Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Well... ~93% of content is soloable (including the main storyline) and I'd argue game's more enjoyable that way.

As long as you're fine without some lore from dungeons/raids (in-game collectibles - you can still read it on wiki and shit) - multi is optional.

I thought the main gripe with the game was that it's an MMO, but not because it's "multiplayer" - only that it has crappy MMO combat.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game has horrible combat, the engine is horrible and probably one of the worse engines ever developed for an mmorpg, most modern computers even the ones far surpassing the recommended specs will struggle with this piece of shit.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Game has horrible combat, the engine is horrible and probably one of the worse engines ever developed for an mmorpg, most modern computers even the ones far surpassing the recommended specs will struggle with this piece of shit.
My 6 year old can play it with sliders at 3/4 (4 doesn't add much except a bit longer view and some bonus lighting) - doesn't die even on world boss fights. I don't spazz out when framedrops goes below 30 though.

DA2FB291676578587757FEEED9AEC1C3F8509DE6

If only you could try the game for free for let's say... 10 days to see if it plays well on your PC....

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My 6 year old can play it with sliders at 3/4 (4 doesn't add much except a bit longer view and some bonus lighting) - doesn't die even on world boss fights. I don't spazz out when framedrops goes below 30 though.

If only you could try the game for free for let's say... 10 days to see if it plays well on your PC....

I've played it though tokyo and the performance has been consistently bad, for such mediocre visuals.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

I've played it though tokyo and the performance has been consistently bad, for such mediocre visuals.
I don't notice a drop in performance in Tokyo. Art-wise it has a more sterile look, don't know if by design or by not polishing it enough (c wat i did there).

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm really enjoying this game. It really does appear to be "soloable", but finding a group every now and again would be nice. The story is where it is at. I like finding out how to solve the quests too.

I've never been a big MMO fan since I was burned by Vanguard, missed out on WoW's prime, and missed the City of Heroes train by a few years, but this one might keep my interest until it crashes and burns suddenly.

when you reach tokyo you have shit equipment and no shield. to get a shield you have to go where you don't know to do something you are not prepared to do and without some mandatory equipment like a frigging shield.
in tokyo grouping is mandatory.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
when you reach tokyo you have shit equipment and no shield. to get a shield you have to go where you don't know to do something you are not prepared to do and without some mandatory equipment like a frigging shield.
in tokyo grouping is mandatory.
Shit equipment? Since at least 2015 you can get to 10.9.5 without ever doing any group content.

No shield? Pretty sure you don't need the shield in the beginning, just the controllers (which you get from a quest).

And it's hard in the beginning, it's something to challenge advanced players (at least for a while) - but grouping is not mandatory.

I soloed Tokyo until I got to 1.9 - way before token streamlining, when you had to do Tokyo quests to get Tokyo gear. I started grouping for Penthouse to get 2.0 upgrades, but now you can just buy everything with tokens gained doing some mundane stuff :)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
So got this through the humble bundle. I heard ARPG quests are good but combat is bad. Is there any codex presence in the game?

DeepOcean

Arcane
So got this through the humble bundle. I heard ARPG quests are good but combat is bad. Is there any codex presence in the game?
Depends on your tolerance, combat is standard MMO crap with awful animations to boot but the game world is quite engaging, there are really high points but keep in mind, are you a guy that get frustrated easily at puzzles? Do you like the idea of googling outside the game for obscure references? Can you tolerate backtracking? Can you tolerate simplistic gameplay?

There are really, really awesome moments, Solomon Island, the first area, in particular, but there will be ALOT of bullshit to try out your patience. I fucking love some brillant ideas this game has, as you already has it, recommend you to play all Solomon Island content and by the time you reach Egypt or you will be in loved with the game or uther bored by it, I gave up three times before reaching Transylvania. The combat is indeed all the bad people are talking about, especially bad in comparison with new MMOs that are implementing more actiony combat systems

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom