Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Caim

Arcane

Picked this game up and have been playing it nonstop. To me this is what the 3d zelda series should be..

Like a 3D Zelda mixed with Pathologic, except it's made by Norwegians.

Elthosian

Arcane
Gathered 25 euros from selling steam cards, added some cash and bought bunch of stuff.
Did you have 12K cards to sell or something?
More like around 1000, I didn't sell any cards in years, and I scrounged humble bundle and gamersgate for all unactivated games and used idler to add more cards.

Also found several games that I forget I owned and I planned to buy like Overload and Hrot.

Edit:
Forget to mention, I got a bunch of silver cards and sold them alone for some half of the money I earned.

Did you use a browser plugin or something? I've sold a few from the sale and recently set up the Idle thingie but can't see myself spending an hour of my time clicking on shit to get some 10 bucks.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gathered 25 euros from selling steam cards, added some cash and bought bunch of stuff.
More like around 1000, I didn't sell any cards in years, and I scrounged humble bundle and gamersgate for all unactivated games and used idler to add more cards.

Also found several games that I forget I owned and I planned to buy like Overload and Hrot.

Edit:
Forget to mention, I got a bunch of silver cards and sold them alone for some half of the money I earned.

Did you use a browser plugin or something? I've sold a few from the sale and recently set up the Idle thingie but can't see myself spending an hour of my time clicking on shit to get some 10 bucks.

I use Steam Inventory Helper, with it you can put on sale any amount of cards in few clicks.

Beggar

Cipher
ESO.jpg

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Edit:

I use Steam Inventory Helper, with it you can put on sale any amount of cards in few clicks.
Inspired by your experience I used some userscript tool to put all of these card things on sale.

I dunno, it hasn't really worked out. I have a notional £15 (that's about 250 different cards) of these trading cards on sale but a) I got an email about each one as they went on sale b) you have to wait for some weirdo to buy each of them, each transaction grossing ~£0.08 (I get another email each time this happens c) steam takes a cut (?!?!?) so they are somehow making money out of this as well.

I mean would you let someone pay you £10 to send you 500 emails, half of which will appear in my inbox randomly over the next however long this takes?

Deep regrets lads

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Picked this game up and have been playing it nonstop. To me this is what the 3d zelda series should be..

Like a 3D Zelda mixed with Pathologic, except it's made by Norwegians.

Why does it not support controller? I was tempted to get it to play it on Steam Deck.

EDIT: Because programming is hard https://steamcommunity.com/app/1639790/discussions/0/3120424524451732341/?ctp=2

Eh, I may need to bite the bullet and use an emulated mouse.

Since the sale is ongoing I'm going to post this again because it's an interesting tool

https://www.fortressofdoors.com/steam-diving-bell/

You can tell Diving Bell to start with a specific game by adding "?appid=XYZ" at the end of the URL (sans quotes), where XYZ is a specific game's Steam application id. (http://www.tools.fortressofdoors.com/steamdivingbell/?appid=)
tl;dr of instructions

Loose: Loose matches crawl the "more like this" graph for the selected game twice. We get the 12 default matches, and then we grab each of those games' 12 recommendations for a final list of 144 matches. Then we exclude the original default 12 matches from the results as well as any duplicates. This gives us a list of games that are still pretty similar to the selected game, while adding just enough noise to juice the variety a bit.

Reverse: We've already established that every game on Steam points to 12 other games in its "More Like This" section. But what if instead of looking for the 12 games pointed to by Chrono Trigger, we crawl every single game on Steam and see how many games themselves point to Chrono Trigger as one of their 12 games? Let's call that a "reverse match."

Tags: This returns 8 games that Diving Bell considers to be similar to the selected title based entirely on their tags. This tends to favor niche games over popular and well rated ones because the only thing it looks at is the tags.

Hidden Gem: This is my favorite recommendation engine. You might have seen Steam250.com's list of Hidden Gems, or read my article from five years ago proposing such a system. In either case, the idea's the same -- you find games that a) have a low # of total user reviews and b) have a very high user rating. Then, you rank them by a sensible algorithm, adding a penalty to anything with too many user reviews total. What you're left with is a list of extremely well regarded games that haven't gotten much attention -- ie, "hidden gems."

Diving Bell's "Hidden Gem" recommender is derived from the tag recommender, but instead of starting with a pool of games that is basically everything on Steam, I tell it to only consider the top slice of a "hidden gems list." Then I rank the results by their tag similarity to the selected game.

• Default: small number of matches no matter what, favors genre kings
  • Reverse: big game = many matches, niche game = few matches, favors niche
  • Loose: big game = few matches, niche game = many matches, neutral(ish)
Implementation details aside, Diving Bell is never going to be as good as the Interactive Recommender at immediately serving up a dozen great games you want to play right now. This is more of an exploration tool to find things you didn't even know you were interested in.

Diving Bell is highly reliant on extrinsic metadata like tags and to a lesser extent user ratings, whereas Interactive Recommender only cares about player behavior.

Diving Bell's chief strength is its dumbness. It's dead simple, transparent, and predictable, but the results are delightful and surprising. You have complete control over the recommendation systems you want to use, and there's no mystery for why you're getting any particular results. The app doesn't try to pigeonhole you based on previous play history or purchasing habits -- given the same inputs, two different users will get the exact same results. You just give it a game and it tells you what games are similar to that one, and off you go.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Unable to load information about this item.

e: This is why Chinks shouldn't be on Real People Steam.

Dick

Educated
Joking aside, that game doesn't really look that bad. Would play it. There are far far worse games on Steam.

Elttharion

Learned

Edit:
If you dont mind me asking, which idler did you use?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Edit:
Idle Master Extended

Baron Dupek

Arcane
soon

A self-remaster of the 1994 spinoff to TAITO’s 1987 arcade classic, The NinjaWarriors, with The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors, Tengo Project have taken the original console beat ’em up and reimagined it, adding extra moves and combos, two new characters, two-player co-op, fluid, even more hand animated pixel art and an amped up soundscape to boot! It will be available at a 10 percent-off launch week discount, as well as part of a bundle including Pocky & Rocky Reshrined.

Elttharion

Learned

Edit:
Idle Master Extended
Thanks! :salute:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Loved Gex 3 enter the gecko and i remember being fond of Tomba 1 but never beat it as a kid. So good news as far as i'm concerned.

Anyways here is my summer haul:
-Yakuza 3-6 (only missing Like a Dragon from the main series now but after watching videos of it the turn based combat really doesn't appeal to me at first glance)
-Panzer Corps 2-no dlc because jfc do those add up
-40k: Armageddon+blood angels and mordian dlc
-Space haven (had my eye on it for a while so figured why not but having buyers remorse now due to it being an EA game)
- Dungeons 3 to play coop with a friend

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I picked up:
Caves of Lore
The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk + DLC
The Case of the Golden Idol + DLC

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom