Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So, to do some catching up as the Codex underwent it's facelift... I got Arcania for $5 (I know, sue me). Today I'm considering Space Pirates and Zombies at $2.50 but it's not the kind of game I'm wild about so I might just wait to see if it's in an indie bundle. Two Worlds 2 still too much for me to bite on as I have enough tepid ARPGs to playthrough right now.

Multi-headed Cow

I won Train Simulator 2012 after I bought it (GABENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!) and won Demolition INC after I bought it (GABENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!), but was able to trade Train Sim for Solar 2 which seems vaguely neat. Haven't traded Demolition INC yet but I've kinda enjoyed what I've played of it.
Also won Chantelise, which I'm torn on either trading or attempting to play since there have been some positive Codex rumblings. But anime. And won Gemini Rue which I've already got from some indie bundle so I'll either trade it or give it away.

I bought the latest X3 expansion for some stupid reason, I guess because I always think I'd like that game and then never actually play it. Also picked up Aaaaaa for the Awesome because I enjoyed the original Aaaaa and thus far Dejobaan games haven't been in indie bundles, and it was $2.50 so what the hell. Overall this Christmas sale has seemed a bit weak. The game giveaways are vaguely cool, but the actual deals for the most part haven't been as good. There are still some good deals, like SPAZ for $2.50 is nice, but compared to previous Steam Christmas sales where they had 5 indie games for $5 bundles it isn't really cutting the mustard. Unfortunately this means I'm spending far less on this Steam sale than I had money to burn on it, so I'm doing horrible things like eyeballing KotOR MMO which I REALLY SHOULD NOT GODDAMN BUY.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Played SPAZ for an hour, seems solid. Reminds a bit of space rangers but it's mostly different in all aspects. Hoping that it won't get repetitive.

Multi-headed Cow

SPAZ is repetitive as FUCK. Prepare yourself to do the same things you have been doing for hours and hours more, slowly getting larger ships until you eventually reach the point where nothing is a challenge and you're just plowing through missions to reach the end which you don't even know why you want to reach the end because your prize for all that grinding is more Totalbiscuit voice acting and AAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Humppaleka

Cipher
But is SPAZ any good? I enjoyed the demo pretty much, seemed like a solid coffee-break game.

Otherwise, pretty bad sales for the last days, picked up Terraria 4-pack for some co-op action and Gothic 3 just to know what the fuss is about (have steered clear of it until now), now I'll buy HoI 3 and DLC, considering SPAZ... That's about it.
Would buy Two Worlds 2 again if I didn't own it. :troll:

Multi-headed Cow

Even though it's grindy as fuck it's mostly ok. The basic feel of the combat is nice, and if you like watching numbers get bigger it has that draw too. Even with my bitching about the grinding I still played it to the end. Dunno if I'll play through it again or not, but at $2.50 it's definitely worth it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There have been a few deals I've considered but ultimately decided to wait for better discounts. Those 66% ones are annoying! Would have grabbed Bastion at $3.75 and TW2 if it and the expac were like $15 bundled. Can't believe they won't go down to $5 on TW1. Probably just get it off of GOG at that price. Unfortunately even with three or four days left they've already cycled through every major title on my wishlist except Deathspank (which never gets discounted past 50%) and Dead Island (which they'll probably only take down to $15). Maybe DAO sub $10.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I have -50% off FrozenByte and -50% off Shadowgrounds.,, Awesome. Snagged HL-2 and Ep.1 which I already own. -50% of Dirt 3 (??) and got a free copy of the naval sim(?) Dangerous Waters.

Not a bad deal all in all. I was gonna pick up that tower-defense, 4-player game until I saw they were DLC whoring. So I got Worms instead which has been great. Put 10+ hours into Avadon. That's probably been the best pick-up so far.

Angthoron

Arcane
Bah, of course Serious Sam 3: BFE is on a 50% sale after I bought it with just the goddamned preorder discount.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Despite my many earlier rants about never buying a steam game again, I caved in and bought the new Serious Sam. It was a little cheaper than in my favourite potatoshop and at least I won't have to fucking wait for it till the mid of january (POTATOLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND).

Still, lacking a box sucks. And trying to install it and getting 'STEAM SERVERS CURRENTLY BUSY LOL' sucks too. STEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM. Last time I bought a game using you, you piece of shit.

Still, I guess I ain't regretting the purchase so far. Game seems pretty serious after first two levels :M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bought a few games. Batman: Arkham City for one, all the Mount and Blade shit for another. Impressed with the prices so far but there haven't been many games that I really felt like picking up.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Got Bastion, Gemini Rue, Machinarium, King's Bounty: Crossworlds and the new Serious Sam.

Bastion seems pretty fun, tested it for a while. King's Bounty is the shit, tried Armored Princess once and liked it so I'm expecting good times. Gemini Rue had some weirdness going on that it enables mouse acceleration on full screen, had to tweak mouse settings in windows (enhanced pointer precision, which, turns out, means mouse acceleration, I'VE BEEN POPA THIS WHOLE TIME) , but now my mouse feels funky, fuck this will take some time to get used to.

Anyways, Machinarium, turns out it's made in FUCKING FLASH, at least it cost me only a few euros. I'll play it though, but wouldn't have bought it otherwise if I would've known.

And Serious Sam, oh yeah.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's even more fun when your singleplayer game is already installed but Steam refuses to run it because its servers are busy...
Well, then you can just go into offline mode. Pain in the ass, yes but at least you can still play it. Not all DRM systems give you that luxury.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom