Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Tangut Prophecy: FOnline RPG, Historical Fiction, 12th Century China

Cool name

Arcane
KOEI's Bandit Kings of Ancient China, no? I only vaguely know WTF Water Margin is, but I think the game was based around it.

That one does seem pretty cool. :) I'll give the Playstation version a try. Thank you very much.

Lu Bu is overrated.

I did never understood the Lu Bu obsession myself. He is strong, sure, and has a hot wife, okay, but something is clearly wrong when Red Hare does come across as the brains of the team.

Indranys

Savant
Shut your mouth. My adolescent dream is wielding a 81 pound long halberd, riding Red Hare, break through five armies, slaying six famed generals, and banging two of my sisters-in-law. If not possible, I want to dual wield a spear and a sword, riding through ten thousands troops like moses part red sea in chang ban campaign.
Lu Bu is overrated.

:what:

:hmmm:

:kingcomrade:
Now tell me about Zhou Yu. :smug:

I did never understood the Lu Bu obsession myself. He is strong, sure, and has a hot wife, okay, but something is clearly wrong when Red Hare does come across as the brains of the team.
Some people won't get it.
It's just that simple.
It's similar to Alexander obsession.
Or Alexander's obsession to his goddamn horse.
Why Garriott was/is Lord British etc.
Because it's cool. It makes you feel badass, awesome, and superior to be one of them.
Lu Bu without the horse is the same as Boba Fett without his helmet and jet pack.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm pretty confident that there aren't any beyond KOEI games and a couple other 'maybe good' ones, one of the latter was LP's on the Codex, the martial arts themed one.

Koreans are too busy making and playing colourful browser MMO versions of the Romance:

b201105120783782001305188309.jpg

20110321042333479ea.jpg

Yeah, my country sucks ass at making games.

Edit: and spelling, I guess...

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Could be that they're horrifically butchering the Chinese language, trying to translate 地 as 'world' or some shit, to make it 'Three Kingdoms World', a derpy but plausible name for a RotTK MMO.

I mean, after spelling 'heroes' as 'herose', it wouldn't surprise me.

Tigranes

Arcane
Heh. I didn't even notice that. No, we use the proper letters (as in the first pic). The funny part is that we have such a huge portion of the population who know their Chinese characters (and would easily spot the above stupidity), and also a huge portion that is certainly more than good enough at English to pick out HEROSE, but shit like that still makes it in. I have no idea how.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Heh. I didn't even notice that. No, we use the proper letters (as in the first pic). The funny part is that we have such a huge portion of the population who know their Chinese characters (and would easily spot the above stupidity), and also a huge portion that is certainly more than good enough at English to pick out HEROSE, but shit like that still makes it in. I have no idea how.

It adds charm to the games, I guess. :M

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Though it would be awesome to actually have some videogames about Water Margin/水滸傳 instead of just RotTK. :oops: Are there any at all?
What? There are too many if you ask me! Try these titles.

水滸傳之聚義篇

水滸英雄傳火之魂

水滸新傳:天地之風

歡樂水滸傳

水滸傳之梁山好漢

爆笑水滸傳

Then there are loads of MMOs but I figured you probably don't want to play those.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Don't click this.
And speaking of bad Engrish, take a look at this.

201291573596505.jpg

WTF? :lol:
What were they thinking...

And this!
20131522446911.jpg

Yes, I want to LAOD game.:yeah:

We got moar.

56169027201201262356333668497897474_012.jpg

The SEMI gods?

201011210183653750.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

WTF does this even mean? The English title is totally different from the Chinese one.
2010063062018717.jpg

:hero:

ac598ead0ec801000297.jpg

"aLIVE" :salute:

600_392405407290763.jpg

Notice they didn't capitalise the first letter of the word blade. It's like they are trying to say "METEORRRRRRR!!!!!! BUTTERFLYYY!!!!!!!! oh and a blade."

image024_wm.jpg

Yes, you read that right. "The Qin Warrior Great"

01300001217360130629639414802.jpg

"The Forebidden Divnevs"

WTF

:dead:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
At least those embarassment are only digital.

You clearly have not seen the clothing many people wear in China, emblazoned with some rather dubious Western phrases. Some of my current favourites are the "Interrogation: Go the Distance" shirts, and one I forget the exact wording of but pretty much says "I'm a slut", that I've seen on everything from grandmothers to pre-teen girls.

Tigranes

Arcane
Pfft. I love the ones that are deliberately misspelt to avoid copyright issues. My favourite:

"Nike: Just do this."

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
CrazyLoon Your game looks awesome. How much have you spent on the art assets, assuming you didn't do them yourself? And please, don't release this for free. Sell it for $5, I don't care, donate all the dough to charity or watever, but don't give it away for free.

Also, will there be martial arts? What about party members?

CrazyLoon

Prophet
How much have you spent on the art assets, assuming you didn't do them yourself?
Very little.

And please, don't release this for free. Sell it for $5, I don't care, donate all the dough to charity or watever, but don't give it away for free.
Can't promise anything but I'll consider it.

Also, will there be martial arts?
No.

What about party members?
Yes.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
How much have you spent on the art assets, assuming you didn't do them yourself?
Very little.

And please, don't release this for free. Sell it for $5, I don't care, donate all the dough to charity or watever, but don't give it away for free.
Can't promise anything but I'll consider it.

Also, will there be martial arts?
No.

What about party members?
Yes.

Thanks for the reply, but I have to ask: An RPG on ancient China and no unarmed martial arts? Why? This is probably the most fitting setting for an unarmed monk/Soehi type of warrior monk with flying kicks and shit. Nothing fantasy or supernatural ofcourse, just normal kick and punch and trip.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't click this.
And speaking of bad Engrish, take a look at this.

201291573596505.jpg

WTF? :lol:
What were they thinking...

And this!
20131522446911.jpg

Yes, I want to LAOD game.:yeah:

We got moar.

56169027201201262356333668497897474_012.jpg

The SEMI gods?

201011210183653750.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

WTF does this even mean? The English title is totally different from the Chinese one.
2010063062018717.jpg

:hero:

ac598ead0ec801000297.jpg

"aLIVE" :salute:

600_392405407290763.jpg

Notice they didn't capitalise the first letter of the word blade. It's like they are trying to say "METEORRRRRRR!!!!!! BUTTERFLYYY!!!!!!!! oh and a blade."

image024_wm.jpg

Yes, you read that right. "The Qin Warrior Great"

01300001217360130629639414802.jpg

"The Forebidden Divnevs"

WTF

:dead:

Moar pls, shit's hilarious.

oscar

Arcane
Speaking of items, any ideas of the economy of this game? Obviously we're not going to have magic fire swords or the like so what will differentiate low-level to high-level gear? Will a warrior progress from a crude spear and leather armour to ending the game with good quality chainmail/Shan Wen Kai and a Dao or repeater crossbow?

One of the coolest moments in any game was getting your hands on a set of power armour in Fallout 1 and being able to shrug off all but advanced firearms and energy weapons. While obviously not to this degree, do you have anything similar planned for this?

laclongquan

Arcane
GTFO with your martial arts and katana fetish, Andy.
CrazyLoon, please insert Cloud's Sword somewhere in your game.:troll:

That's easy, because Something Cloud sword or Cloud Something Sword is one common item in chinese martial novels. And even with Cloud Sword alone it would raise no eyebrows among Asian fans. Only the western ones will go crazy over that.

ANyway, back to item tier. Since he dont use kungfu techniques or shits, it will be item alone to differentiate combatants.

CrazyLoon, how about making use the classic Treasured Weapons of chinese fables. Gan Yang and Mo Ye Swords? Reforged Blue Dragon Blade (Guan Yu's weapon)? Ruyi Jingu Bang Replica? Kong Ming's Multishot Crossbow Prototype?...

Severian Silk

Graphics look too bright and washed out at the same time. Might want to try a warmer light source and saturate the textures a bit more. 3D models look nice though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom