Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Thing (video game) Appreciation Thread.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
2e80e05f-48fc-4f87-bc75-a094833177c4.jpg

You guys ever play this game?
It is on my replay list.
Really underrated gem, John Carpenter himself voices a character in the game - Dr. Farraday.
Just a really solid game overall, and a worthy sequel to the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(video_game)

Monk

Arcane
I don't know what happened, but it now works. I think I tried with in my old machine, which still uses Win 10, and video corruption would take place in the opening screen. However, in the new one, which uses Win 11, it loads correctly.

There's a reference in the link to making sure that registry entries are written, and I didn't uncheck that in the installation options.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't know what happened, but it now works. I think I tried with in my old machine, which still uses Win 10, and video corruption would take place in the opening screen. However, in the new one, which uses Win 11, it loads correctly.

There's a reference in the link to making sure that registry entries are written, and I didn't uncheck that in the installation options.
Swell!
So, now it works smoothly?
Told you it's a great game.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yeah, I played this when it originally came out. I think I still have a boxed copy somewhere.

My memory of it is that the gameplay was a bit janky. Not sure if I ever finished it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's nothing to appreciate about this game. It's broken and half-finished, and the end result is just a cheap and generic third-person shooter with very bad Half-Life worship in terms of aesthetics and feel.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can participate award me all you want negrolord, but we're talking about a game that mostly involves shooting not-headcrabs and not-headcrabzombies that later turns into shooting marines with braindead AI. I also remember plenty of shit like missing sound effects, weird out-of-the-blue in-game cutscenes meant to link the levels in at least some way, braindead squad member AI that gives Jericho a run for its money in terms of suicidal tendencies and uselessness, and finally the most hyped up feature of the game - the blood test - being a straight-up scam, because it never works on anyone, and dudes are story-scripted to just turn into munsters in pre-set spots. You can even test a guy, have him come up clean and then get zombified 5 steps later. This game is by no means underrated, it's exactly where it belongs as something this forgettable - forgotten.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You can participate award me all you want negrolord, but we're talking about a game that mostly involves shooting not-headcrabs and not-headcrabzombies that later turns into shooting marines with braindead AI. I also remember plenty of shit like missing sound effects, weird out-of-the-blue in-game cutscenes meant to link the levels in at least some way, braindead squad member AI that gives Jericho a run for its money in terms of suicidal tendencies and uselessness, and finally the most hyped up feature of the game - the blood test - being a straight-up scam, because it never works on anyone, and dudes are story-scripted to just turn into munsters in pre-set spots. You can even test a guy, have him come up clean and then get zombified 5 steps later. This game is by no means underrated, it's exactly where it belongs as something this forgettable - forgotten.
A bit butthurt, are we?
If you weren't completely braindead, you would have seen the game was made with the console in mind, and this reflects in the gameplay. The test kit is useful in certain instances to increase trust, it certainly could've been fleshed out better, but what are you gonna do. I had no problems with the squad AI, so I don't know what the hell are you talking about.
Either way, no one gives a shit about your pretentious mod opinions.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember giving it a try but dropping it after a while. I don't remember anything about it except outside environment and being very railroaded to the point the infection being completely scripted. Nevertheless, I think I should give it another try sooner or later. At least so I can definitely make my mind whether it's worth playing or not.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I remember giving it a try but dropping it after a while. I don't remember anything about it except outside environment and being very railroaded to the point the infection being completely scripted. Nevertheless, I think I should give it another try sooner or later. At least so I can definitely make my mind whether it's worth playing or not.
Unfortunately, yeah, most of the infections are scripted.
However, some occur if one of your group members gets hit repeatedly by some of The Things and was closely exposed to them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The Squad system really could've used some more polish.
The trust system is pretty cool. You can do blood tests to improve their trust, or give a gun to a squad member to also boost trust.
Healing them only gives a slight increase in trust, strangely enough.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Can you do trust building exercises such as standing behind your squad member and catching him as he falls backwards?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The surprise mutation is not a thing - once you don't need someone it will turn into monster.

That part in the airport had me reload a bunch of times. Maybe vsync would help with time limit?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The surprise mutation is not a thing - once you don't need someone it will turn into monster.

That part in the airport had me reload a bunch of times. Maybe vsync would help with time limit?
What airport?
You mean the mission where you have to destroy those two airplanes?
Plant C4 on both of them, then go up to the Weather Tower and detonate both C4 charges by shooting them with your sniper rifle. Be quick about it, as the hangar doors will eventually close, failing the mission.

Virgil Brummond

Educated
This game really needs a minimalistic remaster (Win 10/11 support, UI improvement for higher resolution, bugfixes and minor texture updates while maintaining the early 2000s era aesthetic).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Maybe the best way to play it now is emulating the PS2 version. In any case is a console game ported to the PC.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This is actually an underrated game

Kind of the spiritual predecessor to The Suffering (2004)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
innately a retard although when i read your posts they automatically morph into even dumber versions of themselves

because my retardation aside, there is nothing the thing has in common with the suffering

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Come on bro, we both know what is going on here. The irresistible urge to attack me overrode your reading ability. This is what happens when I live rent-free in your head, though.

there is nothing the thing has in common with the suffering

You are trying to weasel out of your stupidity, but it just doesn't work.

They are actually quite similar games. Both are real-time, third-person horror shooters with a similar atmosphere and very similar 'horror adventure' gameplay. Both are story-driven and both use cutscenes to achieve that. They were in parallel development, and came out only 2 years apart.

the-thing-2002-video-game-was-awesome-still-is-imho-what-v0-y8vro2bjxd8a1.jpg
sc003.jpg

You can clearly see the influences on marketing material, grotesque, 'mutated' monster design for example, as well as the overall color palette. However, since you can barely read or write, no one truly expects you to see these things.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom