Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Vanilla Ironman After-Action Report

Gahbreeil

Learned
VD69bxG.jpg

I greet thee, enthusiasts of elder scrolls and forbidden tomes...​

Below, thou shall witness the account of an unlikely fellowship of wanderers, vagabonds, perhaps even thieves, all quite young, whom shall soon witness unspeakable horror. The terror I write of slowly seeps across the land, tainting the minds of the common folk with fear, together with the growing power and influence of the demonic Zuggtmoy. However, the aforementioned demonic influence should be discussed later on as each tale has an ending just as well as a beginning.
The unlikely leader, an elf thief and rogue who managed to gather under his leadership four other adventurers, by the name of Garh did not choose a life of adventure, instead, such a life chose him. And his life as well as fate was quite similar to that of each of his companions. The five, unaware of what mayhap the very next day, wandered the land searching for high adventure and wealth for at least a fortnight before finding a hidden entrance to a tunnel leading underground. Thus, the group followed their leader with hope of finding treasure which would sate their thirst and quench their hunger at the nearest inn as well as help them obtain better equipment with which to defend themselves. After all, danger might lurk behind every shadow.
Walking onwards, slowly, the group descended into the dungeon...

1. Ironman Vanilla playthrough. That means one save and permadeath if you did not play the game.
  2. If a character dies, I continue.
  3. If the party dies, I roll new characters.
  4. I pick the first dice rolls presented as the Ironman difficulty suggests.
  5. I'll be describing the events as if an adventure/lore book. Dialogues and such can be expected.
  6. There will be screenshots.
  7. I will not farm rats in order to succeed.
  8. Should I bother? Would you like to offer any opinion? Is the teaser fun to read? Help me understand what you would like out of the AAR.
  9. If you want in on the team, wait with that opinion for after the first team fails. One character per person, you choose class, race, feats, skills and a name. The name has to fit Greyhawk.
  10. Yes, I played the game before. I managed to get quite far in on Normal and so, figured I'd share my new playthrough on Ironman.

Last edited:

Gahbreeil

Learned
QcAT0s0.jpg

Aerhaster, the cynical, greedy and callous man never allowed other folk to know his true motives.​

Yet as the fellowship reached the end of the stairs down, his true self shined through as he rushed closer to a pedestal in the middle of the chamber where a statue made out of a strange material stood, shrouded in shadows. As he stood in front, appraising the material, he did not pay note to his companions. Most of whom, in truth, were as greedy as him. Garh the elf was their leader, a rogue carrying a longsword and a dagger, weapons with which he was quite proficient. He walked towards Aerhaster and the group followed him deeper into the antechamber of the dungeon. Wiltern, the second fighter in the group beside the aforementioned Aerhaster, was a man to whom most did not matter. Coin, food and drink. Perhaps even the slaughter of another human if there was a need for it, those matters were of importance to him. Beside the three, there were two maidens, an elf and a human. Ariven was a mage and her acquaintance with Garh was the closest relation to friendship between one and another in the group. Jireen was a fifth wheel to the wagon, a cleric of Pelor whom was the only truly kind soul in Garh's fellowship. She was a fool in the eyes of Aerhaster yet he would never state it as he understood his role in the group. So did Jireen, she joined Garh and Ariven believing the two to be different folk than whom they truly were.

b05L28a.jpg

And so, after they searched the entire chamber, they walked towards the door on the right hand side after the thief's whisper. "Right." The command was tangible within his voice although it was no true order as the group was bound only by their lust for gold, with the exception of the cleric, of course. As they walked onwards through a short corridor, Garh leading the fray, prowling, a small air elemental flew out of a room on the end of the passage. Thus, Aerhaster charged forwards and slashed with his great axe, the blade of it slashing the cloud, as if taken from the summer sky, in half. The elemental being vanished, leaving no trace of it's existence behind.

They searched the chamber and found a chest, Garh approached, being the only one capable of disarming traps and opening locks, an eternal hindrance in the lives of all adventurers. He checked the chest for devices yet found no trap and so, began to open the lock upon the wooden chest. And he did, within the minute. Unfortunately for the elf thief, the trap was hidden within the chest and a blade sprung out and cut into his flesh. It was not a deep wound yet he did feel quite foolish, Ariven and Jireen gasped at that moment, surprised moreso than the rogue himself. In two minutes more, the wound was bandaged by the cleric. As for the chest, the group found gold coins, a key and two magical potions within. The elf packed the potions in his backpack, saving what seemed to be a healing elixir for another day. The gold was split between Wiltern and Aerhaster whom both said nothing of the trap nor Garh's chest wound.

Thus, the group walked towards the door that they have left behind, the one on the left, after Ariven suggested the key might fit the lock upon the door if there was one. The three fellows and two maidens walked into the chamber on the left of the dungeon and the sickening smell of rot reached their nostrils. Both of the fighters rushed ahead together as they saw the cause of the putrid smell. The living dead. Wiltern slashed with his bastard sword, from the right to the left, with as much force as he could muster and chopped the zombie's right arm off as it did not even have the chance to turn around to meet it's foes. Aerhaster joined Wiltern a second after the fighter's attack and gripping the hilt of his great axe as tight as he could, slashed from the left to the right, chopping into the neck of the zombie and slaying it.

Wary of danger, the rest of the group waited until Wiltern moved past the other fighter and ran towards the second zombie which he slayed in one thrust of his bastard blade. The maidens left the chamber and observed from behind the door as both Wiltern and Garh joined them while Aerhaster, looking around, shouted to Garh after a moment. "Hand me the key!" The elf threw the key to him and the fighter caught it with his spare hand. Thus, he moved deeper into the shadows of the dungeon's chamber and opened a chest where he found a treasure map pointing to Rainbow Rock. A place unknown not only to Aerhaster yet to the rest of the fellowship as well. Emridy Meadows which lay nearby Hommlet was the place where the group would find the Rock.

And so, the group travelled towards the village of Hommlet where they planned to rest before venturing forth into the wilderness in order to find the place pointed out on the map. In a few days, the group reached Hommlet where they met a drunk going by the name of Elmo. Although the stench of cheap alcohol pervaded him, he carried a battle axe that seemed to be crafted by a master blacksmith as well as shield and chainmail upon him. Garh, after a short conversation both with Elmo and his group, decided to hire the drunk at his own bequest. The price was a two hundred gold coins and a promise of riches in the future.

Before anyone in the group could state a word, Elmo suggested rest at the village inn. The "Welcome Wench" proved to be a well furnished establishment that could boast at least five guests in the common room while it was a mere village tavern with room and board for those willing to pay. Ostler Gundigoot, the innkeep, caused no trouble and wished for none from the fellowship. Thus, the group began to rest in preperation for the quest ahead.

r1XmKwu.jpg

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Gonna be following this. Godspeed and may you cycle through plenty of meatbag heroes. :salute:

I reserve for myself a righteous paladin, my only requirement is that he shouts « My faith is my shield » as much as possible. Does my Codex name fit into Greyhawk?

Gahbreeil

Learned
After a day of rest, the group of adventurers gathered in the common room of the inn once more.​
Garh, intrigued by the appearance of the man sitting in the corner, approached him. The human introduced himself as Furnok, claiming that he was a treasure finder to which Garh's reply was that he and his companions searched for wealth as well. Thus, Furnok proposed that he would join the group yet Garh refused him and instead they drank wine and talked of the area as the human offered to share the rest of his opened bottle. As they drank a fellow in robes approached and introduced himself as Spugnoir the Sage, his quest of finding all scrolls in the area south of Verbobonc where Hommlet stood bringing him to the village.

Spugnoir offered a task to Gahr upon finding out that he was the leader of the four adventurers that accompanied him. The task of scouring and securing a nearby ruined moathouse where, as village gossip stated, bandits established a foothold. As the moathouse was merely a day of travel on foot away, Gahr agreed that his fellowship can defeat whomever occupies the ruined stronghold in order for the sage to be able to search it for anything the party would not need or find. And so, Spugnoir marked the ruins on the elf's map and asked him to bring any scrolls that the group might find to him as he would be waiting for their return in the "Welcome Wench".

Thus, the adventuers walked onwards to the moathouse which lay to the east of Hommlet. The group arrived there in the middle of the night and had to defeat four giant frogs which leapt out of the swamp waters surrounding the small keep. Dead before a minute passed, the slimy giant corpses of the frogs slowly sunk back into the swamp. Advancing with caution, the fellowship found itself surrounded once more, this time by the brigands promised by Spugnoir. In the melee that ensued only Wiltern was wounded before all of the brigands fell, bleeding, to the ground.

ZUWKg6u.jpg

4NjPLKr.jpg

Noticing that Wiltern is wounded, Gahr looked around the courtyard of the moat house and noticed a door leading to a crumbling tower right beside the entrance to the ruins. Jireen healed the fighter with a spell of curing light wounds which gave him enough strength to walk with the rest of the group. And so, they entered the tower where thick cobwebs covered the walls and what seemed to be a stone chest. When the entire group was inside, a giant spider leapt down to land in their midst. Yet the surprise was lost as Ariven dodged when the vile creature tried to bite her. Each one of the group attacked the spider once before it fell.

Xd9mOF7.jpg

By mutual agreement the group decided to rest until noon. Around twelve hours passed before they moved on and into the fortress, climbing the few steps that led to the double doors opposite of the drawbridge. Four dire rats as well as a huge viper in a chamber to the east proved to be no match to the adventurers although Aerhaster was wounded and poisoned by a fang of the overgrown snake. Thus, they decided to rest once more in the tower. When they returned to the inside of the ruins, it was the depth of night. Upon hearing a muffled noise from behind the door straight across the antechamber, Gahr ordered Elmo to open the door. The rest of the group followed close behind.

They found a few brigands led by a barbarian whom proved to be no match for Elmo alone as he stood in the doorway. Ariven cast a magic missile at the leader of the brigands while Elmo prevented them to leave the room where they were preparing to attack the adventurers. The drunk killed two of the brigands by cleaving through them with his battle axe, not once but thrice. All but one were dead while the group suffered no wounds, thus, Aerhaster rushed in and killed the last brigand whom wielded a crossbow and cowered in fear in the corner of the room upon the barbarian falling to Elmo's axe.

Garh, Jireen, Wiltern, Aerhaster and Ariven gained enough experience in melee combat through defeating the brigands that they decided to rest in order to think of tactics and allow Ariven to prepare her spells anew.

r2FgINO.jpg

When the adventurers found an exit into the swamp and a staircase leading down, it did not take long before the group ventured into the bowels of the ruins. There they found an ogre whom was not as easily slain as the brigands upstairs. Gahr, Wiltern and Aerhaster began to attack the monster while Ariven staid back and watched for an opening to cast a spell. Yet after the ray of frost touched the flesh of the ogre, it started swinging it's club wildly in wroth and Jireen was hit. Aerhaster condemned her foolish behaviour while Garh helped her drink two potions of curing light wounds before she regained consciousness. Thus, the cleric of Pelor sat against the wall, trying to regain her senses. Meanwhile, Garh, upon looking around, noticed a door behind which he found two gnomes and an elf. The three were prisoners of the ogre yet raised no cheer upon being rescued. Garh received an unidentified iron ring which one of the gnomes promised to be a symbol and a warrant of friendship between the one whom wears it and all gnomes. The three escaped through the staircase upwards after learning that the path was clear.

Thus, the group moved on while Jireen remained by the corpse of the ogre in order to rest. While the group walked on to explore the parts of the dungeon that seemed to be to the west, she found a cloak of apparent magic properties in a pouch beside the belt of the dead ogre. The adventurers slowly walked forwards, following the sound of gnashing bones and torn flesh. At the source of the sound they found zombies feasting on two corpses which could not be distinguished from the zombies because of the wounds and rot. A rancid stench clung to the ceiling, walls and floor where the living dead gathered. Ariven staid back yet was in peril as well as an ooze dropped from the ceiling just behind her, almost wounding her if not for the help of Elmo who was the only of the men whom heard the sound and rushed to help her. Meanwhile, Garh, Aerhaster and Wiltern fought the best they could against the crowd of animated corpses. All three were wounded yet did not loose consciousness. As for the living dead, all were slain.

ukVAgNL.jpg

And so, the fellowship regrouped and started walking back to the room where the ogre was slain and up on the staircase in order to return to the crumbling tower by the entrance to the keep's courtyard where they would rest for three and a half days, the one's unwounded scouting the courtyard and the swamp for any sign of new foes.

Last edited:

Gahbreeil

Learned
Right, if anyone here likes books, I can try to edit the After-Action Report to be more like a book. It would be fun for me, don't know whether it would be fun for the people watching the playthrough. Because I've written AARs before and there is no way in hell a 5 minute text can compare to an actual thought through story. Reader's choice.

Gonna be following this. Godspeed and may you cycle through plenty of meatbag heroes. :salute:

I reserve for myself a righteous paladin, my only requirement is that he shouts « My faith is my shield » as much as possible. Does my Codex name fit into Greyhawk?
Annord sounds fine by me. You're in first. If you don't care about the order of statistics, I'll choose what is what. This goes out to all of you watching, like in the OP.

Gahbreeil

Learned
After the team regained most of their strength, they walked back into the ruins. They found four dire rats which they quickly killed.​
Deciding to explore the ruins above the ground, the fellowship found a giant tick and a giant lizard, both creatures were no match for the fighters of the group. Thus, they rested for another day and in the depth of night, ventured back into the dungeon. In the direction opposite to the zombie chamber, they found a staircase illuminated by crackling torches set into sconces on the sides of the stairs.

At the bottom of the staircase, the dungeon receded and gave way to a cavern. Exploring their surroundings the group moved to the west where they were surprised by a band of gnolls hiding in a masoned chamber that could not be named a cave. The gnoll leader offered the group a choice, pay the gnolls so that they can escape the ruins or fight to the death. Garh was unwilling to accept the coward's choice yet there were ten gnolls in total. Before he could react however, Aerhaster rushed the gnoll leader and decapitated the vile monster. The battle that ensued saw Ariven use most of her spells, a ray of frost, a magic missile and daze. Regardless, a melee slaughter began.

XFfgrpT.jpg

Elmo, Aerhaster and Wiltern were all gravely wounded yet the team prevailed and achieved victory over the gnolls. Thus, the group escaped the ruins and returned to Hommlet where they rested at the "Welcome Wench" for a week. Afterwards, the group paid a quick visit to Gremag's shop of which they have learned while at the inn. The cloak found in the pouch of the Ogre turned out to be a cloak of elvenkind which Garth gifted to Ariven. Thus, they left Hommlet and returned to the moat house.

Once in the dungeons below the ruins the team moved to the east. There they found a group of bugbears whom did not want to parley akin the gnolls and simply attacked the group. The fellowship was winning the battle yet lost their cleric. Jireen fell gravely wounded and before the fighters and the rogue could dispatch the bugbears, she died because of the two wounds dealt to her. Ariven shed a single tear over her fallen companion, Elmo was visibly saddened as well yet the rest of the group did not make any comment. Only Garh felt slight sorrow as he thought of Ariven whom he woved to protect in his thoughts. Upon gathering the loot, the group opened two side chambers were two bugbears were hiding. Both were slain by Elmo's hand.

OywfLwh.jpg

JVMcaDD.jpg

Venturing further into the caverns connecting the dungeon's chambers, they found a room where three ghouls guarded a chest and a nest, filled with the corpses of their victims. Past a single wound dealt to Aerhaster, the living dead proved to be no match to the group. Thus, the fellowship became stronger and more experienced in dispatching monsters. They scouted a smaller cavern where they found another chest and a pool. As the group learned, the chest was guarded by a giant crawfish which fell Wiltern before the group could slay it. Wiltern was healed with potions and so, they returned to Hommlet where they would rest for four days after finding out that the local church of St. Cuthbert would not ressurect Jireen, a servant of Pelor, unless a donation of a thousand and a four hundred gold pieces would be paid.

Thus, the group asked for the cleric's corpse to be buried which Terjon, the leader of the Cuthbertian community in Hommlet agreed to do for a favour. The favour was to talk to the miller for Myella, the church servant, in order to resolve the problem of due flour shipments. Which they promised to do before retiring to the inn.

QbAXlgf.jpg

Last edited:

Gahbreeil

Learned
After the burial of the Pelorian cleric was performed, the group prepared to move on to the moathouse. That is when a dwarf whose name was Coeur offered to join the fellowship at the "Welcome Wench".​
UCQ2TUT.jpg

The dwarf was a cleric of Obad-Hai and he did not want any coin for joining the party, he offered his help merely for new equipment. Thus, the group returned to the dungeons and caverns below the moathouse. They knew exactly how to proceed and took the southern corridor out of the crossroads in the middle of the entire cavern system. They walked on until they reached a strange chamber with a pentagram and a goat's head carved into the floor. There, there was a way up and out of the dungeons as well as a door. The unaware adventurers opened it to see a corridor and a man whom demanded to know who the group was and what they were doing there. A battle ensued.

zQflBUX.jpg

The foes were slain quite quickly, in the half of a minute of a quick and dangerous melee. And so, the group walked into the chamber at the end of the corridor to find even more soldiers or perhaps, guards. In the combat, no one in the fellowship fell.

1et1CKZ.jpg

Thus, the group moved into the chamber on the right of the barracks where they hoped to find the leader of the brigands. And they did. The man proved to be a spellcaster yet his magic did not help him as he fell to the ground after casting merely two spells, one of which did not work on the fighters of the group. Lareth, for that was the name of the leader of the brigands in the moathouse, promised wealth and power in a place called the Temple of Elemental Evil if the adventurers spared him as he could take them there. The offer was refused and Garh's dagger found it's way into the throat of the brigand mage. The fellowship moved back to Hommlet where they sold most of the loot found in the barracks of the brigands.

Now, that the moathouse was cleared of all foes to Hommlet and to the fellowship, the party returned to what brought them to the region, Emridy Meadows. Upon arriving on the fields, the fellowship saw no one yet as they moved on through the fields, looking for the Rainbow Rock, the undead started crawling up from beneath the ground. All of the group members were hurt yet no one fell. Upon slaying at least twenty skeletons and zombies, they found the treasure, hidden underneath the Rainbow Rock.

BDwJn6b.jpg

Putting everything they found there, pendants, gold chains, a letter to Terjon, even a figurine, into their bags, the fellowship walked onwards, back to Hommlet. Yet on their way, they found a hill giant with a domesticated bear. Before they could think of the situation, the hill giant rushed at them. As he did, they saw the body of a deceased elf clad in mastercrafted armour behind the giant. And although the group almost slayed the bear, the hill giant had his way, wildly clubbing each of the group members while towering above them.

ChlPGpH.jpg

The fellowship did not make it back to Hommlet.

1. Now, that was fun, wasn't it?
  2. I only have one person who wants a character in the game, anyone else?
  3. I will create the rest of the party regardless of whether there are enough people.
  4. I guess 8 more playthroughs, one for each party alignment, is a good idea since no one wants to read the same story twice.

Last edited:

MerchantKing

Learned
After the burial of the Pelorian cleric was performed, the group prepared to move on to the moathouse. That is when a dwarf whose name was Coeur offered to join the fellowship at the "Welcome Wench".​
UCQ2TUT.jpg

The dwarf was a cleric of Obad-Hai and he did not want any coin for joining the party, he offered his help merely for new equipment. Thus, the group returned to the dungeons and caverns below the moathouse. They knew exactly how to proceed and took the southern corridor out of the crossroads in the middle of the entire cavern system. They walked on until they reached a strange chamber with a pentagram and a goat's head carved into the floor. There, there was a way up and out of the dungeons as well as a door. The unaware adventurers opened it to see a corridor and a man whom demanded to know who the group was and what they were doing there. A battle ensued.

zQflBUX.jpg

The foes were slain quite quickly, in the half of a minute of a quick and dangerous melee. And so, the group walked into the chamber at the end of the corridor to find even more soldiers or perhaps, guards. In the combat, no one in the fellowship fell.

1et1CKZ.jpg

Thus, the group moved into the chamber on the right of the barracks where they hoped to find the leader of the brigands. And they did. The man proved to be a spellcaster yet his magic did not help him as he fell to the ground after casting merely two spells, one of which did not work on the fighters of the group. Lareth, for that was the name of the leader of the brigands in the moathouse, promised wealth and power in a place called the Temple of Elemental Evil if the adventurers spared him as he could take them there. The offer was refused and Garh's dagger found it's way into the throat of the brigand mage. The fellowship moved back to Hommlet where they sold most of the loot found in the barracks of the brigands.

Now, that the moathouse was cleared of all foes to Hommlet and to the fellowship, the party returned to what brought them to the region, Emridy Meadows. Upon arriving on the fields, the fellowship saw no one yet as they moved on through the fields, looking for the Rainbow Rock, the undead started crawling up from beneath the ground. All of the group members were hurt yet no one fell. Upon slaying at least twenty skeletons and zombies, they found the treasure, hidden underneath the Rainbow Rock.

BDwJn6b.jpg

Putting everything they found there, pendants, gold chains, a letter to Terjon, even a figurine, into their bags, the fellowship walked onwards, back to Hommlet. Yet on their way, they found a hill giant with a domesticated bear. Before they could think of the situation, the hill giant rushed at them. As he did, they saw the body of a deceased elf clad in mastercrafted armour behind the giant. And although the group almost slayed the bear, the hill giant had his way, wildly clubbing each of the group members while towering above them.

ChlPGpH.jpg

The fellowship did not make it back to Hommlet.

1. Now, that was fun, wasn't it?
  2. I only have one person who wants a character in the game, anyone else?
  3. I will create the rest of the party regardless of whether there are enough people.
  4. I guess 8 more playthroughs, one for each party alignment, is a good idea since no one wants to read the same story twice.
Should've used laughter on the giant.

Conan

Arcane
Sign me up as an enchantment specialized human Sorc, 18 cha. Spam sleep and use charm on your toughest enemies. First human and then monster. Rule the game.

Modron

Arcane
Sorcerers in low level dnd.
:hmmm:
You'll know all of 9 spells by the time the game is over.

MerchantKing

Learned
Yeah. 18 cha bard is probably better as a spontaneous caster in low level if you want a spontaneous control caster. They can do things other than just cast two spells/day. In general, just go wizard if you need a caster. They know enough spells to be able to craft almost anything you want too.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
A. This doesn't look vanilla to me. I don't recall the first screenshot you posted at all. What is that from?

B. BG2 avatars? Really?

C. I see the hill giant already raped your party once. Lareth the Beautiful awaits to do so again, and again.

D. You should provide more details about each combat encounter, since the combat is what makes ToEE the classic that it is.

E. Good luck.

Gahbreeil

Learned
C. I see the hill giant already raped your party once. Lareth the Beautiful awaits to do so again, and again.

D. You should provide more details about each combat encounter, since the combat is what makes ToEE the classic that it is.

E. Good luck.
I agree with point D. I am honoured to hear about point E.

Lareth is puny compared to the gnolls which you need to fluke to win. That is why the game offers to you to pay them off. Which is a failure in winning the game.

Anyhow, I have two characters for the team.

MerchantKing

Learned
You might want to try a part like this

ttmmskg.png

It's the optimal setup. Make sure Jan has exactly these rolls and double class as an illusionist. You can set necromancy and evocation as forbidden schools. If you use temple+ you can make him a Beguiler which is practically an illusionist/rogue even though you have to give up a lot of good spells.

IuMtjLf.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom