Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
7USiSFl.png

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Replaying Ultima 5. I used to think I liked this game the most, but I had more fun replaying Ultima 4. A big part is how you get your characters stronger.

In Ultima 4 you've got the skill orbs in the dungeons, and I like those a lot because with them, you can increase any of your stats in any order at any point in the game, and they tie into the big overarching puzzle of the game regarding the relationships between the 3 principles and the 8 virtues. The 3 RPG attributes correspond to the 3 principles - you can find orbs that greatly increase intelligence in the dungeon Deceit, for example, because that dungeon corresponds to the virtue of honesty, which is the virtue that is purely derived from the principle of truth. I bet if you were smart, you could observe this behavior in the RPG mechanics and deduct the relationships between the virtues and principles without having to search out the NPCs that tell you.

In Ultima 5, you have to go back and forth between the 8 shrines and the Codex on the Isle of the Avatar, which is just a fucking pain. These don't even increase your stats by more than +1 for the 3 pure virtues (you get +1 to strength and dexterity when completing the quest of the shrine of honor, but only +1 to strength when completing the quest of valor; you think that the quests of the 3 pure virtues would increase your stats in the corresponding attributes more than the quests of the combination virtues, which is how it was in Ultima 4), and even then it's only for the Avatar - your companions don't get anything from these Codex trips. The other way of raising stats is to rest, which will cause the ghost of Lord British to appear at random and upgrade one of a character's stats at random. I thought we were past random stat allocation since Ultima 2 pulled this shit but I guess not.

I'm still enjoying my playthrough, and I'm frankly shocked at how replayable these games are. With how Ultima 5 is going, though, unless I find something I really like in my second playthroughs of 6 and 7, I'm probably gonna have to pick Ultima 4 as my all-time favorite Ultima game (maybe tied with Underworld? Gotta replay that one too.)

Ladonna

Arcane
Replaying Ultima 5. I used to think I liked this game the most, but I had more fun replaying Ultima 4. A big part is how you get your characters stronger.

In Ultima 4 you've got the skill orbs in the dungeons, and I like those a lot because with them, you can increase any of your stats in any order at any point in the game, and they tie into the big overarching puzzle of the game regarding the relationships between the 3 principles and the 8 virtues. The 3 RPG attributes correspond to the 3 principles - you can find orbs that greatly increase intelligence in the dungeon Deceit, for example, because that dungeon corresponds to the virtue of honesty, which is the virtue that is purely derived from the principle of truth. I bet if you were smart, you could observe this behavior in the RPG mechanics and deduct the relationships between the virtues and principles without having to search out the NPCs that tell you.

In Ultima 5, you have to go back and forth between the 8 shrines and the Codex on the Isle of the Avatar, which is just a fucking pain. These don't even increase your stats by more than +1 for the 3 pure virtues (you get +1 to strength and dexterity when completing the quest of the shrine of honor, but only +1 to strength when completing the quest of valor; you think that the quests of the 3 pure virtues would increase your stats in the corresponding attributes more than the quests of the combination virtues, which is how it was in Ultima 4), and even then it's only for the Avatar - your companions don't get anything from these Codex trips. The other way of raising stats is to rest, which will cause the ghost of Lord British to appear at random and upgrade one of a character's stats at random. I thought we were past random stat allocation since Ultima 2 pulled this shit but I guess not.

The stat increases are nice, but in these games the deciders are really equipment, hitpoints, spell availability and their uses. I never cared too much a about how my stats were going, and it never seemed to affect how viable my characters were in the long run. I agree with you regarding the way the you had to go between the shrines and the Isle of the Avatar was a pain, but apart from that I found everything else in Ultima V to be superior. Exploration, conversations, item use, combat, dungeons and puzzles, etc.

It's the same as the classes available; In Ultima IV you have a different class for each virtue (8 classes), with different equipment available for each, stat spread, icon, etc. In Ultima V you have four classes, one of those being the main characters "Avatar" class only available to them. It didn't really make a big difference to me though.

Cael

Arcane

The stat increases are nice, but in these games the deciders are really equipment, hitpoints, spell availability and their uses. I never cared too much a about how my stats were going, and it never seemed to affect how viable my characters were in the long run. I agree with you regarding the way the you had to go between the shrines and the Isle of the Avatar was a pain, but apart from that I found everything else in Ultima V to be superior. Exploration, conversations, item use, combat, dungeons and puzzles, etc.

It's the same as the classes available; In Ultima IV you have a different class for each virtue (8 classes), with different equipment available for each, stat spread, icon, etc. In Ultima V you have four classes, one of those being the main characters "Avatar" class only available to them. It didn't really make a big difference to me though.
Most of the classes in U4 didn't really matter. What is the difference between a Ranger and a Bard? Same spell points, same weapons, same armour. Or a Tinker vs Paladin?

U5 made the classes different in many ways due to things like encumbrance of equipment (sum of the weight of all worn equipment vs Strength), magic points being dramatically different, and the pre-built NPC have stat spreads that are tied to their class (and no real way of maxing everything, so the stat spread mattered).

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
how do I VII? (in 2022, without Forge of Virtue)

I don't want to play with the stupid addon which only serves to max your stats PLUS takes the challenge of getting enough money to buy a ship out of the game. And I don't want no stupid tremors either.

Cael

Arcane

I don't want to play with the stupid addon which only serves to max your stats PLUS takes the challenge of getting enough money to buy a ship out of the game. And I don't want no stupid tremors either.
Just don't do it. I believe the tremors only appear at the beginning and then nothing else happens.

Exult also gives you the option of disabling the add-ons for both U7 and U7-2, I think.

Although if you buy a ship in U7, you are doing it wrong...

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

Just don't do it. I believe the tremors only appear at the beginning and then nothing else happens.

rly? I thought they persist until you do the addon content

Exult also gives you the option of disabling the add-ons for both U7 and U7-2, I think.

I've never used Exult, doesn't it fuck with graphics and shit? I will look into it

ok?

Cael

Arcane

I've never used Exult, doesn't it fuck with graphics and shit? I will look into it

ok?
Exult is the only way to play the game on modern machines without fucking with your memory management extensively. U7 is infamous for its... unique... memory management.

Haven't you played U7 before? If not, I won't spoil it for you.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

ok?
Exult is the only way to play the game on modern machines without fucking with your memory management extensively. U7 is infamous for its... unique... memory management.

Isn’t it super easy to do in Dosbox?
Yes, it’s not new to me. And I got a ship every time :lol:

Cael

Arcane

ok?

Isn’t it super easy to do in Dosbox?
Yes, it’s not new to me. And I got a ship every time :lol:
Just... go talk to Rudyom as Lord British suggested :)

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
The GOG version works just fine. I started with Exult but I've come to prefer the DOS version. Exult has numerous quirks that bug me, like the slower movement speed and even jankier combat.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Just beat Ultima 1 (the DOS remake). Mildly amusing way to spend 2 or 3 hours, but I can't see myself ever playing it again. The dungeons were the best part.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Been playing Ultima 2. I applied a patch that fixes the attribute rollover bug, allows you to choose which attribute to upgrade at the Hotel California, and adds new graphical modes, including a "CGA Composite" mode that emulates how the game looked on original displays.
x4J2s9H.png

B5dkway.png

VY0pi1b.png

Game's not so bad. I made a male human thief with high agility, so I was able to buy a sword early and can kill enemies easily. I can use my high agility to easily steal food, so I don't have to worry about cash outside of getting health from LB. I already knew about the blue tassle shit so I got a ship within ten minutes of starting. It's all easy sailing from here.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There's something about those overland graphics in the old Ultima games that activates my nostalgia glands...

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm still pretty partial to the C64 version. Plane (brass buttons) is the best way to travel around (gotta get one in each area). Horse was ok, but I forget if it reduced food consumption all that much. Funny guards have all the keys. Does that patch stop items from rolling over too? Boat bridges were hilarious. This game really needed an upgrade like ultima 1. I hate that there really is no ranged usage. (Cannons only adjacent etc). I never played it in cga composite. I think there is a VGA mode I played, though (god i can't remember on DOS). You want a hoot? Try the FM-Towns version (or similiar). Oh lord. It is almost like it has additional content. (damn pity the story screens aren't translated IN-GAME but I believe I found translations or did so later on myself. Different versions sometimes have different content (same with the ultima 3 ending). Where was that patch again?

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
There's something about those overland graphics in the old Ultima games that acticates my nostalgia glands...
Same, even though even my father was barely even alive when this game came out. It has a timeless quality that can be appreciated by anyone, regardless of prior experience.
You want a hoot? Try the FM-Towns version (or similiar). Oh lord. It is almost like it has additional content. (damn pity the story screens aren't translated IN-GAME but I believe I found translations or did so later on myself. Different versions sometimes have different content (same with the ultima 3 ending)
I've never seen those. You should post them.
Where was that patch again?
It's included in this utility that can patch every Ultima game.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
OK, Ultima 2 was kinda cool until I realized that I would be grinding for gold for several hours

Cael

Arcane
OK, Ultima 2 was kinda cool until I realized that I would be grinding for gold for several hours
U1-3 are like that. The food consumption is retarded. They toned it down considerably in U4, but even then, it can get dicey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom