe you should go hang out with a more simple crowed like the HALO fanboys.

You would fit right in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom