Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
U3 GBA was a neat take and surprise ending. It actually has 3 parts to it to complete the whole game. I hated to the dev and he even fixed a few errors. Another chap I emailed finished it before me as I got side tracked. I was going to finish my walkthrough but eh... lazy.

There's a GBA version of U3, or do you mean the fanmade GameBoy version ?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It’s fan made but the first part (the original up to exodus death) is pretty faithful to the original. I’d say it is close to c64 version.

GBA U3 archive

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yes, the GBC version, GBA stands for Gameboy Advanced

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So it’s 4 that’s just impossible; albeit, I didn’t attempt on all platforms.

Well there’s akalabeth as well, ULTIMA 8 (lack of British), probably the virtues of ULTIMA, UUW 1&2, MD, and SE with no way to kill the monarch.

I guess no one wanted to marry the king thus no queen or kids. Soooooo ULTIMA 1 was just a great time to capture and imprison princesses?

Maybe LB is sort of like a Bruce Wayne/Batman. Does that make Chuckles his Alfred?

Last edited:

Dobrojeanu

Novice
Hey lads i seemed to encountered a big problem with Exult, i was messing around with the resolution settings and the game said "if you choose this resolution the game will be unplayable" or someshit like that, i clicked yes because i thought i could simply change the settings in the cfg file, the problem is that the cfg file doesn't work at all, i have uninstalled and installed Exult several times now and whenever i launch the Exult application it is messed up no matter what,i could change it from the in-game video settings but it's so zoomed in the apply button isn't there
seems kinda stupid to me that completely uninstalling Exult and reinstalling it doesn't seem to fix the problem

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Is it saving a configuration file somewhere in your user files which is not being uninstalled with the application? That would be very common.

Dobrojeanu

Novice
Thank you man, had to enable it to show hidden folders and deleted the messed up Exult folder, bless you mate

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Was the ACK ever updated for win 10 use? Is there a better indie engine for a 2D - style ULTIMA 1-5sh? I’m not a programmer so I prefer menu-driven type sets. Of course combat I want is ULTIMA 5 or better but sandboxing would be great.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yep, Max Er egg still runs it. It’s pretty lax these days and playerbase has dropped to nigh extinction. He has implemented a collectible card game in the game I read. The library I general visit for 2 hours (max a day limit) generally frowns on gaming so I avoid playing and just download crap (like gog).

There’s a pretty short list of free ULTIMA like games Er Dransik like that are still up. While I enjoy the solo grinding and hoarding I tend to want something more like options to clear maps and keep them clear except ranndoms. Reset on push of a button. And I’m leaning back to turn-based combat.

Now, I don’t know if there’s a retro devoted thread for remaking old classic games (I’m sure there is). I’ve been looking at some oldies since this bardstale fiasco and wonder if there is a right way developers can remake or update old games for modern machines.

Should a remake have all the options of every version of that said individual game? Should it have an easy mod/construction set to add or subtract content?

Computers and space are so huge today it’s not like you have limited diskette space of Apple II, c64, vic20, pet, trash 80 days.

Dobrojeanu

Novice
I'm in Corvetous level 6 in Ultima 5 and just ran into the room with 4 dragons, all my chars are about level 4 and this game is kicking my ass, this game is hard as fuck and unfairly so, really thinking about giving up, anyone got any tips?
and yes i have all characters decked with magic axes and my avatar is wearing plate and a magic shield and i have no chance against these fuckers and there's no other dungeon in the game i can go do

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Ultima 5 is an extremely open and non-linear game, just turn back and do something else, I'm sure you have plenty other to do until you get more experience. With level 4 characters you should avoid high level monsters like dragons anyways.

And I know it would make your game even harder, but in your place I would discard all those magic axes, they just make positioning and character customization meaningless, and combat boring.

Cael

Arcane
I'm in Corvetous level 6 in Ultima 5 and just ran into the room with 4 dragons, all my chars are about level 4 and this game is kicking my ass, this game is hard as fuck and unfairly so, really thinking about giving up, anyone got any tips?
and yes i have all characters decked with magic axes and my avatar is wearing plate and a magic shield and i have no chance against these fuckers and there's no other dungeon in the game i can go do
Covetous can't be the only one you can get to. There is at least 3 other dungeons on the mainland that you can simply walk to, more if you have a certain item that allows you to cross rivers and shallows.

Dungeons aren't really meant to be cleared until you get a certain item. You can make surgical strikes into them for gold and XP if you know what you are doing, but for a newbie, it is highly not recommended. Dragons and Demons will destroy you whatever level you are. The first summons the latter and the latter just plain possess you and you lose a party member. Rinse and repeat. Get the item first that prevents possession and summoning then clear dungeons.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Steal a bunch of invis rings out of LB's castle, if everyone in your group is invisible things will die very quickly.

Cael

Arcane

Steal a bunch of invis rings out of LB's castle, if everyone in your group is invisible things will die very quickly.
They generally don't last long enough for you to kill 4 dragons with magic axes. You need to rush them with glass swords for that to be effective.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
They generally don't last long enough for you to kill 4 dragons with magic axes. You need to rush them with glass swords for that to be effective.

I don't recall ever having any trouble, but it's been a long time since I played it. Really though he's going about it the wrong way, get rid of all those useless party members, recruit one of the mages and level up with them instead.

Cael

Arcane

I don't recall ever having any trouble, but it's been a long time since I played it. Really though he's going about it the wrong way, get rid of all those useless party members, recruit one of the mages and level up with them instead.
Magic axes take quite a bit of time to kill dragons, and rings of invis are pretty short duration. I don't try dragons without that anti-magic item as a rule, and then you plain don't need the rings.

My favourite party has always been Iolo, Gwenno, Jaana, Mariah and Johne. There is no reason to take pure fighter types after U4, unfortunately.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
I just dump everyone at the inn and go get Mariah or Johnne. Don't quote me, but I seem to recall that when everyone is invis weapons do more damage or at least they sure seem to hit more often there's more to being invis than enemies not just finding you I remember that much. It's true dragons are more of a pain to fight. I usually level up in the demon room, the one with the mage surrounded by demons, can't remember which dungeon that's in right now. Of course I always transfer in from Ultima 4, leveling in this game is a bitch no matter what.

As far as anti magic goes I usually don't need that till way later, not that there's anything to really keep you from getting it early as long as you know where a certain method of transportation is. At the higher end of the game I use a lot of An Tym, I've actually beaten the game solo, but I really don't recommend that.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Is Ultima III a fun game? I always loved the "scavenger hunt" aspect of the Ultima games of exploring the towns, talking to people and getting clues, searching all over the world for items and info, but I think at some point the game becomes a giant grind where you have to get thousands of gold to boost your stats.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Is Ultima III a fun game? I always loved the "scavenger hunt" aspect of the Ultima games of exploring the towns, talking to people and getting clues, searching all over the world for items and info, but I think at some point the game becomes a giant grind where you have to get thousands of gold to boost your stats.

I guess that really just depends on what your definition of fun is. If you enjoy waiting for pirate ships, slaughtering innocent clerics for xp, and robbing Death Gultch over and over again for all that money you need for stat boosts, then yes it's fun.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Except you don't need to do that, try playing it as a Wizardry-inspired dungeon-crawler with disposable party members instead of just safely grinding outside.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Except you don't need to do that, try playing it as a Wizardry-inspired dungeon-crawler with disposable party members instead of just safely grinding outside.

Sure if you want to do it the easy way, might as well make a bunch of dummy characters and steal their lunch money (and lunch) if you're gonna do that.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
At least they got rid of the grind by Ultima VI. I remember playing Ultima V and having a blast with it and I did basically everything on the overworld and my characters were levels 4-5 and then I had to go into the underworld and get the remaining items and grind my avatar up to level 8 and lost interest and quit the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom