Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Top 25 Star Trek Games

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Here we go then! I think I may have more in older posts but these are nice and easy to cross-post, if I find more I'll add them.
I do want to say something briefly about Klingon Academy. I struggled to play the game, but the presentation is so mind-blowingly good that it's one of the very few times where I think it's actually worth playing the game entirely for non-game reasons. The only problem is that it has so much Christopher Plummer (I swear he has over an hour of screen time), and he's so goddamn good, that watching The Undiscovered Country afterwards is such a letdown, he's in it for barely 10 minutes and the writing and his characterization are so much more interesting and involved in the game.
Anyway onto the mini-reviews.

The Kobayashi Alternative (1985-1987)

This is the one that started it all, and it did not start well.

The concept of the game was fascinating (remember, this was 1985). You visited different planets, gathered clues that helped you find other planets or specific coordinates on a particular planet, the game was almost completely nonlinear, it was possible to mess up and lock out some clues, but some of the info could be obtained multiple ways, and you didn't need ALL the clues to win... there was so much potential in there.

Unfortunately the game itself was a chore. The UI was a laudable attempt at doing something different: unlike usual IF, what you type is what you're actually saying, or ordering others to do; actually doing stuff (getting and using items, examining things) is done with function keys. But the functions were so limited that the puzzles were either stupid easy or just plain stupid, and the parser was pretty bad, so bad in fact that the manual actually listed the very small number of sentences it'd actually recognize. Planets were reproduced in their almost entirety and you could actually walk or beam around the entire surface, but there was no exploration to speak of, and practically if you didn't have the coordinates you needed there was no point in any of the wilderness (kinda like Daggerfall). The overarching story could've worked out really well if it fit better, but as it is most of the major plot points come out of nowhere at the end (though some of the foreshadowing along the way, as well as the individual planet stories, can be quite cool)

The worst problem was that the initial release was so buggy it was virtually unplayable. S&S spent more than a year patching the game, and even that was still full of bugs. The DOS v1.1 can at least be completed, but so many scripts are bugged that some puzzle solutions make no sense, some things you do don't reward you the way they're supposed to, and huge chunks of content simply do not work other than window dressing (there's like ONE deck on the Enterprise, of the 23 you can explore, that has any relevance to anything)

It's hard to recommend this one. If you like the idea of playing Kirk, typing out "Ahead warp factor 4" or "Kirk to Scotty" or "Bones, tricorder readings", beaming down to explore planets and help the locals with their problems, then beam back up and blast some Klingon ships, then you might get some enjoyment out of it. The problem is that the concept and idea of what you're doing is a lot more fun than the actual moment to moment gameplay.

Be sure to stick to DOS v1.1, the older version is even buggier; avoid both Apple versions as they have bugs along the critical path.

First Contact (1988)

No, this has nothing to do with the movie, and predates it by years.

Same developer as the previous one, same weird interface, but MUCH more polished, and the interface is used much better here. No endless trudging around empty planets, no real bugs (although, be careful when you save your game; do so only when it doesn't seem like you're in the middle of a scripted sequence). The puzzles are still not great (and some seem to almost solve themselves), the story tries to go with multiple threads but they don't quite come together in a satisfactory way; though the end game is quite good and reminded me of the one used much later for Judgment Rites.

Better than the first, but it also loses a lot of the interesting aspects and is much more traditional (maybe that's a good thing? I'm not sure either way)

The Promethean Prophecy (1986)

Looks superficially like the others, but it's a completely different engine and developer.

This one is a an almost purely traditional text adventure without any of the experimental trappings. Barring one annoying timed sequence, and a chronic (but quite rare) get-to-shelter alarm, it's also much more relaxed in pacing. Most of the game involves beaming down to a planet, making contact with the civilization there, then trying to piece together what is going on and what this civilization really is (they've forgotten that too). Puzzles are mostly logical, though some require actually immersing yourself in the civilization's logic (team members' comments help with this). The mystery is quite fun to unravel one layer at a time, and I thought the ending was quite satisfying and brings together lots of things you'd been doing throughout the game.

It's not the best IF but it's a good one, and of the 3 games here I think it's the best one.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

I don't hate the movie as much as most people, but the game tie-in is every bit as terrible as you'd expect. It reminded me a bit of Dynamix's David Wolf in structure: 4 mini-games that you can select independently, or a "campaign" mode that plays them in order with appropriate cutscenes. The minigames cover the gamut of such things: one involves navigating a wormhole (looks more like it comes from ST:TMP than ST:TFF), one has you trapped in the center of a minefield and have to shoot mines to clear a path out, one is Street Fighter style beat em up against a Klingon, and I didn't even bother trying the last one. They are all quite awful, I'd say much worse than in David Wolf (which isn't exactly a stellar game to begin with). The Street Fighter one in particular stood out because I wasn't really having trouble with it, I just gave up because the controls are so limited that you can really only do very few actions and hope your hits don't get blocked, as you sloooooooooooooowly whittle your opponent's health down; I just gave up after several minutes, afraid I'd die of boredom.

In-between minigames you get treated to graphical cutscenes with minimal animation and some text. The graphics in these is nothing short of stunning for 1989. Unfortunately there is no sound beyond the occasional beep bop of the PC Speaker. I didn't spend very long trying to win the game, one attempt at the first 3 minigames (including as mentioned earlier simply abandoning the 3rd out of boredom) and I decided that was enough. I really don't recommend trying to play this (I should look for an LP though).

Star Trek: New Worlds (2000)

Interplay's attempt at a Star Trek RTS, when they were surfing on the success of several ST games. This one's looks remind me a lot of Dark Reign 2, which came out around the same time. It may not look as pretty but the graphics are functional and units and buildings look distinctive, which is the most important thing in this kind of game. You can play as either Federation, Romulan or Klingon; in practice, the differences are quite minor (more on the order of Warcraft 2 than Command & Conquer), as most units and buildings are just reskins (though each side gets a few uniques). The 3 campaigns do play very differently: of the 14 missions (15 including the bonus missions) each campaign gets, only a couple have the same objectives, and even those with the same name can have different objectives and will play very differently. The campaigns themselves are quite good, with some interesting and varied objectives (scan landmark, defend structure, protect ally, kill all enemies, build a special weapon... many more, and in many combinations), some fun storylines with occasional twists and turns, and each campaign's story will references occurrences in another or show you how things might've gone down from the other side. There's a surprising amount of detail here.

Unfortunately the game is completely wrecked by some major strikes. First, you can't save the game, at all. Missions are picked from a menu, and completing one unlocks the next in line (there is no real campaign progression otherwise). Since some missions can go on for a LONG time (hunting down every last unit on large maps being a bad contender) and not being able to save mid-missions, or losing after one hour of play when you were minutes away from victory is quite frustrating. Second, the AI is terrible. This can make some missions easier, since the enemies will rarely try anything clever, but it also makes getting your units to do what you want an exercise in perseverance and patience, especially since the UI has some quirks in unit selection. Third, the game is buggy and never got much patching or support. Some scripts won't always fire properly, trying to complete an objective will not work without any feedback on why (it doesn't fail; it just doesn't work). I had fun with the few missions I played, but once the missions got longer and more difficult I ran out of patience, and once the game crashed on me mid-mission I decided that was it.

Starfleet Command Gold (2000)

What a magnificent game.

This is based on the Starfleet Battles boardgame, which I have never played, but it even comes with a massive PDF explaining the SFB rules and giving you enough material to set up a few simple SFB missions. I'm almost tempted to try them out.

There is so much detail, so much complexity, and such good gameplay here. Tons of ships, each controlling very differently. You have to manage power to each system, you can manage weapons separately, shields can be boosted, you can run around enemies and try to keep shields facing them, or blow them up, or cripple specific systems and leave them stranded, or capture them to your side... The UI is extremely complex and allows you to control every little thing, but also has shortcuts, and it is possible to keep a lot of things on autopilot (though this is never optimal). You can have up to 3 ships and all are deployed on a mission (see caveat below). You get to play as one of six (!) different factions (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, and 2 that are creations of SFB, Lyran and Hydran). Although all factions share base systems, some have completely unique ones (the Hydrans' Fighters, the Romulans' cloak) and while they all have the same general families of ships, the ships themselves are quite different and can have access to very different weaponry. Playing as, or against, each faction really feels quite unique. Graphically the game looks beautiful despite its age and the blockiness, there's a lot of nice detailing in the models and textures. Music is fantastic, each race has a completely different soundtrack that captures their character perfectly.

The Dynaverse campaign system seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity. Much of what it tracks, such as alliances and off-screen skirmishes between factions, has no effect on actual gameplay beyond minor cosmetic variations. The "regular" missions are kinda boring and repetitive, with no real plot or connection to them other than "destroy ships" or "protect convoy". The real meat of the campaigns is unlocked when you join the special force of a faction, which you're offered after a certain amount of success. Doing so starts unlocking the unique missions, and these can actually be a lot of fun, with unique objectives such as infiltrating an enemy starbase and gathering data, scanning anomalies and planets, stopping a Doomsday Machine (straight out the TOS episode!). All campaigns stories share one common thread (the disappearance of the Organians, who had brokered a peace treaty between the various factions and without whom tensions erupt again) but each one introduces its own major plot thread as well, and these can sometimes refer to each other or intersect. Some campaigns even have a secondary plot thread accessed through optional missions that may relate to one or more threads. This results in a surprisingly rich tapestry, and it is this that creates the appearance of an interesting world more than the Dynaverse system itself.

Unfortunately, the game has one almost fatal flaw: level scaling. Simply put, each ship has a BPV value that is proportional to how good it is. Your total BPV (additive of all your ships) determines how powerful your opposition is. Need to buy a better ship because you need the extra speed or power for a particular objective? Suddenly your enemies have upgraded their entire fleet to Dreadnoughts. I can understand wanting to provide a constant challenge, but this should've been handled differently. It's a good thing the game is otherwise so good because this could've been a dealbreaker.

The other major problem is that some things don't work as advertised (the Supplemental Manual acknowledges this, bu it's not a very good excuse). Captured ships are supposed to be under your command, but they're not, they either just sit there, or get taken over by the AI doing whatever it wants, so it's not usually a good idea to bother unless it's part of an objective. The worst problem though is trying to control multiple ships. As good as the UI is otherwise, it is extremely finicky about what the sequence of clicks (many, many clicks) you need to do to get a ship you are not in direct control of to do what you want it to. It's even worse when you start on a particular course of action on ship 1, then decide to switch to ship 2. I found it usually better to simply not bother with more ships, but some special missions force another ship on you, and others are impossible to complete without more than one, most egregiously the final Federation mission. You have to run around dealing with things that are spawning at all corners of the map (and maps are vast in this game), and you're on a strict timer. There is a waypoint marker system, which should make this task much easier - except of course, as the Supplemental Manual helpfully points out, markers are all thrown out as soon as you switch to another ship.

Despite both flaws being quite major I had a ton of fun with the game, and of all 4 I talk about here this is the only one I kept playing. The Hydran campaign is incomplete, but what's there is still quite fun, and the other 5 campaigns are all good to great.

Star Trek: Tactical Assault (2006)

I played this on a PSP emulator (there's also a DS version apparently). This seems to be a simplified version of Starfleet Command, with some of the same general gameplay but stripping away much of the complexity, and with a much more linear and straightforward campaign. You only control one ship which you don't pick (assigned to you in each mission). Unfortunately taking away the complexity also takes away most of the tactical options, which turns most missions into a game of "orbit around enemy, keep your best shield facing their weapon, keep your weapon facing their weak shield". With very slow gameplay, with such simple tactics, against usually overwhelming odds, the game quickly becomes boring and tedious and a chore. The campaigns are quite interesting, with some cool objectives and storylines, but I found the game too difficult for how simplistic the mechanics are and gave up rather quickly.

Star Trek: The Rebel Universe (1987)

This is one that I had never played (or even remembered). I expected it to be similar to the 3 text adventures I played earlier, but this one is in fact a completely different beast. It gives the impression of being an exploration/simulator hybrid. You get to explore an entire sector, with access to each planet in every system. Most planets can't be landed on but many have bases that can replenish fuel, weapons, hull, energy - things that slowly get consumed as you explore (not so slowly when you run into enemies!). There are 8 distinct way to win the game, some very different from each others and each requiring a different sequence of events of varying complexity. Other items are scattered throughout the planets (sometimes in multiple copies) and will help with the missions (eg, jamming devices will reduce chance of random encounters with enemy ships).

Unfortunately (as with Kobayashi Alternative) the actual gameplay is a lot more dull than the concept. The landing party segments are a linear sequence of events, each with a very binary outcome (success if you have the required item/crew, failure otherwise). There's no one to talk to, no real puzzles to solve, and no exploration on the planet surface. Space exploration is made more annoying by 3 different "zoom" levels - you only ever see a small number of systems at all times, and "regional" ones only become visible when you're close to one of the global systems - and again, "locals" are only visible from specific "regionals", but there's enough overlap that keeping track of which system is where becomes a convoluted mess - and you WILL need to keep track because you will frequently run into an obstacle before you have the item needed to get past it, requiring quite a bit of backtracking. Worse, there's a time limit in place; you're expected to run into quite a few game overs before you have mapped enough of the zones to know what's where (location of everything is fixed). Exploring the entire zone and mapping everything could've been fun, if the gameplay itself wasn't so limited and repetitive. I explored enough to find what I needed for one of the endings (seemingly one of the simplest) but didn't really feel like going through all the repetitive motions to get the others.

I played the Atari ST version (in emulator), as it looks and sounds much nicer, and the versions are identical gameplay wise.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary (1993)
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (1994)

These 2 are are so much better than any of the Star Trek games that had come out before them it's not even funny. As far as average adventure game quality 25th is ok, but JR is really good. But what really pushes them into great territory is the care put into detail, and the voice acting. The latter can be variable in quality; sometimes it becomes obvious that they were each sitting in front of a microphone trying to record an immense amount of text in as little time as possible. McCoy is most prone to this (Kelley was practically retired by then), and Spock comes across best as unemotional delivery is frequently part of the character. That said, sometimes they hit the nail on the head with laser precision; one particular "Spock!" is uttered by McCoy with such perfectly modulated exasperation that I burst out laughing. After some time you really start seeing their faces when they talk, no matter how small and pixelated the sprites are. The supporting Enterprise cast is heard a lot less (though each gets their moment in the spotlight in JR) but are still a pleasure. The amateur casting, by comparison, is pretty bad, though just about what you'd expect. There are some pleasant surprises in there though. Tom Wyner does a great impersonation of the late Roger Carmel (I jumped out of my chair when I first heard him, thinking Carmel had come back from the dead); JR sees the return of Trelane, and William Campbell does a fantastic job reprising him.

The games are infamous for the space dogfight sequences. 25th's are really quite awful, and although Interplay released a patch to make them optional for the floppy version, for some inexplicable reason they stayed mandatory in the CD version (which came out mere weeks after the patch!). JR makes them optional AND adds a difficulty slider; on easy they're actually not too bad and provide a nice break from the planetside excursions. Otherwise both are traditional adventure games, with the usual object manipulations. 25th is a series of unrelated episodes with average quality puzzles. JR has some standalone stories but also an overarching plot of sorts, and puzzles in are better and can actually be quite good. The JR finale is quite memorable, as it's a very dialogue-heavy puzzle that fits the series quite well in tone. There are a TON of in-game clues throughout both games, which you can get by scanning everything and talking to your landing party. I was quite shocked that each and every crew member has a unique line or short dialogue, for each and every screen in both games. With everything being voiced (and even more lines going to Nimoy, since his tricorder has a TON of info on pretty much everything), I had an immense amount of fun just listening to all the banter and the analyses, even when the solution was obvious. There's a reason I spent so much time talking about the voices, they add a LOT to the game. Both games also have a really good MT-32 soundtrack.

I really enjoyed replaying both. The CD versions are highly recommended if you like P&C adventures, and absolute must-plays if you're a TOS fan.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Great reviews; one of the first games of any kind I bought in a store was Judgment Rites, and nothing could have been better luck for a young kid's first video game. I still rank it in my personal top 5 after 30 years; it is a masterpiece among adventure games. I'm glad that among fans, 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are recognised by consensus as the best of the best. There are sadly a lot of clickbait recommendations online that don't even mention most PC games, clearly having been written by a PS2/Xbox 360 owner sometime after Star Trek games died in 2003. Hopefully this thread can be the definitive guide on the internet.
The Kobayashi Alternative (1985-1987) First Contact (1988) The Promethean Prophecy (1986)

Those text-based adventures would be prime material for a remaster, as it would take very little effort to give them a modern GUI. Then again, Star Trek is full of great potential for video games, that 99% of the time will never happen. You could even, for example, use something like the engine from 'Star Trek: Resurgence', to animate some of the Pocket Books stories, like Shatner's "Shatnerverse" novels, using the Spock voice actor from Resurgence alongside Shatner for "Spock's World", or get say Andrew Robinson to narrate Garak in an interactive movie adaptation of "A Stitch in Time". The lost Motion Picture era could be great.

Starfleet Command Gold (2000) You get to play as one of six (!) different factions (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, and 2 that are creations of SFB, Lyran and Hydran).
Here is an image from the original material of Starfleet Command II (plus the Mirak and ISC), for anyone curious who didn't play them:

cBZXSxO.jpg

In my head canon, all those minor empires are still around, as are the Elasi from 'Judgment Rites' and the Chodak from 'A Final Unity' :)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm glad that among fans, 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are recognised by consensus as the best of the best.
Indeed, they are.
The grand trio of friends (Kirk, Spock and Bones) are all voiced splendidly by their original actors. Really good games, classic Star Trek.
What is your opinion on Elite Force 1 and 2? They are both FPS games. Elite Force 1 is credited with bringing back Star Trek games as something to take seriously. It also takes place sometime during the original Voyager series, when the ship and crew are stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Elite Force 2 takes place during the time Voyager finally gets back to Earth and then one year after Nemesis.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
This is an expanded Top 40 Star Trek Games. It is is intended to be the definitive guide to Star Trek gaming on the internet. There are roughly 50 serious Star Trek games in total, featuring a single player narrative or strategic campaign. They were released between 1971 and 2023. I am not counting mobile, arcade, pinball, or gambling type 'games', but only games intended to simulate the Star Trek universe earnestly, i.e. the game is presented as being from an in-universe perspective. I haven't played every Star Trek title, but will review more, as I complete playthroughs of more games.

01). Star Trek: The Next Generation - Birth of the Federation (PC)
Developer: MicroProse | Publisher: Hasbro Interactive | 1999

qHLFFdM.jpg

Verdict: Timeless

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com, abandonware, free Windows 10 compatible download at ArmadaFleetCommand.com

Canonicity: Not aiming for canonicity, nevertheless really faithful in spirit

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation (or BOTF), is one of the best 4X space games ever created, largely due to how well it replicates the experience of exploring and colonizing new worlds in Star Trek. It contains five major empires; The Federation, The Klingon Empire, The Romulan Empire, The Cardassian Union and The Ferengi Alliance. Many minor alien civilizations can be discovered, such as Vulcans, Andorians, Anticans or Selay; they can be persuaded to join you, or conquered by planetary invasion, and they will react to your faction according to their cultural ideals.

The game is explicitly non-canonical, since you are unfolding an alternative history of the major political entities of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, and certain starships specific to the 23rd or 24th century will be present earlier in the scientific development of your civilization. However, considering all that, the general tone and aesthetic is absolutely dedicated to the source material. Right down to the names of buildings, computer descriptions of major scientific breakthroughs and acts of espionage. It is spectacularly faithful, considering it presents an alternate history.

02). Star Trek: Judgement Rites (PC)
Developer: Interplay Entertainment | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1993

eJpLGz5.jpg

Availability: Originally released on floppy disk and CD-ROM, currently available on Steam and GOG.com

Canonicity: Very high, practically canonical

Absolutely the best point-and-click adventure game I have ever played. Star Trek: Judgement Rites was the last video game to feature the entire Original Series cast reprising their roles as voice actors. It's hard to convey to someone who may have never played a point-and-click adventure game, how good this game is. Judgement Rites is utterly faithful to the source material. Not only that, but the puzzles are actually quite logical, as long as you take time to absorb evidence and investigate; they can be solved using reason, logical hypothesis and previous experience. It's a better RPG than most RPGs.

You can scan, investigate or observe almost every object in the game, and an appropriate description will be presented. In a long tradition with Star Trek games, there is even an entire in-game ship's library that could serve as a reasonably complete Star Trek encyclopedia in it's own right, including plausible additional information never seen in the show. The premise of each mission is so appropriate and thematically true to Star Trek, that you will feel like you are playing a lost season of classic television, which is the highest compliment that you can give to a Star Trek game, or any licensed game.

03). Star Trek: Klingon Academy (PC)
Developer: 14 Degrees East | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 2000

GXRytzz.png

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com, recently patched to Windows 10 with an installer at KlingonAcademy.com

Star Trek: Klingon Academy is regarded as the pinnacle of Star Trek space sim games. The game was actually pretty advanced for it's time but overlooked by many gamers due to the company's demise. It featured damage maps allowing you to blow pieces off ships, exposing decks to space, which might have been the first such instance in a 3D flight sim. What really sets this game apart however, is the sheer lengths the developers took to make this game an immersive depiction of Klingon society.

Oh boy, Christopher Plumber reprising his role as General Chang, and David Warner as the soon Chancellor Gorkon. "Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!" Shakespeare quoting theatrics. A Klingon Opera soundtrack by Inon Zur, composer of Baldur's Gate. Star Trek: Klingon Academy is yet another game so ambitious by the standards of today that it beggars belief now, in an age where video games rarely attempt such a deep dive into a fictional setting, rarely allowing you to play as the villains.

It is a decent enough space flight sim, elevated to legendary status by the writing, story, and full motion videos of Klingons teaching battle tactics and thoughtful galactic geopolitics to the students under their command. Feel what it means, to decloak your bird-of-prey, rain terror upon the enemy, and uphold lurDech.

04). Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity (PC)
Developer: Spectrum HoloByte | Publisher: MicroProse | 1995

40yzfQ8.png

Verdict: Great

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com, abandonware, requires DOSBox

Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity was the Next Generation's own point-and-click adventure game in the style of Interplay's two legendary adventure games, 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites. It lacked some of the detailed design features of the Interplay games, so that the environments are generally less interactive, but remains the most faithful reproduction of the Next Generation era, and has a very cool plot.

The story begins with the near-Romulan offshoot known as the Garidians, who are a protectorate of the Romulan Empire; they are after several dissident archeologists from a religious minority, who believe they can prevent civil war on Garid by discovering ancient artifacts. Gradually over the course of the game, you uncover more evidence and learn about a massive alien structure, which was created by a lost ancient civilization. Events escalate dramatically.

The entire Next Generation voice cast are present, and as usual deliver a great performance as the characters they have played over years of their career. The game features a surprisingly extensive star map, with probably hundreds of systems, however most of the systems are empty aside from descriptions of planetary characteristics (it is still impressive when developers take the time and care to add all this optional detail).

05). EGA Trek (PC)
Developer: Arcanum Computing | Publisher: Sofsource Inc | 1988

SQ3I3ge.png

Availability: Originally shared on floppy disk, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com, requires DOSBox, licensing issues mean only the later non-Star Trek re-skin is officially shared

Canonicity: Not aiming for canoncity, nevertheless really faithful in spirit

A 1988 update of the 1971 classic text-based Star Trek war game; this version added graphics. The original starship simulator started Star Trek gaming with an amazing level of detail and quality. This ultimate version was created by Nels Anderson in 1988. It was shared widely by geeks across the world, passed around at work, and was remarkable in it's scope. This game will be a tough sell to modern audiences because of the graphics, but is actually still brilliant in conception; trust the simulation and content over the old graphics. It would make for an incredible official remake, simply graphically updating the warships, but left 100% identical in specifics.

The premise of the game is that war has broken out between the United Federation of Planets, and the Klingon Empire. You are debriefed on the situation and the capabilities of a Constitution-class starship. During the debrief in which you are presented with the latest intelligene reports, you learn the main keboard controls, such as raising or lowering shields, and engaging warp drive. You can dock at starbases, land away teams on planets by either shuttlecraft or transporter, and must defeat hostile starships throughout an eight by eight grid of subsectors. Difficulties range from Lt. Commander, Commander, Captain, Commodore to Admiral, adding additional hazard.

Note that only version 1.0, 2.0 and 2.31 of EGA Trek are Star Trek games, before the names and visuals had to be changed to comply with licencing. The re-skinned version which is often seen on abandonware sites, replaces the Federation and USS Enterprise with a generic science fiction setting and USS Lexington.

06). Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (PC)
Developer: Interplay Entertainment | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1992

kWu6Ac8.jpg

Availability: Originally released on floppy disk and CD-ROM, currently available on Steam and GOG.com

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary is the direct predecessor to Star Trek: Judgement Rites, one of the best sci-fi games I have played. Again, you control the starship Enterprise on it's five-year mission to explore strange new worlds and seek out new civilizations. Engaging in ship operations on the bridge, and then beaming down on away missions to planets, asteroids and space stations.

Why does this game, Judgement Rite's direct predecessor, which features almost identical graphics, usually score a little lower than it's sequel? The reason is that it while is still good, it is a slightly less polished game, with writing that was not yet as refined as it's sequel. While still of huge interest, with unique scenarios in the Star Trek universe, like a visit to a Klingon colony, the game is shorter and more variable in the quality of it's missions.

One area where it falls short of it's sequel is interactivity and puzzle design. Where Judgement Rites puzzles are logical, there will occasionally be times in 25th Anniversary where you resort to trial and error, with slightly less detailed or interactive elements, and in general the missions are shorter. However I don't wish to under-sell what is still a great point-and-click game, as it is still more interactive than most point-and-click adventures (e.g. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis).

07). Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (PC)
Developer: Interplay Entertainment | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1997

PX5OCdB.png

Availability:
Originally released on CD-ROM, currently available on Steam and GOG.com

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy was the first of Interplay's two great starship flight sim games, featuring full-motion video cutscenes, with interactive dialogue choices, which were filmed in remarkable quality nonwithstanding budget, with correct costumes, and pre-rendered backgrounds similar to Westwood's Dune games. The game and it's expansion pack feature William Shatner, George Takei and Walter Koenig reprising their roles as Captain James T Kirk, Captain Hikaru Sulu, and Commander Pavel Chekov as they instruct a class of Starfleet Academy students in simulated missions, while a terrorist threat to the Federation looms.

Interplay again managed something special. Like it's sequel Klingon Academy, this game is essentially a lost movie between the Original Series films, featuring a plausible story that could easily be fully canonical to the TV shows and movies. It even depicts an Andorian crewman in your class, which was the only live-action portrayal of one after Star Trek: The Original Series until Star Trek: Enterprise, a gap of 34 years. Where some people might today have a hard time with the graphics of older games, if you can look past the game engine to the ideas beneath, this is still a remarkable simulation of Starfleet's operations.

08). Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard (PC)
Developer: MicroProse | Publisher: MicroProse | 1998

bwZQfsU.jpg

Availability:
Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com, abandonware, may require some tweaking, or a Glide wrapper such as dgVoodoo to work

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard is an amazing concept given life as a game; to play as an alien soldier from one of Star Trek's many non-human empires, in an Unreal-like boomer shooter, with not a single human character present in the entire game. The premise, is that you play as an elite warrior on a quest to prevent an evil faction taking control of the Klingon Empire, after an assassination attempt on the Chancellor. During these missions you will find yourself on the surface of planetoids like the asteroid gulag Rura Penthe, or seedy Qualor II, hunting down Andorian starship commanders and fighting alien mercinaries.

Fans of shooters may find that the gameplay does not quite live up to the timeless greats of the genre like Quake and Unreal, but considering the game is a licensed product set in an imaginative corner of the Star Trek setting, it gains additional points for fascination, and any gameplay shortcomings are more forgivable. There are quite a lot of interesting creatures and planetary environments, such as the rat-sized Tar Chop, which seems to be the main pest animal across Klingon space, or dog-like targ. As you cut through your foes with disruptor rifles and a bat'leth, the protagnoist will occasionally yell things like "I am the Hand of Kahless! I am Death!" Based Klingons.

09). Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force (PC)
Developer: Raven Software | Publisher: Activision | 2000

WH4rlBP.png

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, currently available on GOG.com

Canonicity: Medium to high potential canonicity

The premise of Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force is a little harder to fit into on-screen canon than some of the earlier games in this list. You play as a new special forces team formed by Captain Janeway and Lt Commander Tuvok to deal with serious threats while in the Delta Quadrant; they are known as Hazard Squad. Since no force of this kind is ever seen in the show, despite some situations where such a team being onboard the USS Voyager would have been useful, the game is one that I would rate as slightly lower in terms of canonicity than most of those mentioned above. However, now that far worse has been done to Star Trek's internal logic in the years since Star Trek: Voyager ended, this seems like a minor complaint.

What Elite Force represents is either the best, or second-best first-person-shooter created within the Star Trek setting. Some may prefer Klingon Honor Guard, or may not be able to play that game, which is harder to run today on modern Windows 10 systems. Where Elite Force shines is again it's faithfulness to Voyager, and interesting environments, including experiencing what it's like to move through a Borg ship, where drones will ignore you until you present a threat. Every game on this list so far, was clearly a labor of love. Initially the only voice cast missing was Jeri Ryan as Seven of Nine, but she was patched in subsequently, and is available in the GOG.com release, along with the ability to walk around Voyager.

10). Star Trek: Generations (PC)
Developer: MicroProse | Publisher: MicroProse | 1997

qmBfMq9.png

Verdict: Good

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com, abandonware, difficult to run on modern systems, but not impossible

Canonicity: Low to medium potential canonicity

How can I convey that a Doom clone from 1997, which is virtually forgotton, is actually a really good overlooked Star Trek game, worth playing by fans today? It sounds like some kind of blind nostalgia, but let me justify it shortly. First, a little bit of background: This game was intended as a tie-in for the film Star Trek: Generations, but over-ran it's schedule so much, that it wound up being released around the time of the sequel Star Trek: First Contact. The fact that it tied into an old, averagely-liked film, is probably a big reason why it was forgotten. However although the basic plot of Dr Tolian Soran wanting to re-enter a paradise dimension known as The Nexus remains, the plot is expanded hugely beyond the film, adding missions on multiple planets, and expanding Soran's interaction with the Romulan Empire and Klingon renegades.

The reason this game is really interesting, is that it is almost like a point-and-click adventure game in first person; it has an inventory system, puzzles, a star map, multiple planets, space combat (albeit rudimentary), and although theoretically an adaptation of the movie, it is more like it's own mini-series. You can infiltrate a Romulan base, infiltrate a Klingon air-field full of bird-of-prey starships, visit a living planet, or archeological ruins. It is more a sequel to Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity, MicroProse's previous game, than a tie-in game. The entire voice cast are present again, and as usual this elevates the game a huge amount. It is of course very hard to fit into screen canon, however this was a really faithful game from MicroProse, even though this is the first game on the list which perhaps explicitly contradicts established events.

Part of the reason it is rated good instead of great, is my uncertainty over how much tolerance people will have for some of the older design choices, like the inventory screen taking up half of the visible window, and the compatability problems that make this the hardest game to get running on the list so far, by a wide margin.

11). Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen (PC)
Developer: The Collective | Publisher: Simon and Schuster | 2000

PtavExk.png

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen is based upon the trilogy of DS9 novels known as the Millennium series by long time Star Trek authors Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. The three protagonists of the game, Kira, Sisko and Worf, sort of serve as a difficulty setting, with Kira generally being seen as the easiest due to her having a recharging Bajoran phaser, and Worf as the hardest being the most combat heavy. Each of the three paths through the game have different missions, and visit locations in a different order, which include the space station, the planet Bajor, and USS Defiant. Most of the cast reprise their roles with great performances, except Avery Brooks as Sisko, which is disappointing as he is one of the three playable characters.

The Fallen is more of an adventure game than a shooter, with elements of light platforming, swimming and climbing in addition to third person shooting and use of the tricorder. It is a solid game, but perhaps not quite as packed with extras as the higher games on the list, such as the ability to read extensive lore entries in a codex. The main enemies are the Grigari, an alien race from the fringes of known space who want a Bajoran orb, and the Cult of the Pah-Wraiths, who believe the Bajoran prophets are false gods. In general The Fallen is regarded as one of the strongest Star Trek games, but is only 11 on the list, due to the added imagination and verisimilitude of the other games mentioned earlier.

12). Star Trek: Starfleet Command (PC)
Developer: 14 Degrees East & Quicksilver Software | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 1999

iwqNwyS.png

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, currently available on Steam and GOG.com

Canonicity: Not aiming for canonicity

Star Trek: Starfleet Command is a wargame based on the popular Star Fleet Battles tabletop system invented in 1979. It may be of more interest to wargamers than other titles on this list. It does not feature a full story campaign, but rather just lets you battle as a starship from one of six factions, the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Gorn, Hydrans and Lyrans, performing randomized missions. The latter two civilizations were invented for the Starfleet Command games, and re-appear in the sequels, as mid-tier empires situated between the major powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The game focuses upon ship-to-ship starship combat. It is mouse-driven, involving using novel weapon powers like mines at the right time, akin to a sailing ship simulator (as opposed to a flight sim in the Starfleet Academy series), and allows you to conquer different systems on a hexagonal grid map by winning battles. Clicking on a star system will yield different mission types like patrols or open battles.

Starfleet Command games were a fairly popular Star Trek game their day, but they were less interesting to me personally at the time, due to lacking a strong narrative, to give you a reason to play or invest in the outcome of your ship's actions. Their intent was more to provide a combat sim with infinite missions. The story is that the Organians have disappeared, rendering the Organian Peace Treaty, negotiated between the UFP and Klingon Empire after TOS "Errand of Mercy" invalid. This leads to the return of open hostilities between the major empires.

I don't want to under-sell the series, all three are solid, and would perhaps merit a higher position on the list depending on how much people enjoy wargaming, and combat for it's own sake; they were also quite tactical, featuring ship abilities like laying mines. This is the series to explore if you enjoy capital ship duels, like you might find in a game such as Battlefleet Gothic: Armada. They also aspire to be very immersive, despite being based on a splinter of the main franchise. This is not a cheap mobile game like what you would see produced today.

13). Star Trek: Starfleet Command II - Empires at War (PC)
Developer: Taldren | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 2000

lIxqewq.png

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com

There isn't much to add regarding this game that separates it from it's predecessor as an adaptation of the Star Fleet Battles wargame, except to say that this one had more of a story, an intro cutscene featuring the voice of George Takei as Captain Sulu, and expanded with new factions. For some reason Starfleet Command II is unavailable online. Yet Starfleet Command III, which was an attempt at continuation by Activision, is fairly widely available on platforms like GOG.com, perhaps due to some licensing issue, or technical compatibility issues.

The story involves the return of the Organians after their prior disappearance in the first Starfleet Command game, with a political superpower called the Interstellar Concordium, from elsewhere in the galaxy, brought in almost like military contractors, to subjugate the major powers of the alpha and beta quadrants, and impose peace upon all factions through military force. Needless to say, all factions resent having their freedoms, self-determination and foreign policy dictated by the Organians, and prepare to resist the ISC's invasion of local space.

14). Star Trek: Starfleet Command - Orion Pirates (PC)
Developer: Taldren | Publisher: Interplay Entertainment | 2001

FxjeZop.jpg

Verdict:
Good

Stand-alone expansion pack for Starfleet Command II: Empires at War, which adds campaigns for 12 different Orion Pirate cartels. It has no campaigns specific to the major political powers such as the Federation and Klingons, just a generic one against pirates. Some people consider it to be the definitive way to experience Starfleet Command II, because it has the most starships, and is the final Star Fleet Battles adaptation set in the classic era.

15). Star Trek: Starfleet Command III (PC)
Developer: Taldren | Publisher: Activision | 2002

zcZA2Dn.jpg

Despite an unusual change of publisher mid-series, Starfleet Command III is considered another solid entry in the series of Star Fleet Battles adaptations. This time the game decided to take the rules of the previous games and apply them to the TNG era. I prefer the TOS motion picture setting, so was less fond of this one, but it was praised for a well-written story, and RPG-like progression. The game's story is closely related to Star Trek: Nemesis. A joint peace station, Unity One, is created by the Federation and Klingon governments. It is targetted by their enemies as a means to drive a wedge between the Federation-Klingon Alliance. You play a campaigns as a Klingon, Romulan and Starfleet captain. Like many games of the era, it features the voice of Patrick Stewart as Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

16). Star Trek: Bridge Commander (PC)
Developer: Totally Games | Publisher: Activision | 2002

ZyW7s41.png

In Star Trek: Bridge Commander, you play an inexperienced starship captain, who is elevated to a command position onboard the USS Dauntless after the previous captain is killed when on a space station whose star goes supernova. The Cardassians are suspected of involvement, and together with the crew of the Dauntless, it's up to you to follow leads and undertake a variety of missions, being promoted across your career, and talking to other commanders on the viewscreen. It is a very faithful representation of bridge operations in Star Trek's 24th century. It also again features cameos, this time by Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard and Brent Spiner and Lt. Commander Data.

Bridge Commander has quite a good reputation online, and it is undoubtedly the best starship simulator released after Klingon Academy, but I think that some of it's reputation is enhanced due to how it was for a long time, the only starship simulator game that ran on modern systems easily, with many of the earlier games, particularity Klingon Academy, being completely unavailable or incompatible for a long period in the 2000s and 2010s, and launched on an unwieldy six CD-ROMs. It was relatively easy to acquire and run, so perhaps was remembered for things that some players were unaware had actually been done before.

That is not to belittle the game, the only reason I mention this, is because while Bridge Commander is excellent at what it does, it is quite narrowly focused on simulating just a few aspects of starship operations, without say the ability to explore the ship, look up lovingly written lore entries in the computer, or land anywhere as part of an away team (which would have elevated it to greatness, and was much more technically possible by this time). Those are just minor regrets, and the game can't be faulted otherwise.

17). Star Trek: Legacy (PC, XB360)
Developer: Mad Doc Software | Publisher: Bethesda Softworks | 2006

n5w47nH.jpg

Availability: Originally released on DVD, currently unavailable on Steam or GOG.com

I would say that Star Trek: Legacy was the only decent game to come out of the post-2003 dark age in Star Trek gaming. Essentially it was a Starfleet Command style game, but created for console with the Xbox 360 in mind. The 360 version played significantly better than the PC port, although I hear that the PC one may have been modded well in recent years. It was probably the best looking Star Trek game, owing to being one of the last major single-player releases that the franchise ever got, and the only major release in the seventh console generation (Xbox 360 and PS3).

The story revolved around a plot occurring over all ENT, TOS and TNG eras; the 22nd, 23rd and 24th centuries. It perhaps played a little looser with continuity than earlier, more faithful, games. Where it shone however was a very impressive roster of ships, and many interesting scenarios. The ENT era campaign featured a speculative view of the Romulan War for example. It is notable for having united all the captains in one game. William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, and Scott Bakula all lend their voice talents. Avery Brooks in particular seems to rarely do voice work for Star Trek games, as seen by his absence from 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen'.

The Star Trek license in the past, seems to have been handed out on a show-by-show basis. You would have games set during Kirk's era. You would have games set during Picard's era. You would have Deep Space Nine games and Voyager games. Beginning from this time, when the franchise left television, the studios started handing out a general Star Trek license. As such, games were increasingly tempted to unite all the different eras in one campaign, which sometimes gets handled badly damaging periodisation. However, the plot was fairly competent in this instance.

18). Star Trek: Elite Force II (PC)
Developer: Ritual Entertainment | Publisher: Activision | 2003

29xBMCT.png

Canonicity: High potential canonicity

After the end of Star Trek: Voyager, the Hazard Squad formed in the first Elite Force is dismissed, as Voyager's crew return home, or are reassigned, or await Voyager's next mission. However Starfleet, and Captain Picard, recognize that the squad would be ideal for assignment for special missions onboard the Enterprise E, and the game picks on in the time after Star Trek: Nemesis. Soon they find themselves facing a living biological weapon; the Exomorphs.

While the first Elite Force game is one of the ten best Star Trek games, and one of the last good Star Trek games after Activision took over the license (with Bridge Commander being another), the sequel was a bit of a step down, while remaining very playable today. They were both re-released on GOG.com weeks ago. On the one hand, it's a decent plot that you will enjoy as a fan, but it had annoying and repetitive enemies, a common problem in some shooters from the 2000s, as well as some other gameplay letdowns. Personally, I dislike non-sentient bug-like enemies in games, and prefer facing intelligent foes, so missions with other enemies are far more enjoyable. There were some legitimately inspiring levels in Elite Force, but in general some of the missions feel more generic in the sequel. If you have played the first, it is still definatly worth a playthrough however.

19). Star Trek: Armada (PC)
Developer: Activision | Publisher: Activision | 2000

uCbthz0.png

Set just after the end of the Dominion War in the 24th century, Star Trek: Armada's story is about different factions, including the Borg, trying to obtain the Omega particle, a vastly dangerous power source that Starfleet wishes to prevent being used due to it's potential for devastation. There is a Federation, Klingon, Romulan and Borg campaign. The voice cast includes the return of Denise Crosby as Commander Sela, one of The Next Generation's primary antagonists.

It was inevitable that someone would try to make a Star Trek RTS game in the style of Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Age of Empire or Starcraft at some point, probably using starships, since ground combat isn't really a huge part of Star Trek (this was tried in the poorly recieved Star Trek: New Worlds). Armada was a fairly good game, with a decent story, and people still play and mod it today, like many games on this list. The long running fan website ArmadaFleetCommand.com is based in Armada modding.

However, one problem I have with Armada is that the RTS genre does not really fit Star Trek's setting well, i.e. it's internal logic. Activision attempt to paste Command & Conquer style gameplay into Star Trek, turning starships into disposable units. A starship like the Enterprise E, is crewed by hundreds, and probably takes months to build in a drydock. People serve on them for years, they become a home. In the game, you can print vessels like cars, fling them into combat, and get them destroyed minutes into their career. This is why I have ranked neither game that high on the list, despite their decent gameplay, which might be fine if they were an unrelated science fiction.

20). Star Trek: Tactical Assault (DS, PSP)
Developer: Quicksilver Software | Publisher: Bethesda Softworks | 2006

HDBitOa.png

Availability: Originally released on DS and PSP cartridge, unavailable on Nintento eShop or PSN

This game is really the closest thing to a Starfleet Command spiritual sequel that you can get, and basically feels like a spinoff of the Starfleet Command series, but with more story features than in the mainline series, such as little cartoon avatars of different characters speaking, as in a JRPG. You may also have noticed it is developed by one of the original developers of Starfleet Command series from 1999. The game also has some added interest, because it is the only decent Star Trek game available on a handheld console, which outside of it's merits purely as a game may make it an appealing target for second hand purchase for Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS or Sony PSP owners who are Star Trek fans. It is however also limited by it's confinement to the screen size and controls of a handheld console.

21). Star Trek: Invasion (PS1)
Developer: Warthog Games | Publisher: Activision | 2000

eNpv4H6.png

Availability: Originally released on PS1 disk, unavailable on PSN

In Star Trek, capital ship combat is the main focus of the setting, with big warships pummeling each other with phaser fire, or photon torpedos, making slow and deliberate tactical decisions, hiding in asteroid fields, and waiting each other out like submarines. The setting isn't that well known for fighter combat, which is more Star Wars's speciality. However, several episodes, like DS9's 'Sacrifice of Angels', during which wings of attack fighters were seen being used during "Operation Return" to retake Deep Space Nine from the Dominion, show that small shuttlecraft-sized fighters do exist, and are used in a few limited roles.

Star Trek: Invasion is a fighter ship combat game for the PS1, that is fondly remembered by those who played it, although I myself didn't, so am attempting to rank it based on what others have said. The familiar character from the series this time is Worf, voiced by Michael Dorn, who directs the player's missions, during a single player campaign focused on the Romulans, Borg and mysterious Kam'Jahtae. The actual gameplay seems decent, especially for the standards of the PS1 era, but I can't personally attest to how good it is, or if there are any hidden annoyances, like excessive fragility of fighter vessels, or poor maneuvering in tight spaces. Worth a look for fans who have played everything else I think.

22). Star Trek: Klingon (PC)
Developer: Simon & Schuster | Publisher: Simon & Schuster | 1996

aEUOgPN.png

The next two games on this list were hard to place, as they are essentially visual novels, made with full motion video, featuring appearances by some of Star Trek's most famous guest stars. In this case, Robert O'Reilly's Gowron appears in a holodeck program designed to teach the player Klingon culture, through immersion studies. The game may be of particular interest to people fascinated by the extensive fictional culture of the Klingon species. Along with Star Trek: Borg, the game seems to be abandonware, and isn't for sale on GOG.com or any other outlet that I know of. It may have compatibility issues, and the videos may look low resolution today.

23). Star Trek: Borg (PC)
Developer: Simon & Schuster | Publisher: Simon & Schuster | 1996

KaKJrzi.png

Star Trek: Borg is the other interactive movie, or visual novel type game aside from Star Trek: Klingon. The game features John de Lancie as Q. Cadet Qaylan Furlong is given the chance by Q, to go back in time to the famous Battle of Wolf 359, where Starfleet was devastated, and save his father dying at the hands of the Borg. You get to experience the events of that time from the perspective of an out of his time Cadet, with Q providing humor and commentary periodically. Like Star Trek: Klingon, this seems to be abandonware, and is not officially available for sale anywhere.

24). Star Trek: Resurgence (PC, PS4, PS5, XB1, XBSX)
Developer: Dramatic Labs | Publisher: Bruner House | 2023

I28gpWQ.jpg

Availability: Currently available new on blu-ray, or as a download on PSN, Xbox Games Store and Epic Games Store

This is the first story-driven single-player Star Trek game of note in about 20 years. It is a Telltale visual novel type game, which should give you an idea of what to expect, if you have ever played those. It consists of dialogue choices, episodes of cutscene-driven story, interspersed with simple puzzles, QTEs and occasional shooting.

The game is set in 2380, roughly one year after the events of 'Star Trek: Nemesis', the same year as 'Star Trek: Elite Force II', making it the furthest Star Trek game in the timeline other than 'Star Trek Online'. It takes place on the Centaur-class USS Resolute, a science vessel. You control two members of the crew; newly appointed First Officer Jara Rydek, and engineering crewman Carter Diaz. The Resolute is ordered to proceed to Hotari Prime, to negotiate a peace between two contending alien species, the Hotari and Alydians. Along the way, myteries unfold, as an energy field suspends all starship travel in the vacinity of the planet. The plot heavily features the long dead Tkon Empire, from Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Last Outpost", which flourished 600,000 years before the rise of the United Federation of Planets. Ambassador Spock and Captain William T Riker make tasteful appearances.

The only reason this may seem low on the list, is that Star Trek: Borg and Star Trek: Klingon are existing great games in the interactive movie genre. Some people may find Telltale-style games, with their abundance of Quick Time Events annoying. As ever, a person's tolerance for gameplay deficiencies may depend entirely on how much they crave new Star Trek stories. You can overcome design choices others would feel less tolerance for; they can even be transformed into a positive feature if it is faithful to the show. I feel that with a bit more experience, Dramatic Labs might create better games of this kind, assuming they produce more Star Trek games.

25). Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger (PC)
Developer: Stormfront Studios | Publisher: Viacom New Media | 1996

xXSmqlv.png

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, currently unavailable on Steam and GOG.com

An envoy called Bannick is sent to the Gamma Quadrant, to make contact with a newly discovered alien race. Upon return, he finds that Deep Space Nine has been evacuated due to a plasma storm, leaving only the command staff, after he is attacked by hostile drones, forcing a crash landing. The game features the entire voice cast of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and is well regarded. It is perhaps just a little less famous than the other classic Star Trek adventure games, 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites and A Final Unity.

26). Star Trek: The Promethean Prophesy (PC)
Developer: Trans Fiction Systems | Publisher: Simon & Schuster | 1986

IoevFt9.png

Availability: Originally released on floppy disk, abandonware, may require DOSBox

On a mission to the Prometheus system, the USS Enterprise under the command of James T Kirk, encounters a Romulan bird-of-prey, which launches an attack. Damage from the battle depletes the ship's reserves of organic matter, far from Federation territory, necessitating that Kirk investigate the system's sole habitable planet for food and supplies. The Captain orders an away team beam down to Prometheus IV, the M-class planet.

Of all the early Star Trek games that didn't yet have a graphical interphase, and were text-based, The Promethean Prophesy is the one I most frequently hear was the best. It was a little before my time as a gamer, so I haven't played this one. Obviously, some players of modern games are going to be put off by the lack of visuals. However as anyone mature knows, text can often convey more in the mind's eye than a poorly conceived visual.

27). Star Trek: Armada II (PC)
Developer: Mad Doc Software | Publisher: Activision | 2001

4CEc54S.png

Verdict: Acceptable

Canonicity: Moderate to high potential canonicity

In Armada II, Species 8472 finally make their move, with an invasion of Federation space. Unfortunately the sequel to Armada was considered the worst of the two, feeling rushed, somewhat bland and low effort. Some people may wonder why I am rating the Armada games so low on the list, when they have their fans among the RTS genre. I have explained why in greater detail above, but essentially I feel that while the gameplay is fine enough, an RTS is not really the best match for the Star Trek setting. Since Star Trek's battles are like hours-long exchanges between warships, with crewmen fighting fires, and engineers desperately fixing systems, a game featuring fewer vessels being carefully sheparded between engagements would make far more sense. Something where individual combatants are participating in a war in like Starfleet Academy or Klingon Academy, or featuring smaller fleets that are not disposable like Warhammer 40,000's excellent Battlefleet: Gothic - Armada or Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock.

28). Star Trek: Away Team (PC)
Developer: Reflexive Entertainment | Publisher: Activision | 2001

G1wcmW8.png

This game was an interesting attempt to create a Star Trek experience similar to Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, which sounds amazing as a concept, but was perhaps not the best fit for a Star Trek game. You control a deniable spec ops team aboard the USS Incursion (because this was when entertainment had to be progressively darker and more militaristic), embarking on a variety of missions across space, featuring the Borg, Romulans and Klingons. The plot revolves around countering an alien faction known as the wardens, who have attacked Federation, Klingon and Romulan settlements. This is another one that I am only familiar with second hand, through reputation, and I hear it isn't that bad, but perhaps was regarded as very average by the standards of other Star Trek games of the time, especially compared to what had come before in the 1990s. Still, that makes it better than the absolute desert of any titles since. It may be worth revisiting, as it was also just re-released on GOG.com.

29). Star Trek Online (PC, PS4, XB1)
Developer: Cryptic Studios | Publisher: Atari, Perfect World Entertainment & Gearbox | 2010

NmIgFRZ.png

Availability: Originally released on DVD and download, also released on Steam, PSN and Xbox

Canonicity: Low to moderate potential canonicity

I don't personally like MMOs for a whole host of reasons. They are catered toward groups of people, so are limited in a whole variety of ways that tailoring a game toward a single player experience is not. For example, the average MMO communal area is full of wide paths, flat spaces, because they need to host groups of people. Genuine verticality, or anything other than plains would make group gameplay difficult. For a single player, you can craft a world full of environmental storytelling, and there is no time pressure to take it in. Star Trek Online was always going to exist principally as a cash grab machine, because a single player game was always going to provide the superior Star Trek experience. An MMO exists only for one party's benefit; financial interests. The question is, did the game contain some merit, some fidelity to Star Trek, anyway?

The answer is that the game has, on occasion, some great narrative. It also has on many occasions, terrible gameplay. Endless waves of starships fighting over trivial things. The game's whale-hunting financial nature, means it takes huge liberties with canon and continuity, placing 200 year-old retired starships back into active service, just because they make recognizable consumer products for monetization. Thank heavens video games don't count as canon. This is emblematic of everything that has happened to the franchise since the 2000s, when it lost it's integrity, historical periodisation eroded, and internal consistency was ignored. I think lots of less informed fans have even started to accept elements of this game as canon, because it was the only major Star Trek game available for a decade. Thus it's damaging atttiudes to continutity started seeping into official material and fandom. Yet some credit must be given, where it is due, and what can be said postivively is that writers attempted to present genuine extensions of the Star Trek universe as it might have unfolded after Star Trek: Voyager ended and Star Trek: Nemesis took place.

Species 8472 is presented as a rising threat in the new 25th century, and other plot threads are followed up on. The ancient Iconian Empire is manipulating events from behind the scenes, and is the over-arching threat behind the game's original story. Ancient cultures are not always treated in a welcome manner, as there is a tendency to link everything in vast conspiratorial ways that diminish the scope the setting (were they official canon). It is thus simultaneously a huge disappointment as a game, while also being one of the few things many fans had during the Star Trek drought of recent times. It played a part in commercializing a coherent franchise into an increasingly incoherent merchandise grab, while also having some redeeming qualities, presumably put into the game by individual people who worked on it, who cared for their craft.

30). Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Dominion Wars (PC)
Developer: Gizmo Industries | Publisher: Simon & Schuster | 2001

TWCn2g5.jpg

Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, currently unavailable on Steam and GOG.com

This game had a lot of good things going for it, including mission briefings for the Dominion and Federation being given by real actors from the show such as Marc Alaimo as Gul Dukat, Jeffrey Combs as Weyoun and Berry Jenner as Admiral Ross. You could select your fleet, and take it into battle, making it similar to say Battlefleet Gothic: Armada or Battlestar Galactic: Deadlock. What held the game back was deemed to be overly-complicated controls, huge numbers of bugs, crashes, save game issues, and a campaign that some players found bland. In general Simon & Schuster's Star Trek games were, out of the three big licence holders of the time, quite soulless compared to the incredibly faithful Interplay and MicroProse games. This is what I have heard about Dominion Wars; it lacks a certain Star Trek atmosphere, not doing justice to DS9's final seasons.

The idea of setting a tactical game during the Dominion War is a solid conceptual plan. The game always looked good to me from screenshots, but I also seem to remember it being plagued by instability when I tried to play it. Star Trek has produced quite a few space sims and tactical games over the years. Starfleet Academy, Klingon Academy, Starfleet Command I, II, & III, Tactical Assault, Bridge Commander and Star Trek: Legacy. I would venture to say that Dominion Wars was one of the weaker entries in a very strong list of tactical starship games, but I may be overlooking it's strengths.

31). Star Trek: Bridge Crew (PC, PS4)
Developer: Red Storm Entertainment | Publisher: Ubisoft | 2017

Nrl5NBG.jpg

Availability: Originally released on blu-ray for console and download, available on Steam, available second-hand

Star Trek: Bridge Crew, which was recently pulled from sales on some platforms last year, is a VR game in which you simulate bridge operations on a starship. While you could theoretically play solo, the idea was really to gather friends and pretend to be the bridge crew together online, in a VR environment, probably inspired by 'Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator'. I personally don't find multiplayer appealing.

There just wasn't enough to justify this game existing, in my opinion. Past the initial interest, what are you going to do once the gimmick of VR wears off? Playing randomly generated quests and stuff is going to get boring after the first few without narrative. Then again, some people say they enjoy playing it even without VR, so maybe I am wrong, and it's a half-decent spiritual follow-on to 2002's Bridge Commander.

32). Star Trek: Hidden Evil (PC)
Developer: Presto Studios | Publisher: Activision | 1999

f5bQFty.png

Verdict: Mediocre

Availability:
Originally released on CD-ROM, currently available on GOG.com

This was the last major attempt to create a Star Trek adventure game in the style of Interplay and MicroProse classics. Sadly, it wasn't a good game. The problem was it's gameplay, rather than it's conception. The game was rushed out in one year of development, but even so, the choices made by the developer are really baffling, like they just didn't know what worked from past gaming experience. The developer chose to use Resident Evil style tank controls, but made combat extremely annoying, and even pressing switches requires you to equip your hands like an inventory item. Simply testing the game briefly would have revealed that numerous things create unneccecary user annoyance. Thankfully the story is only around 4 hours if you want to experience it's narrative and lore.

The story is a direct sequel to Star Trek: Insurrection, in which Picard and Data embark on an archeological expedition on the Ba'ku planet, newly settled by the remnants of the Son'a. They find that it was once inhabited by another ancient civilization, billions of years before the Ba'ku migrated there. This civilization either utilized or was responsible for the life-giving metaphasic energy the planet is known for, responsible for it's 'fountain of youth' properties. It is strongly implied that this primordial civilization was the same 'First Humanoids' from Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Chase", including using the same voice actress who played the early humanoid holographic recording in that episode.

33). Star Trek: The Next Generation - Echoes From the Past (SMD)
Developer: Spectrum HoloByte | Publisher: Sega | 1994

1Jmyy3V.png

Availability:
Originally released on cartridge, not available officially online, available second-hand

Here is a console release that wasn't simplified into something like an arcade shooter. The majority of Star Trek console games have been very poor; this early one at least attempted to do something ambitious, but didn't succeed too well. It is made by 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity' and developer Spectrum Holobyte, later merged into the legendary MicroProse. However, it is unfortunatly limited by the platform it exists on, where it is a chore to control any kind of game involving puzzles, dialogue and the usual things present in a Star Trek adventure game. Something more RPG-like akin to Shadowrun, might have been better. This can't be recommended unfortunately, but if you have the patience, it might have a suprisingly strong narrative for a console game.

34). Star Trek: The Next Generation - Future's Past (SNES)
Developer: Spectrum HoloByte | Publisher: Spectrum HoloByte | 1994

lNko00S.jpg

Availability:
Originally released on cartridge, not available officially online, available second-hand

The SNES counterpart to 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - Eches of the Past' on Sega Megadrive/Genesis. They are different enough that they deserve separate entries, but sadly I can't reccomend them despite Spectrum Holobyte's later excellent work on 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity', one of the best Star Trek games of all time. The Sega Genesis and SNES hardware, and the 3-button and 4 button control pads are just not right for a complex Star Trek adventure game.

35). Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Crossroads of Time (SMD)
Developer: Novotrade International | Publisher: Playmates Interactive | 1995

GP6Q0Id.png

Availability:

A Star Trek platformer, like the SNES Star Wars games. It had clunky gameplay, but nice graphics. It does have a story, featuring a description, in the manual, of tensions on Bajor, and a Cardassian warship visiting the station. However, I haven't ever watched all the cinematic screens, so don't know how this develops. The prospect of turning Commander Sisko into a platform protagonist like Samus Aran, is an amusingly novel use of the Star Trek licence. This might be a more playable format in which to develop a Star Trek game for 16-bit consoles, than the adventure games mentioned above for Megadrive and SNES; it at least had good pixel art work.

36). Star Trek: New Worlds (PC)
Developer: Binary Asylum | Publisher: 14 Degrees East | 2000

3CcTpYK.jpg

Availability:
Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com

In 2287, a spacial rift opens up a new star cluster rich in resources, called the Tabula Rasa. The Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan Star Empire rush to exploit, colonise and claim the planets within before the other empires can gain this strategic boon. You are tasked with building the colony's structures, and defending them with ground forces including tanks (pretty much never seen in Star Trek).

Prior to 'Star Trek: Armada', this was the only Star Trek RTS. Arguably a Command & Conquer style game isn't that thematically suited to Star Trek, but it could have succeeded with a little more thought. It suffered from a number of problems, such as being unable to save during missions, which could last hours, and be lost easily. I remember feeling that the game didn't really feel like Star Trek, at the time.

37). Star Trek: Shattered Universe (PS2, Xbox)
Developer: Starsphere Interactive | Publisher: TDK Mediactive | 2004

AtrLSyX.jpg

Availability:
Originally released on DVD, available second-hand

Essentially this is a Star Trek arcade dogfighting game, akin to After Burner, Star Fox, and all the successors that came later. Looking at the artwork, it does not look bad, in terms of thematic things, like ship designs. 'Star Trek: Invasion', another dogfighting combat game, accomplished fighter combat in a franchise with very little fighter combat, and succeeded with some grace on PS1. Invasion however was developed by talented Colony Wars veterans. This game was criticised for being quite poorly justified in Star Trek canon and continuity, as well as being generally poor in gameplay terms.

The game featured a story in which Captain Hikaru Sulu (again voiced by George Takei) and the crew of the USS Excelsior find themselves trapped in the Mirror Universe, first seen in TOS "Mirror Mirror" and revisited in DS9. One of the enemies they encounter is a mirror Pavel Chekov (voiced by Walter Koenig). They must do what they can to survive and escape their predicament. The idea was not too bad, it's nice to see Sulu and Chekov any time, and nice to see a ship other than the Enterprise appear as the main protagonist. Just a poor game criticised for it's poor justifications.

38). Star Trek: Encounters (PS2)
Developer: 4J Studios | Publisher: Bethesda Softworks | 2006

F8Gu6vi.jpg

Verdict: Poor

Availability:
Originally released on DVD for console, available second-hand

This is the closest game on the list to being an arcade game. The game is bordering very close to being ineligable for consideration in the Top 40 on grounds that it's gameplay is not thematic to the franchise. Ships behave more like a fast, vehicular, twin-stick shooter. However, it does have some narrative, unlike the most cynical types of tie-in games that damage their franchises today. Like 'Star Trek: Legacy', the main campaign covers every era; each of the original five live-action shows has a story, plus one for the post-TNG Enterprise E era. This narrative at least attempts to frame the unrealistic arcade action in each of those eras. The ENT campaign for example is against the Xindi. That makes it more eligable than if it were purely something out-of-universe like a pinball game. Sadly, even though there is space for something a bit more lightweight in Star Trek's gaming history, the game was met with harsh criticism for it's poor controls and filler content. It was only made and sold because there was nothing much on the Playstation 2 in terms of Star Trek gaming, and someone no doubt welcomed anything as such.

39). Star Trek: Conquest (Wii, PS2)
Developer: 4J Studios | Publisher: Bethesda Softworks | 2007

Z9g4qA9.png

Availability:
Originally released on DVD for console, available second-hand

This game is just 'Star Trek: Encounters', the game directly above, but with a conquest-style campaign mode featuring a galactic strategic map, and selectable generals. For that sake of reference they are just listed together in the rankings like sequels. The concept actually doesnt sound like the worst thing ever, in a console arcade game, AI can auto-battle; but you can apply all of the negative gameplay traits mentioned from Encounters here too.

The idea of creating a Star Trek strategy game for console, was not a bad idea. Imagine for example, something like Nobunaga's Ambition, but with ships, Jem'Hadar soldiers, Andorian shock troops, Klingon grenadiers, Arcturan lancers, Human marines. It would have found an audience, and been fondly remembered. Sadly, this just isn't that game, though I'm sure it has some fans. Reviewers called it an offensive use of a cherished franchise.

40). Star Trek: Starship Creator (PC) / Star Trek: Starship Creator - Warp II (PC)
Developer: Imergy | Publisher: Simon & Schuster | 1998, 2000

0SsejaW.jpg

Availability:
Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com

I have nothing against Starship Creator, but it must be placed last on the list, because it was barely a game. Just a program to mess around in, with little direction or purpose. In Starship Creator: Warp II ships could be exported into 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Dominion Wars'. Quite an interesting and novel concept, but the target game wasn't that great in itself. This means that the program was more of a side app for another game. No doubt some people had fun setting up their starships, so I don't mean to particularly single out these programs for unique approbrium, but something had to come last.

Upcoming Games:

Star Trek: Infinite (PC)
Developer: Nimble Giant Entertainment | Publisher: Paradox Interactive | ????

URDO8hi.png

There hasn't been a Star Trek 4X game in over two decades, or really a strategy game of any kind. This one will feature four factions; The Federation, Klingon Empire, Romulan Star Empire and Cardassian Union. Stellaris has often been cited as a good template for what one could do with today's technology. Publisher Paradox Interactive had the same idea, and have decided to make what seems like a Star Trek themed Stellaris. Can this game become something fans will regard alongside the classics? Star Trek: Birth of the Federation will be a hard game to unseat, given it's timeless quality.

Star Trek Games | In-Universe Timeline:
  • - Star Trek: EGA Trek (2251) [Estimate]
  • - Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (2269) [Estimate]
  • - Star Trek: Judgment Rites (2269) [Estimate]
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (2288)
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1 (2289) [Estimate]
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2 (2290) [Estimate]
  • - Star Trek: Klingon Academy (2291)
  • - Star Trek: Echoes of the Past / Future's Past (2369) [Estimate]
  • - Star Trek: Crossroads of Time (2369)
  • - Star Trek: A Final Unity (2370)
  • - Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard (2371) [Estimate]
  • - Star Trek: Generations (2371)
  • - Star Trek: Harbinger (2371)
  • - Star Trek: The Fallen (2374)
  • - Star Trek: Dominion Wars (2373-2375)
  • - Star Trek: Hidden Evil (2376)
  • - Star Trek: Armada 1 (2376)
  • - Star Trek: Armada 2 (2377)
  • - Star Trek: Invasion (2377)
  • - Star Trek: Away Team (2377)
  • - Star Trek: Bridge Commander (2377)
  • - Star Trek: Elite Force 1 (2376)
  • - Star Trek: Elite Force 2 (2378-2380)
  • - Star Trek: Resurgence (2380)
  • - Star Trek: Online (2409-2411)
Notes:
1 - I’ve placed EGA Trek during the Axanar War against the Klingon Empire, from Beta Canon, before James T Kirk’s command, as the briefing at the start makes clear that an open war has broken out, probably a hypothetical one specific to the game, but it nevertheless fits with the hypothetical Axanar War of the 2250s.
2 - The Interplay duology of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgment Rites likely take place during the third or fourth year of Kirk’s five year mission, as Arex and M’Ress, crew from the Animated Series, are nowhere to be seen, probably joining the crew in their fifth year. Chekov is present here, but absent by TAS.
3 - The Star Fleet Command universe does not entirely align with official canon, but the video game adaptation Star Trek: Starfleet Command II shows Sulu in command of the USS Excelsior; he assumed command in 2290. The game is thus probably set during late Motion Picture era, before Star Trek VI, around say 2290.
4 - Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard must be set before DS9’s “The Way of the Warrior” in 2372, since Kurn and the House of Mogh are still in favour; Worf having not yet sided against Gowron. It is set before Star Trek: Generations, the previous Microprose FPS, which is set in 2371, as the Duras Sisters are alive. I have placed it in early 2371.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Louis_Cypher Thanks for the Star Trek: Resurgence tip. Really enjoyed it, even if it didn't have much gameplay. Considering it's the guys behind Telltale I didn't expect much in this department, so I wasn't too bothered. Actually, they should have just skipped trying to make the shooting gameplay, goddamn, those sections were horrible. Luckily they were few.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Just to add to the Top 40 above, I might as well cross post this recommendation list, from another Star Trek thread. It's basically the stuff that I think fans shouldn't miss, if they are looking to get into Star Trek games. There are three for each genre, depending on whether your interest is FPS, space sims, strategy or adventure games:

lnutEBp.png
LulZXvZ.png
cu48lw9.png

Point-and-Click Adventure Games

The best point-and-click adventure games (a genre that Star Trek excels at), without a shadow of doubt, are:
  • - Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
  • - Star Trek: Judgment Rites
  • - Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity
There are two more; 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger' and 'Star Trek: Hidden Evil' which are less good.

WSErm3R.png
egrkr4Y.png
IXC3zpk.png

First-Person Shooters

Star Trek isn't known for it's wide array of shooters, but nevertheless these are pretty decent.
  • - Star Trek: Generations
  • - Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard
  • - Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force 1
'Elite Force 2' has some annoying enemies, so only play it if you really enjoyed 'Elite Force 1'.

nWXIG3a.png
s78tLFG.png
cRLz4Q4.png

Space Flight Sims

Star Trek used to have some great space-flight sims, but some of them are harder to get working.
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Academy
  • - Star Trek: Klingon Academy
  • - Star Trek: Bridge Commander
'Star Trek: Starfleet Academy' and 'Star Trek: Klingon Academy' have full-motion videos like Dune.

8g6wycK.png
JZf2ods.png
vrIbBRA.png

Strategy or Tactical Games

Birth of the Federation is one of the best 4X games ever made; beloved to this day.
  • - Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1
  • - Star Trek: Starfleet Command 2 - Empires at War
Personally I don't like the 'Armada' series as much, because ships feel too disposable.

To play 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, you require star system names. An early form of anti-piracy copy protection, was that each star system is unmarked in the game, so you would originally have to look inside the manual to see their names. Since people will probably not have the manual printed and on hand, here are the charts for both games, numbered and with stars listed below:

quGJSNe.png

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary map with star system names

fyyFltL.png

Star Trek: Judgment Rites map with star system names

I'm glad that among fans, 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are recognised by consensus as the best of the best.
Indeed, they are.
The grand trio of friends (Kirk, Spock and Bones) are all voiced splendidly by their original actors. Really good games, classic Star Trek.
What is your opinion on Elite Force 1 and 2? They are both FPS games. Elite Force 1 is credited with bringing back Star Trek games as something to take seriously. It also takes place sometime during the original Voyager series, when the ship and crew are stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Elite Force 2 takes place during the time Voyager finally gets back to Earth and then one year after Nemesis.

Each time I play Elite Force 1, my appreciation grows for the game. I did a playthrough around Christmas a couple of years back. Some of the lost ships inside the pocket dimension are very interesting conceptually. Like the Etherean sleeper ship, or the abandoned ancient gunship. On the other hand, I personally don't like Elite Force 2 as much. It was a bit less imaginative, in my opinion, even though the story was still alright. I found the enemies were a bit too much of a bullet sponge, and the game consisted of fighting of a lot of bug aliens with not much personality. There is a mini review of each, back on page 2 if you are interested.

Louis_Cypher Thanks for the Star Trek: Resurgence tip. Really enjoyed it, even if it didn't have much gameplay. Considering it's the guys behind Telltale I didn't expect much in this department, so I wasn't too bothered. Actually, they should have just skipped trying to make the shooting gameplay, goddamn, those sections were horrible. Luckily they were few.

Yeah, I don't know why they made the aiming lookspring back to neutral every time you aimed; if they are gonna have shooting sections at all, why not just have standard shooter controls from a TPS? I can only guess that they thought it would increase the challenge, but it wasn't natural challenge, it was instead forced. Glad you enjoyed it man. I'm still a bit shocked that Star Trek games are being announced again :)

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I enjoyed Resurgence a lot for what it is, an interactive version of a solid episode of TNG/DS9. I hope it's successful and the developers get to make sequels. It's been so many years since we've gotten any good Star Trek content, either from the videogames or the shows.

I hope Infinite is good as well, but maybe it's a bit too much to hope for to get two good TNG-era Trek games in a single year. (assuming it does come out this year)

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I enjoyed Resurgence a lot for what it is, an interactive version of a solid episode of TNG/DS9. I hope it's successful and the developers get to make sequels. It's been so many years since we've gotten any good Star Trek content, either from the videogames or the shows.

I hope Infinite is good as well, but maybe it's a bit too much to hope for to get two good TNG-era Trek games in a single year. (assuming it does come out this year)
I think they were definitely trying to cash in on the TNG/post DS9 nostalgia.
I think it worked, as the game itself seems pretty decent.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Notes:
1 - I’ve placed EGA Trek during the Axanar War against the Klingon Empire, from Beta Canon, before James T Kirk’s command, as the briefing at the start makes clear that an open war has broken out, probably a hypothetical one specific to the game, but it nevertheless fits with the hypothetical Axanar War of the 2250s.
2 - The Interplay duology of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgment Rites likely take place during the third or fourth year of Kirk’s five year mission, as Arex and M’Ress, crew from the Animated Series, are nowhere to be seen, probably joining the crew in their fifth year. Chekov is present here, but absent by TAS.
3 - The Star Fleet Command universe does not entirely align with official canon, but the video game adaptation Star Trek: Starfleet Command II shows Sulu in command of the USS Excelsior; he assumed command in 2290. The game is thus probably set during late Motion Picture era, before Star Trek VI, around say 2290.
4 - Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard must be set before DS9’s “The Way of the Warrior” in 2372, since Kurn and the House of Mogh are still in favour; Worf having not yet sided against Gowron. It is likely set after Star Trek: Generations, the previous Microprose FPS, which is set in 2371. So I have placed it in later 2371.
A few notes on the notes (spoilers galore obviously):
I place Starfleet Command I between TMP and Wrath of Khan; by Wrath the Federation/Klingon relations seem to have deteriorated compared to what they were in TAS and in the Interplay adventure games, which can be easily explained with the disappearance of the Organians and the events of SFC1. SFC2 makes more sense after The Undiscovered Country I think, Federation and Klingons are already on the way to peace and especially the Klingons would be incensed at the idea of having the Organians come back and meddle with their affairs again, very much a "we don't need you anymore, go away" attitude.
I haven't played Generations the game, but isn't it a retelling of the movie's story? Klingon Honor Guard must by necessity take place before Generations because the Duras sisters are still alive and well (and they're not by the movie's end).

Great work as always :salute:

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Notes:
4 - Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard must be set before DS9’s “The Way of the Warrior” in 2372, since Kurn and the House of Mogh are still in favour; Worf having not yet sided against Gowron. It is likely set after Star Trek: Generations, the previous Microprose FPS, which is set in 2371. So I have placed it in later 2371.
A few notes on the notes (spoilers galore obviously):
I place Starfleet Command I between TMP and Wrath of Khan; by Wrath the Federation/Klingon relations seem to have deteriorated compared to what they were in TAS and in the Interplay adventure games, which can be easily explained with the disappearance of the Organians and the events of SFC1. SFC2 makes more sense after The Undiscovered Country I think, Federation and Klingons are already on the way to peace and especially the Klingons would be incensed at the idea of having the Organians come back and meddle with their affairs again, very much a "we don't need you anymore, go away" attitude.
I haven't played Generations the game, but isn't it a retelling of the movie's story? Klingon Honor Guard must by necessity take place before Generations because the Duras sisters are still alive and well (and they're not by the movie's end).

Great work as always :salute:

I forgot Lursa and B'Etor were in the game, that makes more sense!

p43Oidk.jpg

I was a bit biased with SFC because I just wanted to keep them together in the list, for aesthetics; you are right that taking place after Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered country is far more likely for SFC II. Star Trek: Generations was an interesting game, because it can't be canon, having greatly expanded the story of Generations; but it managed to turn that one movie into a small season, with about a dozen missions, bringing in Klingon, Romulan and Chodak bases, exploration onboard a cripplied bird-of-prey, a living planet, archeological ruins, etc. I really think it's a lost classic Star Trek game, despite the deliberatly counter-canon status.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Availability: Originally released on CD-ROM, as-yet unavailable on Steam or GOG.com, recently patched to Windows 10 with an installer at KlingonAcademy.com

Star Trek: Klingon Academy

Louis_Cypher Do you have this patch handy? Can you post it somewhere where I don't have to register at yet another site?

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

Star Trek: Klingon Academy

Louis_Cypher Do you have this patch handy? Can you post it somewhere where I don't have to register at yet another site?
Sorry, I'm not registered either, and haven't installed Klingon Academy in some years... If I remember right, there was a Czech guy who made the patch, or, if not him, he at least did something similar to the one on KlingonAcademy.com. This GOG.com thread seems to discuss it, and you might find instructions and links there:

GOG.com Forums Thread: Klingon Academy now works on modern systems. For real!

The Czech guy's site is:

http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/

Latest version seems to be version 1.32, from March 28th this year.

Neuromancer

Augur
There are two more; 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Harbinger' and 'Star Trek: Hidden Evil' which are less good.
I wouldn't place 'Star Trek: Hidden Evil' in the same category as the others, but define it more as an action adventure.

While it still has some (bad) puzzles, action and shooting are a huge part in it. Also controls and graphics are very different to the other mentioned games.
IMHO it resembles more Alone in the Dark, Bioforge, In Cold Blood or - to a lesser degree - Resident Evil.

But I agree, that the game is just mediocre and I would recommend it only to diehard TNG fans.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wrote a review for Star Trek: Resurgence. You can read it down below, or here.

Resurgence is the ship. Now you know
So, how about this! A new Star Trek game that is actually good. Well, as far as the story goes at least, and the presentation overall. It is lacking in the gameplay department, but what else can be expected from a studio consisting of former Telltale employees? Star Trek: Resurgence is Dramatic Lab’s first game, and to nobody’s surprise the gaming aspect remains as mentioned limited, however, it comes with severely upgraded visuals. Gone is the heavily penciled-in comic book style and is now replaced with full Unreal 3D glory with a semi-realistic approach. To truly enjoy Star Trek: Resurgence it all comes down to personal expectations (as usual), so the sane approach (which I took) is to leave any form of system interaction at the door going in. And if you can do that, you are in for a pretty good time!

My favorite series
The story takes place during the Next Generation timeline, far from any modern abominations thankfully. In this adventure you take control of first officer Jara Rydek (coming to replace a recently diseased “number one”), and engineer Carter Diaz who is already part of the crew of USS Resolute. The two characters differentiate a lot from each other. As Rydek you will be treated as an outsider and will have to work to get accepted as part of the team. Diaz already start liked, but is a lower-ranked engineer compared to Rydek, which comes with its own issues and problems.

Beam me up, Scotty!

As it is, this is not just a Federation crew life simulator. Soon after the quick introductions something odd happens to the Starbase the ship Resolute is docked at. Some kind of massive ION storm knocks things about, and as it turns out, this storm has its origins in the system you are supposed to visit on a diplomatic mission. A very classic Star Trek opening all things considered, which keeps up with the writing all the way to the end – even if certain parts could have been better, like the “action” sections. However, these segments of the game don’t fail thanks to the writing only. They feel tacked on with extremely basic, but at the same time annoying and clunky cover-shooting mechanics. Narrative-wise, the body count does stack a bit high also. This has the effect of making a bit of a joke of the setting since killing dudes is not precisely what Star Trek is known for. It’s especially noticeable as Star Trek: Resurgence seems to play it straight otherwise. It’s a shame, yet, it doesn’t ruin the game. It just feels out of place, and each time these moments comes along I couldn’t wait until it was over.

The first cute captain in Star Trek?
Besides the main narrative, the characters are well-written, but some of the crew might be harder to get a grasp on since it has a pretty large cast to go through. I have a feeling this issue is part of the whole main-character switcheroo thing, as making two main guys come with a loss of focus on certain individuals. This has a bigger effect on the Rydek segments than when playing Diaz, as he interacts with far fewer people, but still plays as large of a role in the story. However, it’s not a huge problem, just a minor notable one, like when you are asked to remember specific characters by name.

Choice and consequences
Star Trek: Resurgence has a very enjoyable story, but it entirely depends on how much you know about the plot going in. See, the mystery of the story hinges on many unknowns that play directly into the mechanics of the game. Knowing any of these “twists” beforehand would devastate the narrative experience since you would know exactly what choices to make for the best possible outcome. This might not differentiate much from any other games in this genre, yet, I feel this has to be pointed out. Even if Star Trek: Resurgence allows for different outcomes during the campaign, I don’t see myself playing this title again. It’s rather long, and the gameplay segments (beyond the shooting) do feel like padding more than anything else. There is very little exploration, and there are zero puzzles – everything, and I mean everything depends on how you view the storyline. It’s a tale that works once, but as soon stuff gets known it loses its luster. So, if you decide you want a taste, it’s vital you start playing it blind.

Where is the option of sending all the proton torpedoes?

There isn’t much to say about the gameplay. As mentioned the only things that matter are the narrative choices you will do during the campaign. Much like all other Telltale games. Now, this might come off as negative, but as an adventure title with a focus on story, it’s delightful. It’s also dramatic in a very traditional Star Trek sense, which makes up for the loss in gameplay. Also, I have to stress this again – having the correct expectations going in will help a lot with turning it from a disappointment to something much more enjoyable.

This looks great
Beyond the good story, the enchanted graphics sure help push Star Trek: Resurgence along. It’s not the best-looking thing I have seen, but the visuals look clean, and I especially liked how the lighting naturally caresses the faces. The only thing that dragged down the presentation is the gorilla-like animations for the Starfleet women when they walk around. Not sure how this “mistake” happened, since one aspect I enjoyed is how feminine Rydek is portrayed, both in her looks and mannerism – a very surprising thing in this day and age. However, the gorilla walk put a hamper on this illusion.

Actual gameplay… in my Telltale game!?
The voice acting is top-notch all around even going so far as having Jonathan Frakes coming back to Star Trek to voice William T. Riker. The sounds and general atmosphere is very much Star Trek, as everything sounds like it should. For some reason, though, the music is spotty. It’s not exactly bad, but it did cut in and out during play with no real rhyme or reason. Highly amateurish, and at some points it felt like the wrong tune was playing not matching the action on the screen. Another issue with the music is how constantly loud it is, drowning out everything else, like the dialogue, making it hard to hear and follow what is going on. I have no idea why it is like this, it doesn’t feel very professional exactly, and it’s also a bit baffling since otherwise the presentation is excellent.

Star Trek: Resurgence is a fine adventure game and at risk of repeating myself; treating it more than a narrative experience makes or breaks this title. The story is great, and the visuals and audio make you feel like are in the TNG universe, which by itself is an awesome feeling. The only thing I find truly lacking is exploration. I would have loved to be able to roam the ship at will, alas, most of the ship exploration is off-limits. It’s a major missed opportunity, and I have a feeling just this aspect alone could have been a seller for devoted Trekkies. Some areas allow you to look around a bit, however, it isn’t much – the game is very focused to push the narrative along. I guess, it all comes down to how much you yearn for a good story in the Star Trek universe. If you are a sucker for anything Star Trek, or just specifically the TNG show, you can’t go wrong here.

Thanks for reading.
It's mostly what have been said already. Telltale style game with minimal gameplay, with a focus on the story.

J1M

Arcane
I've just played through the newest Star Trek game, 'Star Trek: Resurgence', released 23 May 2023, roughly one month ago. This makes a refereshing change to this thread; a new game! This is the first story-driven single-player Star Trek game of note in about 20 years. It is a Telltale visual novel type game, which should give you an idea of what to expect, if you have ever played those. It consists of dialogue choices, episodes of cutscene-driven story, interspersed with simple puzzles and occasional shooting. Fair warning; the game uses the opening musical theme from 'Star Trek: Discovery', despite being 100% set in the TNG era. This was a bafflingly tone-deaf choice considering how hated Discovery is in fandom, but the actual game has little or nothing to do with nu-Trek (barring the main viewscreen now being a window). Suprisingly for a 2023 product, there is no wokeness present, beyond the attitudes of 1990s Star Trek, which I count as a suprising mark in it's favour.

Observations:
  • The story is decent, however not quite as interesting as the Star Trek adventure games of the 1990s.
  • The archeological mystery could have been portrayed more imaginatively, but isn't handled too badly.
  • Modern Star Trek games have a tendency to use up archeological cultures mentioned in the TV show.
  • Puzzles are fairly simple, usually along the lines of opening a panel and inserting an isolinear chip.
  • Shooting sections can be slightly annoying, with lookspring resetting your crosshair while in cover.
  • Some characters use modern patterns of speech; this will date the dialogue faster than the shows.
PWQfvck.png

The game is set in 2380, roughly one year after the events of 'Star Trek: Nemesis', the same year as 'Star Trek: Elite Force II', making it the furthest Star Trek game in the timeline other than 'Star Trek Online'. It takes place on the Centaur-class USS Resolute, a science vessel. You control two members of the crew; newly appointed First Officer Jara Rydek, and engineering crewman Carter Diaz. The Resolute is ordered to proceed to Hotari Prime, to negotiate a peace between two contending alien species, the Hotari and Alydians. Along the way, myteries unfold, as an energy field suspends all starship travel in the vacinity of the planet. The plot heavily features the long dead Tkon Empire, from Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Last Outpost", which flourished 600,000 years before the rise of the United Federation of Planets. Ambassador Spock and Captain William T Riker make tasteful appearances.
Hell, even this sounds more interesting than either Discovery or Picard.
So, game is pretty decent, yeah?
It is not a decent game. It is a decent TNG episode that is several hours long because you have to click for each line of dialog.

J1M

Arcane
Indeed, they are.
They are both good games. Resurgence with Elite Force gameplay would have been a home run.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I finished playing Star Trek: Elite Force Voyager and am now playing Elite Force 2.
Such great games.
Elite Force: Voyager is a Raven shooter, so you probably know what to expect. VERY faithful to the series as a whole (all of the original cast of the Voyager series is present in the game) and the concept of a Hazard Team is really cool. I am surprised it was not made canon, Starfleet could use Hazard Teams to accomplish numerous missions.
The Virtual Voyager mode lets you walk around Voyager and explore the ship. Really cool stuff, I wish Elite Force 2 had a virtual Enterprise, but it was not to be...
Elite Force 2 is also really good, but definitely harder than Voyager.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
I've played through Star Trek: Bridge Commander again, for the first time since the early 2000s. This playthrough was of the main story / single-player campaign only. I played with the Bridge Commander Remastered mod, on Windows 10. While I liked the story, I'm afraid that I have some bad things to say about the game, despite it's reputation among some fans. What I personally experienced, fully updated, with a community-approved overhaul mod, was constant crashes, dialogue layered on top of other dialogue, bad mission triggers, sometimes being attacked or detected during cutscenes, and unfair failure states. In one case, I was told that I had driven off three Cardassian cruisers, after only defeating two, and I continued to be attacked through a 3 minute cutscene. This was not an enjoyable experience, the problems made me angry at the game sometimes. I don't know if the Remastered mod was responsible for any of this, but I suspect the original game was to blame, having never been fixed. I also have to condemn GoG.com, because they increasingly re-release retro games in broken states; I believe it was originally their policy to fix such releases. GoG.com should be patching game-breaking or experience-destroying problems within their games, if they wish to re-release them.

Observations:
  • - The story was quite decently written, better than I remember, and a very decent Star Trek plot.
  • - The ambience and atmosphere of a Next Generation-era starship bridge, was captured very well.
  • - Cameo appearances by Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner as Jean-Luc Picard and Data are well-voiced.
  • - Sadly, these positive aspects were marred by the problems I had regarding stability and gameplay.
  • - Despite the Remaster mod offering 1080p widescreen support, I had problems setting resolutions.
  • - The GUI, menus, etc, were not well laid out, causing clutter; learning key commands is a stopgap.
  • - No saves were allowed during missions, yet there were constant crashes; the unholy duad of gaming.
  • - The game contains unfair failure states, that are too easy to trigger, like a lot of space sims in that era.
  • - Thus, you could spend several minutes getting back to a mission point, through no fault of your own.
sxBzWEN.jpeg

The Maelstrom is an area of space that ranks alongside The Badlands and Briar Patch as one of the most volatile areas near Federation space. Nevertheless, some frontier colonies have been founded there, including on Vesuvi IV, which is undergoing terraforming. The story begins with Captain Wright, of the Galaxy-class USS Dauntless, travelling down to the terraforming station, via Shuttlecraft. The Vesuvi sun enters an artificial eruption, destroying the Shuttle, the colony, and damaging the USS Dauntless. She is forced to retreat from the system to a drydock. After a refit of the damaged systems, your character, the former First Officer, takes command. You proceed to investigate the disaster, and are confronted by Cardassian forces within the Maelstrom.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I've played through Star Trek: Bridge Commander again, for the first time since the early 2000s. This playthrough was of the main story / single-player campaign only. I played with the Bridge Commander Remastered mod, on Windows 10. While I liked the story, I'm afraid that I have some bad things to say about the game, despite it's reputation among some fans. What I personally experienced, fully updated, with a community-approved overhaul mod, was constant crashes, dialogue layered on top of other dialogue, bad mission triggers, sometimes being attacked or detected during cutscenes, and unfair failure states. In one case, I was told that I had driven off three Cardassian cruisers, after only defeating two, and I continued to be attacked through a 3 minute cutscene. This was not an enjoyable experience, the problems made me angry at the game sometimes. I don't know if the Remastered mod was responsible for any of this, but I suspect the original game was to blame, having never been fixed. I also have to condemn GoG.com, because they increasingly re-release retro games in broken states; I believe it was originally their policy to fix such releases. GoG.com should be patching game-breaking or experience-destroying problems within their games, if they wish to re-release them.

Observations:
  • - The story was quite decently written, better than I remember, and a very decent Star Trek plot.
  • - The ambience and atmosphere of a Next Generation-era starship bridge, was captured very well.
  • - Cameo appearances by Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner as Jean-Luc Picard and Data are well-voiced.
  • - Sadly, these positive aspects were marred by the problems I had regarding stability and gameplay.
  • - Despite the Remaster mod offering 1080p widescreen support, I had problems setting resolutions.
  • - The GUI, menus, etc, were not well laid out, causing clutter; learning key commands is a stopgap.
  • - No saves were allowed during missions, yet there were constant crashes; the unholy duad of gaming.
  • - The game contains unfair failure states, that are too easy to trigger, like a lot of space sims in that era.
  • - Thus, you could spend several minutes getting back to a mission point, through no fault of your own.
sxBzWEN.jpeg

The Maelstrom is an area of space that ranks alongside The Badlands and Briar Patch as one of the most volatile areas near Federation space. Nevertheless, some frontier colonies have been founded there, including on Vesuvi IV, which is undergoing terraforming. The story begins with Captain Wright, of the Galaxy-class USS Dauntless, travelling down to the terraforming station, via Shuttlecraft. The Vesuvi sun enters an artificial eruption, destroying the Shuttle, the colony, and damaging the USS Dauntless. She is forced to retreat from the system to a drydock. After a refit of the damaged systems, your character, the former First Officer, takes command. You proceed to investigate the disaster, and are confronted by Cardassian forces within the Maelstrom.
Great!
I also want to replay the game, though I do expect some crashes here and there, that's just the state of the game.
I also must mention that I am playing with the Kobayashi Maru mod.
Overall a very good Star Trek game and story, but not entirely without several issues.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think I tried that Bridge Commander Remastered mod last year and it was a nightmare to get working right and looking good so I said "Phuket!" and I ain't talkin' 'bout planning a vacation to Thailand. The most important thing I learned from this forum was how to appreciate that most modders were mad and sometimes their grandiose visions greatly exceeded their talents and made even Nikolai Tesla look depressed and unambitious. Yet I still occasionally putter about in Modland driving myself partly mad too (yesterday trying to get IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 patched to the latest of 20 community patches under Windows 10 for example. It did not go well.)

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
The sad thing is, 'Bridge Commander' would be a good story, with quite solid gameplay, if it actually worked. I considered playing through the vanilla story campaign with no mods, or trying the Kobayashi Mari mod, straight after I finished, then doing a second review to see if that changed things (in case I'm getting a false impression through Remastered). Maybe another time, as coming right out of the main campaign I didn't feel I wanted to do another run. As it stands right now, it's by far the most 'unstable' Star Trek game I've played in the thread; most never crash. That totally caught me off guard, as my impression was that it would be an easy install and bug-free playthrough, coming from the era of 'Freelancer'.

It's actually, in some ways, more broken than 'Generations', which at least works stably, if you can install it.

I was going to write a Star Trek: Infinite review months ago, close to release, as I did a full Federation and Cardassian campaign playthrough quite soon after launch, but got side tracked wanting to do a Klingon campaign first to test it more fully, so will try to get that posted. Essentially, it's a solid enough game, but has weird choices, such as mission trees that are oddly specific, like 'liberate Bajor', rather than just any planet. Star Trek: Legacy is also something I intend to play this year.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
This is a review of Star Trek: Infinite, a brand-new Star Trek strategy game, and the first official 4X game since the legendary Birth of the Federation in 1999. Fans have been waiting for something like this for years. It was released last year in October; I was ready to review it by November, so apologies for not doing so. I was holding off this review, in part, to see how the game would develop through official patches. It did contain bugs in it's early release; mainly text errors or broken mission triggers. As far as I can tell, post-release patch support ended on Dec 9th last year. Since then there has been no official news of any kind.

Developers once suggested that they might enable playing as minor species at some point. There have been no announcements of expansions yet. There is a possibility that the game has already been abandoned, perhaps suffering low interest, or bad press. Some employees of Nimble Giant Entertainment were recently laid off. A recent post on their Discord assures gamers that they are still interested in further expanding the game, but I expect this will depend on the publisher's interest.

qJTK8hR.png

The action takes place across the Alpha and Beta Quadrants; the local portion of the galaxy, albiet reduced in size. Four playable factions are present: The United Federation of Planets, The Klingon Empire, The Romulan Star Empire and the Cardassian Union. Minor species from the shows populate local space, with their own small states. In general the content here covers Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, as BOTF did. Many local powers are absent from the game, including the Breen Confederacy, Tholian Assembly, Gorn Hegemony and Orion Crime Syndicates, suggesting that some were held back as expansion DLC content.

Before continuing with the review, the game should be contextualised vs. popular Star Trek mods. It is a reskin of Paradox Interactive's 'Stellaris', the most popular space 4X game in recent history. However, there are two very professional Star Trek mods for that game; 'Star Trek: New Horizons', and 'Star Trek: New Civilizations', which both utterly overshadow this official game in scope. It has been suggested that Paradox Interactive saw their popularity, and wanted to publish their own official Star Trek mod. Fans have been waiting for a new Star Trek 4X game for two decades. Sadly, Star Trek: Infinite has far less content than either unofficial mod, although I would say it is still a fun game to play. I am reviewing the game as if they didn't exist, but in reality New Horizons would be in the top ten Star Trek games, if it were official, and is a better simulation of Star Trek's setting than Infinite.

EY7foEp.jpeg

To differentiate itself from those mods, Star Trek: Infinite places itself in a specific historical era, a couple of decades prior to Star Trek: The Next Generation, when tensions were high between great powers following the Khitomer Massacre. It also focuses it's mission tree much more specifically on particular historical events. I wasn't a huge fan of that approach, as for example, Bajor's liberation, or the Enterprise D's launch, are just small events in the history of vast civilizations. The Federation's mission tree in particular is far too focused upon the liberation of the planet Bajor from the Cardassians, and it is very easy to fail this objective early in the game with no way to claim Bajor (as the Federation cannot launch wars of aggression once Bajor is integrated into the Cardassian Union). That can tank an entire Federation playthrough, if you wanted to progress the opional mission tree.

One notable weak point is the soundtrack, which is exceptionally generic, and fails to use any Star Trek motifs. This was super-important to get right in a game where listening to atmospheric music on repeat is 99% of the experience. This music pales in comparison to 1990s games like Inon Zur's work on Klingon Academy, or other excellent music for Starfleet Command or Birth of the Federation. Nevertheless, I did actually enjoy playing the game; 4X games are addictive, in that "just one more turn" way. So it cannot be considered a bad release; judged alone, I would still have to place Star Trek: Infinite somewhere in the top 15 Star Trek games of all time, though it has not unseated Birth of the Federation by a long shot. Further expansions could potentially elevate it.

xJG5R03.png

It should be specifically mentioned, that the game contains some elements of woke political messaging. Is that Cardassian child in the above image wearing a space hijab? One possible event describes a feminist breakaway colony leaving your given empire. Are we expected to believe the Cardassian Union wouldn't crush any separatism brutally? Why was feminism selected as the colony's principle, as opposed to a hundred other more plausible ideological reasons for seperatism? Another event discusses Starfleet paying reparations for land they appropriated in early United Earth history, to build Starfleet headquarters. There are also huge numbers of black portraits for aliens, yet tellingly almost none for other minority groups such as Asians. Bajorans, Trill, Betazoids, Cardassians, Humans, can sometimes appear to be about 60% black species for some reason; in a hobby created for, paid for by, aimed at, a largely white Western audience comprised of 2 billion people of European descent from Russia to Argentina. The normalisation of Europeans becoming minority groups due to mass immigration continues. These elements are peripheral, rarely effecting basic gameplay. However, they should be considered carefully, if you believe, as many do, that globalism is a social and moral evil.

I played through two campaigns:
  • - The United Federation of Planets
  • - The Cardassian Union
Observations:
  • - The game covers galactic political tensions in the wake of the Khitomer Massacre from 2346 onward.
  • - The Romulans perpetrated this massacre of Klingon civilians, but it can be covered up, or blame redirected.
  • - The gameplay is as solid as Stellaris, addictive, and I only experienced a couple of crashes at very late turns.
  • - Mission trees pay too much attention to specific events like the Enterprise D, rather than a grand view of history.
  • - Some mission trees can be completely tanked by the game's own rules, creating unachievable conditions.
  • - An example is the Federation having literally half of it's entire mission tree locked behind liberating Bajor.
  • - Since the Federation can't fight wars of aggression, Cardassian integration of Bajor locks 50% of their missions.
  • - There are elements, such as events, that suggest woke politics, like an event about a breakaway feminist colony.
  • - The soundtrack is one of the thematically weaker ones that I have heard in an official Star Trek game, sadly.
  • - Some of the official artwork is quite good, on par with tabletop RPG artwork from Star Trek: Adventures.
  • - Major personalities ranging from Gul Dukat to Gowron can be recruited as leaders by each empire.
  • - I was not a fan of the inclusion of nu-Trek elements surrounding the destruction of the Romulan sun.
  • - The game could do with more events, and way more minor species, as it's variety is quickly exhausted.
Ta70DN6.png

In the wake of the Khitomer Massacre in 2346, tensions run high between the Federation, Klingon Empire, Romulan Star Empire and Cardassian Union. Each government questions which of the others was responsible. An investigation is launched by each major empire, to determine the perpetrator of the attack. Meanwhile, the Cardassian puppet government on Bajor continues to exploit the planet for it's labour and resources. With each power on the brink of war, alliances are born or shattered, and intelligence agencies like the Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order monitor the situation warily. All are being watched by the cold gaze of mighty aliens from the distant Delta Quadrant, whose formidable Cube-shaped vessels probe ever closer to the major political powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom