Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Top 25 Star Trek Games

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I really preferred when Star Trek used their own unique looking computers/GUI. Nu-Trek UIs look like crap you'd find in the early 21st century and heavily dates it.

It's like someone sent the designers a message "make the most generic looking technobabble computer stuff possible"
d1942a3ab01eb59220e2b3a46e7ef09d.jpg

It's really grating isn't it. Then again everything in the Discovery lineage is grating. EC Henry did a good video on how generic they look. It seems obvious, but why would people want to see everything behind the GUI too, since it's transparent.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Off topic, might as well take a look at some physical Star Trek board games. There have been a few tabletop war games for Star Trek over the years. Amarillo Design Bureau's 'Star Fleet Battles' from 1979 (adapted as the 'Star Trek: Starfleet Command' series of video games), FASA Corporation's 'Starship Tactical Combat Simulator' from 1983 (which was part of their Star Trek RPG pulished in the 1980s), and WizKids' 'Star Trek: Attack Wing' from 2013. They might be of interest to some people here, into tactical wargaming.

EKhUlkx.png
AqX01Tn.png
MUi5UuK.png

There are also other types of tabletop games, in genres such as 4X (exploration, expansion, exploitation, extermination), and miniature games with minor RPG elements like upgradable technology. 'Star Trek: Fleet Captains' was one of the first in 2011, by WizKids, and is hard to find new. 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', a 4X game, is still supported by Gale Force Nine, and widely available. 'Star Trek: Frontiers' is a Mage Knight style game, by WizKids, that isn't available new anymore. Here is a review of these three prominent ones:

Star Trek: Fleet Captains
by WizKids, 2011

6cB2dAw.png

Verdict: Great

Players:
2 to 4

Weight (complexity): 3.06 out of 5 on BoardGameGeek

Canonicity: Very high, practically canonical

Star Trek: Fleet Captains is a solid simulation of space exploration, laid out via a series of face-down hexagonal cards, together representing a single sector of unexplored space. Each hexagonal card represents a unit of this region, usually containing an explorable solar system or other point of interest. A player may travel to any surrounding card, to explore that part of the sector. Revealing the hidden card by turning it face-upward, is akin to removing the fog-of-war. You may find a Class-M planet, Class-J planet, Class-Y planet, etc, or other space phenomenon, and must complete missions to advance victory points. The larger the fleets, the longer the game.

I found it very faithful in execution to the spirit of the show; perhaps the best one here, in that regard. There are some really varied starships in the box, ranging from Oberth-class science ships, Nova-class scouts, to Sabre-class cruisers, Excelsior-class heavy cruisers and Sovereign-class battleships. You get a suprisingly large amount of miniatures, unpainted, with WizKid's clickable bases that display their stats.

I've heard this one picked up a cult reputation among certain board game clubs, with people building custom miniatures, and custom fleets for the game, beyond the two original factions (Federation, Klingons), and two expansion factions (Romulans, Dominion). The Dominion expansion was available when I last looked years ago, fairly easily at a normal price. The Romulan expansion however, was already nigh impossible to find and hugely expensive. All in all, this was probably the strongest game in terms of theme, but I've heard some people complain that the card used was thin. I think the rules of the game were pretty solid and understandable.

Star Trek: Ascendancy
by Gale Force Nine, 2016

nXeJt2P.png

Verdict: Great

Players:
3 to 10+ (or 1 to 10+ with Borg expansion)

Weight (complexity): 3.16 out of 5 on BoardGameGeek

Canonicity: Not aiming for canonicity, nevertheless really faithful in spirit

Star Trek: Ascendancy, from 2016, is currently the most popular Star Trek tabletop board game, and is still supported as of 2023. It is a 4X game, like the PC game 'Star Trek: Birth of the Federation'. It has three factions in the box (Federation, Klingons, Romulans), as well as a suprising number of expansions (Cardassians, Ferengi, Breen, Vulcans, Andorians, Dominion, Borg), for a total of ten available factions, the latest released fairly recently. The suggested number of players is three minimum, but the Borg expansion allows two-player games by adding the Borg as a chance-controlled faction. To simulate freedom of movement, the game uses solar systems connected by space lanes, which may be travelled at impulse, or warp drive may pond-skip between entire systems.

Overall, the game captures the feel of Star Trek pretty well, including the sense of exploration and discovery largely missing from some other tabletop experiences. The main knock against it would simply be that there exists two better 4X video games for Star Trek, on PC. 'Star Trek: Birth of the Federation' from 1999 is the best Star Trek 4X game, in addition to being one of the best 4X games on PC, and the 'Star Trek: New Horizons' mod for Paradox Interactive's 'Stellaris' is a pretty great fan-made one. It is for this reason that Ascendancy is a conditional reccomendation, but should especially be considered if you have a bunch of Star Trek-loving family, or geeky drunken friends round a table, as board games are great experiences that PC games can't capture so easily.

Star Trek: Frontiers
by WizKids, 2016

KkKE5sd.png

Verdict: Acceptable

Players:
1 to 4

Weight (complexity): 4.33 out of 5 on BoardGameGeek

Canonicity: Medium to high potential canonicity

Unfortunatly I wouldn't recommend 'Star Trek: Frontiers'. It's main problem comes from how it just does not model the Star Trek experience very well. The premise sounds quite interesting; the classic board game 'Mage Knight', but where your plastic player figure/token is a 600-meter long starship with a crew of 1000, and you are a starship commander. Unfortunatly even a cursory glance at the game board reveals that the re-skin is quite superficial. Spacial phenomenon don't quite make sense, such as asteroid fields bigger than entire solar systems, and dozens of expensive Starbases already set up across this supposed unexplored frontier. Also you are confined to playing as four captains from the show (Picard, Sisko, Martok, Lursa), where building your own crews, with your own captain, would have been far more thematic. You can however recruit officers from across TNG, DS9 and VOY.

You are given the task of exploring a newly opened region of space, beyond an unstable wormhole, at a time of fragile peace between the Federation and Klingons (with the rising threat of the Dominion). This is set during the lead-up to the Dominion War. When you arrive, various hostile factions such as the Romulans and the Dominion have also staked a claim, building starbases. Your mission consists of exploring the new region of space, defeating bases and ships. In practice, this entails conquering, as most missions are just bland skill checks. Where you could have generated thematic missions involving alien civilizations, and strange new worlds, you instead basically just measure the inhabitants of a planet against your weapons or science rating to determine the outcome. I knew better, but nevertheless, gave it a go and unfortunatly found it wanting. Sadly a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

fork

The best Star Trek game is a mod for Sins of a Solar Empire.
Not sure which one, I think there are two or more, and at some point the mod also got worse, because modders.
But playing as the Borg was a delight.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I really preferred when Star Trek used their own unique looking computers/GUI. Nu-Trek UIs look like crap you'd find in the early 21st century and heavily dates it.

It's like someone sent the designers a message "make the most generic looking technobabble computer stuff possible"
Yep.
The prestigious LCARS computer operating system. It was pure Star Trek, part of its aesthetic and ship design, unlike the retarded Nu-Trek all flash and lens flare.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I did a playthrough of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen. It's a pretty decent game, although if you dislike DS9's mythological stories about the Prophets, Pah-Wraiths and the Orbs, you might not enjoy that these elements play a large part in the plot. All members of the DS9 cast are present, except Avery Brooks as Captain Sisko, and Colm Meaney as Chief O'Brian. Even Garak and Quark can be found on the Promenade between missions. There are three campaigns, featuring slightly different stories told concurrently; Sisko's, Kira's and Worf's missions. Sisko's and Kira's campaigns are generally regarded as slightly easier, because their Starfleet or Bajoran phaser pistol recharges over time. Worf's may be harder, as it seems the most combat oriented path, but I haven't yet completed his.

Observations:
  • The story is based upon the Millennium Trilogy of Deep Space Nine novels, by J&G Reeves-Stevens.
  • The Pah-Wraiths have three Orbs, like the nine 'Tears of the Prophets' Bajoran Orbs shown in DS9.
  • One annoyance is that enemies frequently spawn in, or transport in, behind you in many areas.
  • The enemies are quite precise, meaning you may have to savescum a bit in some situations.
  • It does not have quite the feel of verisimilitude as games rated higher in the original post.
  • The dialogue is generally good, well acted, well written, but the feel of Star Trek is lesser.
  • It has a very generic soundtrack, rather than a musical score that sounds like the show.
7h6UHcy.png

The story begins differently, depending on which of the three concurrent narratives you choose. Sisko and Worf are aboard the USS Defiant, when they encounter a Bajoran science vessel, under attack by the mysterious Grigari. Meanwhile, Major Kira has travelled by Runabout to meet an old comrade on the surface of Bajor, inside a monestary, as it is attacked by the fanatical Kahl-Taan. Various competing interests, including the the Grigari (who are a race of cyborg scavengers from the fringes of the Beta Quadrant), and a member of the Cardassian Obsidian Order, all wish to aquire the Orbs of the Pah-Wraiths, as they may be able to tip the balance of power in the Quadrant. They can create a stable wormhole - an evil, red-coloured, mirror image of the Prophets' 'Celestial Temple', aka the Bajoran Wormhole of the show.

Last edited:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Qr9rKEm.png

I've edited a correction into the above post on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen"; both Sisko and Kira have recharging phasers, it's just Worf who has a Bat'leth instead, making his campaign slightly more difficult (as having an infinite ranged weapon greatly helps). I could have sworn Starfleet type-2 phasers needed ammo in the game, but I must have been thinking of another game. I've now completed Sisko's campaign too, and I think it might be easier than Kira's. Will keep adding reviews of other Star Trek games as I re-play them.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Qr9rKEm.png

I want to issue a correction to the above post on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen", as there is an error; both Sisko and Kira have recharging phasers, it's just Worf who has a Bat'leth instead, making his campaign slightly more difficult (as having an infinite ranged weapon greatly helps). I could have sworn Starfleet needed ammo, but I must have been thinking of something else. I'm going through Sisko's campaign. Will keep adding reviews of other Star Trek games as I re-play them.
Star Trek: Elite Force Voyager and Elite Force 2 also had recharging phasers.
I think they have an "autonomous recharge system" or something like that, depending on the model.
Elite Force 2 also had the Bat'leth. A really awesome klingon weapon, unfortunately, you get to use it only once on a mission. However, you start off with it in multiplayer Deathmatch with bots or other people.

Last edited:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I was watching "By Inferno's Light" recently, saw the part where Worf fights in a ring, and thought it would be amusing if someone made a Star Trek fighting game, set during the Dominion War in an internment camp. Multiple captured species from the Alpha Quadrant must fight the camp's Jem'Hadar commandant. Human karate, Klingon mok'bara, Romulan tai'chi, Breen kickboxing, Orion taekwondo vs. Jem'hadar CQC lol.

XxTV2RS.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
you can tell its the future b/c there's upside-down jello cups on the ring

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would say that this idea makes no sense because there is no victory in that camp. You're still just going to be killed. (Now that I think about it, was there any reason given in that episode for why the Dominion would want prisoners?)

But I remember one time seeing people in an arcade play a fighting game where a grizzly bear grabbed a 90-lb woman's head in his teeth and then she bounced back up and kicked the shit out of him. Clearly there's things I don't understand about the genre.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I'm doing another playthough of one of my favorite childhood games, Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard. It features the return of Tony Todd as Kurn and Robert O'Reilly as Gowron. The game was built on the Unreal Engine 1, and actually I think this build predated Unreal itself. I rated it higher than Elite Force in terms of Star Trek FPS, only because I feel that the fidelity to an alien culture here is amazing. It could be argued that some of the later missions drag a little, but this was a common occurance in boomer shooters of the era, for example Quake II and Unreal itself. It isn't too difficult to get running. Click here for an excellent guide on how to get Klingon Honor Guard running on Windows 10.

Observations:
  • Extremely high fidelity to Klingon art design, architecture, GUIs, and culture.
  • Satisfying weapons that are plausible designs for the Klingon special forces.
  • These include an Assault Disruptor, the Ding-Pach boomerang, and Bat'Leth.
  • Species of fauna, such as the Tar Chop, Targ and bireQT populate the Empire.
  • Some enemies dodge a lot, which can be frustrating; stab or blow them up.
  • The game does show some signs of aged design, but is generally a pleasure.
  • Some level designs, such as Rura Penthe, are very environmentally evocative.
  • Your character yells battle cries and bloothirsty one-liners as he vaporizes foes.
8T1F41P.png

You are a member of the Klingon Honor Guard, a force responsible for protecting the High Council. They are elite warriors, employing guns ranging from the humble Disruptor Pistol, to Trilithium Grenade Launchers and more exotic weapons. The story starts with you recreating the famous assault on Tong'Vey by the Emperor Sompek, in which he burned the city to the ground. The holodeck simulation is interrupted, giving you news of an Empire-wide emergency. There has been an assassination attempt on Chancellor Gowron, leader of the Klingon Empire. Since the Honor Guard are considered to have loyalty beyond doubt, you are tasked with hunting down the perpetrators across the quadrant. Infiltrating prisons, boarding the vessels of Andorian mercenaries, and visiting the seedy streets of Qualor II.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm doing another playthough of one of my favorite childhood games, Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard. It features the return of Tony Todd as Kurn and Robert O'Reilly as Gowron. The game was built on the Unreal Engine 1, and actually I think this build predated Unreal itself. I rated it higher than Elite Force in terms of Star Trek FPS, only because I feel that the fidelity to an alien culture here is amazing. It could be argued that some of the later missions drag a little, but this was a common occurance in boomer shooters of the era, for example Quake II and Unreal itself. It isn't too difficult to get running. Click here for an excellent guide on how to get Klingon Honor Guard running on Windows 10.

Observations:
  • Extremely high fidelity to Klingon art design, architecture, GUIs, and culture.
  • Satisfying weapons that are plausible designs for the Klingon special forces.
  • These include an Assault Disruptor, the Ding-Pach boomerang, and Bat'Leth.
  • Species of fauna, such as the Tar Chop, Targ and bireQT populate the Empire.
  • Some enemies dodge a lot, which can be frustrating; stab or blow them up.
  • The game does show some signs of aged design, but is generally a pleasure.
  • Some level designs, such as Rura Penthe, are very environmentally evocative.
  • Your character yells battle cries and bloothirsty one-liners as he vaporizes foes.
8T1F41P.png

You are a member of the Klingon Honor Guard, a force responsible for protecting the High Council. They are elite warriors, employing guns ranging from the humble Disruptor Pistol, to Trilithium Grenade Launchers and more exotic weapons. The story starts with you recreating the famous assault on Tong'Vey by the Emperor Sompek, in which he burned the city to the ground. The holodeck simulation is interrupted by Kurn, giving you news of an Empire-wide emergency. There has been an assassination attempt on Chancellor Gowron, leader of the Klingon Empire. Since the Honor Guard are considered to have loyalty beyond doubt, you are tasked with hunting down the perpetrators across the quadrant. Infiltrating prisons, boarding the vessels of Andorian mercenaries, and visiting the seedy streets of Qualor II.
Haven't played it yet, but I just might.
Looks pretty decent.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yep.
The prestigious LCARS computer operating system. It was pure Star Trek, part of its aesthetic and ship design, unlike the retarded Nu-Trek all flash and lens flare.

That's because Okuda had more talent in his little finger than all these millennial dangerhair diversity squads combined.

And it's not like he's dead, they could ask for his and other old Star Trek designers' input easily. He was heavily involved in the HD remaster of TNG. Which is why it came out amazing.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
9P1625b.png

I did a playthrough of Star Trek Online. I was prompted to try it again by Rusty's comments on the first page (about it being a decent single-player game when you ignore the MMO aspects, and it being a continuation of classic Star Trek after Nemesis). We never had a real single-player Star Trek RPG sadly, so this is the closest fans ever got. The playthrough was purely to assess it on single player story content. The last time I played, years back, I didn't continue to the end of the Iconian War; I was also unhappy about it's attitude to lore and historical periodisation. The game's story has been edited in the intervening years. This playthrough ignored Star Trek: Discovery content, for obvious reasons. Instead, I stuck to the original over-arching plot regarding the return of the Iconians.

The portion of the Federation's story I completed was:
  • - Tutorial: Graduation Day
  • - Story Arc 01: Klingon War
  • - Story Arc 02: Romulan Mystery
  • - Story Arc 03: Cardassian Struggle
  • - Story Arc 04: Borg Advance
  • - Story Arc 05: New Romulus
  • - Story Arc 06: Solanae Dyson Sphere
  • - Story Arc 07: Delta Quadrant
  • - Story Arc 08: Iconian War
The portion of the Klingon story I completed was:
  • - Tutorial: End of Watch
  • - Story Arc 01: Empire
  • - Story Arc 02: Warzone
  • - Story Arc 03: Vigilance
  • - Story Arc 04: Fek'Ihri Return
The portion of the Romulan story I completed was:
  • - Tutorial: A Day on the Farm
  • - Story Arc 01: From the Ashes
  • - Story Arc 02: Allies
  • - Story Arc 03: In Shadows
  • - Story Arc 04: Wasteland
  • - Story Arc 05: Vengeance
  • - Story Arc 06: Freedom
Judging Star Trek Online for it's story missions

Throwing aside all the many criticisms I have of MMORPGs, and the choice of making this game an MMORPG, I will judge the game's story in isolation. Star Trek Online isn't the best Star Trek story in a video game, that would probably go to something like Judgment Rites, A Final Unity, or Klingon Academy. However it is probably the best single-player story I have experienced in an MMO, being far superior to something comparable like Star Wars: The Old Republic in many ways.

OM6Aldd.png

In particular the plot structure of missions is sometimes quite cinematic and dynamic in ways no TOR mission is. There are scene changes showing events on entirely different planets, or missions that change the game's genre unexpectedly. It benefits from appearances by still-living actors playing their characters, and a suprising fidelity to TV storylines.

c1M9ior.png

The quality however varies badly. Some of the story arcs are very disappointing, then suddenly for a mission or two, you find some of the best plot development since DS9. Sometimes, fleetingly, you get some of the most idyllic and pastoral views of Star Trek's planets (e.g. visiting Bajor or Virinat or New Romulus). The Romulan Mystery arc was very interesting. The Delta Quadrant arc by comparison was stuffed with repetitive filler missions involving absurd levels of combat, bigger battles than Wolf 359, over trivial things like someone not wanting to give up their cargo for inspection.

im0AmE3.png

You could argue that being the best story in an MMORPG, is not a high bar, given the reputation of the genre, but it can be genuinely surprising at times. Laying out the missions as episodes was beneficial, and makes each arc feel like a short season of television. Although cameos can be taken to absurd levels at times, with three TV characters turning up in the tutorial, of all places, this might be the only MMORPG that can poach actual living cast members from a live-action source. The equivalent would be LOTRO using Viggo Mortensen, Elijah Wood, John Rys Davies, and Sean Bean as cameos or something.

SUFAqcN.png

It has fidelity to the procedural feel of Star Trek, for all it's problems. Making your character's starship just a different avatar of your player, that controls exactly the same as someone on foot, was a stroke of good game design. Ship combat feels similar to a reasonable Star Trek tactical game, along the lines of 2006's Star Trek: Legacy. Compare this to Star Wars: The Old Republic, where space missions are an ackward piece of side content, in a franchise where half the action is in space. Missions often feel like something Starfleet would really do; rendering humanitarian aid, or defending an ally.

T3FtMl7.jpg

The story is, at best, sometimes a logical extension of the events seen in the 1990s or Rick Berman era of Star Trek. Set in 2409, it represents one possible way Star Trek's history might have extended into the 25th century, after 'Star Trek: Nemesis', prior to CBS/Paramount producing 'Star Trek: Picard'. The Romulan Mystery, for example, picks up plot threads regarding Commander Sela, Commander Taris, and the ancient Iconian Empire, seen in episodes of TNG like "Contagion", in a quite satisfying way. If anything it picks up too many loose threads, especially later during Starfleet's return to the Delta Quadrant, where you have races from across Voyager's 70,000 light-year journey all turning up.

W9COUz7.png

One big criticism I have long directed at events however, is Star Trek Online's tendancy to close off and explain every lingering plot thread, such as mysterious archeological or historical cultures mentioned in famous episodes. This closes down the scope of Star Trek's vast canvas. It would have been better, in many cases, to have left the past alone. To give one prominent example, the Fek'ihri, a demon from Klingon mythology, are portrayed as an ancient alien race, returning from history in the Klingon character's story arc, like the Goa'uld being Earth's pagan gods in Stargate SG-1. The Klingons aren't permitted have a mythology of their own, like thousands of human cultures; their myths must be made materialistic. Not to mention it feels a little too much like high fantasy to have a race of demons return from slumber.

sNJEyfk.png

Thankfully, STO is not official canon, no video games are. Unfortunate narrative descisions can be ignored, if it pleases you. Post-2017 Star Trek has used some starship designs originally intended for STO; the first significant crossover from secondary canon into a show, in Star Trek's history. It remains to be seen whether this will also extend to some of the more unfortunate plot ideas presented in the game. Being the only game many younger fans ever knew about, various YouTubers treat STO like some sort of official source, leading to a lot of bullshit seeping into people's perceptions of the franchise over the last decade and a half. Overall however I would have to say that I didn't regret experiencing STO, I just regretted the pain of it's worst moments, which brings us to the next evalutation; gameplay.

Judging Star Trek Online as a game or MMORPG

Now, where I have largely praised the story, I can't praise Star Trek Online similarily as a game. MMORPGs are fundamentally designed to monetise gaming into a service. It's nice that they made it free-to-play eventually, but it was fundamentally created to force 'live services' onto people, whether they wanted that or not in a Star Trek game. A single player game would have been a better experience in 99% of scenarios. MMOs are full of forced choices; they often have artificial conflicts in which the front lines never change, to emulate the Horde vs Alliance PvP of World of Warcraft.

WIj2fxD.png

The worst symptom of MMO culture, is how the game breaks Star Trek's previous meticulous periodisation of it's history or technology, with 250-year old warships, long retired to scrapyards, somehow returning to service, just to capitalise on a casual fan's credulity or complete ignorance of how real-world arms races happen, or to monetise them for real money on the marketplace. Sometimes the game will attempt to explain this in a completely implausiable way, such as claiming that a pragmatic military created an exact replica, down to the finest details, of an ancient outdated warship.

86MAEtB.jpg

It is not all bad, a lot of the game is enjoyable, even quite imaginative in places (with shuttlecraft-based missions and rappelling down caves using ziplines); but then you get sections of the game that just waste your time, such as throwing endless waves of ships at you in a space battle, mission after mission. A few minutes of combat against fewer ships would have sufficed. Twenty ships is padding, contradicts Star Trek canon, and goes on way past the point of bad taste. You will also many times fight vessels that quite obviously out-match you in real canon; a Scimitar class warbird or Borg cube could canonically one-shot something like scout ship or light cruiser, yet you are often seen fighting dreadnought sized warships single handedly.

1ttjXKY.jpg

For reasons I won't go into, I elected to play the console version, which is significantly laden with errors that reappear time and again with new patches. At the time I began, no phasers in the game were making any sound; an error that has apparently happened several times in the past. Opening up the GUI for the first time is like rainbow vomit; way too much stuff going on, 95% of which you thankfully can ignore. Important dialogue is spoken over other dialogue. The PC version is probably in better state, but I wouldn't expect it will change things like plot or dialogue errors that have crept in. People are out of position in cutscenes, or invisible, or inside the floor. In many ways STO is broken because it is built on an ancient game engine nobody probably knows how to fix, and has been extensively messed with over decades. It has something like six separate currencies; which you can thankfully ignore; credits, dilithium, fleet tokens, faction tokens, zen, etc. I urge you not to get sucked into this whale-poaching bollocks, i.e. the zen market, where people can buy absurdly inappropriate ships from different factions and eras.

qFOXJw7.png

That is not to say that Star Trek Online does not still suprise you with good ideas. Like I said, having the starship you command essentially be another avatar, and making the combat similar to something like Starfleet Command, works really well. Here you actually feel like you are commanding a starship; because in Star Trek the ship is as important a character as the crew. You also get neat suprises like missions set entirely inside the dreamscape induced by a telepathic Vulcan mind-meld.

The issue of removed content and altering story

Over the years, a lot of story content, often entire mission arcs, have been removed or cut down in STO. Cameo appearances by famous cast members of the show are often written into old missions, as the actor joined the STO cast. Sometimes TV actors are even written out. This raises some serious questions about canonicity; what kind of precedent does it set to completely re-tool an artistic work, whenever a corporation wants? How about two players, a decade apart, getting different plot? That does not sit well we me. From a perspective of video game preservation for example, those removed missions are just gone for anyone who might want to experience them again.

Check out this list of removed missions:

1ur5GzR.png

Sometimes, these changes may have been positive from the perspective of narrative bloat. It reduces filler. However there are hints everywhere that old episodes are missing. Characters inexplicably referencing events that you have never seen. Characters suddently having their briefing replaced by a new character and voice actor, so they could re-write the mission without re-hiring say Kate Mulgrew or Tim Russ.

In conclusion

For all it's problems, Star Trek Online was worth playing, in order to experience one possible future that Star Trek could have taken from 2379 to 2409. I would recommend fans play the top ten classics, before they played STO, because they represent better, more faithful, simulations. However, some of the story arcs in STO are solid. It's a little too much like fan fiction in places, but generally quite believable as a Star Trek story.

PcdFhFB.png

The main over-arching plot arc revolves around the return of the Iconian Empire, from 200,000 years ago, who's ancient civilization, based upon a network of star-spanning gateways, was mentioned in two episodes spanning TNG and DS9. They employ other mysterious races mentioned in Star Trek as proxy servitors, and attempt to subvert the entire galaxy for much of the game before launching their own invasion. What a fan should be conscious of is STO's reputation for excess, and of damaging historical periodisation. This can mostly be avoided by just sticking to story missions, and picking believable free ships. Expect to endure repetition in places, but soak in those moments when it felt like a real continuation of the TNG era.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
9P1625b.png

I did a playthrough of Star Trek Online. I was prompted to try it again by Rusty's comments on the first page (about it being a decent single-player game when you ignore the MMO aspects, and it being a continuation of classic Star Trek after Nemesis). We never had a real single-player Star Trek RPG sadly, so this is the closest fans ever got. The playthrough was purely to assess it on single player story content. The last time I played, years back, I didn't continue to the end of the Iconian War; I was also unhappy about it's attitude to lore and historical periodisation. The game's story has been edited in the intervening years. This playthrough ignored Star Trek: Discovery content, for obvious reasons. Instead, I stuck to the original over-arching plot regarding the return of the Iconians.

The portion of the Federation's story I completed was:
  • - Tutorial: Graduation Day
  • - Story Arc 01: Klingon War
  • - Story Arc 02: Romulan Mystery
  • - Story Arc 03: Cardassian Struggle
  • - Story Arc 04: Borg Advance
  • - Story Arc 05: New Romulus
  • - Story Arc 06: Solanae Dyson Sphere
  • - Story Arc 07: Delta Quadrant
  • - Story Arc 08: Iconian War
The portion of the Klingon story I completed was:
  • - Tutorial: End of Watch
  • - Story Arc 01: Empire
  • - Story Arc 02: Warzone
  • - Story Arc 03: Vigilance
  • - Story Arc 04: Fek'Ihri Return
The portion of the Romulan story I completed was:
  • - Tutorial: A Day on the Farm
  • - Story Arc 01: From the Ashes
  • - Story Arc 02: Allies
  • - Story Arc 03: In Shadows
  • - Story Arc 04: Wasteland
  • - Story Arc 05: Vengeance
  • - Story Arc 06: Freedom
Judging Star Trek Online for it's story missions

Throwing aside all the many criticisms I have of MMORPGs, and the choice of making this game an MMORPG, I will judge the game's story in isolation. Star Trek Online isn't the best Star Trek story in a video game, that would probably go to something like Judgment Rites, A Final Unity, or Klingon Academy. However it is probably the best single-player story I have experienced in an MMO, being far superior to something comparable like Star Wars: The Old Republic in many ways.

OM6Aldd.png

In particular the plot structure of missions is sometimes quite cinematic and dynamic in ways no TOR mission is. There are scene changes showing events on entirely different planets, or missions that change the game's genre unexpectedly. It benefits from appearances by still-living actors playing their characters, and a suprising fidelity to TV storylines.

c1M9ior.png

The quality however varies badly. Some of the story arcs are very disappointing, then suddenly for a mission or two, you find some of the best plot development since DS9. Sometimes, fleetingly, you get some of the most idyllic and pastoral views of Star Trek's planets (e.g. visiting Bajor or Virinat or New Romulus). The Romulan Mystery arc was very interesting. The Delta Quadrant arc by comparison was stuffed with repetitive filler missions involving absurd levels of combat, bigger battles than Wolf 359, over trivial things like someone not wanting to give up their cargo for inspection.

im0AmE3.png

You could argue that being the best story in an MMORPG, is not a high bar, given the reputation of the genre, but it can be genuinely surprising at times. Laying out the missions as episodes was beneficial, and makes each arc feel like a short season of television. Although cameos can be taken to absurd levels at times, with three TV characters turning up in the tutorial, of all places, this might be the only MMORPG that can poach actual living cast members from a live-action source. The equivalent would be LOTRO using Viggo Mortensen, Elijah Wood, John Rys Davies, and Sean Bean as cameos or something.

SUFAqcN.png

It has fidelity to the procedural feel of Star Trek, for all it's problems. Making your character's starship just a different avatar of your player, that controls exactly the same as someone on foot, was a stroke of good game design. Ship combat feels similar to a reasonable Star Trek tactical game, along the lines of 2006's Star Trek: Legacy. Compare this to Star Wars: The Old Republic, where space missions are an ackward piece of side content, in a franchise where half the action is in space. Missions often feel like something Starfleet would really do; rendering humanitarian aid, or defending an ally.

T3FtMl7.jpg

The story is, at best, sometimes a logical extension of the events seen in the 1990s or Rick Berman era of Star Trek. Set in 2409, it represents one possible way Star Trek's history might have extended into the 25th century, after 'Star Trek: Nemesis', prior to CBS/Paramount producing 'Star Trek: Picard'. The Romulan Mystery, for example, picks up plot threads regarding Commander Sela, Commander Taris, and the ancient Iconian Empire, seen in episodes of TNG like "Contagion", in a quite satisfying way. If anything it picks up too many loose threads, especially later during Starfleet's return to the Delta Quadrant, where you have races from across Voyager's 70,000 light-year journey all turning up.

W9COUz7.png

One big criticism I have long directed at events however, is Star Trek Online's tendancy to close off and explain every lingering plot thread, such as mysterious archeological or historical cultures mentioned in famous episodes. This closes down the scope of Star Trek's vast canvas. It would have been better, in many cases, to have left the past alone. To give one prominent example, the Fek'ihri, a demon from Klingon mythology, are portrayed as an ancient alien race, returning from history in the Klingon character's story arc, like the Goa'uld being Earth's pagan gods in Stargate SG-1. The Klingons aren't permitted have a mythology of their own, like thousands of human cultures; their myths must be made materialistic. Not to mention it feels a little too much like high fantasy to have a race of demons return from slumber.

sNJEyfk.png

Thankfully, STO is not official canon, no video games are. Unfortunate narrative descisions can be ignored, if it pleases you. Post-2017 Star Trek has used some starship designs originally intended for STO; the first significant crossover from secondary canon into a show, in Star Trek's history. It remains to be seen whether this will also extend to some of the more unfortunate plot ideas presented in the game. Being the only game many younger fans ever knew about, various YouTubers treat STO like some sort of official source, leading to a lot of bullshit seeping into people's perceptions of the franchise over the last decade and a half. Overall however I would have to say that I didn't regret experiencing STO, I just regretted the pain of it's worst moments, which brings us to the next evalutation; gameplay.

Judging Star Trek Online as a game or MMORPG

Now, where I have largely praised the story, I can't praise Star Trek Online similarily as a game. MMORPGs are fundamentally designed to monetise gaming into a service. It's nice that they made it free-to-play eventually, but it was fundamentally created to force 'live services' onto people, whether they wanted that or not in a Star Trek game. A single player game would have been a better experience in 99% of scenarios. MMOs are full of forced choices; they often have artificial conflicts in which the front lines never change, to emulate the Horde vs Alliance PvP of World of Warcraft.

WIj2fxD.png

The worst symptom of MMO culture, is how the game breaks Star Trek's previous meticulous periodisation of it's history or technology, with 250-year old warships, long retired to scrapyards, somehow returning to service, just to capitalise on a casual fan's credulity or complete ignorance of how real-world arms races happen, or to monetise them for real money on the marketplace. Sometimes the game will attempt to explain this in a completely implausiable way, such as claiming that a pragmatic military created an exact replica, down to the finest details, of an ancient outdated warship.

86MAEtB.jpg

It is not all bad, a lot of the game is enjoyable, even quite imaginative in places (with shuttlecraft-based missions and rappelling down caves using ziplines); but then you get sections of the game that just waste your time, such as throwing endless waves of ships at you in a space battle, mission after mission. A few minutes of combat against fewer ships would have sufficed. Twenty ships is padding, contradicts Star Trek canon, and goes on way past the point of bad taste. You will also many times fight vessels that quite obviously out-match you in real canon; a Scimitar class warbird or Borg cube could canonically one-shot something like scout ship or light cruiser, yet you are often seen fighting dreadnought sized warships single handedly.

1ttjXKY.jpg

For reasons I won't go into, I elected to play the console version, which is significantly laden with errors that reappear time and again with new patches. At the time I began, no phasers in the game were making any sound; an error that has apparently happened several times in the past. Opening up the GUI for the first time is like rainbow vomit; way too much stuff going on, 95% of which you thankfully can ignore. Important dialogue is spoken over other dialogue. The PC version is probably in better state, but I wouldn't expect it will change things like plot or dialogue errors that have crept in. People are out of position in cutscenes, or invisible, or inside the floor. In many ways STO is broken because it is built on an ancient game engine nobody probably knows how to fix, and has been extensively messed with over decades. It has something like six separate currencies; which you can thankfully ignore; credits, dilithium, fleet tokens, faction tokens, zen, etc. I urge you not to get sucked into this whale-poaching bollocks, i.e. the zen market, where people can buy absurdly inappropriate ships from different factions and eras.

qFOXJw7.png

That is not to say that Star Trek Online does not still suprise you with good ideas. Like I said, having the starship you command essentially be another avatar, and making the combat similar to something like Starfleet Command, works really well. Here you actually feel like you are commanding a starship; because in Star Trek the ship is as important a character as the crew. You also get neat suprises like missions set entirely inside the dreamscape induced by a telepathic Vulcan mind-meld.

The issue of removed content and altering story

Over the years, a lot of story content, often entire mission arcs, have been removed or cut down in STO. Cameo appearances by famous cast members of the show are often written into old missions, as the actor joined the STO cast. Sometimes TV actors are even written out. This raises some serious questions about canonicity; what kind of precedent does it set to completely re-tool an artistic work, whenever a corporation wants? How about two players, a decade apart, getting different plot? That does not sit well we me. From a perspective of video game preservation for example, those removed missions are just gone for anyone who might want to experience them again.

Check out this list of removed missions:

1ur5GzR.png

Sometimes, these changes may have been positive from the perspective of narrative bloat. It reduces filler. However there are hints everywhere that old episodes are missing. Characters inexplicably referencing events that you have never seen. Characters suddently having their briefing replaced by a new character and voice actor, so they could re-write the mission without re-hiring say Kate Mulgrew or Tim Russ.

In conclusion

For all it's problems, Star Trek Online was worth playing, in order to experience one possible future that Star Trek could have taken from 2379 to 2409. I would recommend fans play the top ten classics, before they played STO, because they represent better, more faithful, simulations. However, some of the story arcs in STO are solid. It's a little too much like fan fiction in places, but generally quite believable as a Star Trek story.

PcdFhFB.png

The main over-arching plot arc revolves around the return of the Iconian Empire, from 200,000 years ago, who's ancient civilization, based upon a network of star-spanning gateways, was mentioned in two episodes spanning TNG and DS9. They employ other mysterious races mentioned in Star Trek as proxy servitors, and attempt to subvert the entire galaxy for much of the game before launching their own invasion. What a fan should be conscious of is STO's reputation for excess, and of damaging historical periodisation. This can mostly be avoided by just sticking to story missions, and picking believable free ships. Expect to endure repetition in places, but soak in those moments when it felt like a real continuation of the TNG era.
That starship bridge looks absolutely stunning!
Bajor was always one of the most beautiful planets in Star Trek, maybe even in science fiction in general.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I've just played through the newest Star Trek game, 'Star Trek: Resurgence', released 23 May 2023, roughly one month ago. This makes a refereshing change to this thread; a new game! This is the first story-driven single-player Star Trek game of note in about 20 years. It is a Telltale visual novel type game, which should give you an idea of what to expect, if you have ever played those. It consists of dialogue choices, episodes of cutscene-driven story, interspersed with simple puzzles and occasional shooting. Fair warning; the game uses the opening musical theme from 'Star Trek: Discovery', despite being 100% set in the TNG era. This was a bafflingly tone-deaf choice considering how hated Discovery is in fandom, but the actual game has little or nothing to do with nu-Trek (barring the main viewscreen now being a window). Suprisingly for a 2023 product, there is no wokeness present, beyond the attitudes of 1990s Star Trek, which I count as a suprising mark in it's favour.

Observations:
  • The story is decent, however not quite as interesting as the Star Trek adventure games of the 1990s.
  • The archeological mystery could have been portrayed more imaginatively, but isn't handled too badly.
  • Modern Star Trek games have a tendency to use up archeological cultures mentioned in the TV show.
  • Puzzles are fairly simple, usually along the lines of opening a panel and inserting an isolinear chip.
  • Shooting sections can be slightly annoying, with lookspring resetting your crosshair while in cover.
  • Some characters use modern patterns of speech; this will date the dialogue faster than the shows.
  • Pacing can be a little slow in places, and the game sometimes presents forced alternative choices.
PWQfvck.png

The game is set in 2380, roughly one year after the events of 'Star Trek: Nemesis', the same year as 'Star Trek: Elite Force II', making it the furthest Star Trek game in the timeline other than 'Star Trek Online'. It takes place on the Centaur-class USS Resolute, a science vessel. You control two members of the crew; newly appointed First Officer Jara Rydek, and engineering crewman Carter Diaz. The Resolute is ordered to proceed to Hotari Prime, to negotiate a peace between two contending alien species, the Hotari and Alydians. Along the way, myteries unfold, as an energy field suspends all starship travel in the vacinity of the planet. The plot heavily features the long dead Tkon Empire, from Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Last Outpost", which flourished 600,000 years before the rise of the United Federation of Planets. Ambassador Spock and Captain William T Riker make tasteful appearances.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've just played through the newest Star Trek game, 'Star Trek: Resurgence', released 23 May 2023, roughly one month ago. This makes a refereshing change to this thread; a new game! This is the first story-driven single-player Star Trek game of note in about 20 years. It is a Telltale visual novel type game, which should give you an idea of what to expect, if you have ever played those. It consists of dialogue choices, episodes of cutscene-driven story, interspersed with simple puzzles and occasional shooting. Fair warning; the game uses the opening musical theme from 'Star Trek: Discovery', despite being 100% set in the TNG era. This was a bafflingly tone-deaf choice considering how hated Discovery is in fandom, but the actual game has little or nothing to do with nu-Trek (barring the main viewscreen now being a window). Suprisingly for a 2023 product, there is no wokeness present, beyond the attitudes of 1990s Star Trek, which I count as a suprising mark in it's favour.

Observations:
  • The story is decent, however not quite as interesting as the Star Trek adventure games of the 1990s.
  • The archeological mystery could have been portrayed more imaginatively, but isn't handled too badly.
  • Modern Star Trek games have a tendency to use up archeological cultures mentioned in the TV show.
  • Puzzles are fairly simple, usually along the lines of opening a panel and inserting an isolinear chip.
  • Shooting sections can be slightly annoying, with lookspring resetting your crosshair while in cover.
  • Some characters use modern patterns of speech; this will date the dialogue faster than the shows.
PWQfvck.png

The game is set in 2380, roughly one year after the events of 'Star Trek: Nemesis', the same year as 'Star Trek: Elite Force II', making it the furthest Star Trek game in the timeline other than 'Star Trek Online'. It takes place on the Centaur-class USS Resolute, a science vessel. You control two members of the crew; newly appointed First Officer Jara Rydek, and engineering crewman Carter Diaz. The Resolute is ordered to proceed to Hotari Prime, to negotiate a peace between two contending alien species, the Hotari and Alydians. Along the way, myteries unfold, as an energy field suspends all starship travel in the vacinity of the planet. The plot heavily features the long dead Tkon Empire, from Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Last Outpost", which flourished 600,000 years before the rise of the United Federation of Planets. Ambassador Spock and Captain William T Riker make tasteful appearances.
Hell, even this sounds more interesting than either Discovery or Picard.
So, game is pretty decent, yeah?

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

Observations:
PWQfvck.png

Hell, even this sounds more interesting than either Discovery or Picard.
So, game is pretty decent, yeah?
It's not perfect, but it's more interesting than Discovery for sure :) I think some people wouldn't like that it's a Telltale-style game, as those type of games are not everyone's cup of tea. Some people find them tedious, but I appreciate that at least they attempted to create a new genuine Star Trek story, rather than something offensive like a mobile game. Also I appreciate that they chose a format that Star Trek hasn't previously used - an in-engine interactive movie - arguably there is a lot of potential for Telltale-style Star Trek stories, depending on interest. For a higher budget you could even animate stories with the original casts; unlikely as it is. I would say it is worth playing for fans, but perhaps one playthrough is enough, once you know the story.

e18TEkF.png
rO0jbjc.png
kkFQFvI.png

I would place it around "Star Trek: Borg" and "Star Trek: Klingon", the previous interactive movies or visual novel style games on the Top 25. It has some slow pacing in the middle. There are some forced choices at times. I think they could have edited the story down a bit, and it would have worked just as well (or introduced a secondary sub-plot featuring say the Romulans competing for the same information, shadowing the USS Resolute under cloak). Some of these things might be down to budget, as Dramatic Labs might not have enough animators to create a denser experience.

Thanks for your continued interest in the thread NecroLord, it means a lot that people are finding these mini reviews interesting; same to everyone else here. I intend to replay 'Starfleet Command', 'Starfleet Command II', 'Bridge Commander', 'Away Team' and 'Invasion' at some point in the coming year or two, if possible. 'Star Trek: Infinite' too when that comes out, will definately be getting dissected here. It's funny that the Codex was only recently discussing how easy it would be to create a Star Trek strategy game in today's indie gaming scene, and along one comes after a 20 year wait.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Thanks for your continued interest in the thread NecroLord
You don't have to thank me.
I always liked Star Trek, but never liked the direction this franchise took after the J.J. Abrams movies.
Honestly, it's a complete perversion of Gene Roddenberry's original vision (you could say DS9 was one too, what with the Federation being presented as far from being perfect and even corrupt).
However, DS9 is really, really awesome, one of the best shows in the series.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I intend to replay 'Starfleet Command', 'Starfleet Command II', 'Bridge Commander'
Awesome!
Are you familiar with the Kobayashi Maru mod for Bridge Commander? Highly recommended, adds a lot of ships, effects and maps (makes the game feel and play even more like the movies and the series).
I also played Star Trek: Invasion (on an original Playstation, might I add), that was a long time ago. Game was pretty decent overall.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Awesome!
Are you familiar with the Kobayashi Maru mod for Bridge Commander? Highly recommended, adds a lot of ships, effects and maps (makes the game feel and play even more like the movies and the series).
Yep, I'll probably only be playing the main campaign for story, so won't make much use of the extra ships, but I'm going to install every updated model/texture/HD pack I can find, and mess with shaders, etc :)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Thanks for your continued interest in the thread NecroLord, it means a lot that people are finding these mini reviews interesting; same to everyone else here.
I don't comment much on the thread, but I hope it's obvious from my reactions that I'm reading and enjoying the information you bring. I didn't even know Resurgence even existed until your post, and while i haven't played it your review reads like a very fair one and has piqued my interest, so thank you for that.

I played a whole bunch of the older games and posted mini-reviews about them all over the site over the years. I was thinking about cross-posting them here, I'm curious to see how much our opinions of them differ (or not), but I don't want to hijack your thread, let me know if you're ok with it.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Thanks for your continued interest in the thread NecroLord, it means a lot that people are finding these mini reviews interesting; same to everyone else here.
I don't comment much on the thread, but I hope it's obvious from my reactions that I'm reading and enjoying the information you bring. I didn't even know Resurgence even existed until your post, and while i haven't played it your review reads like a very fair one and has piqued my interest, so thank you for that.

I played a whole bunch of the older games and posted mini-reviews about them all over the site over the years. I was thinking about cross-posting them here, I'm curious to see how much our opinions of them differ (or not), but I don't want to hijack your thread, let me know if you're ok with it.
That would be more than welcome. I have been planning to make an updated and expanded Top 40 in the near future, which I'll post on the next page. hopefully this thread becomes a definative resource for anyone looking for Star Trek games, and your reviews would help that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom